Melancholic Hyper-Active Sloth

It's Not As Cool As It Seems

 

Melancholic Hyper-Active Sloth

The sun glowed high in the late afternoon. Three birds twitted, dancing around, dodging the towering skyscrapers. The busy streets bubbled with life as people walked about and cars zoomed by. Even if it was a work day, the streets filled with people – house wives grocery shopping, shop owners attracting customers, and even a few students playing hooky. A rare summer breeze bellowed, tickling the nose of a baby girl in a pink stroller. It was a beautiful day in the massive city of Seoul.

 A figure scowled as the last reminiscence of sleep faded. She rolled over, determined to stay asleep, but the stubborn rays of sunlight infiltrated in. Finding it useless, she sat up in a huff. She irritably d around for her glasses on the nightstand, before rising from the warm bed. A big white shirt engulfed her slender frame – her hair in disarray, a trail of dried drool stained the side of , and somehow, her pajama bottoms disappeared during the night.

She pried open her bedroom door, not caring how she looked. The figure walked down the now familiar hallway, pass the living room, and into the kitchen. She took out a clean glass and stocked towards the refrigerator, taking out the pitcher of orange juice. The character then made her way towards the white leather couch and plopped down, flipping on the TV. Her white slender legs crossed beneath her as she watched an old drama called ‘Winter Sonata’.

 Here in the beautiful and vibrant city of Seoul, inside the famous apartment of Asia’s idol group, Dong Bang Shin Ki, sat an irritable sloppy young ‘lady’. Jung ChoMin was not a morning person.

Even more, she was bored.

What happened to the ‘helluvan adventure’? Where was the excitement? All the fanfictions she ever read lied to her. In all of them, the main character was supposed to go on an unforgettable trip, fall in love, have drama, and then get her man. Where was her story? ChoMin felt disappointment as she realized that she barely even saw the guys, much less get one of them to fall in love with her.

Her gaze stayed transfixed on the on-playing drama, but her mind wondered off. It was Thursday, 6 days since she arrived. After the delicious meal JaeJoong had prepared, she had gone straight to sleep. But due to the 15-hour-time difference, ChoMin suffered from extreme jetlag and slept all through Saturday. YunHo and the rest had stayed home to spend time with her – to take her around Seoul, but when they knocked on her bedroom door, they found her fast asleep. When she had finally awoken, the sun had long set and everyone but her cousin was sound asleep.

ChoMin smiled as she remembered the long conversation she shared with YunHo. They had so much catching up to do; and it was only past 3 in the morning did they turn in for bed.

The next day, her uncle and aunt – YunHo’s parents – had planned for her to visit them in Gwangju for a couple of days. The guys, having work, did not have a chance to see ChoMin off as she headed to the train station. Her trip back home was actually fun. The best part of the mini trip included bonding with JiHye(*) again. Since they were the same age, they enjoyed being in each other’s company and spent the majority of the time in girl-talk. Being an only child, ChoMin was glad she at least had a girl cousin her own age. She smiled softly as she remembered the talk she had with JiHye the night before she had to go back to Seoul:

            “Omigawd! No way?!” squealed JiHye. She immediately stopped combing her hair, and moved over to the bed they were both sharing. “You like one of Oppa’s friends? Me too! Which one?”

 ChoMin also squealed, thinking about JaeJoong. “Who do you think it is?” she baited.

             “Whoever it is, it better not be ChangMin oppa,” she glared. She then lowered her voice, so much that ChoMin had to strain to hear. “Because…I like him.”

 ChoMin’s eyes grew in surprise. She did NOT expect JiHye to say ChangMin. She expected her to say JaeJoong, since most girls loved him too, or YooChun.

 ‘But ChangMin? They were polar opposites!’ ChoMin thought.

  ChangMin was known to be shy and quiet, while JiHye was loud and very social.

             “Don’t worry. Its not him,” she assured her cousin. “My heart only belongs to JaeJoong oppa!” She exclaimed, jumping up on the bed with her hands over heart dramatically. It would have been a serious declaration of love had she not propped up her feet up on the head dress true to the Captain Morgan pose; her hair in gigantic rollers, and her face covered in a gooey green avocado face mask . They both squealed as they gushed and debated as to who would look the best in a dress from their Oppa’s friends.

             “We’re acting like a bunch of fangirls,” commented JiHye as she moved to the floor so ChoMin can brush her hair for her.

             “So?”

             “But the sad thing is,” JiHye began. ChoMin stopped brushing her hair and listened. “None of them will ever think of me in that way. Especially ChangMin oppa.  After all to them, I’m just their hyung’s baby sister.”

 The two sat silently for a moment, both caught up with their own thoughts. After a while, JiHye pulled out a magazine and began to flip through it.

             “…and his baby cousin…” ChoMin mumbled as she continued to brush JiHye’s hair.

Just when the lead actor leaned in to kiss the lead actress; ChoMin, still day dreaming, erupted in giggles as she recalled what she did the day before.

 Being alone in the apartment – by herself – for the first time, ChoMin went into full throttle fangirl mode. Her morals flew out the windows by this overwhelming urge to nose around. Being ever the curious and nosy girl she was, she left no drawers unchecked and no doors unopened. Having done that, she felt no shame in rolling on their nicely kept beds and going through their y clothes.

