Assuring ourselves

I'm Okay - HIATUS

 

 

 

 

 

Yoon Doojoon stopped the car. "Here we are," he said to the girl sitting beside her.

"Naeun?"

The girl shook her head as if she was just woken up from a dream. Doojoon sighed. "You okay?"

She nodded. "Here's where your uncle works?" she asked as she turned to her right, to the huge white building outside the window.

"Yes."

"And where Junhyung goes for his treatment...?" Her tone turned sorrowful.

"Yes."

"You think we'd find him here, oppa?"

Doojoon turned his head, only to be welcomed by her gaze. The two eyes were full of hope, but it saddened him. It made him disappointed that those feelings were for his friend and not for him.

Nonetheless, it didn't matter. The pityful Yoon Doojoon had always been like that, giving assists to Yong Junhyung so that his best could take the goal instead of him, covering feelings to Son Naeun so that his first love could be happy with the man of her choice.

And being that Yoon Doojoon he had been, he nodded his head and replied, "Yes."

 

About twenty minutes later, Yoon Doojoon found himself being left alone. Stepping down the last stair case, he leaned his head to the wall, sighing. He shouldn't have run all the way to the rooftop.

It was just his luck that when both of them reached his uncle's office, Junhyung just left. The man happened to have finished his monthly check up and went to take a breather. The next thing he knew, Naeun ran and he followed along.

He sighed again. His heart ached. But he was sure his chest did not. It was his feelings.

His mind went back to the night he brought Junhyung to Naeun's place...

"Oppa, it was... Junhyung..."

Doojoon looked away, couldn't bear to look into her watery eyes.

"He was here..."

He kept maintaining his head position, still refused to face her. But suddenly he felt his hand was grabbed.

"Oppa, can I see him again? Once more.... Can I meet him?"

He closed his eyes, regretful feelings started to fill in.

"Yoon Doojoon, are you alright?" he asked to himself, "Why are you always so pitiful?"

 

Seconds passed by and the sound of blowing wind was the only thing in the air. The weather was warm, but Son Naeun felt cold.

The man he had been longing for all these years was standing before her. He looked thinner than she remembered. His hair was no longer plain black, but cool brownish blonde. He had gotten hie ears pierced. The Yong Junhyung that she was seeing looked dashing.

Yet, she was sad for him. And she hated herself for feeling so.

She knew there was something wrong when he said he didn't remember her. He's not well, she recalled Doojoon told her. The rest of Doojoon's explanation was hertbreaking. It made Naeun wondered if it was the reason he left years ago. If it was, and Naeun wished it was, then there was a chance that he still harbored the same feelings.

Because Naeun still did. She was still waiting for the man named Yong Junhyung. A promise to be together, a swear to faithful love, she would never gave him up.

"Junhyung..." Naeun finally said, trying to break the silence.

"Junhyung-ah, it's me..." she said again. This time, she took a step forward.

The man flinched, but he didn't run away. Neither he replied a word.

Another silence. Naeun didn't know what to do.

He was standing before her, but he felt so far away.

Yet, she knew she shouldn't stay quiet. No, she didn't want him to run again. He had enough suffering, she only wished she could at least ease bit by bit of it away. Therefor, she wanted him to stay, so that she could be by his side.

She rushed to hug him.

He seemed to resist at first, but Naeun could soon feel his body relaxed. He didn't hug her back and Naeun didn't care. She had him in her arms and she was not planning to let go.

"It's me, Son Naeun," she said softly, laying her head on his chest. She could hear his heartbeat. It was beating rapidly and Naeun knew he felt for her.

"That annoying little neighbor whom you treated like a sister, that junior who always ride your bike with you to school, that girl whom you proposed under the starry sky... " her voice started to stagger, "Junhyung, do you remember? Please tell me you do."

Please, she screamed deep down inside.

Please

Please

"Naeun-ah, I miss you..."

 

Son Naeun's eyes widened upon hearing his reply. She looked up to face him and she found him looking down to her face. Suddenly, she felt arms around her shoulder.

Warm. It was Yong Junhyung's warmth.

She snuggled in his hug. Smile on her face. She was happy.

"I'm relieved, I have been waiting for this moment," she said with a voice that almost sounded like a cry.

"You- you stay..."

She looked at him in confusion.

"Everything else in my memory, they fade in time, but you - I don't know why, I can't tell how - I remember you. Your gaze, your face, and your smile. I recognize you as someone so precious to me, but I don't remember what we've had gone through. Then Doojoon told me we were engaged- I-"

"Don't worry about it," Naeun said, cupping his face, "You left, but we meet again and that is the only thing that matters."

True. And she was more than satisfied when Junhyung responded with a small smile.

 

It didn't take long for Doctor Kim to find out about Naeun, a girl from his patient's past. To his surprise, his nephew, Doojoon, also knew her. Just a childhood friend, he remembered him saying with a sad look on his eyes.

He thought there were more to it than what his nephew told him, but he didn't want to dig in. He could feel the  tension in his nephew just at the mention of the girl's name and the last thing he would wanna do was bothering with his nephew's personal problem. His nephew had always been a reliable boy, therefor, he trusted that he would still be so.

He had invited Son Naeun for a meeting this afternoon.

The girl told Doojoon what had happened after she confronted Yong Junhyung and Doojoon told his uncle, the doctor. Doctor Kim couldn't be more thankful for that.

"Annyeonghasaeyo."

"Oh, Son Naeun-ssi," he said to the girl who just entered the room, "You came on time. Please have a seat."

The young lady took her seat across from him. Her expression showed uncertainty mixed with worried.

"I'm sure you wonder why I called you?" he decided to start.

The girl nodded.

"I've heard from Doojoon. He's my nephew, I believe he has told you about this."

Another small nod.

"I've been Junhyung-gun's doctor for about 4 years now. I remember he first came to me as a musician in his early 30s who had not been living in Seoul for more than three months. He looked absolutely fine and healthy, so I was confused that he signed up to see me."

"He then started to tell me what he had been experiencing and what he thought he might have. He had had a checkup at a doctor in countryside and he was told of a possibility. He decided to seek me to get a confirmation, but I think he was actually looking for a denial."

"Unfortunately, I couldn't give him the answer he hoped for. There was something wrong with his physical condition. Do you know what is Junhyung-gun having, Naeun-ssi?"

The girl seemed to be uncomfortable at the question. She cleared before answering, "No... Frankly, no. Doojoon oppa refused to talk more. He...he's different these days. He only told me Junhyung is sick and he's forgetting everything. Doojoon oppa thinks I can be a help."

Doctor Kim folded his arms on the desk. He sighed.

"Yong Junhyung has alzheimer. It is uncommon for men in his 30s to be struck with such disease, but he has it. Perhaps it is in the genes. He once told me his grandfather had the same thing. His grandfather died at the age of 57, eight years after he was found out with the disease. Therefor, it is very possible for Junhyung-gun to have the disease since he is a descendant of a patient with early development of alzheimer."

"We ran the test. It was clearly shown he had it. I still remember the look on his face, he was...crushed."

Doctor Kim paused as Naeun covered with her right hand. Her eyes were teary.

Giving her a box of tissue, he continued, "Alzheimer causes the patient to slowly forgetting things and later may spreads to cause the unability to move. It is a degeneration within the brain cells. As it progresses, it affects daily lives greatly, making the patients unable to perform even the simplest thing such as eating."

"I told him to not give up, to live his life to the fullest as much as he could. Alzheimer has always been at the forefront of medical research. Better medicine are found as time passes by."

"Then I asked him about his family, whether there was anybody the hospital should contact regarding the matter. He said none. He didn't even mention Doojoon's name, which I would have soon recognized. He only told me that he wanted to open a new page."

"I don't remember his exact words. He told me about the love of his life whom he left. He did not want the lady to know about his condition above of all people, saying she deserved better. He said he was going to face all of these alone."

Naeun was in tears already. She wiped her wet cheek with the tissue as her breath became short.

"Naeun-ssi, is it okay for me to continue?"

A nod.

Doctor Kim took a deep breath. "All along, I've been going with Junhyung-gun's idea of facing it alone. I respect his choice, but now that you've found him, I see a light in Junhyung-gun's treatment."

"The problem is his disease is progressing fast. Like I've said, this is an uncommon case. He is heading towards a severe decline of motoric and cognitive abilities. In the future, he will need help from the people around him and he shouldn't face it alone, not when he actually has people who care for him. I've talked to Doojoon about this and I am going to ask you the same thing."

"Would you stay by Junhyung-gun's side?"

 

Son Naeun did not care if her eyes were very puffy, she needed to see Yong junhyung now. Ringing bell to the door which was told by Doctor Kim as Junhyung's apartment, she wiped more tears that fell down to her cheeks.

She pressed the bell once again. Few seconds after, the door was finally opened, revealing just the man she was looking for.

"Naeun...? What are you d-"

She immediately wrapped her hands around his waist, leaning her head to his chest and listening to his heartbeat. It was calm, just the comfort she needed.

"Are you...okay?" he asked.

Naeun let him go. Wiping the last drops of tears once more, she asked, "May I come in?"

The man looked surprised, but he stepped behind giving her space to walk in.

"Is something wrong?" he asked as she entered the living room.

She looked at him, really took a good look of him. He looks fine, she said to herself, but why...

The thought of the conversation she just had with Doctor Kim brought pain to her chest. Yong Junhyung, the man that she loved and also the one who broke her heart, still thought of her even in his fading memory. He still loved her.

And truly, that was all that mattered to Naeun to finally made her decision.

"Junhyung-ah, do I still stay in your memory?"

Seconds of silence passes as she nervously waited for the words from his lips.

"...Yes."

"Then, may I truly stay from now on? By your side, in person?"

Naeun closed her eyes, waiting for his response. Her heart beat uncontrollably. She wondered if she was ready for a "no" answer. She just realized how she didn't really take into account the other possibility. She came feeling sure the man who left her would take her again.

Is it even logical? she asked herself.

"Why...? Why would you-"

"Please just say yes," she said.

Naeun could feel the tension in Junhyung's body after hearing her response. She feared what she didn't expect would happen, but still she waited.

And waited.

"Yes...?" he said in an unsured tone.

"That's good, that's good," said Naeun, wrapping her hands around his waist tighter.

No, it's not logical. Any smart woman in her position would not do what she was doing. Coming back to the embrace of a man who dumped you, wasn't there higher chances of him to leave you again? Men had always been untrustworthy. They were physically strong, but their inner sides tended to be weak. They could tie themselves into a commitment with one girl, then got tempted by another prettier girl.

But just this once, Naeun would like to trust Yong Junhyung all over again, that he would stay by her side as she stayed by him, leaving all the grief behind.

 


Special chapter where everything is written not from Junhyung's POV!

I must say that I may not write in Junhyung's POV again as in this story, his health is getting worse, and ,after 8 chapters describing how it feels like for the main character to have a sickness, I'd like to expose how his condition affects people around him. On the side note, I'm loving Doojoon's character! It's unclear now, but more of him will be exposed in later chapters!  Therefor, until the next update...