The Vegetable Juice Incident

Running Love

“Hey, Jae Suk!” Suk Jin came running down one of the many corridors of Running High, clutching a stack of books in his hand, a bag slinging behind him, and a flustered expression on his face. The student president stopped in his tracks, whipping his head around at the voice of his best friend.

 

 “What happened?” Jae Suk asked the red-faced Suk Jin, and waited patiently for him to regain his breath.

 

“Jong Kook. He’s picking another fight with Kwang Soo again!” Suk Jin grunted under his breath, and he used a finger to push his glasses up higher as they were slipping down because of the building sweat.

 

“Jeez! Can’t both of them get along for once?” Jae Suk groaned and followed Suk Jin’s lead to where the one-sided fight took place.

 

They reached the school’s foyer, where a crowd had already formed by the time they arrived. Shouts from Jong Kook and whines from Kwang Soo can be heard, even from the distance and the murmurs of the crowding students.

 

“I’m sorry, hyung, please forgive me!”

 

“Sorry?! You’re never sorry, Kwang Soo! Now look at what you’ve done with my shirt!”

 

“Excuse me, coming through!” Jae Suk yelled through the crowd, managing to put himself in between the two students. Kwang Soo’s figure is close to bending over at the yells of his senior, and if it was a dramatic drama series there would be tears b in his eyes right now.

 

Meanwhile, Jong Kook was glaring knives at Kwang Soo, a small growl occasionally coming out from between his clenched teeth. Jae Suk took a look at Jong Kook’s attire and the thing in Kwang Soo’s hand to realize what had happened.

 

The junior had spilled a bottle of vegetable juice onto the senior.

 

“Jae Suk hyung!” Kwang Soo looked like the angels had answered his prayers, quickly hiding himself behind the spectacled authority’s back. “I said I was sorry, but Jong Kook hyung wouldn’t…”

 

“Yoo Hyuk! Look at what he did to me!” Jong Kook yelled, showing Jae Suk his stained shirt. “I asked him to get a drink for me, not my shirt!”

 

“That’s why I said I’m sorry!”

 

“Okay, okay, hold up.” The president finally spoke, stretching his arms out beside him, as if protecting his dongsaeng from the raging football player. Another arm reached towards Jong Kook, making distance between them. “I can ask for a fresh uniform.”

 

Jong Kook stared at the junior in hiding, then back to the protective senior in front of him. He darted his eyes back to Kwang Soo, taking in his quivering expression, noticing how the little sweat he always broke out when he’s scared out of the blue made his hair stick to his forehead, and how his teeth sank into his lips like they’re the cutest thing ever.

 

Finally, Jong Kook sighed. “I’ll be over at the Students’ Care.  Pull something like that again, and I will beat you up for sure.” With his final warning, Jong Kook strode off.

 

Kwang Soo heaved a sigh of relief behind Jae Suk. He patted his racing heartbeat, and his legs gave way to the concrete floor. Jae Suk smiled and kneeled beside Kwang Soo, oblivious of the passing students who were giving them looks for partially blocking the way.

 

“What would I do without you, Yooruce?” Kwang Soo whispered breathlessly, and took a swig at the remaining vegetable juice. “And how does Jong Kook hyung tolerates this drink every day is a mystery!”

 

“There, there. It’s okay now.” Jae Suk patted Kwang Soo on his back as Suk Jin managed to break through the dispersing crowd.

 

“Hey, Kwang Soo. Are you okay?”

 

“Nearly died, but I’m fine.” Kwang Soo smiled weakly and with Jae Suk’s help, he stood up again. Suk Jin nodded to himself. “Fine then. I guess I’ll be getting along! I still have to go to the library, and then there’s the Dance Club meeting later, and I don’t want to be late or anything.”

 

“Hey, I’m the president of the Dance Club too, so take your time.” Jae Suk reminded his junior to not rush everything.

 

“And that’s why I’m going to be punctual because you’re the best hyung!” Kwang Soo gave Jae Suk a hug, which Jae Suk also returned it with a firm hug of his own.

 

When they pulled away from each other, Jae Suk ran his fingers through Kwang Soo’s messy hair, combing them into place while the younger male froze on the spot.

 

“There. You look better now.” Jae Suk said, almost in a lovingly tone, and Kwang Soo came back to his senses a while later, retorting with “You’re not my mother!” or something along the lines, before excusing himself from his two seniors.

 

“You’re going to spill your own secret someday, Jae Suk.” Suk Jin muttered bitterly.

 

~TBC