Any fan of DBSK would do the same in her shoes. For once in a very long time, she became just like those crazy fangirls that scared her.

And in no way was she ever going to tell YunHo or the rest of the members about what she had been doing.

Through her exploration, ChoMin discovered new rooms: the extra bathroom YooChun talked about, a small laundry room, and 2 rooms that were filled with recording equipment. Inside the quaint rooms stood computers, piano keyboards, and desks for each member.

‘It’s probably their home studio,’’ ChoMin thought as she recalled the rooms. She hadn’t snooped inside, for the earlier drive finally worn off, and her morals and manners returned.

            “Ommigawd…” ChoMin realized, “What the heck am I doing? I leave for home in two - I should be out shoppin’ right now! Not mopping around the apartment” she mumbled “…even if it is a very y apartment.”

Dashing into her temporary bedroom, ChoMin changed into a breezy red and white baby doll top and a form fitting denim capris. She tied her hair in a messy bun, with a few wisp of hair falling over her eyes; white bangles and red star earrings completed her look. Her last accessory was a must – no matter what she wore, her Dong Bang Shin Ki button was always there. Careful not to poke herself with the pin, she secured the button on her shirt, right over her heart.

ChoMin winked at herself in the mirror; she looked damn good! She had this y cute look to her, the look she spent years cultivating. Her philosophy was simple: Any one could be beautiful if they invested time and money (not to mention blood, sweat and tears) on themselves. Grabbing her matching red purse, she headed out the doors and down the elevators.

Photobucket

Taking the Seoul Metro line 2, ChoMin arrived at Samseong Station where the famous COEX Mall(*) was located. As she took the escalator down, ChoMin’s eyes grew as big as saucers when she gazed all around her. Even though it wasn’t her first time coming to the mall, it never ceased to amaze her. Along with the countless shops, it had 2 food courts, an internet café, a cinema, an aquarium, an enormous bookstore, and her favorite place to go – the Kimchi museum.

 With a menacing smile, she raced to the first shop – the one with the cute shoes displayed at the window.

Photobucket

 ChoMin sat exhausted on a couch inside the bookstore. She could officially say she was the queen of window shopping. After all the stores she went to, of all the racks of clothing she shifted through, and of all the things she tried on, all she actually bought were a pair of purple fuzzy socks. She had to admit though, those socks felt so soft, but, they irritated her skin.

             “At least Daisy will appreciate it. Damn! She really does have a sock ,” she said in English while shaking her head, imagining the overjoyed expression and the happy dance her best friend in America always performed when she got new socks.

            “Ok!” she exclaimed, standing up. “Now where is the manga section? The Kimchi museum can wait a bit…” She was a real dork about manga and manhwa. Back home, she had an impressive amount of manga/manhwa that she collected over the years. It was an irritating obsession to her parents and to her savings bond. For every comic she had, she just had to have every volume within that series.

It took her no time in finding the graphic novel section, even within the massive bookstore. She had this super special awesome sonar that picked up where the comics were at – it was also great for finding where the restrooms are. What ChoMin saw once she found the section left agape. There stood three whole bookshelves dedicated to comic books. Three whole rows! Spending no time at all, she pulled book after book, the stack within her arms piling higher and higher. Then there it was, on the highest shelving…The latest volume of Goong(*). It was the one and only volume she needed to keep up to date with her Goong series.

And there was only one left.

Using her amazing skills of balancing all eleven comics in her left arm, her right one was free to take the loot. Her hands twitched with anticipation as it neared the object. Tip-toeing, her fingers were almost there – she could almost touch it.

Out of nowhere, another hand swooped in and stole it before she could take it for her own.

            “What yhe ! That was mine!” She cused in English. ChoMin twirled around, ready to fight tooth and nail for that volume. The sudden force of her spin caused her pile of comics to come crashing on the ground. The sudden noise caught the attention of the people around her, making her visibly embarrassed. She cursed under her breath as she bent down to pick them up.

            “Here, let me help you,” A kind voice offered, picking up some of the books for her.

            “Thankyou,” ChoMin mumbled, as she rose up and dusted her pants. Fixing her glasses that had gone askew, she looked up wanting to see the face of the person who helped her.

It was a girl.

This girl had shoulder-length black hair with a few blonde highlights, and like herself, glasses adorned the stranger’s face. The girl was really tall, almost 5’7” or 5’8”, like a model, and looked about the same age. She wore what looked like a little black halter-dress over faded jeans, but it was hard to tell, because it was covered by a camouflage jacket that was half zipped up. From what can be seen, the girl’s skin looked blemish-free and very fair. She too had the double eyelids that most wanted. Whether it was through surgery or not, ChoMin could only guess. The girl had this elegance to her, not that of a ballerina per say, but that of a martial artist.

ChoMin’s eyes immediately traveled to the area below her neck and above her ribs. They were like watermelons!

She looked sadly down at her own s. They were mosquito bites compared to the girl in front of her.

            “You should be careful next time.” Turning to leave, she jammed her hands into the pockets of her jacket, not aware of a piece of paper falling out from it.

Photobucket

 Sohn JeeWoon hummed happily all the way to the customer service desk. Na YoonKi had called her earlier, saying the manhwa she pre-ordered was waiting for her at the bookstore in the mall. She smiled, as her neighbor and childhood friend waved eagerly at her from behind the desk.

