Time To Open-Up

You Have Me

 

Twelve midnight and Haneul couldn't sleep again. She started to be scared and at the same time, thought of Minhwan. She never thought that Jinyoung is his cousin. Forcing herself to sleep, she changed her sleeping position but the more she finds a way to sleep, the more she's being scared. Not until she felt shortness of her breath. He tried to inhale and exhale thinking it will be helpful but not. She tried to fight it and closed her eyes but she just couldn't do a move. Though it was very embarrassing because of the time, she tried to call Jinyoung because she has no choice. She set it on loudspeaker then she couldn't take it anymore so her phone slipped from her hand. “Yes?”, Jinyoung said on the other line. Haneul was crying already because she really didn't know what to do. “Please, come here. I'm having a ...hard t..time brea....thing.”, Jinyoung suddenly get up and checked the caller. He was alarmed when she found out it was Haneul. Without further ado, he took his wallet and jacket then headed to her house not telling his sleeping mom anything. When he arrived infront of her place, he quickly made a call to Haneul but she was not answering it. He's in panic mode already because something might happened to her. Guessing the door's passcode will not be helpful that time. He tried to knock and knock and no one's opening it but in a few minutes , he realized that the door wasn't properly locked. That's the time, he pushed the door and it was completely open. He decided to go to the room and he found her lying on the floor. Jinyoung rushed to her and rested her head on his lap. He didn't like what he's seeing but he doesn't know what to do. No choice, he called her mom.

 

MOM!! Help!” Mrs. Jung got shocked when she heard her son's voice on the line. She quickly get. “Jinyoung? What's wrong?”, she worriedly asked. “Mom, Haneul's having a hard time breathing. I don't know what to do!”, Jinyoung said and with that, she got confused since she knew that Jinyoung was sleeping already in their house. “Where are you?”, she asked once again. “I'm at Haneul's, she called because she couldn't breathe. Mom, help!”, he explained very quick. She got it already and started telling Jinyoung what he should do and the very first was to keep calm. He tried to follow every single thing that his mom was telling him. After 30 minutes, Haneul's normal breathing was back. Mrs. Jung told Jinyoung to end the call and just make one again if he needed something.

 

Go, sleep now, Haneul.”, Jinyoung expressed to the scared Haneul. She then closed her eyes and tried to relax. He felt sad on what happened and he kept on thinking what if she didn't call him, something bad might happen to her. He wanted to sleep but he can't, he was just watching her the whole time and thinking of some things. Thinking of what's happening to him too. After and hour, Haneul woke up and just sat on her bead, leaning on the headboard. She let out a big sigh not noticing Jinyoung who's observing her. She looked at her right and finally saw Jinyoung. She gulped and kept her head down. Jinyoung stood up and sat on the side of her bed. “Why did you suddenly wake up? Is there something wrong?”, he asked her and she answered, “I'm really like this.” He was puzzled by her answer, “Waking up on this wee hours?” and she nodded. He asked if she's feeling okay and good thing she was. What a relief for Jinyoung. He was thinking of something that he wanted to talk about with her despite of the time. He moved and sat facing her that time.

 

Minhwan is your boyfriend.”, Jinyoung finally asked. Haneul sighed and didn't know how to answer. He felt shy since he is his cousin, what if she said something bad about him, what might be Jinyoung's response to it. “Before.”, she answered feeling even more shy. “Did you tell him what happened to me?”, she asked. He panicked on her question because he told Minhwan what happened to her without consulting her. She might get mad since she doesn't want anyone to know what happened to her. “I don't care how he reacted just tell me if you told it already?”, she asked him once again and he nodded. Another reason why he didn't want to say it is because of how Minhwan gave bad reactions after finding out that she got . It will make Haneul feel so bad if that's the case. “Do you want to ask questions, go on. I will answer coz it's you.”, she initiated the topic so Jinyoung felt glad since he wanted to know what really happened between her and his cousin Minhwan. He asked her how the two of them met.

 

More than a year ago, there was an event on Haneul's highschool and bands from other school were invited. She didn't want to mingle to other people so she was just sitting on the corner and killing time. After a certain band performed, a guy sat beside her. That was Minhwan. He introduced himself to her, saying that he was one of the band members who just finished performing. Haneul introduced herself to him shyly and had some talk. He asked why is she just sitting alone on that corner and she said that she's not in the mood for that. Minhwan asked for her number and she gladly gave it because she felt comfortable talking to him. After that day, they started messaging each other, calling each other and when they are both free, they try to see each other. One of those days, Minhwan got to confess his feeling to Haneul. At first, haneul didn't know how to accept it because of her state. That's the time she told what happened to her family. Minhwan's feelings didn't change and he even said that she will never feel lonely again because he will always stay by his side no matter what. She found the protection, love and company from him and he made her happy almost everyday. Though they had little fights but at the end of the day, one of them find a way to be okay. Haneul always rant to Minhwan on how much she misses her parents and how much she wanted to see them. Haneul thought that it was okay not until one day, she got shocked when Minhwan got pissed off. He kept on shouting at Haneul, saying that he's tired of hearing the same old stories about her parents. She was so hurt and not long after that, she found out that he was seeing another girl. That was the time that she felt lonely and empty again. A week had passed of not talking and seeing each other, Minhwan came to her unit to talk. He apologized on what happened and told her that what he did is wrong and that he regretted everything. Since Haneul loved Minhwan so much, she forgave him that night also. But their relationship after that fight has never been the same before. She felt so awkward and always doubt on what Minhwan do. She kept on asking herself if the problem lies on her or on Minhwan. Another heartache came to her, that was when she found out that he was still seeing the same girl that she was seeing back then. Then she realized that the reason why he barely send her messages, calls her and bring her home was basically all because of that girl. She tried to keep it to herself at first because she wanted to save their relationship but he was too hard and finally the time came that she couldn't take it anymore. She broke up with him.

 

But Minhwan told me that you broke up with him few weeks ago?”, Jinyoung asked after Haneul told her about how they relationship went through. “Do you remember the day when you found me on the dark street?”, Jinyoung nodded on her question and he got even more curious. “That day, I told him to meet up with me to tell him something. I left my phone because I don't want any disturbance. When I came to the place I said, he was there already, smiling at me. Again, I contemplated if I should push my plan after seeing his sweet smile then I came back to reality. We talked a lot of things, about him, about me and about us. In the end, I broke up with him. He accepted it freely. What's the most painful was when he didn't even ask me if I'm serious or to think again, give it a try and then decide. But not, he just said thank you and goodbye. No sorry and it seemed like he had no idea how much he hurt me. I was on my home that time when I got , Jinyoung. That time.”, she finished explaining. Jinyoung was keeping his head down then after a few minutes, he suddenly apologized. Haneul gulped and looked at Jinyoung with worried and asking eyes. “I'm sorry in behalf of my cousin, I have no idea how much he hurt you not until this time. I'm sorry.”, he stated. Tears started to roll down from her eyes once again after he said sorry. She turned her back to Jinyoung and cried even more. “Are you crying because of him?”, he asked as he rubs her back with his hand. Haneul shook her head as answer on his question. Jinyoung let her face him again so two of them could talk properly.

 

Tell me.”, he said. Her fists clenched as tears continuously flowed out from her sad eyes. “Because whenever I remember the day I broke up with him, I always remember what had happened to me that night. I lost something that each girl has been keeping.”, Haneul said and Jinyoung's heart melted on what she said. He moved closer and hugged her. She couldn't stop crying then hold on on Jinyoung's arm so tight. She finally fell asleep on his arms. Jinyoung was about to lay her down on the bed when Haneul hugged her so tight, he tried to removed her hands on him but she won't let him do it. In result, she was hugging Jinyoung all through out her sleep and it was just okay for him as long as she'll feel comfortable. The next day when Haneul woke up, she panicked upon seeing Jinyoung beside her. With her actions, he suddenly woke up too. She was just staring at the newly-woke up Jinyoung. “So..sorry.”, she uttered and Jinyoung shifted his look on her as he rubs his eyes. “Sorry, I thought you're my pillow”, her talking was cut off because of his laugh. “No problem, nothing happened though. Anyways, are you okay now?”, he asked and she nodded. She suddenly realized the day and the time. “OH MY GOSH! I'm late!”, she screamed and ran around the house. Didn't know what to do first but then she ended up on her room. “What now?”, she asked Jinyoung with sad eyes as usual. “It's 10AM already and friday. Do you want to have everyone's attention as you enter your room? I'm not imposing that you should not attend class but.. get what I want to say?”, he explained. Haneul contemplated and let out a big sigh. So she just decided not to go to school then. “How about you?”, she asked. “Ah, I can just attend class this afternoon though.”, he answered. She thanked Jinyoung again and apologized at the same time because he disturbed him last midnight. She owes too much from Jinyoung that's why she felt even more shy. “I think I will just study for the SAT exam next month. Can't waste anytime.”, Haneul mentioned to Jinyoung and he answered, “Okay, you better do it. I'm going now and by the way, I will visit you on your school maybe next week so I can give you some of my reviewers. Will that be fine?” She nodded and finally bid goodbye to him.