Chapter 9

How They Met

The next day Wufan was woken up by loud knocking on his front door. He checked his phone and quickly jumped out of bed and scampered to the front of his apartment.

Yixing stood in the doorway, clad in paint-splattered overalls holding an armful of paint supplies, with his eyebrows raised. He looked like he walked straight off of a clichéd movie set.

Wufan grinned sheepishly as he let his neighbor in.

“I knew you’d forget and wake up late.”

Wufan sighed in response as he walked back to his room to get ready to paint. After brushing his teeth and washing his face, Wufan slipped into an old pair of sweatpants and a large black shirt.

When he walked back out, he saw Yixing laying out large plastic sheets. He walked over to help the struggling Yixing put a large sheet over the couch.

When they finished covering everything in the den, Wufan looked at Yixing, expecting him to have more sheets to cover everything else in the apartment.

Yixing smiled sheepishly, “I don’t have enough sheets so we’ll have to move them when we’re done.”

Wufan chuckled as he knelt down to open a can of paint. Yixing passed him a large paint brush and they began painting the walls in a comfortable silence.

That silence was broken a few minutes later when Yixing asked Wufan about his job as a bodyguard.

Their conversations flowed freely, topics ranging from favorite foods to pet peeves, and soon the entire room was painted. They quickly pulled up the plastic covers and walked into the dining room, throwing the plastic sheets over the large table as well as the chairs.

Instead of the burnt orange that was used in the living room, Yixing cracked open a can of the sienna color and dipped his brush in. Wufan followed his lead and they each began on opposite sides of the room, making their way to the back wall.

As he painted, Yixing hummed to himself as he painted extra layers over the wall. Wufan would never admit it but he was enjoying his own little radio. Yixing would hum popular songs, old songs that Wufan’s parents would have enjoyed, and some random melodies that Wufan couldn’t identify.

Wufan was finishing up his wall when he heard Yixing huff. He turned around to see Yixing glaring towards the ceiling. At the top of the wall, near the ceiling, was a large white spot that Yixing’s paintbrush just couldn’t reach.

Wufan bit back his chuckles as he made his way over to the unpainted spot.

Only to get whacked on the back with a paintbrush.

“Don’t you touch it!”

Wufan was too shocked to respond as Yixing waved the paintbrush in his face and tsk’ed at him.

Wufan watched, his mouth still hanging open, as Yixing scurried back into the living room and grabbed the long roller brush. He finally closed his mouth when Yixing snapped a new roller sponge onto the long tool.

Yixing beamed at the roller brush once he finished switching on the new sponge and walked back into the dining room, happily dipping his clean brush into the can of paint.

Wufan finally managed to snap out of his shocked state and huffed before walking back over to his side of the room to finish painting the wall.

Yixing continued humming as he started on his half of the back wall.

They finished painting in no time so Yixing offered to cook.

Wufan shook his head, “Let’s just order something. You shouldn’t cook every time you come over here.”

Yixing shrugged, “It’s up to you. Your house.”

Wufan rolled his eyes as Yixing settled into the couch in the living room, grinning at him.

Yixing continued grinning as Wufan stood up to grab his phone so he could order a pizza.

“Yes hi. I’d like to order a large.. what kind of pizza do you want?”

Yixing shrugged again, “I eat everything.”

Wufan rolled his eyes again, “I’d like to order a large pizza with everything on it. You deliver right? Ok good, I’d like that pizza with a 2 liter bottle of-“

“I have drinks at my place! You don’t need to waste any more money!”

Wufan rolled his eyes a third time as he walked away from an eavesdropping Yixing.

Yixing beamed as he watched Wufan walk into his kitchen. He picked up the remaining can of sienna and walked into the kitchen to set the can on the floor in front of the stove.

Yixing beamed at a scowling Wufan before walking back out of the kitchen to the bathroom.

Wufan watched Yixing walk back out of the kitchen before quickly confirming his address and total.

When Yixing walked back out of the bathroom, he saw Wufan sitting in the living room, resting his head on the back of the couch with his eyes closed.

Yixing plopped down next to Wufan, frowning when Wufan didn’t flinch as expected.

Wufan opened his eyes and turned his head to glance at Yixing before going back to facing the ceiling with his eyes closed.

Yixing furrowed his eyebrows; Wufan had better not been ignoring him.

Wufan wasn’t prepared for Yixing’s poke attack. He yelped, a very manly yelp, and jumped off the couch, turning to glare at a laughing Yixing.

Yixing was able to calm his laughing down to soft chuckles as he watched Wufan playfully narrow his eyes at him.

Wufan ‘hmmph’ed’ and plopped down on the loveseat, holding his nose in the air.

For a brief moment, Yixing thought about tackling him but he decided against it since they weren’t that close….yet.

