The Confrontation

Shattered Trust - Was It Even Whole To Start With?

 

Mianhae for taking so long to upload after returning from the holiday but I've had so much hwk to do before starting next year and I got my GCSE results back yesterday! Anyway, enough about that, i hope you enjoy this next chapter! ^_^

 

 

Trying to keep a stoic face, Jonghyun's hands came up shakily to take the picture frame from his angry Hyung, and let his eyes roam over it; taking it in as if trying to soak up the memory and remember how happy and content he was then. He thought about what had become of them; what their relationship had turned into, and found himself resisting the urge to cough at the lump that appeared in his throat. His fingers came up to trace the jawline of the smiling Key in the photo as his eyes started to glisten, while he gazed affectionately at it. Then his hand balled into a fist resting on top of the glass cover and his teeth clenched together.

 

“Where is Key?” He asked, his voice hard as his eyes stayed glued to the photograph in his hands. Onew's chin raised and he squinted his eyes as he was suspicious of his sudden change and was deciding whether or not to become defensive against him.

“He's at Taemin's.” He said steadily. Jonghyun finally took his eyes from the photograph, lowering it to his side but not parting from it. Suddenly, a look of determination filled his features and he started for the door. Before he could get more than three paces, he found his path blocked by his frog-like dongsaeng. The Dino's eyes flashed with anger and a small snarl threatened to form at his mouth.

 

“Move.” He ordered. His voice was like ice but Minho did not budge, instead he seemed to raise his head and puff out his chest to silently convey his refusal to let him past. This time Jonghyun's hand came up to shove his shoulder. “I said get out of my way!” But before he could even move another foot, he found his arms pinned to his sides as Onew had come up behind him and wrapped his arms around him to keep him rooted to his spot. Immediately Jonghyun began to struggle against his cage and a vicious sound came from between his contorted lips. “Get off me! Do not try to stop me.” He roared, seemingly having lost all self-control as he twisted and fought the the hold his Hyung had on him, yet he could not shift his grip.

 

“Jonghyun. Stop.” Onew ordered strongly after a moment of letting him struggle. His voice was firm and demanded to be followed. Instinctively, Jonghyun found himself stilling as the fog that had clouded his mind cleared a little, leaving only a crushing guilt in it's wake. He slumped in Onew's arms, the fight draining out of him.

“I have to get to him.” He keened with longing and desperation, guilt and sadness dripping from every syllable.

“Not like this.” Onew said more calmly, yet still firmly. “Look at yourself, Jonghyun. You are far too erratic right now. You MUST calm yourself.”

 

 

 

Jonghyun let out a loud sigh and nodded heavily. Onew looked into his face and slowly released him, letting him sink into the armchair to his right. He put his head in his hands and let out a throaty groan in a futile attempt to release all his mixed up and pent in emotions.

“This can't be happening...” He mumbled through his hands. After a moment of just sitting there, he lifted his head, rested his forearms on his thighs and clasped his hands in front of him, raising his eyes to the others. “I'm sorry.” He said much more calmly, but his voice was still thick with emotion. Minho nodded his head to signal he accepted the apology but his expression remained hard. Onew offered him a small half smile, that didn't quite reach his eyes and said,

 

“I know you are. But right now, Key needs rest. He's been through a lot. If you go charging in right now when you aren't in full control of yourself, you could wind up doing so much more damage than you have already done.” Jonghyun nodded again at his undeniable logic and was suddenly on his feet.

“Well, since I can't see Key. I think I need to have a bit of a conversation with Jinju, if that's ok with you.” He said, the venom reappearing in his tone as quickly as it had first dissipated and he barely avoided spitting his words. Finally Minho spoke again,

“Hyung, are you sure that's wise? It won't change anything, you know.” He said, still without feeling, taking a step forwards towards him. Jonghyun gave a curt nod.

“Maybe not, but I need to hear what she'll say. I have to understand.”

 

 

 

Onew considered his words for a moment before nodding his approval, his expression unchanging from his firm composure.

“Arasso. So how do you want to go about this?”

“Well she did tell me to call her after we were done talking. I could always arrange to go to hers, or ask her to come back here?”

“Hmm, well which would you prefer? You might feel more in control here, but...”

