Fox in the Hen Coop

It's Not As Cool As It Seems

Fox in the Hen Coop
Photobucket

ChoMin shielded her eyes from the bright sunlight as she sized up the building before her. ‘Whoa... This building must be at least 30 stories high!’ She thought to herself while waiting for the street light to change.

However in all actuality, the apartment building was only 11 stories tall. Jamsil Hyundai Park Apartments & Suites was not one of the tallest buildings in Seoul, but it was well known. Not only did it have a mini supermarket, it had two stories of underground garages as well as 10 stories of apartments above. The building gave off a modern feel with its white marble pillars and its gold t; a black iron gate enclosed the majestic building. On the far right, maybe two or three miles away, the SM Entertainment building hovered over the streets with intimidation. It couldn’t be missed, for the blaring logo hovered hundreds of feet from the ground in huge bright red letters.

If one could ignore one minute detail, Jamsil Hyundai Park Apartments & Suites would seem like any hotel/apartment that littered downtown Seoul. But this detail was not insignificant - not one bit. This building was unlike any other in Seoul. This building housed five very important VIPs. This building had a legion of screaming fangirls outside it’s gates.

All of them patiently, but not quietly, waited outside the apartment gates hoping to catch a glimpse of at least one if not all of the members of Dong Bang Shin Ki. These die-hard fans would wait night and day, rain or sun, just to have a small chance in meeting the objects of their obsession.

However, getting passed the gate was nearly impossible. Security guards stood vigil out in the front gate and the main door at all hours, making it difficult for fans to infiltrate in. The guards stood ready to take action in case a fan tried breaking into the apartments. Since the members of Dong Bang Shin Ki moved in, none of the fans were foolish enough to try to sneak pass the guards. Except one.

ChoMin crossed the busy street with about fifty people when the red light flashed green. However, trying to get even near the gates proved too difficult; it was like getting the last pair of pants in a bargain bin. ChoMin almost reached her destination, when a tubby man with broken glasses held together by tape and a coffee stained DBSK shirt, was pushed in her direction. She let out a small yelp of surprise as she fell down onto the pavement and wasted no time crawling out of the mob of people before she was trampled on.

          “Urgh! This is BS! There is no way I can get through all these people” she muttered to herself, dragging her rolling suitcase to the bus bench a couple of meters away.

She sat down dejectedly; her feet kicking a few pieces of asphalt onto the busy street in front of her. With a sigh, she readjusted her hat, and dusted off her shirt. She then proceeded to take out a small brush from her purse and combed her ruffled hair. Finishing her task, she used her middle finger, (unintentionally flicking off an old man walking by) to push up the glasses that began falling off the bridge of her nose.

ChoMin wasn’t drop dead gorgeous, but she wasn’t plain either. She had black mid-back length hair, that when the sun’s position was just right, one could make out the auburn highlights. Her skin wasn’t exactly blemished free, with a few small scars here and there, which she wore proudly. ChoMin had a story for each scar she earned, and she’d gladly tell them to anyone who’d listen. Her skin wasn’t as fair skinned as most Koreans, having a light tan; she was still considered as white as porcelain back where she was raised. She was not too tall and not too short either; hovering between 5’2” and 5’3”. She looked so hauntingly familiar, but no one could figure out from where. Maybe it was her eyes or the way her face was shaped, yet still no one could place their finger on it.

With a determined breath, she marched back to the crowd, intent on squeezing through - only to find herself sitting at the bus bench a few minutes later, but this time cradling a bruised arm.

          “This is what I get for coming here,” ChoMin muttered as she paced before the bench. Swirling dark aura flared around her and bystanders nearby wisely walked as far way as they could. “I didn’t even want to come here in the first place. I could be lying on the beach right now or watching a movie with Daisy, or something! Instead of being shoved around here!”

She groaned as she angrily sat back down. With nothing else to do, she sighed dejectedly, taking out her pink-cased IPod and matching earphones. Placing her earphones on, she selected her favorite song. The melody of ‘Hug’ buzzed faintly through her head phones and into the air.

          “Listening to Dong Bang Shin Ki always helps me to relax,” she said in English, tilting her head back and closing her eyes. ‘No, I came here to visit my family. And I’ll be damned if I don’t get into that apartment.’