It wasn’t long before Yixing grew bored. He looked at Wufan, who was texting someone, then he looked at the kitchen.

Shrugging, Yixing stood up and walked into the kitchen to paint it before the pizza arrived.

Wufan, who had received a text from one of his bosses, was oblivious as Yixing put blue tape around the edges of the cabinets and counters so he wouldn’t get paint anywhere unnecessary.

Wufan was still oblivious as Yixing dunked his paint brush into the can of paint and began painting the large wall opposite the kitchen entry way.

Yixing worked quickly, occasionally throwing glances over his shoulder to make sure Wufan hadn’t noticed.

Thankfully, Wufan was completely engrossed in a phone conversation and was facing away from the kitchen, talking in quiet murmurs.

When Wufan ended the conversation he tossed his phone onto the loveseat beside him and turned around to look at Yixing only to find that half of the back wall in the kitchen had already been painted.

Wufan jumped up and hurried into the kitchen, “What are you doing?! Why didn’t you tell me you started painting, I would have helped you!”

Yixing shrugged as he continued painting, refusing to turn around and look at Wufan.

Wufan huffed as he grabbed his own paintbrush and dipped it into the can. He began painting the wall that house the stove.

“You put the tape up and everything!”

Yixing hummed his confirmation as he continued painting, the brush sliding smoothly over the wall.

They painted in silence, Yixing mostly done with his wall with Wufan still sulking about Yixing not telling him what he was doing.

There was a knock on the door and Yixing dropped his paint brush into the can of paint as he ran to pay the pizza man.

Wufan hurried after him, trying to prevent him from pulling out his wallet. Wufan grabbed Yixing’s shirt and pulled him backwards. Yixing tripped Wufan as he tried to rush past to get to the door.

Yixing quickly pulled his wallet out as Wufan shoved him to the side to open the door.

The pizza deliverer stood in the doorway with wide eyes, not sure what those bumps were or why the 2 men seemed to be out of breath. He held his arms out, offering the pizza to Wufan, who took it.

“That’ll be 124 yuan please.”

Yixing hurriedly shoved the bills under Wufan’s outstretched arm, shoving the money into the deliverer’s hands.

Wufan tried to protest but was cut off as Yixing thanked the man and pushed Wufan aside to close the door.

Yixing grinned as Wufan stomped into the kitchen. Wufan decided that he didn’t want to eat in the kitchen since it smelled strongly of paint so he spun on his heel and headed back into the living room, walking past and completely ignoring a confused Yixing.

Yixing watched Wufan plop down on the couch and set the pizza box on the coffee table. When Wufan looked up at him, Yixing grinned.

“What are we going to drink Yixing?”

Oh. Right. Yixing made all that fuss about not wasting money on drinks but he never actually went to get them from his apartment.

Yixing sheepishly grinned as he walked to the door, heading for his apartment. He wasn’t expecting one of the throw pillows from the couch to come flying at his head.

He turned around and glared at a suspiciously innocent Wufan, who had opened the pizza box and was reaching for a slice.

Wufan looked up, locking eyes with Yixing.

Yixing scoffed as Wufan’s eyes widened and he tried to blink as innocently as possible. Wufan smirked when Yixing turned back around to leave.

Yixing quickly walked down the hall to the stairwell, deciding to not waste 5 minutes waiting for the slow elevator. He hopped right over the railing, bypassing the steps, landing on the stairwell leading down to the 13th floor.

He opened the door and ran to his apartment, shoving the key in the lock and rushing to his kitchen. When he got to his refrigerator, he quickly reached in and grabbed 2 cans of sprite.

He pulled them out and looked at them.

Yixing froze for a split second before he smirked.

Shaking the can in his right hand, Yixing walked back out of his apartment to the stairwell. He shook the can all the way back to Wufan’s apartment.

Wufan opened the door when he heard the soft knock, smiling at a frowning Yixing.

Yixing walked to the couch while Wufan went into the kitchen to take the pizza box out of the oven.

“Took you long enough. I had to warm up the pizza while waiting for you!”

Yixing rolled his eyes, “Well, be thankful I didn’t take the elevator or you would’ve had to warm it up even more.”

Wufan didn’t have a response for that. Everyone in their apartment building knew the elevator was on its way to breaking down.  

He sat the pizza box down on the coffee table and handed Yixing a plate.

Yixing quietly took 2 slices of pizza out of the box and put them on the plate, sitting back against the arm of the couch to face Wufan. He scooted back discreetly so he wouldn’t be hit when Wufan opened his can of sprite.

Wufan also took 2 slices out of the box, setting them on his plate before grabbing his soda and glancing at a chewing Yixing out of the corner of his eye.

