Letting go

I'm Okay - HIATUS

 

What's my name?

"Yong Junhyung"

 

What do you do?

"I produce music."

 

Where do you work?

"Cube Ent..."

 

 

Junhyung didn't bother to recall the rest of his daily morning questions to himself. Soon, the answers did not matter anymore. Yong Junhyung had made up his mind. 

He wondered if this would be the last decision he could ever make in his life.

If it were, then if in later times he still remembered, he'd pity himself. The possibly the last step he took regarding his dreams and passions, was to end them all.

The last few weeks had been hazy. If the past years had been like a dim-lighted room, the last few days he had magically gone through would have been like total darkness. And it hurt him.

He didn't know why he felt sad about this, to be truthful. There was almost no reason to. What? Did his heart feel heavy because he had no idea where his handphone again? Was the reason he kept sighing because he truly didn't know where he put his cola candies?

A possible answer to the questions above was all those money he had to keep spending to buy things that he felt like he had them... but didn't know where they were.

However, lately he had been getting this idea that the dark clouds in him had something to do with the keyboard in his living room. It was now nothing but a box with tuts that produced sounds.

 

It wasn't the keyboard's fault. It didn't lose its function, but the player did. Yong Junhyung had to receive something he had to expected; letting go music.

Another project had come. He had no idea when he was told about this project, but turned out he happened to write "New song needed" on a piece of Post-It and stuck it on the refrigerator. As soon as he spotted that, he knew he had to go to the office soon.

But not to hand in a composition.

He sighed, holding the door handle tightly before pushing it open. As he made his way, he traced the walls full of framed posters carefully. This place is wonderful. There's something about the trophies in the glass cupboard, busy R & D staffs typing on their iMacs, and constantly played pop songs, that made Junhyung happy every morning he has been coming here.

He tried to capture everything, for at least he will still have the memory of how this place looks like even though the next morning he woke up, he would forget again.

Without realizing, he had reached the office room. He put his hand across his chest. It didn't beat rapidly, but it hurt. Sadness enveloped him.

"Oh, Junhyung-ah," greets the man behind the desk who just finished a phone call, "Come in, boy."

He did as he was told.

"I reckon, your coming here is to give me what I asked you yesterday?"

Oh it was yesterday...

"Remember the trainee I told you about?"

No... I don't even know we ever had a conversation beside my composition. 

"I think she's finally ready to debut. And we need a song, a hit one. Something from the genius young producer, Yong Junhyung. She'll be great, I tell you. She has the looks, charm, personality, and been showing progress in all aspects. Oh, and one thing that will enable her to make a big leap, she used to be in Wonder Girls."

I'm lost, I'm really lost...

"Fans might not remember her, it's been years ago, but with a little publication, people will remember and she will directly get all the attention-"

"I can't."

The older man seemed surprised by Junhyung's respond.

"Sorry?"

"I can't- I can't do it, Sajangnim."

"But why? I mean, you're here."

Music has turned plain to my ear. I can't even guess what's the notes just by listening from the melody. I tend to forget which one is major, which one is minor. No inspiration flows in. My head feels empty. I want to fill it, but I don't know how to do so without having severe headache. The last meds don't work, I need to go to the hospital again, but that means this thing is getting worse inside of me.

For a second there he wanted to spill all of them to the CEO, but that was definitely the last thing he'd ever do.

"I think I have finally reached the time when I want a change," he chose to say, "I have been doing music since... I can remember."

Junhyung cringed at the irony of his own words. He wanted to ask the CEO how he ended up in Cube Entertainment as a producer, but he suppressed the will.

"It's time for me to move on."

"You do know that the one you're giving me is not a very good reason, don't you?" The older male didn't look pleased. Actually he looked more like pissed.

"You could have given me an early warning about you quitting, not that I want you to quit, Junhyung. You have so much talent. If you have any dissatisfaction or concern, you can tell me, you know that, right, Junhyung? You've been with me ever since I started this company. You have been like... my own son."

Junhyung was silenced at the CEO's words. Touched was a degradation of how he felt. He was beyond grateful to meet someone like the CEO in his life.

He could only hope he never forgets him.

"I'm sorry, sajangnim. I'm forever thankful for what you have done to me. I wish you all the best for your future works-"

"Yong Junhyung."

"Yes?"

"No need for the word 'sorry'. I understand your decision. Leaving the company doesn't mean you can't come to my house every Friday for dinner, okay? You haven't come for quite a few months now. I thought I was putting too much pressure on you."

