Facing reality

I'm Okay - HIATUS

 

 

What's my name?

"Yong Junhyung"

 

What do you do?

"..."

 

 

Junhyung was lost of words. He buried his head to the pillow. Why did he still remember? How could he still know that he was out of work? This thing was getting really confusing. Is it my fate to only remember sorrowful memories?

He should ask Dr. Kim about this, but why did he feel like he just saw him a few hours ago? He could feel it, he was sure of it.

He better called the doctor and asked. His hands reached the bedside table, searching for the phone. It wasn't there. Damn it!

Annoyed, he kicked away the blanket that was covering him. Cold soon welcomed him, but his mind was too occupied to care. He went to the desk, opening all the drawers. He searched the wardrobe, messing up the stacks of clothes. He turned to the bed again, rummaging through the crumpled blanket. All for nothing.

"Where is it, DAMN IT!" he yelled in frustration. "Please, tell me... Remind me..."

He fell seated to the floor, leaning at the bedroom door frame. Then he began hitting his head to the wooden frame.

"Damn, damn, damn, DAMN!"

His hand went to the back of his head. It hurt. And useless.

Tears were gathering at his eyelids, so he leant his head further to the door frame, trying to prevent them from falling. He sighed. Then abruptly bursted into laughter.

What a morning. When will this kind of situation stop happening to me?

A foolish question he kept asking to himself.

He was going to get up and find the Cheerios, since he reckoned he would most likely need to spend some time finding the cereal box too, but a ring on the bell stopped him. Groaning, he walked to the door, didn't bother to peek who was on the other side.

A little part of him was afraid it was her who showed up at his doorstep again. He wasn't ready, he would never be. But a little part of him also wouldn't mind if it was her.

His hand turned the door knob opened. He wasn't expecting Doctor Kim and a male stranger to visit him early in the morning.

 

It was awkward.

For years, Junhyung had known Doctor Kim. When people came in and out of his memories, the middle-aged man stayed. He was his only hope after all and he visited him often, but never to the extend of visiting each other...as long as Junhyung could remember.

"This is a pretty nice apartment you live in, Junhyung-gun."

Junhyung just nodded in agreement. His unit was definitely not bad, it was just that he had been having hard time trying to locate some stuffs just in this 2500 feet squared area.

"Please sit, ahjussi," he said, not forgetting his manner.

The older man soon helped himself with the comfy sofa, but his young male company stood still.

Junhyung didn't know what to do. For sure, he had no idea who this guy was. Perhaps he was the doctor's son? But was it appropriate for a doctor's son to stare at his father's patient with a sharp look?

"Ah, I almost forget to introduce him. Junhyung-ah, this is Doojoon, Yoon Doojoon, my nephew."

"Oh..." Junhyung quickly offered his hand for a shake, "Hi, I'm Junhyung-"

"When do you plan to stop acting like a fool?"

"Huh?"

"Cut the crap, Yong Junhyung!"

"Doojoon!"

Now Junhyung was really confused. He just knew this guy for less than five minutes and the stranger had yelled at his face.

"I'm sorry, but why-"

"You've been living a good life, huh? You don't think we have never heard you all of these times, do you? Hit-maker, Yong Junhyung, what a rubbish."

Junhyung could feel the top of his head started to boil. What was wrong with this guy, really? He was about to take a step forward when Doctor Kim suddenly came in between the two young men.

"Look, you two, let's sit, first, okay? Doojoon, stop. I've told you what has happened to Junhyung. You are being delusional right now. He didn't know-"

"What's the matter that I don't know, ahjussi?"

"YOU-"

Doctor Kim pushed Doojoon down to the sofa. The agitated guy wanted to stand up, but was stopped by his uncle's stern look. He had promised to behave, but seriously, four years were not enough to let go the acts that the guy called Yong Junhyung had done.

 

In the end, the three male had tea.

Junhyung initially offered to serve the tea, but he failed to find the tea bags. After several minutes, Doctor Kim stepped in to help. He could see irritation in his patient's eyes. He knew what the young man must have gone through. He asked him to go back to the living room while he searched every kitchen cabinet. He was actually quite surprised to find the tea bags in the fridge instead.

The three men sipped in their tea in silence.

Junhyung glanced at the guy called Yoon Doojoon as he brought the cup to his mouth. He seemed to be in the same age as him. He had a strong gaze and a hard face physique. Something about the stranger scared him. Not in a ghostly way, but in a more oppressive feeling.