 “Yah! Na YoonKi!” She yelled, nearing the desk. “Where’s my manhwa?”

 Her friend YoonKi was tall. He was a little over 6 feet, but despite that, his face still retained its childhood chubbiness. His hair and clothing were styled in a way that resembled a member from their favorite group, Xiah JunSu from Dong Bang Shin Ki. JeeWoon would love to , saying he looked nothing like Xiah, knowing full well he would go and change to resemble the idol more. In short, Na YoonKi was a fanboy.

             “You don’t have to be so rude about it,” YoonKi retorted, “It’s right he –” He looked to his left then to his right, he then checked inside the small pencil holder. “Well it was right here.”

 Sohn JeeWoon rolled her eyes in feign agitation. “Is that how you handle a customer’s order? It’s lucky you haven’t been fired.”

             “Shut up!” YoonKi said, hitting her shoulder in retaliation. “We have another copy at the bookshelf. You know where it is.”

 Rolling her eyes, she made her way down the familiar aisles, to her sanctuary – the manhwa section. Cranking up her ipod, she softly hummed the tune of ‘Rising Sun’ as she took her time getting to her destination.

 Turning the last aisle, a very retarded sight greeted her. A one-woman balancing act was trying to balance a huge stack of comics, while standing on her tiptoes. Any other person would have dropped the books by now, but the girl standing in the way of her manhwa did not even waver as she balanced on her toes.

 JeeWoon pried her eyes away from the girl, her focus back to the manhwa she wanted. Careful to not touch the tiptoeing-comic balancer, she retracted the latest volume of Goong from the topmost shelf. Once in hand however, she heard a loud crash right next to her. Manhwa spread all over the floor, and the earlier girl squatting on the floor, picking them up.

             “Here, let me help you,” JeeWoon offered, also picking up the fallen comics. She watched as the girl stood up, and mumbled a “Thank you”

             “You should be careful next time.” With a quick bow of farewell, she turned to leave. She finally got the latest volume of Goong! And JeeWoon couldn’t wait to go home and read it.

             “Wait!” The girl behind her yelled; catching her attention and the attention of others sitting around.

             “Muh?”

 ChoMin smiled at the girl who helped her. Hiding the piece of paper behind her back, she flashed the taller girl her cutest smile.

             “By any chance,” ChoMin started, walking closer to JeeWoon. “Are you a fan of Dong Bang Shin Ki?”

 ChoMin’s smile grew wider for she knew the answer just by watching the other girl’s surprised reaction.

             “Yeh, but how did you know?” JeeWoon asked, still bemused by ChoMin’s accuracy.

 Still smiling, ChoMin pulled out a picture of her cousin; the same item that fell from JeeWoon’s pocket.

             “And I’m guessing U-know YunHo is your favorite?” ChoMin stated, more than asked.

 In disbelief that she could misplace something so precious, JeeWoon searched the folds of her pockets, finding them empty except for a piece of gum wrapper. Looking back at ChoMin, she smiled in gratitude. ChoMin handed JeeWoon the picture of YunHo, happy that her oppa is very popular.

             “Thank you,” JeeWoon said, bowing in appreciation. She placed the picture inside her bag, not wanting it to fall out again. She worked so hard in getting that picture at that fan meeting in the first place. Being pushed and shoved out of the way, it was a miracle she even got a clear shot of the hot leader. Sohn JeeWoon was madly in love with U-know YunHo – unfortunately, so was half of the female population of South Korea.

             “You know, I’m also a big fan of Dong Bang Shin Ki,” beamed ChoMin, flashing JeeWoon her button proudly. “I have all their CDs! And I have so many posters back home, too! ‘Hug’ is my favorite song, what’s yours?”

 ‘Oh wow,’ JeeWoon thought, ‘This girl talks a lot.’

 Noticing the strange look that she was given, ChoMin began to flush with embarrassment. ‘Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!’ ChoMin thought. ‘I keep forgetting I’m in Korea, I have to be formal. She probably thinks I’m weird, or worse rude!’

           “I’m sorry. I was being rude,” ChoMin bowed in apology, “My name is Jung ChoMin – I’m 17, er I mean 19.” She stammered, sticking out her hand. ‘Aish! Now she probably thinks I’m even more stupid for forgetting my age!’

 JeeWoon politely shook ChoMin’s hand, but let go quickly. ‘Is she lying about her age?’

             “I’m Sohn JeeWoon. And thank you for giving it back to me,” JeeWoon started, referring to the stolen shot of YunHo. “But I really have to go.”

             “Wait!” ChoMin exclaimed, catching up with the girl. She didn’t know what was wrong with her, but for some reason, she really wanted to talk to this girl. Plus, she never really met a YunHo fan, and she wanted to know if JeeWoon was as obsessed with her cousin, as she herself was obsessed with JaeJoong…and YooChun…and JunSu…

             “So… I told you my favorite song, what is yours?” ChoMin asked pleasantly.

 ‘Oh wow, she really wants to talk to me.’ JeeWoon thought. She subtly glanced at her cellphone, ‘I guess I can spare a few minutes… ’ JeeWoon thought. “Well…I guess my favorite song right now is ‘Hug’ too.”

             “OMG!” ChoMin squealed, getting excited. “Weren’t they so great?! And they looked so young too!”