The words stunned him. He had no idea they were that close.

 

Junhyung started to think he probably had just ruined a family-like relationship with the CEO.

The blame on this thing inside of him started to build up again. He couldn't help but to wonder again what if he was not like this; what if he was not... sick?

"Yong Junhyung-ssi."

Junhyung quickly stood up for his seat. "I'm here."

"Doctor Kim is ready to see you."

He nodded at the nurse and stepped in. A warm voice soon welcomed him.

"Junhyung-gun!"

He bowed. "Annyeonghasaeyo, ahjussi."

The older man walked to him and grabed his hand for a handshake. The usual Doctor Kim.

"What brings you here?" asked the doctor, "I was surprised when I saw your name on the waiting list."

"Ah, yeah, about that, thank you for moving me up on the list and let me come today."

The doctor shook his head. "No, no, you don't have to thank me. To be truthful, I'm worried. It hasn't yet your time for monthly check-up, has it?"

Junhyung didn't answer. He headed to the seat and sits down, fidgetting with his fingers.

The doctor soon followed. The atmosphere was cold now and even there was only a desk between him and his patient, the doctor felt like the younger man's presence was geting further away.

"I finally lose it, doctor... Music..."

The confession left the doctor speechless and the next sentence coming from the patient just leaves him more out of words.

"Has there been any cure yet?"

"Junhyung-"

"I have been feeling empty a lot these days. I feel like... Lost. Often I find myself daydreaming without I notice. More and more memories are erased from my mind... Doctor, I'm not sure anymore."

"What are you not sure about, Junhyung?"

"Live, to continue living. It has no meaning anymore."

"You mention losing music-"

"I can't compose anymore. I just quit my job."

"Then, let's start by telling me what you have been going through these days. What about the diary that I once asked you to fill in? Or the camera I recommended you?"

Junhyung stayed silent for a while, rummaging his head.

Now this is hard. He just realized how he hadn't been progressing in trying to keep his memories. He hadn't been visiting Namsan Tower, Han River, or the ice cream place. He hadn't been filling the diary. He hadn't been touching the camera he thought he'd use.

In fact, where were those things? The diary, the camera, had he ever bought them?

"I... I... I don't know."

"No diary entries or photos? They're good memory triggers especially at times you feel lost. Then, what about the dog?"

He was silent again. What more had he missed?

"The dog..."

Then they appeared; flashes of her face, the pet shop, her visit, how he pushed her away... and ache.

He soon clutched his head.

"Junhyung, are you okay? Do you have your medicine with you?"

He slowly shook his head while still holding it firmly. The ache was overwhelming. It was as if thousand of nails were knocked into his head. Hs body started to shudder.

He couldn't take this anymore.

"I'll get you a pain relief- Wait, Junhyung!"

He dashed out of the room before the doctor could say another word.

"Ow!"

He bumped into a man on his way out, but he didn't bother to apologize. He needed... air. His breath was short. His sight was blur. He wanted to... escape.

 

"Junhyung!"

"Samchon, what are you doing?" The man that Junhyung bumped into a few seconds ago grabbed the doctor's arm. He was especially surprised seeing his long-time-no-see uncle coming out of the room in panic.

"My patient, did you see him?"

"The one who just rudely walked away? Yeah-"

"You should have stopped him."

The young man squinted in confusion. "And why am I supposed to do that?"

"Junhyung needs help. He's alone and sick-"

"Who?"

"Junhyung-"

"What's his surname?"

The doctor stopped and stared in puzzlement at his visting nephew's sudden emotion change. "Why do you ask about his surname?"

"What's his full name, samchon? I need to know!"

The doctor was getting more puzzled now. Never had his nephew got curious of the patients. They rarely meet because his sister and her son didn't live in the city and only at some occassions they came to visit him, like today; his wife had just given birth.

"His name is Yong Junhyung. Why do you ask, Yoon Doojoon?"

Doojoon gaped. His eyes were widened.

"Yong... Jun.. Hyung...?"

And the next second he ran chasing the runaway patient, leaving Doctor Kim in more confusion.

 


Introducing a supporting character who from now on will play an important role in the story! The one and only actor-dol, Yoon Doojoon!

I really like him in IRIS 2, but the drama is not as good as I expect, so I end up following That Winter The Wind Blows instead of Doojoon's drama.