“No, I'll go to hers. I don't want that woman in our home ever again.” The other two seemed to be in support of his choice even if they did remain somewhat distant from him after what he had done. “But umm...” Jonghyun started to ask, hesitantly, “Would you guys come with me? I don't think I trust myself to do it on my own.” He fiddled with his fingers as he cast his eyes down at them, unsure if his friends would be willing to help him anymore.

“I have to get back to Taemin.” Minho said truthfully, his tone blunt, while Onew couldn't help the slight pang of sympathy he felt for his oldest dongsaeng at seeing him so vulnerable, reminding himself that although having wronged his boyfriend terribly, he was just as much a victim in this circumstance as he.

“I'll come.” he answered, causing Jonghyun to offer a tentative but grateful smile back at his Hyung.

 

 

 

Quickly, Jonghyun pulled out his phone and scrolled down his contacts to where Jinju's number had only recently been added and pressed it. It rang out four times before she picked it up.

“Yeoboseyo?” Her sickly-sweet voice was heard from the other end of the line. Jonghyun visibly bristled and the hand that wasn't holding the phone instinctively balled into a tight fist in anger. He managed to calm himself enough to answer in a strained voice,

“Jinju.”

“Oppa, are you alright?” She asked when she heard his tone. Jonghyun coughed a little and tried to control his voice as he replied,

“Neh, I'm ok. Just had a bit of an argument with the others.” Jinju sighed in a sympathetic way,

“Omo, Oppa. What about?”

“I'd rather not talk about it over the phone.”

“Oh Oppa, it's ok. Do you want to come round to talk? You know I'll always be there for you.” Her voice made the three men want to cringe but Jonghyun managed to mask it long enough to say,

“Thanks, Jinju. I'll be round soon.”

“Arasso Oppa. Annyeong!” And he disconnected the call.

 

Once the call was over with, Jonghyun went to fetch his coat and car keys while the others waited for him by the door. When he had collected his things the three of them left the house and made their way to the cars parked outside. Once Jonghyun closed the front door behind him and turned back around, he found once again that he was face to face with Minho, who was blocking his way and coming quite far into his personal space and yet never touching him.

"Honestly Hyung, I'm still pretty pissed with you, and I'm sure you realise that this is far from over. You have hurt Key in ways you can hardly understand and you have a lot of making up to do when it comes to that, when Key is finally ready to see you. And you have upset Taemin immensely as well, both of which acts I find very hard to forgive, but I hope you sort this thing out Hyung. Then maybe, you can start to fix the damage you've done." Minho's voice was an intimidating mixture of both anger verging on violence, and deadly matter-of-fact calm. It made Jonghyun want to shiver but he knew that his dongsaeng was completely justified and everything he spoke of was true. He only prayed that one day his friends might forgive him, even if Key never could.

 

After his mini speech, Minho backed away from Jonghyun and headed over to his car. "Call me if something happens" Minho requested back at both the others and after receiving a confirming nod from both his Hyungs he offered Onew a curt nod, a silent message passing between them, and shot a last warning glance at Jonghyun before getting into his car and driving off back to his boyfriend's house. When his car had left the driveway and departed down the road, Onew and Jonghyun shared a glance with each other before getting into Jonghyun's own car and closing the doors. Once again Onew looked over to his dongsaeng with a slightly more caring expression than he had previously worn back in the house.

 

"You don't have to do this, you know." Jonghyun stared down at the wheel in front of him, his shoulders hunched as if they carried the weight of the world. His face had become twisted with sadness and guilt.

"I just need to understand. I need to know how this could happen to us, and why." He said as he finally lifted his eyes to glance sideways at his friend. Onew gave a little sad smile at his answer.

"Well lets go then." Jonghyun took a heavy breath and started the car, before driving off to her house as he had done only yesterday and yet this time a terrible feeling of guilty sat embedded in his heart.

 

 

 

Jonghyun's car pulled up outside the large house but this time there was no valet to come and park his car for him, he did not walk to the passenger side and open the door for his boyfriend; instead he watched as Onew pushed his door open, closed it and looked towards him as he waited for him to snap out of his guilty reverie. Finally when he came back to his senses he shook his head and he offered Onew a weak smile before they started to walk swiftly towards the front door. Once they reached the front step, just before Jonghyun could raise his hand to press the doorbell, Onew placed his hand on his shoulder, stilling him.