She subconsciously fiddled with her DBSK button that was carefully pinned to her black corduroy vest. With a new resolve, she grabbed the handle of her rolling suit case and hefted her purse and carryon. ChoMin then marched back towards the mob of fans, which she secretly felt she should be a part of. Gathering her courage, she began to shove pass the fans with new determination.

          “Excuse me! I’m coming through. Please MOVE!” she said in faulty Korean. “I have to - I have to get through! PLEASE!”

Once again close to her destination, she fought tooth and nail to get through to the front gate. Finally, she was able to touch the red rope that separated the rest of the fans from crowding against the gate. She grabbed onto the red rope to keep it in place as she placed one foot over the rope and onto the other side. But before she could even set her other foot down, a security guard placed his hands on her shoulders, thoroughly startling her.

          “Hold it! I’m sorry Miss. You can’t get into the apartments unless you show some proper identification.”

The guard, which she noticed didn’t seem that much older than herself - maybe in his early to mid twenties, was suspicious of her. His uniform looked nice and crisp, without one wrinkle, and he tried to look tough. He tried acting as if he was an important personnel, just like how most rookies tend to.

‘He must be new…’ she observed. “I’m sorry, I seemed to have forgotten mine,” she said sweetly, batting her eyelashes demurely.

“Ok Miss,” the guard said, “I can’t let you in with that one.”

With that sound answer, the gears in ChoMin's mind began to turn as she came up with a plan. Being her forgetful self, she somehow misplaced the hotel pass that YunHo had emailed her, and the next best thing was for ChoMin to carefully asses her surroundings. If she told the truth, the guard wouldn’t believe it. After all, she was sure many fans have already tried to claim they were related to DBSK. She really didn’t want to lie, but she had to get in.

She put on her best pout and batted her eyes again.

          “Please let me through,” she said demurely, “I’m supposed to be meeting my fiancé’s family today, and I’m already terribly late.”

          “Oh?” The guard said, “What are their names, well contact them for verification.”

          “That great!” ChoMin said with a fake smile, “Their family name is Kim.”

          “Kim?” The guard asked, waiting for more elaboration, “Kim what? I’m sorry Miss, but there a lot of families named ‘Kim’ in the building. Which one do you mean?”

Without breaking a sweat, ChoMin lied through her teeth. “Oh silly me,” she said, “I’m afraid I don’t know their first names. I’m sorry sir, I’m already late and I wanted to make a good impression. Is there anyway you could let me through.” She batted her eyes again, and inched closer to him.

The guard gulped, fixing his cap as ChoMin came closer to him with a pretty and innocent smile.

‘Yes! It’s working! It’s actually working!’ she smiled secretly ‘C’mon, think of something else… Come on Ebony, think of something believable.’ A new idea came into her head - and she couldn't believe what she was going to do next.

ChoMin inched even closer with her coy smile. “I’ll do anything to get in. Please, sir?”

With a nervous laugh, the guard smiled and stuttered, “Uh-um-ah, I suppose there is no harm in letting you in.” He laughed again, “Just next time, please don’t forget your pass Miss.”

ChoMin broke out into a grin. “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She bowed in gratitude to the guard, who in turn began to wipe away the sweat trickling on his forehead with a handkerchief he brought out.

          “Yah! How could you let her in but not us!” ChoMin heard someone from the crowd complain. The crowd began to push closer, almost knocking down the red rope. With an “eep” ChoMin hid behind the guard as more complaints were yelled.

         “Yeah! If your going to let her in, let me in too!”

         “Stupid girl thinks she can flirt her way in!”

The guard turned around and shook his fist in the air. “Yah! Back all of you! If you don’t calm down, I’ll call the police on you! Aish!” He turned back to ChoMin and ushered her through the gates.

She couldn’t believe it; it actually worked. And the people back home said she couldn’t act. She waited till the clanking of the opening gate stopped. Surprisingly, the mob of fans didn’t make a bee line for the small opening. Gathering her belongings, ChoMin was able to squeeze through the opening. She bowed again to the guard and thanked him for letting her in without a pass.

ChoMin neared the main door to the lobby, but as luck would have it, a new obstacle stood in her path. This time, the guard didn’t look as gullible as the previous one did. This guard had his arms to his side in a very militaristic fashion. His face showed many lines of wrinkles and a few grey hairs poked out of from under his Security cap. He politely bowed, and Cho Min returned the gesture.