             “Yeah they were!” JeeWoon also squealed. She found U-know’s crooked teeth adorkable; it made him look so cute and young. “I can’t believe it’s their 3rd year.”

 And just like that two strangers with one thing in common formed a friendship.

Deciding to stay, JeeWoon followed ChoMin to couch, as they discussed DBSK issues and catching up with the latest rumors – something about Dong Bang Shin Ki singing a song with animal suits. They talked as if they had known each other for a long time. All formality was quickly dropped as the two talked more and more – about the Dong Bang boys of course. And just like that, a few minutes turned into 15 minutes, and soon 15 minutes turned into an hour.

 The familiar melody of ‘Dangerous Mind’ interrupted the two girls talking about whether YunHo’s man ies, or now called ‘moobies’, were cute or not.

             “Sorry, that’s my phone,” JeeWoon replied, checking her red flip phone. “Whoa! It’s already 7!” Pressing the little light up green button, JeeWoon answered her ringing phone. “Yobeoseyo? Oh, Umma!”

Not wanting to eavesdrop, ChoMin checked her own phone. It really was 7 o’ clock! She spent 6 hours at the mall, and she only bought one pair of socks! Groaning, she planned to wake up early the next day and buy gifts for her parents and her other friends. The closing snap of the cell phone alerted ChoMin that JeeWoon finished.

             “That was my mom.” JeeWoon stood up from the couch, rolling her eyes, “I have to go home and study(*).”

 ChoMin followed suit. “No problemo, I have to go too," she said, and together they walked out the large bookstore and out the mall.

              “You know for a strange person I’ve just met, you’re pretty cool,” JeeWoon commented, as they waited patiently outside the mall, people watching. She sat next to ChoMin who sat in an unladylike manner on a bench waiting for her cab.    

            “Wait, how am I strange?”

             “Well,” JeeWoon began delicately, “this is our first meeting, and the second I met you, your mouth just goes off like a siren or an alarm.”

 ChoMin playfully hit JeeWoon on the shoulder. “My voice is not like an annoying alarm clock!”

             “I never said it was. But whatever.” They both laughed as the cars on the street zoomed by or stop to pick up people.

             “Hey, JeeWoon-ah, have you actually met U-know YunHo?”

             “Well, I met him once… but that was like a long time ago. After all, I’m officially a Cassiopeia member as of this year,” JeeWoon stated matter-of-factly.

ChoMin was shocked! She was actually meeting an OFFICIAL member of Cassiopeia. Ever since her cousin and his group got famous, all she wanted more than anything was to be a part of Cassiopeia.

             “OMG! Really? That’s so cool!”

Chuckling at ChoMin’s entertaining expression, JeeWoon continued, “Speaking of… I think you should join. We get to do a lot of things. Plus you get first dibs on every concert and fan meetings.”

            “I wish I could,” ChoMin sighed, disappointed, “but I’m leaving this Saturday, sorry.”

ChoMin’s eyes glanced to the street and trailed after a sweet ride pulling up. She didn’t know that much about cars, but she could tell that the car was fully customized; it wasn’t like any commercial car. It was a red Hyundai convertible with its top pulled up. Silver racing lines were painted on the sides, and a soft white glow from under the car, lit up the growing darkness of dusk. The car itself was small, built for speed and agility rather than endurance. She would hate to see that same car in an accident.

            “There’s my ride.” JeeWoon pointed to the same red convertible. Suddenly, the dark tinted window of the passenger seat rolled down. Really loud music burst out from the speakers, and the fast rap of Epik High’s ‘Fan’ infiltrated out of the small car.

            “Get in the freaking car now,” An irritated voice yelled from inside the red Hyundai, his face hidden in the shadow.

            “Aish! Shut up! I’m on my way,” JeeWoon retorted back, rolling her eyes. She readjusted her purse on her shoulder and stood up, taking her time.

            “Well hurry the hell up!” the same voice yelled back, getting more annoyed by the minute.

But JeeWoon ignored it and turned to ChoMin. “Sorry, that’s my Oppa.” Rummaging through her purse, she pulled out an old receipt and pen, and began to scribble down digits. “Here’s my number and email if you are ever in Seoul again.”

            “I’m gonna ing leave without you!” JeeWoon’s brother yelled from the car.

            “Jeeze! Don’t be such an !” JeeWoon retorted, running towards her brother’s car. “I’m going! I’m going!” Wrenching the car door open, she hopped in. “You are so effing impatient. What is wrong with you?” she asked, slamming the door shut, and with that, the car drove off.

ChoMin looked down at the piece of paper and smiled. ‘That girl JeeWoon was so cool,’ she thought. As soon as the little car drove off, its spot was immediately taken by a bright yellow taxi. Greeting the cab driver, and in no particular hurry, she told him the address to the apartment, and they were off.

Photobucket

            “Miss? Mi-iss?”

 ChoMin blinked her eyes open and yawned, wondering where the heck she was.

             “Miss,” the cab driver politely said. “We have arrived at your apartment.”

 Having prepaid the cab driver, she nodded her head still half asleep and opened the cab door. Rubbing her eyes, she bowed to the cab driver, and half dragged herself to the front gate, where some faithful fans camped out in front of. Suddenly remembering that she needed her pass, she felt for her purse on her shoulder.

