Radiances

Parallel Paths

 

I glance at my watch and see that it is still rather early at only five pm and the library doesn't close until nine, so I guess I'll stay and find "Charm Assistants Vol. 5."
I lay "Chants and Charms for Discovering Yourself" down on the floor to my side and start checking the bookshelf located right in front of me. Eventually I make it through half of the basement library and when I get to the back wall, located opposite of the staircase, on the bottom shelf is volumes one through fifteen of "Charm Assistants."

Basically laying on the floor I run my finger along the spines of the books until I come to volume five at which point I grab it and sit upright. Turning to the back of the book I look in the index until I find "Aura Charm" then turn to the page instructed. 

I know I've turned to the correct page since at the top of the page it says "Aura Charm" underneath which is reads "This charm is required to be performed before reciting the "Soul-Searching Charm" as it assists one in recognizing the most important people in one's life." Okay. . . Whatever that means.

Further down the page is the "assistant" charm itself:

Let the colors important to my life reveal themselves so that I may tell who is who no matter past, present, future, or any time in between.

I stare at the charm awhile, memorizing it, before moving on. 
Beneath the charm it says to perform it at least a day before the "Soul-Searching Charm" and to be sure to meet up with as many people as you know after correctly reciting the charm.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but I take one last glance at the charm before bending down and putting "Charm Assistants Vol. 5" back where it belongs, struggling a bit to squeeze it in between volumes four and six.
Walking back to the where I left "Chant and Charms for Discovering Yourself" laying on the floor I pick it up and  put it back onto its own shelf. 
Stopping at the bottom of the stairs I recite the “Aura Charm” before heading up into the actual library.


Exiting the hidden staircase I stand in front of it until I hear the click signaling that it has closed properly. After that I turn to my left and head upstairs, ending up in the science section. I scan through the books eventually picking one about astrology. 
It looks mildly interesting and this way it'll look like I was actually milling around the library instead of performing some charm in the secret room located in the basement.

I make my way through the bookshelves and find the opening where Sungjong is located, stopping before the entrance and glancing around to see exactly where Sungjong is. 
When I finally see him I have to stifle a gasp as I notice a soft pink color surrounding him. 
What the heck is that? 
I glance at my watch and see that it's almost six pm which means Sungjong will be leaving soon; 
I better leave.

It's not that I dislike Sungjong, we live in the same apartment building, chatting every once in awhile, but I still find it awkward to be around him sometimes.

I don't turn away from the opening quick enough though as I hear Sungjong call out to me, "Sunggyu-hyung! You're here again?"

I suppress a chuckle as I turn around, "I could say the same thing to you Sungjong."

Sungjong smiles, “Are you leaving now hyung?"

"I have to check out this book first and then I'll be going back home."

"Okay then I'll go with you." 

I nod my head as Sungjong and I head down the spiral staircase. 
Sungjong is ahead of me and still talking, but I’m not really hearing anything that he’s saying since I'm too caught up in trying to figure out what the pink glow around him is.
I'm so focused on the glow that I don't even notice that I'm at the bottom of the staircase already and I trip, only to be caught be none other then Nam Woohyun. 

"Hyung if you wanted me so badly you could have just said so" Woohyun says with a wink.

I scoff as I shove Woohyun away, but my eyes go wide as I realize that he has an emerald green glow surrounding him. 

"Whoa! Gyugyu! You actually have eyes!" Woohyun exclaims.

With that my eyes narrow, before I walk over to Sungjong who is basically doubled over in laughter at my expense and smack his head.

"Owww! Hyung!"

"Let's go Sungjong."

With that I start weaving my way between bookshelves hoping to lose Woohyun before he can catch up.
I semi-hear Sungjong talking to me again but my thoughts are a little preoccupied. 
As I'm about to pass another section of shelves I notice a yellow and purple glow out of the corner of my eye.
I stop dead in my tracks which causes Sungjong to ram into my back. Luckily I stay standing and Sungjong is the one who falls, grumbling something like 'what the hell hyung' but I'm busy staring at the two people who are currently dwelling in between the shelves stocked with comedy books to respond. Standing between the shelves Lee Hoya, also a performing arts major, is attempting to get Dongwoo onto his back since he apparently didn't wake up from his nap earlier.

This isn’t that shocking since Dongwoo is a heavy sleeper and it's a known fact that Hoya and him are good friends. What made me stop was the fact that Hoya has a deep purple glow around him while Dongwoo has a sunshiny yellow. Even with the two of them being so close the colors don't mix and clearly encompass each of them separately. 
I feel a nudge in my side and whip around only to be met by Sungjong giving me a strange look, so I give him one right back. It's not until I look in front of me that I comprehend that the nudge was to notify me that I was staring and that Hoya is staring right back at me. 
Trying to get rid of some of the awkwardness I ask Hoya if he needs any help with Dongwoo.
"Nah, I got him, thanks though" 
With that Hoya walks away with a soundly sleeping Dongwoo on his back.
"Since when have you spoken with Hoya" Sungjong inquires.

Now it's not that I dislike Hoya, he's just relatively quite and appears unsociable at times. Plus since Dongwoo and him are usually together, if you approach them to talk Dongwoo ends up answering first, or at least that's what happens every time I try to talk to him. Otherwise I never see him alone or else we would probably be more comfortable talking to each other. 

I simply shrug in response to Sungjong and continue walking until I reach the check-out desk. Once there I stay calm and hand the book I want and my library card to Myungsoo who has a light blue glow around him.
"Here you g-" Myungsoo starts as he hands back the book and my card only to be cut off by none other then Sungyeol.

"MYUNGSOOOOOOO!!!!!" 

Sungjong and I watch as Sungyeol runs into the library, progressively getting louder the closer he gets to us, which is thankfully enough time for me to step back and Myungsoo to come out from behind the desk. Then Sungyeol throws himself at Myungsoo, who somehow withstands the impact.

"Myungsoo Myungsoo Myungsoo!!!"

"What Yeol-"

"Guess what happened!"

"Wha-"

"I WON THE LOTTERY!!!" Sungyeol screams right into Myungsoo's ear. 

"Hyung I think we should go" Sungjong says at my side. I nod and mouth 'Bye' at Myungsoo. He does the same before returning his attention back to Sungyeol who has moved onto waving his supposedly winning ticket in front of Myungsoo’s face.

We walk to the bus stop in silence as I ponder why everyone has a strange glow surrounding them; Sungyeol had a bright red enveloping him.

Moving my thoughts about the weird glows to the back of my head I focus on the present. We’ve arrived just in time to get onto the bus.

As I turn around to make this remark to Sungjong I see that he has his headphones in. He raises his eyebrows but I just shake my head, it’s not that important.

As we take our seats I glance around at the other people riding the bus. There’s an elderly man, a mother and child, and what seems like a couple of high school girls. I take a peek at my watch to see that it’s only about six thirty and then return to observing the other occupants of the bus. They all seem to have a light gray glow to them and I can’t think of a reason why. Why would everyone at the library have a specific color and not anyone else? I turn towards Sungjong expecting him to possibly be gray as well but he’s still shining pink no matter how I look at him.

The bus comes to our stop and we get off, continuing to walk to our apartment building. I’m in the lead as Sungjong follows. As we past people on the street everyone has a gray color surrounding them no matter what age or size.

Entering our building we go straight to the elevators and up to our floor. Once there I bid farewell to Sungjong and head into my own apartment.
It’s Sunday and I already have my school work done so I watch some TV before showering. When I enter the bathroom I immediately notice that there's a caramel glow faintly outlining my body, which I promptly decide to ignore, opting to skip my shower and end up falling asleep wondering what the heck is going on.