          “Annyeonghasaeyo. I will need photo identification please.” His voice shook her. The guard didn’t sound rude or mean, but his voice was firm and unwavering. He stood there, eyeing her and waited patiently for the proof.

ChoMin doubted that the same lie would work twice. Besides, he sort of reminded her of her grandfather. And she never could lie to an elder. Sighing dejectedly, she opted to tell the truth.

          “I don’t have a pass,” she said with a small voice, keeping her eyes down cast. “I don't know where I placed it, but I’m here to see - someone...”

          “I’m sorry, young lady, but you cannot get in,” the old man said in a sympathetic voice. “Who is the person you want to see? I can call them for you, and if they confirm, we’ll give you a visitor’s pass.”

At this, ChoMin smiled brightly. She didn’t have to lie and have to come up with a whole plan to bypass the guard. “I’m here to see my cousin, Jung YunHo.”

The head guard eyed her suspiciously. “I see. And your name, Miss?” He asked in growing suspicion.

          “Erm, Jung ChoMin,” she introduced and bowed to the guard. When she looked back up, the sympathy on the guards face was replaced with an unreadable expression.

          “Jung ChoMin-sshi, I’ll have to kindly ask you to leave.”

ChoMin was a bit confused to what she heard. She was so sure that the guard would believe her. “But - I thought -” she protested when he interrupted her.

          “Jung YunHo-sshi and the rest of the members of Dong Bang Shin Ki asked not to be disturbed. Please go back to your home. I am sorry. Thank you for stopping bye, have a nice day.” He bowed to her in finality.

He hoped the gesture would be enough to send her on her way.

All ChoMin could do was bow back. She gathered her luggage, and turned to leave when a new idea formed in her head. She abruptly stopped, and turned around.

          “Ajusshi, if it’s not to much trouble… May I use the restroom? I promise I won’t take long.” She said in the most sugar-coated voice she could muster. ‘I don’t want to lie, but I want to see my oppa before I head off to Gwangju. All I need to do is get in…Ajusshi, I’m sorry.’

          “I am not supposed -“

         “It’ll only take a minute.” She smiled sweetly.

Sighing, the old man caved in. “Alright Jung ChoMin-sshi. Follow me. I’ll you to the ladies room” Pulling the door open for her, he let her pass. ChoMin lugged her rolling suitcase after her and waited for the old guard pass through.

ChoMin took in her surrounding. A loud voice but pleasant, which ChoMin figured was a woman’s voice, echoed in the intercom.

 “All residents report to the main
lounge for a quick announcement on the new schedule changes.
I repeat, all residents report to the main
lounge for a quick announcement on the new schedule changes…
Thank you.” 

It wasn’t as busy as she imagined it would have been. The people seemed right at home; some where lounging in the sofas in the small seating room, and some were working out in the small gym to the left. The clerk’s desk was to her right, also marble with golden t. To her farther left was a large corridor which seems to lead to the mini supermarket. Straight in front of her was the spacious lobby where a plasma TV adorned the wall, and soft sofas crowded around it. The guard cleared his throat, signaling her to follow. She stumbled to keep his pace, but eventually caught up to him. ChoMin followed him down the large lobby.

Further ahead, she could make out metal doors, one right next to another, which she assumed were the elevator shafts. Her opened-toe shoes made a soft clicking sound, as her heel came in contact with the marble floor. ChoMin glanced up at the guard, and took notice that he showed no indication that he was on to her. With each step of their feet, they grew closer and closer to the metallic lifts.

9 meters away.

People began waiting for the elevator.

6 meters away.

A few more people crowded around the metal doors. ChoMin slowed her paced to where she trailed behind the security guard a few steps.

3 meters away.

A small ding signaled the arrival of the elevator. Its metal door slid open, and the people waiting patiently crowded into the small compartment.

1 meter away. Ding!

The last person boarded the elevator; and the large metal door slid to a close.

          “Jung ChoMin-sshi,” the old guard turned around to address ChoMin, “the ladies’ facility is just -” He was bewildered. His charge was missing! He scanned the lobby for the raven haired bespectacled girl. “Aish!” Finding her nowhere in sight, he flip open his cell phone and spoke orders into it.

          “A young girl bypassed security. She’s wearing a black hat and a black vest over a pink shirt. Find her. Now.” He closed the phone shut, and stuffed into the pocket of his pants. He then walked of in search of ChoMin.


