Can't Let Go

Distant Sunrise

 

.
 
 
 
It's like Tao just got off the plane and now he wants to be back on it again. Two days really isn't enough. But just enough to lift up his spirits.
 
He scrolls through the photo gallery on his phone. There are pictures he had taken with his family and friends. So many smiles in each, including his. 
 
"I miss them already," Tao sighs.
 
The pictures rewind and he's back to him and Kris, both of them smiling together, at the airport terminal just two days ago. Then there's the picture of Kris, his profile, looking out the window. The picture Tao secretly took of the other.
 
He goes back to the picture of them, and he remembers the text Kris sent with it:
 
"Hope to see this smile again when you come back."
 
It was just a simple message, but when Tao saw it he wished he could turn the plane around. Run to the pilot, scream emergency, "May Day, May Day!" Conjure up a rain storm or giant meteor showers. Anything so he could run back to Kris. But he couldn't do any of that. And he felt stupid for just thinking those kinds of things at all.
 
So instead, he fell asleep and slept until the plane landed in Qingdao. At long at last, Tao saw his family at the gate and just ran to them. Smiles, hugs, tears. He was so happy to see them again after so long.
 
Kris became the last thing on his mind.
 
From there it was all about going back to see his home, his family, his old friends, the people around, the food, the places. He missed them all so much.
 
Tao didn't have time to think of Kris.
 
But he'll be lying if he said he didn't think of Kris at all. He did. Just not as little as he thought he would. Maybe he was too busy. Too happy. And thinking of Kris would only bring the opposite.
 
 
 
Arriving back to the dorm it is a mess of hugs, smiles, hand shakes, fit bumps and welcome backs. Pretty much everyone is here, all except Kris.
 
Someone finally asks where he is. Another answers that he went out. Maybe to the convenient store, supermarket. Maybe for coffee. Maybe for a walk. No one was sure.
 
Someone else tries Kris' phone. There's no answer. Said it went to voicemail. Another says he's been out for a while. From there they all start to wonder. But wondering doesn't help.
 
So Tao steps up. "I'll go find him."
 
Everyone looks at him, surprised. And he's surprised at himself too.
 
 
 
Tao finds Kris at a park in a kid's playground sitting on a swing. He contemplates leaving since Kris looks fine. At least safe, not hurt or kidnapped. Or whatever horrible things Tao thought of as he spent the last hour, or what felt more, looking for him. But of course he can't leave.
 
"Hey," he says, walking towards the other.
 
Kris turns his head and looks up. "Hey... you're back."
 
Kris seems surprised for a moment but he recovers to a neutral face and he smiles. 
 
Tao melts a little inside.
 
"Yea." He looks at the ground, digging his sneakers into the sand then tries to look at Kris again.
 
"What are you doing here? We've been trying to call you. We.... I, I..." he stutters. 
 
I was looking for you everywhere, Tao wants to say, but doesn't.
 
Kris stands up, causing the chain links on the swing to clink against each other. He takes out his phone, pressing some buttons
 
"I think I ran out of batteries." He looks back at Tao with this fallen expression on his face. "I'm sorry," he says.
 
And Tao thinks: Why are you sorry? Are you sorry because your phone is dead? Because I was looking for you everywhere, and almost got lost myself? Because you had me making up stories in my head of what might have happened to you, and had me so worried that I was about to fall apart at any minute? 
 
Tao takes a moment and shakes his head. "It doesn't matter. It's fine," he says, looking down at the ground, where the sand has buried his sneakers.
 
"We should to get back before the others get worry." He turns.
 
"Were you worried about me?" Kris asks, his voice deep, yet gentle.
 
Tao's throat is dry. Feels like something is stuck there. And he's actually standing in quicksand. He can't turn around, can't move, or he'll start sinking.
 
Still, he looks back at Kris, and he's caught in the other's eyes. And now he doesn't know what to do.
 
Back in the plane Tao thought what if... What if he really did let Kris go. 
 
Maybe then this aching inside his chest would go away. But then that warm feeling inside when he thinks of Kris, when he sees him, when he hears him, when he feels him, would go away too. He doesn't want to let all that go.
 
Tao's throat tightens. A lump forms there, he tries to swallow it down but it just gets bigger. Things build up inside till it fills up into his eyelids with tears. His lips quiver. His nose stuffs up. He closes his eyes, covers his face, bites down on his lip, and he tries to run.
 
But all of a sudden, he's held back. His back feels very warm. It all feels very warm around him. His arms are immobilized by another pair of long ones wrapped around him. He realizes they're Kris'.
 
Tao tries to catch his breath, but it's hard. It's hard to see too, through wet
blurry eyes.
 
He tries to speak. "W-what are y-"
 
"Shhh... don't say anything," Kris whispers softly in his ear. 
 
Something about the other's hot breath against his ear sends Tao shivering. 
 
"Just let this moment happen," Kris continues, nuzzling into the crook of his neck, hairs tickling him, and Tao gasps slightly.
 
He reaches up, touching Kris' arm, still wrapped around him. He finds the other's hand and grasp it. And Kris squeezes him tighter, closer.
 
Tao doesn't know what is happening. Expect that the sun has just set. The street lights have flicker on. It's getting cold, but he feels warm and secure in Kris' arms. And right now, he just doesn't want to let go of the other, yet.
 
 
 
 
 
_______________________________________________________________________
This last chapter takes place September 2nd, the day Tao returned to Korea from Qingdao.
 
 
 
Author's Note
So it's finally "The End" I don't know if you'd call this a happy ending, but I'll call it a hopeful one. It was really hard for me to decided on what kind of ending to give them, probably because of the uncertainty I've been feeling about TaoRis lately. They're like the most frustrating pair I've ever shipped. They're like a roller coaster ride that sends me up high then plunges me down into the ground the next second. But I guess I have to thank that person that wrote a touching essay about them that drove me to finally finish this last chapter or I might have been stuck for weeks.
 
I know some have asked and wondered about Kris' side of the story, that's why I have thought about writing a sequel in his POV taking place months after where this story leave off. But I'm still in the thinking process. But if you are interested in a sequel please subscribe to this story, and maybe in the near future I'll update with a post about a Kris side-story.
 
But for now enjoy the soundtracks for this story:
[ Distant ] | [ Again ] | [ Beautiful ]
 
 
 
 
 
.