Chapter 8

How They Met

Wufan woke up early the next morning, secretly happy to get to hang out with Yixing again. He quickly jumped in the shower and got ready for the day, wondering what kind of furniture Yixing had in storage.

He finished getting dressed and ran walked to the elevator, foot tapping impatiently while he waited.

Once he stood in front of Yixing’s front door, Wufan took a few deep breaths, trying to calm himself. It’s not even like they were going out on a date, they were just going to get furniture, why was he so nervous?!

The door opened as Wufan breathed in and a head of dark brown hair smacked into his chest, sending him backwards.

Luckily, neither of them fell but they both stumbled back and stared at the other with wide eyes.            

“Uh hey Wufan.”

Wufan smiled, “Sorry about that, I was just about to knock.”

Yixing nodded slowly, as if he knew Wufan had been standing there for 5 minutes instead of 1. He grabbed something from a side table and closed the front door behind him.

“Well, let’s go then!”

They made their way down and out of the building, this time in the opposite direction of where they went the previous day. They walked closer together this time, but didn’t mention it aloud even though that fact made them both smile brighter.

 

The 2 men visited a few more furniture shops, this time only focusing on little things like lamps and desks. They continued arguing about payments, alternating between Yixing sulking while Wufan got the delivery information straight and Wufan angrily tapping his feet while Yixing happily passed the delivery forms his way for him to sign.

After a few hours, Yixing hailed a taxi and they headed to his storage space.

Wufan was impressed by the amount of stuff Yixing had. The storage space was easily half the size of Wufan’s apartment and it seemed packed from wall to wall with pieces of furniture. Wufan was contemplating giving up and using all the furniture if it meant he wouldn’t have to stay for hours just to go through it all.

Yixing had other plans though, he stood next to Wufan and began pointing at furniture sets.

“You see that dark red 3 piece set right there? That’s going to go in your tv room. And that desk over there will go in your office. Oh oh oh! And that leather couch will go in your office too! And those-“

Wufan tuned him out, having had enough of the decoration plans. His brain wasn’t imagining this stuff fast enough so he gave up trying to envision Yixing’s plans. He absentmindedly nodded and hummed whenever Yixing paused and looked at him.

They made their way as far into the large space as possible, Yixing still rambling and pointing with Wufan giving an occasional grunt and nod.

 

They finished an hour and 45 minutes later. Wufan had never been so happy to see the sun in his life. He was standing a few feet away from the door to the storage room, arms out to his sides and his head tilted back with his eyes closed.

Yixing snickered at him as he walked up and grabbed an arm, dragging him back to the street.

Wufan looked bewildered, “What do you mean we have to get paint?!”

Yixing continued laughing as he hailed a taxi and told the man where to go.

The ride to the paint shop was entertaining and irritating for Wufan because Yixing grew bored very easily. When Yixing got bored, he became fidgety, curious, touchy, and in Wufan’s opinion slightly annoying, but no less endearing.

Yixing would look out of the window for a few seconds before looking at his lap and playing with his fingers. Then he’d look to see what Wufan was doing before wiggling around in his seat and asking Wufan if they could play a game.

Apparently, after a few times of Wufan trying to ignore him, Yixing thought it would be ok to just poke him. Yixing poked Wufan’s cheeks, neck, sides, arms, shoulders, and his nose when he could get to it. Wufan would always laugh and playfully swat him away, threatening to sit on him to keep him still.

Yixing huffed and slumped in his seat, crossing his arms. Why was the ride taking so long? Wufan took pity on him and passed over his phone so Yixing could play games on it.

 

They finally got to a little shop on the opposite side of town and the 2 climbed out after thanking and paying the driver.

The inside of the shop was actually a lot larger than Wufan expected. He followed closely behind Yixing, since he had no clue where to go. They walked to a back corner of the store, Wufan looking all around while Yixing kept his head straight as if on a mission.

They stepped in front of 2 panels, both with at least 75 tiny openings for strips of paper. The panel on the left was displaying all types of browns and oranges and reds while the panel on the left displayed different shades of blue and white.

Wufan kept his mouth shut and stayed out of Yixing’s line of sight, in case Yixing needed an opinion that Wufan didn’t have.

 

They spent entirely too long in the paint store in Wufan’s opinion but he stayed silent as they lugged the large 4 cans of paint out to the sidewalk, where Yixing struggled to hail a taxi.

Wufan laughed at him and set a paint can down to flag a cab down. He continued laughing when a cab skidded to a stop right in front of them half a second later. Yixing huffed and ignored him as he quickly slid into the taxi as smoothly as he could with 2 giant tubs of paint.

They rode back to their apartment complex in silence since Yixing sat as close to the window as possible, pouting with his arms crossed as he ignored Wufan’s amused looks.

Once they got to their building, Yixing scrambled out, forcing Wufan to pay for the ride and rush after him.

Yixing tried to beat him to the elevator but Wufan’s long legs helped him catch up and slip in just before the doors closed on him.

Since his hands were full, Wufan kept booty-bumping Yixing until he cracked a smile. They got off on Wufan’s floor and walked in his apartment to store the paint in his office.

Wufan plopped down on his couch, mentally making plans to get his buddies Luhan and Chanyeol to help them get all the furniture in. Yixing hesitantly sat down on the couch too and Wufan turned his head to look at him.

“Why are you all the way over there?”

“Why wouldn’t I be all the way over here?”

“We’re not strangers, Yixing.”

“Yeah but we’re not lovers either Wufan.”

It was silent as they both blushed and looked down.

Wufan spoke first, “Ok so tell me more about yourself.”

Yixing inwardly sighed in relief for the subject change. He pursed his lips in thought.

“Well my favorite colors are sapphire blue and cobalt blue.”

Wufan nodded, like he knew which colors Yixing was talking about.

“Ok, my favorite colors are red and orange.”

Yixing nodded. “So what’s your favorite food?”

 

They spent their evening just lounging around and getting to know each other better. Wufan ordered takeout and they continued their faux-interview as they ate.

When they finished eating, Wufan walked Yixing down to his apartment. He stood in the doorway while Yixing stood holding the door.

“Today was fun.”

“It was. I hope we can continue to have more days like this.”

“Me too. I’ll come by tomorrow so we can start painting.  Good night Wufan.”

And with that, Yixing shut the door quickly, laughing softly at Wufan’s indignant sputtering.

Wufan was surprised, they were going to start painting tomorrow?! He quickly hurried back up to his place and got ready for bed. He’d need all the energy he could get if they were going to paint an entire apartment the next day.