 Photobucket

ChoMin held her breath when the elevator doors closed just as the guard turned around.

‘Oh man, oh man! If I get caught, I’ll be in a crap-load of trouble. I might even go to jail! What the heck did I just do? Crap crap crap!!!!’

Her heart beat raced as fast as lightning, the adrenaline rush kept it up. She looked anxiously around her; there was barely enough room with all the people and their luggage. ChoMin was practically smushed into the elevator doors. A small ding indicated their arrival at a new floor. ChoMin moved to the side which proved to be difficult, as there was not enough room to move at all. With a great show of squeezing pass people, the ones who needed to get off, got off, leaving more breathing room for the rest left inside.

After a few more stops, only ChoMin and two other personas were left in the elevator. Having more room to move and breath, her heart beat returned to normal. Remembering her objective, she reached into the pocket of her purse and pulled out a piece of paper. Two numbers were scribbled down in haste. The first number was the floor level, and the second was the apartment number.

She looked up as the small ding once again indicated they reached another floor; this time, the remaining two occupants filed out the door. As the two occupants went their separate ways, two men, wearing security guard uniforms came down the hall.

Looking towards the elevator, the shorter of the two spotted ChoMin within the elevator pointed at her and called out. “Ya! That’s the girl!” ChoMin’s eyes grew large in fright.

She franticly pushed the “close” button on the elevator. But to her, it seemed like an eternity before it listened to her command. The two guards, walked towards her, but when they both noticed the closing elevator door, they began sprinting towards it.

          “Ya! You girl! Hold it! Hold that elevator!” The shorter one yelled after her.

The door closed just in time. The shorter guard halted just a few meters away from the closed elevator door. But the sudden stop caught the taller guard by surprise and he rammed into the shorter one. The momentum caused the two to crash down onto the floor in a heap.

          “Get off of me!” yelled the shorter one in frustration. The larger one gingerly got off, and helped the other up.

Straightening out his hat, the shorter one pulled out a walkie-talkie and spoke into it. He then pressed the button to bring another elevator.

          “The girl is heading up from level 9. We’re getting on the elevator now.”

The elevator dinged, and let the two guards inside. It closed its door, and off it went.

 Photobucket

 ‘That was too close!’ ChoMin groaned, leaning against the elevator wall. ‘I didn’t mean to make a big deal out of this. Now it feels like I’m in America’s most wanted - well, Korea’s most wanted!’ She moaned in despair as she pressed on the button labeled 10. ‘I think I’ll get off at the next floor, I’m pretty sure they think I’m going to the 11th floor. Maybe I should press the lobby button so they’ll think I’m going down…’ She leaned against the railings after she pressed the button for the first floor. She then waited for the elevator to stop.

The elevator gave a small lurch as it groaned to a stop. It once again gave a small ding, and the giant door open. ChoMin shakily pulled her suitcase out of the elevator and sluggishly dragged it along her rolling suitcase to find the nearest staircase.

Reaching a corner, the handle of her suitcase slipped from her now sweaty hands.

          “!” she cursed, not even bothering to keep her voice down.

As she bent down to retrieve it, she glanced towards the elevators. But instead of the steady decline of numbers she saw it escalate, nearing the floor she was on. Fortunately, it made a short stop on the floor she was previously at.

          “Oh crap! What am I gonna do!” she whispered in a panic and in English. There was a corner a foot away, but before she could turn the corner, a firm masculine hand pulled towards the other way, and into the shadows behind a vending machine. Her eyes grew wide with fear. The figure pressed up against her, and when she began to protest, the person’s hand covered to keep her quiet.

‘Oh god! I’m being kidnapped!’ her thoughts screamed at her. ‘I’m gonna end up dead in a sewer somewhere. Please! Anyone! Help Me.’ Not knowing what to do, she kicked and struggled against her oppressor. But it was no use, the man, which she guessed judging by the strength and how firm the body was, was just too strong. Tears welled up in her eyes. ‘I want to go home.’

After a few silent seconds, she felt soft breathing near her ear. ChoMin feared for her life even more and would gladly turn herself in to the guards then be where she was right now.

          “Don’t cry...” The man pinning her down whispered softly into her ear.

His breath tickled her and she could feel heat rising up to her ears. ChoMin found that she couldn’t control the blush creeping up her cheeks.

The man’s voice was so smooth and romantic…and it was in English.

Photobucket