"So, Junhyung, you must be wondering the reason of my visit," said Doctor Kim, breaking the silence.

Junhyung put down his cup and nodded.

"I was about to call you actually, ahjussi, but I... I can't find my handphone."

"Has it been happening a lot?"

"Huh?"

"Losing things, forgetting where you originally place them, executing schedules, or perhaps, paying bills too?"

"Bills?"

Doctor Kim gave him an envelope. He quickly took a look at it. It was a last warning from the bank on credit card payment.

"The concierge downstairs also told me to ask you whether someone from the management had come to talk to you or not. It seems that you have some bills to be taken care of, Junhyung."

Junhyung was out of words. The answer to all of them was simply yes, but he couldn't say it from his mouth. He didn't want to admit it. He refuse to be burdened by a new fact that he was getting worse. Again.

"Junhyung, I think it's the time you consider a caretaker...or a senior housing-"

"But I'm not old!"

"I know, but at places like that, there are people who can help you with daily lives and there are also many others who go through what you're having now-"

"I'm n-not..," Junhyung clenched his fists as his voice started to shake, "I'm not...helpless. I can still drive. I can still cook. I- I just need longer time than other people."

"Junhyung-"

"Ahjussi, I've had enough. I... I've lost doing the thing I love the most. I've lost my past. I've lost my identity. I've lost a love too..."

"Love, you said?" The Yoon Doojoon guy suddenly spoke up.

"Please stop now, Doojoon-"

"It's not love if you leave her. It's not love if you give her the biggest happiness in her life then suddenly take it away."

Junhyung was stunned. Could this Yoon Doojoon...? His words were knifelike. It was as if they were talking about the same girl. It was as if Yoon Doojoon knew something more.

"Naeun. Son Naeun. Does that invoke your damn memory?"

 

The mention of the name brought shudder to him. He could feel the soft hair on his hands stood.

That name, the three words, he could never forget. It was one of some that still stayed in his head, or more appropriately, one that he couldn't let go. If his mind was like a blank canvas, she was a streak of red paint that couldn't be erased. Bold and lasting. These were her to Yong Junhyung.

"Junhyung, are you okay?"

"Don't mind him, samcheon."

"Doojoon-"

"You remember her, don't you, Junhyung? Son Naeun. Your first love. Your first girlfriend...and my best friend too."

Junhyung looked up. He searched for any signs of joking in Doojoon's face, he hoped to.

"Yet, you don't remember me. Junhyung, you- AISH! I thought you're... Really, you-ARGH!"

He turned to Doctor Kim, eyes pleading for help. He didn't know exactly what was happening. Who was this guy truly and why did the doctor brought him along? It couldn't be merely because he was the doctor's relative.

But the doctor only stared back at him. He looked worried, yet he did nothing as Yoon Doojoon continued.

"I'm Doojoon! Your freaking childhood friend!" said Doojoon, grabbing Junhyung's collar and shaking the speechless guy, "We were neighbour, we used to bike together, we sang together in competition, we went to the same school from kindergarten to high school, you don't remember any of those?"

"Say something, you jerk. Anything-"

"I'm sorry."

Doojoon gave him a disbelief look. "What?"

"I'm sorry... I... Forget."

The words went out smoothly from Junhyung's mouth. He was shaken, not due to the fact that he had just been attacked by this Yoon Doojoon guy, but because of the past... An important of his past he seemed to have forgotten, it had now caught up with him.

Doctor Kim, being the one who understood how his patient was feeling, grabbed his nephew away from the poor guy. His visit was ended.

"Doojoon, calm yourself down. We should go now, shouldn't keep your aunt and your mom waiting," he said, "Junhyung-ah, take a good rest, okay? Get back to sleep. Drink your medicine if your head hurt again and come to the hospital tomorrow. We should run the check we didn't get to do last time... I'm sorry for interrupting your morning."

With a last pat on the younger male's shoulder, the doctor and his nephew excused themselves, leaving Yong Junhyung alone on the sofa.

Stunned. Shocked. Surprised. Bewildered. Confused, Dazzled.

For long, he had been running, but the apperance of Yoon Doojoon put an end to it.

 


How is Yoon Doojoon? He is one heck of a key holder, isn't he? lols

And I'm introducing a new character too! Yup, I've finally made my choice on the lead female character. Don't you think she fit Yong Junhyung in some ways? I've always thought she's the kind of girl Junhyung will like.