Heartbroken

A Midwinter Night's Dream

After Sunny's first night, Jeti and Taeyeon had escorted Sunny to their usual lunch area, and she met the rest of the girls. She was immediately dragged into group hugs as the excited girls who hadn't met her yet introduced themselves and chatted away. It only took Sunny a few minutes to become comfortable and laugh and talk to the girls. She finally felt at home.

"I also have something to announce!" Yuri yelled above the noise.

Yoona, knowing what she was going to say, blushed and hid behind Sooyoung, who was splashing her soup everywhere.

"Yoona and I - "

"HOLY !" Sooyoung yelled, throwing her arms up in the air, cutting Yuri off and spilling soup all over Yoona, "You two finally got together!"

Hyoyeon ran over and hugged Sooyoung, spilling the rest of the soup onto Yoona, who by now had bits of chicken in her hair.

Sunny turned and stared open mouthed at Taeyeon, who grinned at her. 
Meanwhile Sooyoung had grabbed Yoona and Yuri by the wrists and was forcing their heads together.

"Kiss!" she yelled.

"Aish! Friggin shikshin" Yoona yelled at Sooyoung.

"You sure can talk for someone who empties the fridge in one day Yoona!" Yuri yelled at Yoona.

"KISSSSSSSSSSS!" Sooyoung yelled again.

She finally got them to do so. Yoona, covered in soup, and Yuri, leaning up just slightly to kiss her girlfriend's lips. 
Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were grinning as they stared at them, like proud parents.
Sunny once again turned to Taeyeon and they burst into laughter.

That had been two weeks ago. It was now a Saturday night and Taeyeon was curled up on one end of the couch, Sunny was curled up at the other end, hugging a pillow. Jessica and Tiffany had gone out for a dinner date, but Taeyeon knew that Tiffany had organised it so that she was alone with Sunny.




*Taeyeon's POV*
I lay curled up at the end of the couch, I was half aware of what was on tv, some comedy of sorts. I was mainly focused on Sunny's form curled up at the other end of the couch, her breathing was deep and slow, and I wondered if she was sleeping, but then she laughed her wonderful, adorable laugh that I adored from day one. I grinned, not at the comedy, but just at her. As her laughter subsided she turned to me, still smiling. 

"Omo! Taengoo I can't believe this show! How come I've never seen it before," she turned her head back to the screen,
"It cheers me up well."

I frowned slightly, looking at her as she once again directed her attention at the screen. I studied her face..what did she mean? Her voice echoed in my head, 'It cheers me up well.'...
I remembered walking to lunch with Sica and Fany, they were talking about how they think something's hurt her and how she seems really sad inside. Maybe that's true...
What if some stupid guy broke her heart and she never trusts anyone again in that way..I wondered if I'd still have a chance...

"Taeng?...Taeng?" A soft voice broke through my thoughts.

I slowly came back to reality, I suddenly felt tired, emotionally and physically. Sunny had moved closer to me, one hand on my shoulder gently shaking me. 

"Taeyeon.." her face was full of concern. Suddenly everything sped up and I snapped out of it.

"Sorry!" I sat up slightly, "I was just dreaming, I'm kinda tired."

"Oh...well you wouldn't answer and you were really pale..but I asked if you'd like a hot drink?"

"Mmm...yes please Sunny."

Whilst she was busy in the kitchen I stared at the tv, she had been so close to me, her face not far from mine. Staring into her eyes made me feel safe and warm, and it didn't matter that I couldn't be her girlfriend, at least we were friends...at least I got to be near her. I think that was enough for me. No...nearly enough for me. I knew I wanted more, but at the same time I was okay with what I had. I put my head in my hands. Why was I so confused?!

"Taeng!" I suddenly felt someone wrap their arms around me. It was Sunny. She lifted my chin with one hand. I realised I was crying and quickly brushed away the tears.

"Taeyeon...tell me what's wrong?" 

I looked up and smiled at her, "I'm fine, I'm just tired and stressed..and I usually cry when that happens." I laughed but it sounded hollow.

"Come on," Sunny said, standing and holding out her hand to me, "Bed time."

I held her hand tightly all the way to my room, she put my hot drink on the table beside my bed. As I lay down to sleep the last thing I remember was her hugging me and whispering soothing words.
'It's okay Taengoo, just sleep...'
*End of Taeyeon's POV*


Sunny quietly shut Taeyeon's door and walked back into the lounge. She stopped and stared at the spot where Taeyeon had been sitting. Frowning she sat back down and finished watching the programme while sipping her hot drink. She was confused, she hadn't believed Taeyeon when she claimed she was just tired. Was she sad for some reason...or had she had a bad day?
Sunny didn't know, but as she turned off the tv and retired to her dark room, her own wave of sadness washed over her. She collapsed onto the bed, her body already shaking as she cried into a pillow.
She wanted be loved again, to be held. She wanted her back.

(Next day)

"Sunny do you want toast?" Tiffany asked as she prepared her own breakfast. Sunny didn't answer so Tiffany glanced up and caught her staring absently at her cereal. She looked tired and upset.
Tiffany sat down opposite her.
"Sunny," she bit her toast, "Are you okay?"
The shorter girl suddenly sat up straight and looked at the taller girl. "Yes." she replied simply, picked up her spoon and began munching her cereal.

Tiffany ate a bit more toast before speaking again, "Lee Sunkyu the liar."

"Aniyo, don't call me that.."

 

"Lee. Sunkyu. You. Are. Lying."

Sunny stared at Tiffany then slowly put down her spoon. It seemed like she was zoning out again but all of a sudden she spoke, "No...I'm not okay."

"I knew that Sunny ah...what happened?"

"I'd been dating someone for more than half a year.." the blonde girl choked up suddenly and blinked back tears, "A few months ago.." the next part was whispered, "I found out she'd cheated on me.."

Tiffany reached out and rubbed Sunny's shoulder comfortingly. Tiffany was naturally like that, she had a comforting, calm prescence, the type of person you felt you could go to with all your problems and it would be okay after.

Sunny continued, more composed now, "But I still think about her everyday...it's worse at night when I'm alone. I want her back so badly..I just want someone, I need the hole in me filled, have you ever felt that Tiffany ah?

"No I haven't, though I know I'd feel that if Sica left for whatever reason."

Sunny fell into silence and Tiffany smiled at her and got up to go to the bathroom, she passed by her bedroom and saw Taeyeon crouched in the doorway, where she'd been listening. She smiled sadly at her, the look on Taeyeon's face said it all.

*Taeyeon's POV*
I came out of the bathroom after washing my face and heard Sunny's voice, I ducked quickly into Tiffany's dark room where Jessica was still asleep. I crouched down and listened, catching onto the conversation..

"...what happened?" came Fany's voice.


"I'd been dating someone for more than half a year.." Sunny's voice sounded choked up and tearful, "A few months ago.." the next part was whispered and I strained to hear it, "I found out she'd cheated on me.."

There was a silence, and I realised that Sunny indeed liked girls...that was good, there might still be hope for me. But I could hear her talking again.

"But I still think about her everyday...it's worse at night when I'm alone. I want her back so badly..I just want someone, I need the hole in me filled, have you ever felt that Tiffany ah?

"No I haven't, though I know I'd feel that if Sica left for whatever reason."

I'd stopped listening as what I had heard hit me. I looked up as Tiffany walked past me, she smiled sadly when she saw me. She knew what I was feeling.
Sunny was heartbroken by someone and I was heartbroken over the fact that I wasn't the one to mend her.