Chapter 7

Love You More

It took a 30-minutes’ drive to arrive the mystery location. They drove through a few of the busy streets, passed through highways and entered a neighbourhood which did not ring a bell in Myungsoo’s memory. After watching the taxi drove past a couple of landed houses accompanied with rows of bushes, the taxi finally stopped in front of a small house and Ji Kyung paid the driver with some cash. The both stepped out after thanking the driver, and Myungsoo had his eyes fixated on the white painted house all the while, his mind churning for some answers but failed.

“Where... is this? Ji Kyung?” He finally asked.

The house in front of them didn't look very old, but it looked like it was vacant for some time. Aside from the occasional chirping from the birds and the rustling sound of leaves on the trees, the surroundings were very quiet and peaceful. Ji Kyung was standing a couple of steps away from the door, with the keys dangling in her hands as she observed the house for a moment without a word. Her mind had travelled down the memory lane once again, and it almost felt like Byunghun was still alive when she heard his laughter, his nagging, his husky, attractive voice coming from inside the house. When she unlocked the door and pushed it in, she could still remember his presence in every corner of the house, she recalled their precious memories and she was, as well, almost convinced that his scent was still lingering in the still air. Or maybe her mind was playing tricks on her again.

Another minute passed by, and the girl was brought back to the cold, cruel reality. Now, she looked around the house for the second time, and the atmosphere had turned to nothing but coldness. Following behind her, the puzzled Myungsoo waited patiently for her to explain herself. Without further delay, Ji Kyung in a deep breath and faced her current boyfriend. Her eyes glistened with tears of nostalgia, but she tried to replace the sad expression with a weak smile.

“This." She murmured, loud enough for him to catch on before she continued on with a louder voice.

"...Was where I used to live with Byunghun, briefly, after we graduated from high school."

The saddened girl tried to maintain control over her overwhelming feelings, but tears were still trickling down her cheeks without mercy. A single drop, followed by another and another... Quickly, she wiped the tears away with her bare hands and observed Myungsoo's reaction. Unfortunately, there was no clue to what he was thinking about, and she could only see a blank look on him as he roamed around the house silently. After several moments, he finally stopped back in front of her and raised a question, a question that he must have been pondering about this whole time,

“Why did you bring me here?”

“Tomorrow... It will be Byunghun’s death anniversary.” She replied, lowering her head slowly and pursed her lips into a thin line.

He was taken aback by her statement. But he wondered again, about the true purpose of her bringing him here. At first glance, it wasn’t wise for her to be boasting about how she stayed under the same roof with her ex-boyfriend before to him. He stared at Ji Kyung, still slightly lost and out of the picture. However, he thought that maybe, maybe she was screaming for help in letting go of her terrible past, and this was the first step for her, to be confronting the memories with him by her side.

Glad she still remembers it.

His train of thoughts was interrupted by the familiar faint voice. Myungsoo felt a cold touch on his shoulder and he cringed by instinct. He shifted his body to get a view of the third guy, an unwelcoming look plastered on his face.

“Yeah, so now what?” He whispered, as softly as he could get.

Hahaha... You’re jealous, aren’t you?

The reaction he had gotten back made him feel mocked and he hated the feeling. Because of that, he was enraged but he only shot Byunghun a good old glare instead of picking a fight. The latter laughed as he walked over to Ji Kyung in careful steps. Byunghun halted his steps in front of her, and to Myungsoo’s surprise, Ji Kyung was seen lifting her chin up to meet the ghost’s eyes. Tears gushed out from her eyes as she stared longingly ahead, but on a closer second look, she was staring through Byunghun. Somehow, a relief sigh escaped Myungsoo’s mouth, but then again he was unsure if he should actually be happy or frustrated that she could not see her ex who was giving him a load of headaches.

He addressed her name worriedly when there was still no sign of stopping of her tears. Only when she heard his voice, she got startled for a second before rubbing away her tears and hid her sadness behind a grin as she shifted her gaze towards him.

“I-I’m sorry, I was thinking about the past again.”

“I’ll go get you some water.”

The guy replied shortly and left the bedroom to get his bag in the living room. To be honest, he felt uncomfortable and bitter being in this space because of the knowledge that it held so many memories of her past relationship, so he excused himself to get out of her sight. A part of him pitied Byunghun again for his fated short life span, but his heart was mainly sour about how Ji Kyung still prioritized her ex.

When Myungsoo finally made up his mind to head back in with a bottle of water in his hand, he heard Byunghun talking to her. But of course, she was still staring emptily into space, probably waiting for him to get her the bottle of water as promised or just plainly spacing out.

Ji Kyung-ah, remember those times we spent together? You really changed my life, without you, I might have been murdered earlier on a random street for other reasons. But because of everything that has changed, I died in a different way. I died with honour and meaning, because I was able to protect my loved one from getting hurt. I would say I died in a satisfying way, so don't cry anymore, alright?

Byunghun attempted to wipe dry her tears. Nonetheless, to Ji Kyung, it was just a slight breeze brushing across her face gently. Myungsoo walked over and handed her a tissue while cautiously eyeing Byunghun to catch his expression. The pitiful soul did not say anything nor was he looking at Myungsoo. But Myungsoo knew that deep inside, Byunghun must have had the urge to embrace the girl in front of him and console her. But he couldn’t, anymore. Byunghun then heaved a heavy sigh, shaking his head off the tangled thoughts in his mind and placed both his arms around the girl gently. In a split second, Myungsoo’s heart sank by itself when he witnessed the hug. Still, Myungsoo kept himself from interrupting since that was the most Byunghun could do as Ji Kyung did not even know his presence right now.

Myungsoo thought that it would be foolish of him to get jealous of the dead.

The bitter one then decided to turn his back to them as Byunghun hugged her tightly, without any warmth, and cried his heart out. The night was unusually long that day, with the young couple staying in the house far longer than they expected. By the time Byunghun calmed himself down, Ji Kyung fell asleep on the bed since she was still not feeling well. Myungsoo went out to a nearby cafeteria to get the both of them some food for a late dinner, and when he got back, he saw Byunghun laying his eyes lovingly onto his sleeping angel. Myungsoo stood by the bedroom's door, observing them without a word but his arms were crossed in subtle hatred.

And out of the blue, the words of Luna rang in his ears without any warning. Then, he thought to himself that maybe, maybe as Luna said, he should stop hurting her and take over Byunghun's place properly. He started to think that he should be responsible for bringing Ji Kyung out from her depressing hole.

 



A/N (19/3/2019):
Hey guys! Initially, I was planning to edit the existing chapters (I've previously uploaded until Chap 13) but now I just thought that I should re-upload the remaining chapters instead hehe. ((to get more new readers *coughcough
Anyways, I have improved the plot, mainly on their character development. I've also tried to include a little bit of psychology in it, if you haven't noticed yet, Ji Kyung is showing symptoms of PTSD (flashbacks, dreams, negative mood etc.), which contributed to her difficulty in moving on. Onto the next chapter, we will finally see the detailed story of how Byunghun was killed. Til' then, stay tuned!