Smile for Me

Distant Sunrise

 

.
 
 
 
 
 
They all get to go home today, all except Kris. He said it's okay. His mom would be flying in. But it just isn't quite the same as actually taking a trip back home, Tao thinks.
 
Kris goes with them to the airport. Said his mom's arrival would be around the time of their departure, so he could send them off too.
 
The car ride there was a collection of conversations. Mostly by the two sitting in the back, one heading to Beijing, and another to Changsha. Kris tries to join the conversation, but he gets drown out by their hysterical laughter.
 
Tao doesn't join the conversation. Instead, he stays quiet, looking out the car window. It's cloudy today. It's dark gray, like it's about to rain.
 
"Hope it's not going to rain," says a familiar voice.
 
Tao turns his head and there's Kris beside him. He forgets they almost always sat next to each other in the van. The feeling is different now, though.
 
Kris leans over to view Tao's window even though he already has his own. 
 
Tao shifts close against the side of the car, uncomfortably. He lifts his eyes, catching Kris' smile. On reflex Tao quickly turns away, looking out the window again like there's something better out there. When really he wants to stare at Kris' smile forever. Or take a picture of it so he could take it with him wherever he went. Then, Tao can stare shamelessly at it. While he smiles back without feeling inadequate, which is how he feels when he's with Kris, sometimes.
 
Tao looks back at Kris, but he's already looked away.
 
 
 
At the terminal Tao sits in front of the large windows overlooking the planes and their runways. But he doesn't look at that. He looks at Kris.
 
He watches Kris stand there by the windows, looking off to some place, who occasionally looks at his phone. Kris is unaware that he's watching, unaware he's holding up his phone, pretending to take a picture of himself, when really he's aiming at Kris.
 
The shutter goes off the same time Kris turns and looks his way, offering him a smile, again. Again, Tao couldn't return it.
 
He looks down at his phone and the image he caught of Kris, with his perfect profile, just before he turned.
 
The seat beside him creaks, and it's Kris. Tao almost drops his phone, hoping the other didn't see anything.
 
"Let's take a picture together," Kris says.
 
Before he knew it, Kris' arm is wrapped around his shoulder, pulling him in, and Kris lifts up his own phone. Tao sees them in the screen. Their cheeks almost touching, and there's this warm feeling between them.
 
"Smile," Kris says.
 
Automatically, Tao does, for some reason. This makes him think of the times when he always use to make Kris take pictures with him. Now it's it the other way around, it's a little awkward. He doesn't dislike it, though.
 
 
 
Kris receives a call. Said his mom has arrived so he has to go. He waves to everyone, wishing them all a good trip, before going through and disappearing into the large crowds scattered through the airport.
 
For a few moments Tao was hoping Kris would turn back, at least once. Like in those movies and dramas with the emotional farewells.
 
It doesn't happen, though. But, at least there's no tears.
 
 
 
On the plane, Tao sits by the window. He never liked sitting by the window, makes him feel trapped. Kris knew that too, so he'd always let him have the aisle seat when they sat together on the plane. But Kris isn't here, is he...
 
 
 
It's going to be a long trip. 
 
After all the passengers were given their blankets and pillows the lights are turned dim throughout the plane. They're reminded by the flight attendants to turn off all phones and devices. So, Tao checks his phone again, and notices a new message... from Kris.
 
"Hope to see this smile again when you come back," it says.
 
There's a picture of them both smiling together back in the terminal just a few hours ago.
 
'I want to come back already,' Tao thought right then.
 
 
 
 
 
___________________________________________________________________________
Based around the end of August 2012 when EXO-M boys got to go back home, except Kris.
 
... and after this, 1 or 2 more chapters left...?
 
... plus, YAY! This story has finally reached more than 100 subbies. I thankie you all so muchies. *throwing everyone cookies*
 
 
 
 
 
.