‘Hold on…’ she d around for her red purse. “!” Dropping her shopping bag, she sprinted after the receding cab. The few fans stared after, whispering about the pitifulness of her situation.

The cab kept on going, not aware of the girl madly waving her hands, running after it. Even though the taxi gradually sped up, ChoMin didn’t – no couldn’t – give up. Her passport, visa, and all her money were in her purse! Not to mention the plane ticket!

Up ahead, the cab, slowed to a stop in front of a red light. Thankful, ChoMin, slowed down to a fast jog, catching her breath.

            “Thank you Lord,” she huffed, out of breath. But the heavens weren’t kind. As she neared the yellow cab, the bright red stop light turned green, signaling the driver to go.

ChoMin groaned.

            “Oh for the love of – WAIT!!!” she began to run faster, kicking off her shoes in the process, to gain speed. Her flying red shoe soared through the air, and BAM! – It accidentally smacked an ajusshi walking in the opposite direction.

            “Oh my – I’m so sorry!” With a hand over , she ran back to the person on the ground rubbing his head. ChoMin looked over to the cab. It was a miracle! Another red stop light halted the fleeting taxi on the next block. Sighing in relief, she offered her hand to help the old man up.

            “Mieneyo! Mieneyo!” she apologized informally, both to the old man and his wife. Both elders raised an eyebrow in offense, not used to ChoMin’s accent and informal language.

Glancing up to see if the cab was still there, ChoMin found that the once red light once again turned green. In a frenzy, she let go off the ajusshi’s hand, causing him to fall back to the ground.

            “!” she muttered in English, aware of the ajusshi and ajumma. “I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry! I’m so sorry!” She said bowing and at the same time, offering her hand once again. Looking agitated, the old man on the ground swatted her hand away mumbling something about ‘reckless youngsters having no respect.’ His wife, with a forced smile, assured ChoMin that she would take it from there.

Bowing in embarrassment and apology, she grabbed her discarded shoes, and once again ran after the stupid cab.

            “Yah! Stupid taxi!” She screamed now in the middle of the street, yet still running after the cab. “Yah!” she threw her right shoe at the back of the yellow hunk of metal in desperation.

The poor unsuspecting cab driver finally looked back, wondering what hit his precious money cab. Eyeing his rear-view mirror, he slowed to a stop when he saw ChoMin frantically running after his cab.

With her face flushed, sweat trickling down her heart shaped face, and her hair in disarray, ChoMin limped towards the unanimated taxi, breathing hard. She hobbled to the side of the parked taxi, careful not to be run over by ongoing traffic. With her face in a forced yet deadly smile, she approached the open window.

            “My…purse…please?” she breathed out, pointing to the red handbag sitting comfortably in the back seat. Reaching to the back seat, the cab driver handed ChoMin her purse gingerly.

Happy that she finally got her purse, she smiled and bowed to the cab driver and limped to the sidewalk to walk back home. Carrying her shoes in one hand, and clutching her purse in the other, she waited patiently for the change of lights, to cross. Closing her eyes, she sighed in gratitude.

She shouldn’t have.

Out of nowhere, a motorcyclist drove by and snatched her purse right out from her hands. Before she could even register what happened, the motorcycle turned the corner with a screech, escaping home free.

Royally pissed, she walked back home to the apartment. She was tired, sweaty, her feet burned, and she stunk. She figured, if God intended for her purse to be stolen anyway, she shouldn’t have bothered running after the stupid cab.

Returning to the apartment complex, and glaring angrily at the whispering fans, she felt a bit relived that it was Han ChungHo, the nice guard, which was on gate duty.

She found her discarded shopping bag on the concrete sidewalk right where she left it, untouched. Putting her shoes in the bag with the soft socks, she dragged the bag with her.

            “Ah! ChoMin-sshi!” Han ChungHo exclaimed and stepped out of the guard box, seeing the disgruntled girl limping towards him. “What happened?”

            “My damn purse got stolen that’s what happened,” ChoMin snapped, but quickly bowed and apologized. She was beyond being rude, she was just being mean. “I’m sorry.”

With a warm and comforting smile, Han ChungHo replied, “It’s quite alright my dear. Let me help you. We can go to the staff room.”

Completely exhausted, ChoMin allowed him to take her shopping bag containing her shoes and the fuzzy purple socks from her, and followed right behind him. Talking into his walkie-talkie, he led her pass the large lobby. The stares from the other residents made ChoMin feel self conscious of how she looked and sadly reminded her that she didn’t belong there. She was glad to know the staff room lied just past the front desk. Opening the door for her, Han ChungHo motioned for ChoMin to enter the room and to sit on the red leather couch. Silence filled the room as Han ChungHo walked to the cabinet and pulled out a tea cup, and poured tea in it. Walking over to ChoMin he handed her the warm tea.

            “What am I going to do, Ahjusshi?” ChoMin asked from the couch, her knuckles slightly turning white as she grasped the china cup. “Everything was in there! My passport, my visa, ALL my money, and my plane ticket.”

            “Ah, cheer up,” he reassured, “I am sure everything will work out in the end.”

            “And if it doesn’t?” ChoMin asked, blankly staring at her coffee cup. She bit her inner cheek, willing herself not to cry in front of Mr. Han. “I don’t know what to do…”

             “ChoMin-sshi, I suggest talking to your cousin about this as soon as he gets home. I will call the police for you and make sure they file a report,” he said, placing a comforting hand on her exhausted shoulders, trying to console her. “We will find your purse. But just in case, you should go to the American Embassy first thing in the morning.”

ChoMin nodded, still clearly upset, but nonetheless offered a small smile. Staring at her full cup, she fearlessly gulped down her tea, forgetting that it was hot.

            “Aish! I burned my stupid tongue!”

Photobucket

The next day, the police found her purse in a park, but all of its contents stolen. The money and the plane tickets were replaceable, and so was her cell phone, but was her visa and passport?           

Closing the door behind him, YunHo followed ChoMin into the living room, where the rest of the members waited patiently. A gloomy atmosphere enveloped the living room of Dong Bang Shin Ki.

             “YunHo hyung, what happened?” JunSu asked, walking in from the kitchen. In his hand was a glass of warm milk to soothe the nerves. He handed the glass to ChoMin, who half heartedly smiled, but gladly took it. Too depressed, she didn’t even blush as JunSu’s fingers lightly brushed against her’s.

            “The people at the American Embassy said that she’d have to wait up to two and a half months to replace her passport,” he said, leaning against the white wall with his hands in his front jean pockets. “But it might take even longer, because she needs to fill out a lot of paper work.”

            “I don’t get it,” JunSu said taking his place on the floor, hugging a couch pillow. “ChoMin-sshi, if you’re an American citizen, why would it take so long to just give you a new one.”

            “I’m not an American citizen,” she admitted, taking a sip of her warm milk. “I was born here in Korea – in Gwangju. I moved to the U.S. when I was 3 years old, no I meant 5,” ChoMin corrected, once again forgetting that Korea and the U.S. counted the age differently. If she was 17 in the U.S., because of her birthday, she’d have to add two years to her age in Korea. She didn’t know why she had to, but it had something to do with the Korean lunar calendar.

            “Oh, so what are you going to do for the next few months?” ChangMin asked, straddling a chair from the dining room.

            “I really don’t know what I’m going to do,” she said, sinking into the couch. YooChun, who sat next to her, placed a comforting arm around her shoulder.

            “Don’t worry ChoMin-ah,” he said, consoling her, “Think of it this way, at least you’ll get to stay with us for a few more months!”

JunSu, not liking how YooChun had his arm around ChoMin, plopped on the other side of her and took her left hand into his and said, “Yeah! I’ll take care of you.”

ChoMin finally smiled fully. JunSu was so sweet sometimes!

            “Yah! Stop hitting on my baby cousin!” YunHo said, taking the velvet red pillow from under YooChun and throwing it at JunSu.

            “A-Ani!” JunSu retorted back, throwing the red pillow back at YunHo, “I wasn’t hitting on ChoMin-sshi. I meant WE would take care of her.”

For the first time since meeting JeeWoon, ChoMin finally laughed. Without knowing it, her melodic laughter brightened the gloomy mood.

            “Aniyo, aniyo… I couldn’t possibly stay with you guys.”

            “Why not?” Everyone turned their head to the source. JaeJoong finally spoke. “Why, don’t you want to stay with us?”

            “It’s not that I don’t want to stay with you guys…It’s just, I don’t want to intrude.”

            “Well you’re not,” JunSu countered. “You can stay, we don’t mind at all.”

            “Aniyo, it’s ok!” ChoMin insisted. “The most logical thing to do is go to Gwangju... Besides, fans would kill me if I stay in the famous Dongbanggol. And I value my life thank you very much!” ChoMin chuckled.

            “But isn't the US Embassy here in Seoul?” ChangMin commented, “You couldn't do what you think is best in the end, but wouldn't it be easier to be near by? Bcause I'm sure you'll be going back and forth to file paper work and stuff, right?”

            “You're right,” ChoMin conceded, but still hesitated. “I don't know...I'll think of something...Well, if you guys don’t mind, I’m kindda tired.” Standing up, she maneuvered her way out of the semicircle of hot guys. “If anyone needs me, I’ll be in my room.”

            “ChoMin-ah…”

            “Neh, YunHo oppa?” ChoMin asked, turning back.

            “Just rest ok, we have to go to the studio right now. I’ll call and check up on you, araso?”

ChoMin rolled her eyes. “You worry too much Oppa. I’m not a baby anymore.” With that, she left the living room, and went into her room. Locking the bedroom door, she plopped on the bed, her head in her pillow. ChoMin waited until she heard the front door close with a small thud and the lock turned. Sighing, she rolled over to her back and looked up at the white ceiling.

            “I'll be a burden, right? And talk about improper!” She said to no one in particular. “It would’ve felt weird living here, yet doing nothing, right? Because if not, I’d be stupid to refuse to live with Dong Bang Shin Ki…” ChoMin mumbled. “Aish!” sitting up, she pounded her head with her fists.

‘I want to stay, but I’d feel bad about not paying them for staying here,’ she thought, ‘It’ll feel awkward and useless, and I’ll feel like I owe them something. I'd hate that!’

            “I know!” she said, her eyes growing wide with excitement. “I’ll get a job! It’ll be fun! It’ll be my first real job! Then I can pay them for staying here! Wait no…I’ll have to get another apartment near by or something. Worse comes to worse, I'll just go back to Gwangju.” Jumping out of bed, she quickly walked to the front, put her shoes on, and left the apartment.

She was on a search for a job.

Photobucket

ChoMin didn’t find a job that day, but the next day, the day when she was suppose to leave, she finally found one. Glad that they would hire a girl with no working experience what-so-ever and without a proper written resume, she excitedly accepted the job without really knowing what it was.

Turning the key of the apartment, she opened the door, and the sweet smell of cooking tickled her nose. Following the scent to the living room area, she was surprised to find someone there. A cute someone.

            “Welcome back!” said an eager JunSu.

            “Eh? Aren’t you supposed to be at work Oppa?” ChoMin asked, wondering why JunSu wore a pink apron and carrying a duster. She had to smile, for JunSu’s hair was tied back with a cute pony tail at the top of his head. Putting her purse on the couch, she plopped down next to it.

            “Yeah, but the Manager said we could go home for a bit. We really aren’t that busy this month,” he said, his adorable smile making ChoMin melt inside.

‘He looks so cute just standing there!’ ChoMin thought. ‘His shirt looks really y too…I wonder how it’d look OFF of him.’ She stopped dead on her tracks. In her mind’s eye, JunSu was more than just shirtless… ‘OMG! Did I just mentally strip Xiah?’ She mentally groaned. ‘I’m turning into such a ert!’

            “ChoMin-sshi?” JunSu asked, only a few inches from her face. “Are you ok?”

            “Gah!” And a soft thud was heard. Caught off guard by the little distance between her and JunSu, ChoMin spazzed, and slid off the white couch and onto the carpet. ‘How’d he get so close?’ ChoMin frantically thought.

            “ChoMin-sshi!” JunSu exclaimed, helping the fallen girl up. “Are you sure you are ok?”

            “I’m fine! I’m fine!” She assured him while laughing to conceal her humiliation. Her nervous laughter ceased when she noticed JunSu’s hand still holding onto hers.

          “You know,” JunSu started, staring into her deep chocolate eyes, “You’re really cute when you are flustered.”

Blushing beat red, ChoMin looked away, embarrassed, yet she couldn’t deny that she was flattered. Here she was, being told she was cute by one of the hottest bachelors of South Korea. She’s flirted with guys back in America, but somehow, she just couldn’t with JunSu.

            “No one has called me cute before…” ChoMin replied back, not knowing what to say.

JunSu leaned in closer to her, “You are. If you want, I’ll call you cute every single day.” He leaned even closer, and surprisingly, so did ChoMin.

This was it!

She was getting her first kiss! And even better, it would be from Dong Bang Shin Ki’s cutie-pie angel, Xiah JunSu. It was so perfect.

            “ChoMin-ah! You’re back!” YooChun interrupted, coming in from the kitchen. As if JunSu had a disease, ChoMin flew to the other side of the couch as fast as lightening.

‘Wow…I was this close in kisses JunSu oppa… Oh my god…I almost kissed Xiah JunSu!’ ChoMin’s inner fangirl squealed. She glanced across the other side of the couch at JunSu. He acted as if nothing happened, but a slight frown graced his beautiful lips. JunSu stood up, and walked out of the room, glaring at YooChun’s back, but it seemed like YooChun didn’t notice his glare.

            “So what did you do today?” YooChun asked, sitting on top of the coffee table and facing ChoMin.

Suddenly remembering about her new job, she jumped up excitedly.

            “Oh I almost forgot! I got a new job!”

YooChun smiled at ChoMin’s upbeat attitude and excited expression. “Oh really? Where is my little ChoMinnie going to work?”

ChoMin smiled brightly at YooChun. “I’m going to be a hostess at a room salon(*)! Isn’t that so cool?”

YooChun’s eyes grew large in surprise. Did he hear right? “M-Muh?”

            “I said I’m going to be hostess. Why, is there something wrong?”

He looked at her seriously and spoke in English, “ChoMin-ah, do you even know what kind of job that is?”

ChoMin looked at him, wondering why he would ask her that. Of course she knew what it is! ...Wait, did she?

            “Not really…Isn’t it like… Isn’t it like a hostess for a restaurant? Like I sit people down when they come in and give them menus, right? …” she replied back in English. “What? You don’t think I got what it takes to be one? I’ll have you know! I can do anything if I set my mind up to it! ”

YooChun fell in fits of laughter. Was she serious? He looked back at ChoMin, and from her expression, he could tell she was confused.

            “Go ask your Oppa… He’ll tell you what it means,” he said in between laughter. He couldn’t wait to see YunHo’s reaction when she asks what it means. Of course, YunHo wouldn’t allow her to do such a thing.

            “Ok,” ChoMin said, still confused as to why YooChun was laughing. “Where is he?”

            “He’s in the room,” YooChun said. Walking around the coffee table, ChoMin turned the corner and walked down the hall to the room the boys shared. All YooChun could do was shake his head in amusement.

‘3…2…1’

            “MUH?! I’M NOT LETTING MY BABY COUSIN WORK AS A FREAKING AS A CALL GIRL!!!” YunHo’s voice boomed from inside the room. The door burst open and angry footsteps came closer, followed by soft footsteps trying to catch up.

            “Oppa! Just chill! Obviously I won't going to take job! I didn’t know that that’s what it meant,” ChoMin said, trying to appease the overprotective older cousin.

