Distraction

What Would Have Been

 

Prompt 120: Distraction


Definition

Noun
1. The act of distracting.
2. The state of being distracted.
3. Mental distress or derangement.
4. That which distracts, divides the attention, or prevents concentration.
5. That which amuses, entertains, or diverts; amusements; entertainment. 


Pre-debut | 2007; seventeen years old

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1MyxmGCoY

 

 

 

Song Jieun, being the pro-active school student she claimed herself to be, was studying for her final exams that were soon to determine the course she wanted to get in; something of a nurse or stewardess. She in no way thought of becoming a singer.

 

Her titles included the running class president in her grade school and had taken extra-curricular classes on top of her core classes during middle and high school. It made her parents proud, she was aware of that; but she wasn’t yet aware of her inner-self the screamed ‘entertainer’ and ‘idol’. While listening to the Geeks’ cover of Urban Zakapa’s Café latte on her laptop and drinking hot chocolate in her bedroom, her concentration was threatened by a gummy smiled teenager the same age as her, in the same class as her and conveniently from the same music school as her; the same one she lied to her parents about since before ninth grade.

 

The teenager crept from behind her to give her a spook but she halted her elbow right in time before it elbowed him right in the nose. Jieun did not bother to turn around to face him and furrowed her eyebrows even further than her previous stressed out face. “Yongguk,” she spoke apprehensively.

 

“Yes, I’m Bang Yongguk; the one and only,” he replied. He curled his left bicep with an unfaltering smirk, followed by other means of distracting Jieun. But she still had eyes solely on her work and nowhere else. She needed the money to pay for her music school that only she and Yongguk knew about; her parents would not understand yet; it was too early for them to realize their only daughter's potential in the arts.

 

"Yah I know you are, but you're also now my boyfriend." She finally acknowledged his presence and stopped twirling her pen.

 

Yongguk scooted a spare plastic hair over to Jieun's study desk and smiled, "Aw babe."

 

"Don't call me that, I'm not a pig."

 

"You're as messy as one," he reprimanded with slight humour to his voice.

 

"Well technically pigs are not as messy as people have made them up to be; the colloquial saying 'your room is a pigsty' is inaccurate and completely false because pigs keep their pigsties extremely and thoroughly clean, and plus- they're cute."

 

"You're cute." He swiveled Jieun's chair around and watched her with a grin as she blushed. "And now you're as pink as one!" Yongguk declared louder than he was supposed to; he partly covered his mouth. "Sorry." 

 

Jieun smacked her lips and pushed him over with her free hand and Yongguk went toppling onto the floor. They made more noise than she wanted to and as if on cue, her auntie or her second omma, as she commonly referred her to, came bursting through the door.

 

"Do you kids need something? Watermelon, gingseng tea, chamomile tea- it helps with calming down the nerves especially since you're in your last year and everyth-"

 

"We're absolutely fine, keun omma," assured Jieun with a stern glare at Yongguk who was trying to contain himself from laughing on the floor. Jieun's auntie looked at him and then at her and shook her head side-ways and before shutting the door she said to herself: "Aigoo, Jieunnie's going to get found out soon."

 

When the door shut, Jieun went straight back to her studies and ferociously began writing down English words with excellent fluency. 

 

"Wow, you are so y when you get all serious," Yongguk complimented. He gave her his broadest grin and she only exhaled a sigh along with the small smile that he always admired. 

 

 


Jieun at her best. :P