Yixing held the slice of pizza in front of his face to hide the huge smirk he couldn’t seem to get rid of.

Wufan set the can down.

Yixing frowned.

Wufan took a bite of pizza.

Yixing internally huffed.

Wufan picked the can back up.

Yixing smiled.

Wufan made to open the can.

Yixing smirked.

Wufan opened the can.

The can erupted.

Wufan jumped up, still holding the exploding can. He glared at Yixing, who was howling and laughing at the opposite end of the couch.

Yixing continued to laugh hysterically as Wufan ran into the kitchen and threw the still spraying soda can into the sink.

Wufan glared at Yixing as he pulled his shirt over his head, also tossing the soaked piece of clothing into the sink.

Yixing’s face was turning red. Wufan’s face was priceless as he got sprayed right in the face.

Wufan ran back into the living room, hopping over the arm of the couch and grabbing Yixing’s can of sprite, before pouring it all over Yixing.

Yixing spluttered as he tried to block the can and use his legs to kick Wufan back.

Wufan used his right arm to wrap around Yixing’s legs and hold them still while his left hand continued to empty the can over Yixing’s head.

Once the can was empty, Wufan placed it back on the coffee table and scooted backwards to grin at Yixing.

Yixing wiped his eyes before opening them to glare at the happy Wufan.

Wufan opened his mouth- probably to taunt Yixing- but was cut off when Yixing launched himself at him.

Yixing managed to knock Wufan backwards, straddling his waist and wrapping his arms around Wufan to hug him as close as possible.

Wufan groaned as he felt the sticky liquid drip onto his exposed chest. Yixing practically laid on top of Wufan and shook his head like a dog, managing to get more soda all over Wufan’s face.

Both men were laughing as they playfully fought for dominance, Wufan trying to grab at Yixing’s shoulders and Yixing trying to rub his soaked hair into Wufan’s face.

They continued their play fight until they rolled right off the couch.

Yixing would never admit to squealing when he fell. Wufan would also deny squeaking when his back hit the floor.

They lay there, Wufan laying on his back, Yixing straddling Wufan.

If it were a cliché movie, Yixing would have leaned down and kissed Wufan.

Wufan quickly brought his legs up and kicked Yixing off of him, sending him sprawling on his back at Wufan’s head.

Wufan sat up, panting, “Thanks for that. My couch is ruined by the way.”

Yixing also sat up, “Sprite comes out easily. I’ll help you clean your couch.”

Wufan shook his head as he stood up and stretched. He pretended to not see Yixing eyeing his back like a predator.

Yixing watched Wufan walk to the back of his apartment, probably heading to his bathroom to take a shower.

Wufan called over his shoulder and the still staring Yixing, “You can use the guest bathroom if you’d like.”

Yixing shook his dirty thoughts out of his head before standing up as well, “Nah, I think I’ll just go back to my place.”

Wufan continued walking to his room, “See ya!”

Yixing rolled his eyes. Wufan probably thought he was so cool.

Shaking his head again, Yixing walked out of Wufan’s apartment, smirking when he realized he left the mess for Wufan to clean up.

Wufan turned the shower on, before pulling his pants and boxers down and kicking them off.

He checked himself out in the bathroom mirror while waiting for the shower to warm up, flexing and posing randomly.

When there was enough steam in the bathroom to tell the water was nice and scalding, Wufan slipped in, hissing when the burning hot water hit his chest. He quickly reached out and adjusted the knob by a quarter of an inch.

 

Yixing slipped into his apartment and quickly made his way up to his bathroom, stripping on the way up the stairs and tossing his clothes into the hamper in the utility room on the way to his room.

He strolled into the bathroom and turned the shower on, peeing while he waited for the water to heat up.

When he finished peeing, he wiped himself before hopping into the shower, sighing when the water washed over him, erasing the nasty stickiness that came with soda fights.

Yixing grabbed the soap and loofa and got to work scrubbing all the dried sticky soda from his body.

 

Both men quickly showered and cleaned themselves, chuckling randomly when they thought of their little fight.

 

When Yixing stepped out of the shower, he heard his phone let off an alarm. He dried himself off as he walked into his bedroom to snatch his phone off the bed.

He had an email.

Check your computer.

Yixing quickly slid on a pair of boxers as well as loose sweatpants before heading downstairs to his office.

He plopped down in his rolling chair, relaxing back into it as he used his big toe to turn on the computer.

The computer whirred to life and Yixing smiled proudly as all 3 screens began flashing.

Once the computer was fully loaded, Yixing began touching the screens, tapping icons and sliding windows and tabs from side to side.

In 2 seconds, Yixing opened a new file that had just recently downloaded onto his computer.

It was a mission’s information. Yixing had to go on a mission tomorrow.

His first thought was about helping Wufan decorate his apartment.