Paved Road

Running Love

Jae Suk, on the other hand, was wondering if he had made the right decision of openly confessing his love for Kwang Soo. He had not heard from Suk Jin for a while now, and this worries him.  Usually Suk Jin would pester him, waking him up in the middle of the night just to tell him that the stocks that he had invested in had profited, but it has been two days that the older brother did not make any contact with him. Not even meeting up in school. He tried to find Suk Jin, he really did, but he's either down with a flu or he was avoiding him, like Kwang Soo and Jong Kook and every other person of their little group of friends.

 

Both Suk Jin and Kwang Soo are important to him. He had a crush on both of them, his love for Kwang Soo coming a little late than Suk Jin's, but still the both of them held an important place in his heart. He was frustrated, and was going to make a change. This could be the day everybody come clear with their feelings.

 

That is, if he could get everybody together in one place firsthand.

 


 

It was Jong Kook's fourth hour in the local gym near his house. The kind boss' daughter, Miss Bong Sun, had been worried about Jong Kook. Usually he cowers at the sight of her, but today he continued lifting the weights as if she was a friend watching him.

 

She waited until her patience grew thin before asking, "Jong Kook, don't you have school?"

 

"I don't want to go to school, noona." Jong Kook grumbled, and Bong Sun knew that it couldn't be pesky stuff like homework and teacher and bullies, because Jong Kook could handle all of them well. This worried her even more.

 

"What's wrong?" She asked, her tone genuinely concerned, as she stopped his weightlifting by abruptly snatching it away from him. It was a rare display of strength, and the moment Bong Sun lifted it off Jong Kook's grasp it felt like gravity was screwing her a thousand times over. She was going to fall over the floor with a loud thud, but Jong Kook quickly and calmly grabbed the weights back in an impossible speed.

 

"He did that to me before, too." Jong Kook whispered to himself, which Bong Sun did not miss, despite that the weights nearly crushed her alive.

 

"What was that?"

 

"I said, Kwang Soo did that exact thing to me before. He tried to take away my weights because he thought I wasn't paying attention, and I saved him just like I saved you just now. He doesn't know that his voice is the only thing I'm concentrating on. I mean, look at him chatter away, it's so dorky yet adorable."

 

"Everybody knows you love Kwang Soo, Kookie. You haven't told me what actually happened that made you act this way. Don't make me force it out of you."

 

Jong Kook considered against his odds, and decided on telling. "Jae Suk said he loves Kwang Soo."

 

"What?!"

 

"He confessed it when Min Soo hyung asked him about it."

 

"Yeah, so?"

 

"And then... And then I kissed Kwang Soo."

 

"You what?!" Bong Sun shrieked, her fist tightened a bit upon this piece of news. "You kissed him? Where?"

 

"At one of the main corridors. On the lips."

 

Bong Sun looked as if she would faint right there and then. But she regained her self-control as expected.

 

"But why would you do that?"

 

"He may not know it, but I've always considered Jae Suk hyung as my rival. And I figured that that was the better way to win against the grasshopper."

 

"And you seriously think that by kissing your mutual love interest is going to bring you that victory? Grow another brain, oppa. All those muscles are cramping up your ability to think."

 

 

Suk Jin was many things. Smart, loud, awkward, can be quick-witted when needed, but strong-hearted was not in his description. He knew he needed attention; if he wasn't loved he couldn't perform well. He knew he was dependent, because he knows he is the supporting character, and his job is to aid whoever main star he's supporting. He had it in him to be hurt and abused, and he was always prepared for it, but this impact was bigger than anybody else's.

 

He was always smiling to cheer everybody on, consciously giving him the moral support he deserves as well, so that he would not break so easily. Even though he was forcing himself to keep smiling for his sunflower, his Jae Suk, but when the darkness comes, he often found himself silently crying into his bedsheets, and he doesn't even want to know why. He let the ache grow in him, feeding it with memories of their past together, making it consume him without much effort.

 

He could accept that Jae Suk had a different leaning. He was eagerly hoping for it during the few years he had realized that he likes the cheeky student president. But when the news of Jae Suk liking Kwang Soo hit him like a freight train, his fragile heart could take it no more, and he immediately fell into a deep hibernation, excusing himself from the life he was supposed to lead.

 

He refused to go to school, but he had nowhere to hang out, so he went there eventually, but whenever he remembered something memorable that happened between the both of them, the ache grew a little, and he broke down crying at the school's garden, which was hidden from plain sight.

 

And that was when Joong Ki stumbled onto him. He was thinking of leaving, but then it was heart-breaking to see his hyung like this. Joong Ki offered a shoulder to lean on, and Suk Jin told him all about the pain he was feeling, and how he wished for nothing but all of them to continue be friends, like nothing had ever happened.

 

But when the hands of fate started moving, nobody could stop them from paving the future.

 

Unless an obstacle happened to get in the way.

 

~TBC

A/N: I really love this site's features~ We can add pictures and stuff, it's really daebak! Wait till I got my drawing tablet, then I'll draw some related fanarts for this fic! (: