Chapter Fifteen

Laws Are Meant To Be Broken.

 

 

L.Joe followed Niel out the door and into the hallway. He closed the door behind him and turned to Niel, waiting for him to say something but the boy appeared to be deep in thought.

‘You really do need to tell me everything. Where you and Chunji come from, who you are, what division you are in and most importantly what happened to that village where we found you, it obviously wasn’t an ordinary bandit raid,’ L.Joe started.

‘We haven’t got a division.’ Niel said shortly

‘What do you mean you haven’t got a division? You can’t not have one. Everyone here has one.’ L.Joe said confused and a little annoyed. Everyone in the Kingdom had a division, it was like a caste system everyone was sorted into at birth and it was extremely important, it decided how you lived, who you were acquainted with and the law. L.Joe and others of royal blood were at the top of the divisional pyramid, underneath them came nobles, lords, etc. And underneath them were the royal servants and workers. Further down there were the ordinary people that lived and worked fairly well, and beneath these people were the poorer, less fortunate people; the beggars, the thieves, the homeless, etc. However this wasn’t the last division of the pyramid, the lowest division was that of the Undesirables. The Undesirables consisted of people that had broken any of the three main laws that were the main structure of the Kingdom and as far as L.Joe knew there were none in the Kingdom because as soon as you were placed in this division you could be put to death. It wasn’t even illegal for other people to kill an Undesirable; it was even seen as a good deed. L.Joe didn’t particularly like this system but it was the law and all he had ever known so he never argued against it.

Niel took a deep breath and looked L.Joe in the eyes before saying, ‘We don’t have a division because we don’t come from here.’

L.Joe was shocked to say the least. To say that Chunji and Niel didn’t come from here was to say they came from outside the Kingdom’s borders, a place L.Joe has only heard of and a place it should be impossible to come from. The Kingdom was completely surrounded by a wall that was about 300meters high, L.Joe had never been close to the wall but he could see a section of it looking out of his window, it was hard to miss and stood out against the otherwise beautiful skyline. It was too high to see over it but L.joe had been told that beyond the wall lay a barren, hellish land where whatever Undesirables were left lived. The wall apparently had no entrance or exit, there wasn’t any need for one, the Kingdom had everything it needed within the walls and life was good. However the wall was constantly guarded. No one came in and no one left. So for Niel to say that he came from somewhere other than the Kingdom was absolutely absurd.

L.Joe suddenly grew angry, he pinned Niel up against the wall and growled at him.

‘What the hell do you mean you don’t come from here? How the heck did you get in?’ he paused as another thought entered his mind. ‘Are you Undesirables?’

Niel just stood there and didn’t resist the slightest bit. ‘I asure you my Highness, that we have not broken any of the laws.’ L.Joe was shocked at the sudden formality but he didn’t say anything and Niel continued. ‘Whether or not our parents have, I cannot say. Both mine and Chunji’s parents were killed when we were young. Chunji was snuck into the Kingdom when he was young, I do not know how. Technically I am from the fourth division. We became friends when I met him as a boy, the man who looked after him would abuse him in the most terrible ways and one day I was out hunting, I had to fend for myself, and I found him in the woods battered and dying. I was treating him as best as I could but the man who he lived suddenly and took him away. When I tried to stop him, he threatened to kill me. However I followed them and found where he kept Chunji, they were concealed so deep in the woods, so far from civilization. Whenever the man left I would sneak into their cottage and soon I became friends with Chunji. He was about ten at this time but he had already been through a lot. I looked after him as best I could and tried to keep him alive. When we grew a little older, and the man began leaving for longer periods of time, I would have him disguised as a girl and I would take him into town and take him around. Before then he had never left the woods and suddenly he was becoming a much happier person. I promised that once we were a little older, I’d get him out of there and we’d run away. Last year however, the man recognized Chunji while we were in town and found out about what we had been doing all these years. He dragged us back to the cottage and chained me and Chunji in the cottages basement. He didn’t harm me much but he tortured Chunji. The day you found us, he had dragged us out of the cottage and left us at that village square. I don’t know why. He was definitely the one who killed all those people, again I don’t know why. I hope this has answered some questions’ Niel finished and prayed that whatever he had said was enough for L.joe to spare himself and his best friend.

L.Joe’s grip loosened on Niel and he stepped away from the boy in a daze. After a few minutes that seemed like eons, L.Joe cleared his head and looked up at Niel, his eyes narrowed. He had to do what was right, what he had been taught to do.

Author's Note: ooooh what's gonna happen? What do you think L.Joe's verdict will be? Also I think a few things have been explained but I'll wait till next chapter to tell you guys what the three main laws are, do you want to guess? Please comment and suscribe, it really gets me hyped up and happy.