Chapter 16

Love You More

The couple were out for lunch in a fast food restaurant. It was another nice Saturday with extra class in the morning. Different from the previous week, they didn’t plan for anything today, because they were both well aware that today was the last day of Byunghun’s stay in the living world. Ji Kyung had told her boyfriend that she wanted to stay home with Byunghun to cherish the last moments together, and Myungsoo did not refuse.

After lunch, the two took the bus back to their condominium. Upon boarding off the bus, they walked a short distance to go home and saw Byunghun waiting at the beginning of the stairs, smiling nonchalantly at the couple who looked sour in return.

Geez, not you too, Myungsoo?

Byunghun shook his head in disagreement with the couple’s expressions, then led the way up the stairs without a word. Ji Kyung released her grip on Myungsoo’s hand, then jogged up to match Byunghun’s pace. Still, they walked the flight of stairs in silence, for Ji Kyung was unsure of what to say. When they reached their home, Byunghun sat himself down on the sofa and spaced out for a couple of moments, and when Ji Kyung seated herself beside him, he finally opened his mouth.

When are you guys planning to get married?

Ji Kyung touched the ring on her finger fondly, admiring the beauty of the shining diamond decorating her hand and smiled to herself satisfyingly. “Probably five months from now. After our graduation.”

“Will you come?” The girl asked after a moment of quietness. Byunghun averted his gaze onto her, but she could see that his brows were slightly furrowed together. She immediately knew that his answer would be negative.

I’m afraid not. But I’ll try my best to beg the divinity to allow me to visit again, I guess. No promises though…

Ji Kyung’s shoulder still dropped in disappointment upon hearing his answer, even though she had already somehow expected that. In her mind, she selfishly wanted him to witness her happiness and to see how she was finally able to let go of their past. But again, she understood his complicated situation, so she decided that she should not get her hopes high on this matter. She didn’t say anything for some time, just looking at him as her mind wanders off to reminisce about their story. She observed him carefully for the last time, and thought about how he used to be her love, her youth and someone who played a huge role in her life. Nonetheless, fate had brought them to such a situation where he no longer is a part of her present and will never be her future. It was a shame, but maybe everything happened for a reason, she thought to herself.

“I’ll be happy.” She finally said, looking at him with tears b from her eyes. No matter what, farewells like this were always difficult for her, but she wanted to promise him that she will live well in his absence, so that he would not have to worry anymore. Byunghun nodded knowingly as his lips curl up gently.

---

“When are you leaving?” It was already past dinner when the three of them sat down in the living room watching a movie. When Myungsoo threw the question at Byunghun, the latter lad was still focusing on the movie and winced by instinct at the scene of someone stabbing another.

After this movie.

He said, his eyes were still stuck on the screen, but now an apologetic look was plastered on his face when another scene began to play. Ji Kyung turned to him and blinked a few times in confusion, surprised at how cool Byunghun just sounded when he was supposed to be bidding them goodbye, forever, very soon. Apparently, Myungsoo was looking at him in disbelief too. Byunghun shrugged his shoulder when he felt the couple staring.

Geez, stop looking at me like that, haven’t you guys heard of c’est la vie? It’s not a big deal.

“Well, true.” Myungsoo replied, trying to sound as unconcerned as Byunghun. Ji Kyung looked at Myungsoo with a raised eyebrow, pressed her lips together and said nothing in the end. The three continued to watch the movie for the next 15 minutes as the of the movie catches their attention back. When the end credits rolled, Byunghun finally let out a sigh to express his slight reluctance to leave. The bitter-looking guy looked around his surroundings for a good old minute, then back at the couple and quickly replaced the bitterness with a smirk.

I guess I’ll have to go now, any last words?

Myungsoo had a sad smile on his face, because although Byunghun used to be annoying to him, he wouldn’t deny that the guy’s presence spiced up a little of his life in a good way. Byunghun made him realizes once again on how much he cared about and loved his girlfriend. Along the way, the both of them had somehow built an odd friendship between them (even though they would rather die than to admit that). Thus, when it comes to the moment of parting with Byunghun, Myungsoo’s heart instinctively reacted with an unexplainable ache and sourness. He inhaled deeply and sighed. Myungsoo really didn’t expect that this farewell would be difficult for him too.

“I don’t know… Maybe, rest in peace?” Nevertheless, Myungsoo chuckled as he responded in a cheeky way. He wanted them to make the last moment as happy as they could, and to send Byunghun off on a good note. It worked, because his response made Ji Kyung burst out in a giggle and Byunghun rolled his eyes.

The three fall back in silence after that, and now Byunghun was eyeing Ji Kyung to await her final words. The girl was clearly thinking about something, her hands slowly clutching the hem of her shirt in an apprehensive manner.

“Is it possible…” She hesitated for a while with her sentence, then continued anyway, “To hug you like a real person?”

Byunghun crossed his arms and thought about her request carefully, then let out a sigh and released his arms. The lad nodded his head slowly with a tender smile casted over his face, signaling to her that it’s a yes. He opened up his arms to her, and she went over doubtfully to wrap her arms around his body, then rested her head on his chest. To her surprise, she could feel the warmth she had never felt before, and she was indeed, very content with it. Byunghun chuckled when he saw the little grin on her face, so he ruffled her hair playfully and said to her,

This is it, Ji Kyung. Take care, okay? I guess we will meet again someday. Goodbye.

She nodded in his arms, then returned him a goodbye just before he fades off into thin air. A cold breeze brushed through her body, and tears began to fill her eyes. Byunghun was truly gone by then, and she knew that she will be spending some time, maybe weeks or months, to completely get over his absence. When Myungsoo saw her sobbing, he wasted no time to walk over to her side and rubbed away her tears softly, then pulled her into another tight embrace to bring solace to his grieving girl.

Thank you.

And that marks the last time Myungsoo ever heard the strange voice ringing in his ears. He smiled bitterly and mouthed “you're welcome” to himself.

---

The next few months had its ups and downs. There were days of relapse for Ji Kyung, where she would weep in her sleep or skipped meals to grief, but generally, she was coping fine with her loss, especially because Myungsoo was always ready to be there for her. And then, there were days where the both of them would fall back into the nostalgic feelings, especially when they walked the streets that Byunghun had walked with them before as well as when the both saw the things that reminded them of Byunghun. Although they would feel the emptiness lingering in their hearts whenever that happens, they persistently supported each other and slowly, they were then getting used to the new life. The memories remained bittersweet, but they gradually became something that doesn’t affect their emotions significantly anymore.

By the time the young couple graduated from college, Myungsoo had asked if Ji Kyung would like to move back into the house she used to stay with Byunghun. Ji Kyung was initially reluctant to agree to his idea, because she thought that it would be painful to stay there as everything reminded of their past. But Myungsoo persuaded her, telling her that they could refurnished the whole house and face the memories together. If they were together, he believed that one day she can overcome the pain, and they would create new beautiful memories that dominate the old ones. In the end, she was convinced and agreed to move back into the house. They spent about a couple of months decorating the house and re-structured everything, but by the time it was finished, they figured that everything was worth it. The house looked brand new with the new furnishing, painting along with styling, and it was no longer recognizable as the old, depressing-looking vacant house that was previously left unattended for years. Needless to say, they were very satisfied with the end product, and Ji Kyung was glad they had made the choice to push back the wedding for this.

Another few months later, the couple were ready to get married. A few days before their big day, Ji Kyung unexpectedly received a sweet surprise from someone she thought she would never see again since that day.