 

"Are you sure you want me here?" Onew asked in a voice that clarified that he asked out of genuine care and concern, he could not help himself as his naturally gentle nature instinctively kicked in as he looked to Jonghyun's troubled face. Jonghyun seemed to consider for a moment before making a small nod.

"I need you here, for … moral support"

"Arasso." Onew answered simply and watched as Jonghyun raised his hand and pushed his finger onto the doorbell, which emitted a buzzing sound outside the building.

 

It wasn't long before the door was pulled open from the inside and there stood Jinju herself, a sweet smile plastered on her face as she waited to greet Jonghyun. However, as soon as her eyes fell on Onew beside him something flashed in her eyes but she was able to keep her smile where it was, even if it did seem to fade slightly.

“Jonghyun.” she cried in fake innocent surprise. “I didn't know your friend was coming. Was there something specific you needed?” she asked, looking up at the two men with angelic eyes. Jonghyun resisted the urge to grind his teeth together.

“Short notice decision. I'd like to talk with you about a few things, and I would prefer it if my Hyung would stay.” At this Jinju's smile visibly dropped a little and something in her eyes seemed to reflect a kind of panic but she quickly blinked it away and held the door further open.

“Well come in then. We can get more comfortable in the living room.” She offered hospitably, and led the two men through to the room Jonghyun and she had been talking in, only the day previously. There was a relaxed and warm atmosphere to the room and there was luxurious but comfy furniture placed around it. Jinju gestured for them to take a seat to which both replied by each taking an armchair, leaving her to position herself rather awkwardly alone on the large brown leather couch. Both men saw how much straighter she sat, now that Onew was also here and though she tried to hide it, it was clear that she was on her guard.

 

 

There was a pause in which none of them spoke a word. Onew's hands were clasped calmly in his lap; his expression unreadable, Jonghyun's fists were resting motionless on his thighs and Jinju started to fidget her hand in the ends of her long hair. After another moment, her lips parted and she took in a long breath to break the silence and just as she was about to voice something, Jonghyun spoke quickly and sharply,

“Onew and Minho had a lot to tell me after you left.” his voice was needlelike but there was no clear emotion there as he tried his hardest to contain his feelings that threatened to bubble over.

 

Jinju looked into his face as if trying to decipher where she stood and what was her next best move. She her lips, a nervous give away, and gave a smile that didn't reach her eyes.

“Oh?” she asked quietly in a high-pitched voice.

“They've told me a great deal about you and what you've been getting up to with my boyfriend and his best friend.”

“And what exactly did they say?” She asked in an almost care free voice, clearly trying to disguise any misgivings she felt as she gazed over to Onew a little sharper than she originally thought to with Jonghyun still in the room.

 

 

 

After a moment of silence in which Jonghyun did not speak, her eyes returned to him and she looked deeply into his eyes, something in his seemed to unharden. They did not soften in affection, but rather in sadness, yet not enough to suggest any sympathy or pity directed towards her.

“You know what.” He voiced simply, his tone hushed now. Instinctively her hand clenched and flexed, she brought her other hand to cover it and make as if she were massaging it, in an attempt to cover her expression of her building anger, hoping it went unnoticed. It did not, and yet neither of the men commented on it.

 

“Have I ever given you reason to doubt me?” She asked now, trying to avoid what had just been said, but she was aware of a cage closing in around her.

“No. But then we haven't really known each other for a long time, and I've trusted my friends a great time longer than you.”

“Oppa, I'm not even sure what you're talking about. If this is about those texts, then you know I came across Key Oppa's phone when he left it here after shopping last week. You know that. If you want to talk some more about that, that's fine. I'm here to help you Oppa. But there is no reason to be mad at me after I've only tried to help. Oppa, I don't understand.” She said, her eyes turning innocently pleading and she started to stretch her arms out towards him in a gesture of friendship and help. Jonghyun couldn't take it anymore.

“Enough. Stop the act. I know what you are really like now Jinju, and all the acting in the world won't change that.” His voice hard and determined.

