Pouring Rain

Distant Sunrise

 

.
 
 
 
 
 
The rain won't stop pouring. Tao's sneakers are soaked. They squish whenever he takes a step. His pants are wet, so is his shirt. They cling to him in that uncomfortable way when you know you got gum stuck under your shoe and you can't get it off.
 
His skin is moist, so cold he feels his goosebumps getting goosebumps. His hair's a dripping mess. He should had checked the weather. He should had brought an umbrella. He should had brought a jacket. He should had never came out tonight alone.
 
Worst of all, Tao doesn't know where he is. All he knows is stores in this area closes surprisingly early. He has stood at this bus stop for almost an hour. Not one bus has passed by. At least he got shelter. But it's almost curfew.
 
His phone keeps dying on him too. But he tries again.
 
*Ring*
 
*Ring*
 
*Ring*
 
Someone please pick up. Phone please don't die.
 
*Ring*
 
"Hello?" Someone asks on the other end.
 
"Finally!" He jumps and shivers at the same time.
 
"Tao?" That voice. Kris.
 
Why you? Tao thought. Of all the people that could have answered...
 
"Tao?" Kris asks again.
 
"Yes?" Tao answers.
 
"Where are you?"
 
"I... I don't know." Tao feels like a lost child.
 
He hears Kris make a noise like he's frustrated. "Is there a street name somewhere?"
 
Tao looks around. He thinks he sees one. But the rain is getting heavy. It's hard to see. He says the name of the street to Kris, hoping that he read it and pronounce it correctly.
 
"Are there any stores? A park?" Kris asks.
 
Tao looks around again. "I see a park. There's a statue of an angel, I think."
 
"I think I kn-" Kris' voice is cut off.
 
"Kris... Kris.. Kris!" Tao looks down at his phone. "Low battery" it reads and shuts off itself.
 
A lump starts to form in his throat. He tries to choke it down as he wipes the wetness seeping through his eyes. 
 
Tao wishes Kris was here. Even though Kris was the reason he was out here. Or not, actually it's really his own fault for wanting to keep some distance between them. But not like this.
 
 
 
Rain continues to pour. Tao can't feel his toes or fingers. He thinks they've gone numb. He'll probably catch a cold or something worst tomorrow. That is if he makes it till tomorrow.
 
"I found you!" A familiar voice echoes in his ear. 
 
It can't be. Tao looks up. It is.
 
Kris has an umbrella in his hand, a face filled with worry. He quickly pulls a jacket over Tao. Takes him under his umbrella, asking "are you okay?"
 
Tao nods. 'Now that you're here,' Tao wants to say, but won't.
 
"You're an idiot," Kris says.
 
With Kris' arm over Tao's shoulders, they start to walk. 
 
Tao is still wet. Still cold. Still shivering. But he feels just a little warmer, inside. From Kris' jacket. From Kris next to him. From Kris' hand that has left his shoulders to settle upon his waist. Where he wishes it could stay forever. Tao feels safe.
 
 
 
Kris takes Tao into the taxi that he came in. He tells the driver to take them "home". And they start moving.
 
 
 
Tao looks out the window realizing the rain has finally stopped. He looks back and he sees Kris asleep. Body slumped, head leaned back, eyes shut, lips slightly parted, and his palm up, open and rested on the car seat between them.
 
Moving on their own, Tao's fingers trace the lines on Kris' palm until their fingers laced together. He likes how his hand fits in Kris'. He gives Kris' hand a squeeze. The fingers move. Surprised and scared, Tao lets go of the hand, quick. He looks at Kris, who's still asleep. Kris didn't even notice. Tao sighs inwardly, half relieved and half sad.
 
'Since you won't notice.'  Tao rests his head on Kris' shoulder, shuts his eyes and listens to the one beside him breathe. If Kris wakes, Tao would say it was an accident. He'll blame it on sleep. And not because he wanted to be close enough to feel Kris' heart, beating calmly next to his rapidly pounding one.
 
 
 
 
 
______________________________________
Author's Note
There suppose to be two chapters left after this, but I wonder if I should squeeze one more in that takes place the day after this chapter, like Tao actually falls ill, hmm...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
.