Hoping for

I'm Okay - HIATUS

What's my name?

"Yong Junhyung"

 

What do you do?

"I produce music."

 

Where do you work?

"Cube Entertainment."

 

What day is today?

"Monday."

 

Name the note after Do.

"Re, Mi, Fa, Sol... Argh!"

 

Yong Junhyung was in no mood of asking himself questions. The usual headache had become more and more intense as days passed by.

He was actually used to it. It had somewhat become a part of his life now – a throbbing pain at both temples of his head. Guess after a good four years, a sickness started to doesn't feel like one.

It tore him apart, this thing.

It ripped his life in a the most cruel way it could. Bits by bits. Starting from his mind, slowly to his body, then... He didn't even dare to think about what's next.

He knew.

Because out of millions things he had in memories, it was this thing that he couldn't seem to forget. Why? He used to like to ask himself. Why him?

 

The reception staff greeted him with the brightest smile she had.

Junhyung was sure it was not because he was handsome, not because he made cool music. It was her job to greet each routine patient with a smile to give them a little encouragement, that they would be healed, that they shouldn't give up on medicines, that medical technology could help them.

He thought about this bitterly as he stepped into the elevator that would take him to the second floor.

He hated going to hospital. He disliked being reminded of his "flaw".

Lately, he liked to use that term to define what he had been having inside his body.

He hated it so much, if he were to be born again he was sure him in the after life would still be hating this "flaw".

But he wouldn't give up.

Yong Junhyung was no coward, he said to himself.

 

"Come in."

Junhyung turned the knob opened, revealing the office he was too familiar with, and the man in white robe who sat behind the too familiar desk.

"Oh, hello, Junhyung-gun." The old man, too, had a smile that was similar to that receptionist staff, making Junhyung sometimes wondered if his words of encouragement all these times were true or not.

But he was the doctor. And a good patient believed all he said.

He bowed. "Ahjussi, annyeonghasaeyo."

"Please sit, I have an important matter to be discussed with you."

Bad news. Junhyung just knew it. After thousand of times coming to visit this office, he knew there was no "important matter" in the doctor's dictionary. Only bad news. More prescription. More theraphies. More MRIs.

"Is it...?"

"Yes, your latest MRI test result has come out. It's -um..."

Junhyung sighed in impatience. "Just tell me, doctor, is it getting better or worse?"

The doctor cleared his throat and fixed his glasses, didn't give any good signs. "You have been taking your medications regularly, correct?"

"I... I think." Junhyung wondered if the doctor remembered he tended to forget those kind of stuffs, regulations and schedules.

"Your...disease is not getting any better, Junhyung-gun. In fact, it's...worsening. If you take a look of your brain here, it's spreading. Your medication, however, should slow it down, but I am not sure you follow your prescription."

Junhyung put his head down in shame.

Doctor Kim was true as he had always been. Works had been confiscating his time lately, and his attention, making him to forget taking care of himself.

He wouldn't lie if his job sometimes served as a getaway from all these diseases thing.

"Look, Junhyung, it is not the end yet. We can still slow it down. You can still continue making music-"

"Doctor, please." His hands had turned into fists now. "I have already had trouble doing music that I love the most and I had given up the love I cherish so much, please... Help me.."

A long sigh was heard from the doctor. "Theraphy. If medication doesn't really work, more theraphies will help you. Keep reviewing some facts about yourself. Go to places you have ever been. Take a vacation or if you can't do that now, adopt a pet. Dog is a good option."

A dog... Junhyung nodded. He might really get one soon.

He rose up from his seat, ready to leave, but before that, something crossed his mind. A question he had been asking for the last four years.

"Doctor Kim, about the cure.."

"I haven't received any bright news so far about that, Junhyung-gun. I'm sorry."

He nodded. When he got to the door, he suddenly feel the need to straightened one thing to the doctor.

"You know, I was not hopeless when you told me I'm sick. Because you said that the scientists were currently still in the midst of studying this disease, that they might evetually find a cure... I hoped they'd find it soon, as long as I still live."

The old doctor smiled. "I'm glad you think that way."

 

Junhyung directly followed Doctor Kim's suggestion to walk down the lane of memories.

His first stop? The Namsan Tower.

He bought himself a ticket to the Teddy Bear museum and walked inside. It must look weird; a guy in his late 20s, going to a doll museum alone, and smiling as he passed by each exhibits, but those dolls, they remind him of her.

Her smile. Her laugh. Her chuckle. They all came to him again liked a rush of memory waves.

Their first date.

He was glad he could still remember.

 

The ice cream shop at Sinchon probably was not the best in Seoul, but it was the only ice cream place Junhyung always visited.

It was Monday and the rush hour wouldn't start until another hour, so the shop was pretty much empty.

He ordered his usual coffee flavour and took a seat at the corner of the shop, just beside the window.

She had always like that spot because she got to watch people passed by. She liked being in the crowds and disliked being alone.

Then Junhyung turned to the untouched ice cream that started to melt. She liked letting her ice cream melted too and cutely asked him to finish it up for her.

He smiled as he stared at the ice cream, secertly thanking it for reminding him of such memory.

 

Just like any other Seoulites, Han River meant a lot to him.

He took a cab and found himself ended up under the Banpo bridge.

They were not turning on the fountain at the moment. To be truthful, he forgot the fountain show schedule, but he used to come here at the right time, always managed to catch the dazzling fountain as it sprayed out from the bridge colorfully.

He decided to stare the bridge anyway, hoping he could grasp some memories from it.

He surely remembered he used to come here a lot, but...

What did he do beside staring at the fountain? There was her. He remembered her smiling. The colorful lights from the fountain was reflected on her clear orbs, but what then?

 

An hour passed by and Junhyung was still in the same position, standing by the river, slightly leaning towards the railings, eyes on the bridge, hoping for a flash of memory.

But nothing happened.

Suddenly, for the first time after a very long long time, Yong Junhyung wished he was not sick.

 


Second chapter, I wrote this as I was finishing my final essay for english class. I think it's kinda cool how I managed to finish this faster than my essay.

Yong Junhyung, truly a source of inspiration.