 

 

 

“Fine.” She said but her voice sounded different from before, it had a sharp edge to it and the pitch had lowered. Then suddenly everything seemed to change in her countenance. The innocent look in her eyes vanished instantly, her features relaxed from the puzzled and hurt expression into a superior kind of smirk, and she shifted back on the sofa, pulling her legs onto the other half and lying in a very suggestive yet comfortable position. Overall she looked entirely different from a moment before, her whole being seemed to exude this seductive confidence that was awing yet terrible to see. The change in her came about so suddenly that Jonghyun was left looking rather shocked at just how easy it was for her to slip in and out of a deception of character. Even Onew, who knew well what she was really like from previous discussions and from their last encounter, was surprised at just how fluid her acting seemed to be and how easily she could deceive those she wished to.

 

“Well, I guess you finally figured it out. Must say, I was waiting for it. I knew it had to happen at some point, what with all your meddling friends” She said, her voice now had a sort of sensual drawl to it, pulling out her vowels and holding on her 's's like a snake would. After a moment of mesmerised shock, Jonghyun snapped back to reality and this time his disgust was evident on his face.

“Why did you do this.” He asked, practically spitting his words at her. She cocked her head elegantly to him and arched an eyebrow.

“Why? Isn't that obvious?... I wanted you. I wanted you to be mine but I knew that couldn't happen while that thing was in the way so I had to think of a way to get rid of him.” She said it as if it were nothing, as if she wasn't talking about breaking apart a beautiful and love-filled relationship, as if Key wasn't even a person. She made it sound so easy and simple but this only seemed to shake Jonghyun even worse when he realised how easy it had been for her to split them up. How easily he had allowed something like that to happen to them. Instantly, Jonghyun was on his feet, towering over her, although she seemed unfazed by the action.

“He isn't a thing, he is more precious an more loving than you could ever be. I love him and I will fix what you have done.” Jinju scoffed,

“Do you think he would really take you back after what you told me you did to him? Even I couldn't have planned something that extreme to happen! I'd be surprised if he even wanted to see your face ever again after that!” she said with a horrible laugh, taunting him. Once again, he found the memory of how he had exploded in front of his boyfriend and how he treated him... how he struck him, swimming before his eyes and filling him once again with a terrible guilt and grief.

 

“You'll never get him back. If I can't have you, then neither can he.” She finished and a triumphant look filled her features. Jonghyun sneered at her and his eyes flashed.

“I will get him back, just you see. You will pay for this. Mark me, you will. And if what you have done will not be fixed then I swear on my life, you'll wish you were never born.” His voice was filled with a deadly calm and ice-cold tone. It was the vocal equivalent of being thrown into freezing icy water. Jinju looked up to him to once more meet his eyes, to mock his remark, but as soon as she met his eyes, the words died in and her whole body froze, for a moment it seemed like she didn't even breathe. His expression was a terrifying mix of pure anger and hate, he looked so livid that even Jinju did not want to cross him. She knew when the best time for smart remarks was, and that was not it. She was painfully aware of his hands that, although shaking, looked very strong and were uncomfortably close to .

 

He bent over her even more, so the whole top half of her body was covered by his shadow and his mouth came closer to her ear. Instinctively she began to slouch and close in on herself for protection, losing her confident and very arrogant air.“You are going to stay away from us now, you are never to contact me or Key, of even Seyun for that matter. She never wants to hear from you again. If I find out you are doing anything like this again, I will have you arrested, at the very least.” he whispered threateningly and Jinju held her tongue. Jonghyun straightened up and with one last disgusted sneer at her, looked over to his Hyung who had also stood up, and was waiting silently and patiently for Jonghyun to finish. “Let's go.” he said simply. Onew nodded and followed his dongsaeng out of the room, without sparing a glance back.

 

 


I hope you enjoying this update. I would like once again thank all my supporters, subscribers and especially my commentors. It's so much easier and more enjoyable to write when you get feed back so if you can spare a minute to leave some, it would be much appreciated. I want to say Kamsahamnida especially to iluvbubbles_yayOmgiluvelvinshawol1205SteampunkInformantsSHINeexxxXD and AnaNeo subscribing since the last update. I will update as soon as I can! Please feel free to subscribe if you are a new reader and as I have said comments are much appreciated! <3 

Ppyong,

BabyLocket Xx