            “Of course not! As if I’d let you go inside a bar,” YunHo said, still appalled. The two cousins rounded the corner; one with a pissed off expression, and the other worried.

            “What happened here?” JaeJoong asked, coming out from the hall leading to the home studio with ChangMin.

            “This girl here wanted to be a call girl,” YunHo replied.

JaeJoong raised his eyebrow, and looked ChoMin for verification. He didn’t know ChoMin was like that. ‘What a major turnoff,’ he thought disapprovingly.

Noticing the disgusted look JaeJoong was giving her, she shook her head, denying it.

            “I do not!” she screamed and hit YunHo’s shoulder. “I didn’t even know what it meant!” she said, defending herself. “I’m not that desperate.”

Sighing, she sat down at the couch dejectedly. She didn’t even know that it meant striper. Now she was afraid that JaeJoong and ChangMin might think she was or a . Some dream job it turned out to be.

            “What am I going to do now?” she asked. “I was going to use the money to get an apartment nearby.”

            “Why do you need to get an apartment? You’re staying right here.,” YunHo said.

ChoMin remained silent. How was she going to explain her reasons, when she herself didn’t know exactly why she was hesitant in staying there?

            “Just because…” she mumbled. YunHo looked at her sternly, expecting a better answer.

            “I think I understand,” JaeJoong said. “You know what? Why don’t you just work for us?”

            “Really? How?” ChoMin asked, totally excited at the idea working for them.

            “Huh?” ChangMin asked, “Hyung, what do you mean?”

            “Yeah, what are you trying to say BooJae?” YunHo asked, not sure where JaeJoong was going with it.

            “Well, we kindda need help around the house,” JaeJoong started. “Like, we need someone to help us keep this place clean and to cook and stuff. I can’t be the one always cooking and cleaning.”

            “Wait, you want my precious baby cousin to be our maid?” YunHo asked skeptically.

            “Hyung, you always said we needed one,” ChangMin interjected, agreeing with JaeJoong. If ChoMin was going to be their maid that meant that there would be fewer chores for him to do. He’d never admit it, but he really was lazy and hated cleaning more than anything. “Finding someone trustworthy would take too long, and I’m guessing ChoMin-sshi really wants to work, so why not?”

            “I still don’t feel comfortable making her do all the chores and handling our laundry,” YunHo added.

            “It’s all really up to what she wants to do,” YooChun said, facing ChoMin. “Well, what do you think ChoMin-ah? Wanna be our maid?”

Quietly out of the way, ChoMin felt a bit uncomfortable as four pairs of eyes were now resting on her.

            “Well…It’s better than working at a Room Salon, right?” she laughed. “I mean, I don’t mind cleaning up after you all. I guess I’m up for it.”

            “Are you sure?” YunHo asked, not entirely against it, yet not too sure about it either.

            “Well…”ChoMin smiled brightly, “It depends on how much you are willing to pay me.”

Throwing his big strong arm around ChoMin, YooChun gave her a nuggie with his other hand.

            “Aigoo~ that hurts!”

            “Don’t be so greedy!” YooChun laughed, but ChoMin stuck out her tongue out at him.

            “Yah! ChoMin-ah! If you stick that tongue out again, I’ll bite it!” YooChun warned, winking. Her eyes wide with shock, she clasped both her hands over .

            “So you are serious, you really want to be our maid?” YunHo’s asked again, wanting to make sure his cousin can take it. “It’ll be hard work.”

ChoMin walked to where her cousin stood and hugged him tightly. He really did care about her, and she knew that. ‘He’s such a great Oppa,’ ChoMin thought.

            “I promise to work my hardest. It’ll be fun,” she assured him. “So, can I?” she asked, looking up at him.

YunHo studied her face. ‘She seems to want to…but it’ll be just so weird. But if she really wants to.’  Sighing, he looked away stubbornly.

            “Fine. You can be our ‘hired help’. You’ll start tomorrow.”

            “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much YunHo Oppa!” ChoMin squealed with happiness and hugged her older cousin even tighter. Breaking away from the hug, she looked at the other three in the room and smiled. But she couldn’t help feel a tugging feeling at the back of her mind.

 ‘Dear God, I hope I don’t screw this up!’

Photobucket

And there you go! I tried to make this one short, but somehow it turned out to be about 19 pages. XDDD Anywho, I feel a little bad, DBSK barely came out in this chapter at all! Only towards the end though. But I promise, there will be more of YunHo, ChangMin, JaeJoong, YooChun, and JunSu in the next chapter…well, more of JaeJoong and YooChun…

Until Next Time!!!

Notes:

JiHye – YunHo’s little sister, she’s only a few months older than ChoMin and is still in her senior year in high school. (in my story)
COEX Mall - is an underground shopping mall located in the Gangnam district of Seoul, South Korea, and is the largest shopping centre in Seoul.
Goong – “The Palace” in English. It’s a popular Korean comic book with a drama, staring Yoon EunHye, with the same title.
JeeWoon: “…I have to go home and study…” - This story starts out in late June, and in Korea the 1st term starts from early March – Mid July. So JeeWoon would still be in school until mid-July. Then she’d have about 5 weeks for summer vacation until the second term starts in late August.
Mieneyo - I'm sorry (polite, but used for someone your age. Considered rude when speaking to an elder though.)
Room Salons - these establishments cater to groups of men who want to have female companionship while they drink