Has comfort been found?

A Midwinter Night's Dream

Taeyeon couldn't help herself. 
After seeing Sunny cry herself to sleep, shaking on her bed many nights ago, Taeyeon kept returning to poke her head around the door and check on Sunny each night. Each night had been the same, Taeyeon would silently watch from the doorway as Sunny's shaking form lay on the bed. She never faced the door when she slept, she always lay with her knees bent and kind of hunched as if she was trying to roll into a protective ball. There was always a gap in her curtains, and Taeyeon knew Sunny did that on purpose because she'd watched one night as Sunny had gotten up and opened them a little, but she didn't know why. She had also learnt that Sunny was only half awake as she cried. The poor girl even cried in her sleep.

She had picked up on all these little details after watching Sunny night after night before finally retiring to her own bed, but she still didn't know how to comfort her or talk to her about it. She never got much sleep anymore.

Tonight was the 8th night since Taeyeon had first seen Sunny cry herself to sleep. Once again, Taeyeon flicked off the bathroom light and wandered through the lounge and to Sunny's room. As usual, the door was slightly ajar, as usual, Taeyeon silently poked her head around it and let her eyes adjust to the gloom. As usual, the short blonde haired girl lay hunched, her legs bent up. As usual she wasn't facing the door. As usual there was a gap in the curtains where faint light shone through. 

Taeyeon watched, tears coming to her eyes.

...As usual, Sunny's body shook as she cried. 


*Sunny's POV* 
I lay there in the dark, it hadn't been long since I'd gotten into bed but it felt like hours had dragged past. I stared at the gap in the curtains, I don't think I can sleep without it there. It's my own personal portal.

Anyway, I lay in bed, and all the thoughts I'd been suppressing over the course of the day came flooding into my head. My stupid ex. Aish! At first I was angry and thought up all the nasty things I could have said to her that day when I found out she'd cheated, but instead I'd stood there, my mouth hanging open like some stupid fish. Slowly I felt my eyes tear up, and my anger left me and was replaced with sadness. I buried my face into the pillow to stop myself from sobbing and just let my tears soak the fabric, my body racked with sobs. I vaguely remember falling asleep as one name echoed through my head.
'Amber...Amber....Amber...'
*End of Sunny's POV*


Taeyeon lay on her back, staring at the ceiling. She couldn't explain how she felt...empty?
Whenever she thought about how much Sunny cried each night over her ex she just didn't feel...right. Almost on the verge of feeling sick, knowing she couldn't help.


*Taeyeon's POV* 
Ugh, that's it. I've been lying here for hours now, I'm going to check on Sunny.
I slowly felt my way through the dark room, stumbled through the lounge and stopped at her door. I rubbed my eyes and took  a deep breath and this time, instead of just poking my head around the door, I stepped halfway into her room, half my body hidden behind the door. Something was different, she was still curled in her usual position but she was facing me. 
I froze and inhaled sharply, holding my breath. Was she awake and had she noticed me?

I began to slowly exit her room.

"Hmm mmph...Taengoo?" A quiet, slightly muffled voice asked.

I froze again. Her voice was so perfect, and that was the first time she'd ever called me Taengoo. It sounded so perfect coming from her lips.
I hesitated...

"Sunny..." I whispered.

"What's happening? Why're you here?"

"I uh..." Think! Taeyeon, think!  "I thought I heard you cry out in your sleep, and came to check on you. I thought you were having a nightmare."

"Oh..." She was quiet for a bit. "Did I say someone's name?"


This surprised me. Had she actually been dreaming about her ex? "I didn't hear, all I heard was a muffled shout. I couldn't make it out." I answered, hoping she believed me.

She sat up, I could see her outline but not her features because the light through the window was coming from behind her. "But...but I've been awake for a while Taeyeon." She sounded confused, and I quickly came up with something.

"Oh! Well it must have been Sica and Tiffany..." I realised how bad that sounded.

Sunny picked up on what I said, "Ooooh Taeng that's quite dirty, were you listening to them?" She was teasing me.

"Aniyo! I was already half awake, and the shout woke me up more! I wasn't listening!"

"Shhh," she whispered, "You're being too loud, come here." She patted the area beside her and my heart rate increased and I got butterflies in my tummy. The palms of my hands were slightly sweaty and my mouth was  completely dry. I didn't know why I was getting so nervous.

I sat on the edge of her bed, she was sitting up in the middle, the blanket covering from her midsection downwards, she had a large shirt on. It made her seem smaller and more innocent.
We spoke at the same time.

"Sunny bunny.."

"Taengoo.."

We both froze and then I nodded at her to continue, I was at a loss for words, so I couldn't have spoken even if I tried really hard.

"You okay?"

I was silent for a few seconds, the gap in the curtains making the moonlight shine onto my dream girl's face, I knew what I wanted to say to her, but I didn't want to sound angry....omo...'Aish just do it anyway'.

I spoke gently but steadily, not wanting to make her cry.
"Aniyo Sunny ah, you shouldn't be asking me if I'm okay. should be asking you if you're okay. Look...you don't have to tell me what's going on, but like you said to me, and I'll repeat it back to you; if something is wrong in your life then you have to fix it. It's better than waiting for it to fix itself, because that will just hurt you more. In your case Sunbun, it's better if you don't wait for your feelings to fade away, but you should turn away from them and try move on, focus on better things in life."

I paused for breath, and she spoke hesitantly, "My...my feelings?"

I stared at her...aish she didn't know I knew that she was heartbroken over her ex. Should I just come out and say it? Say that I'd overheard? Or that I'd worked it out myself...darn maybe the truth. Just tell the truth.

"Ahhh..." I scrunched my face, would she be angry? Oh well.."I overheard you telling Tiffany that morning, weeks ago. I know about your ex..or at least how you feel about them. I uhh...also know that you cry before you sleep and during your sleep." I bit my lip and looked down. I knew I sounded like some crazy byuntae who spied on her. She was silent.
I looked up at her and her eyes were teary, she was biting her lip too. 

"Taen...goo.." she was all choked up, and could barely whisper my name. She silently leaned over and I shuffled closer to her, letting her hug me as I held her. I gently rocked her in my arms, murmuring to her. This was more than I could ever ask more, to be this close, this intimate with her. I couldn't imagine us being closer, even though we could be, it didn't seem possible right now. I could feel her hot breath against my neck as she cried.

"Tae...I want to move on from her...and I dont..know...how." She was sobbing louder now, like she'd needed to get this out for months.

"Shhhh," I pulled away slightly from her so I could see her face, I gently brushed away the tears from her cheeks with my thumb and pulled her close to my chest, "Shhh Sunbun," I whispered in her ear, "You're here to start a new life, and it's Christmas soon, in the New Year it's going to be a totally fresh start."

I her short hair, running my fingers through it and it seemed to calm her down a lot. I slowly stopped rocking her as her breathing slowed. I leant down and made her lie back on her pillows, bringing the blankets up to her chest so she wouldn't get cold. She was dead to the world, deeply asleep. I smiled sadly at her then leaned down again to lightly kiss her forehead. I wasn't being a ert. This wasn't a stupid byuntae moment, I cared for Sunny deeply already, and I knew in that moment that I was in love with her, and I didn't know it yet, but this moment would stay in my memory until the day I died.
*End of Taeyeon's POV*





(Oh my god it's been so long I am so so sorry - I just kind of drifted away from the fanfic scene y'know..and stuff's been going on in my life - as you know school's pretty hard out here. I've had this chapter saved for a while...and have back ups which I'll release over the next while. In the meantime, enjoy and I'm sorry!)