Chapter 7

How They Met

Hours later, Wufan collapsed onto the couch in his living room, too tired to even glare at Yixing.

 

Yixing, who was walking boucing around the large apartment, chattering about how great certain things would look in certain places. He stayed away from the bedroom, wanting to respect Wufan’s privacy. In his mind’s eyes, everything was coming together nicely, making Wufan’s apartment perfect.

 

Yixing made his way back to Wufan and plopped down next to him. Their shopping day had brought the two extremely closer and Wufan found himself enjoying Yixing’s company more than he should have. Yixing also began to like Wufan’s sarcastic comments and teasing.

 

“We can go get paint tomorrow!” Yixing beamed at Wufan

 

Wufan looked at Yixing like he’d grown a second head. Yixing shook his finger at him, Don’t you look at me like that! We are not letting this place look drab and boring!”

 

Wufan huffed and turned to look away from Yixing, pouting as he crossed his arms.

 

Yixing laughed and began poking Wufan’s cheeks, causing him to laugh and look at him.

 

They sat there, staring at each other as if in a trance for 5 minutes.

 

Suddenly, Yixing jumped up, “Haha! I won! Now help me take all my dishes back downstairs so I can make dinner.”

 

Wufan followed him to the kitchen, protesting loudly.

 

“That’s not fair! I want a rematch! I can out stare you I know I can!”

 

Yixing stuck his tongue out at him, “Nope! I am the champion and I don’t want a rematch! What I say goes!”

 

They continued bickering as they grabbed armfuls of cooking ware and headed downstairs to Yixing’s apartment.

 

As they set the dishes down in the kitchen, Yixing tried to shoo a stubborn Wufan out.

 

Wufan was resilient though and sat down in the nook, resting his chin on his palm and staring Yixing down until he gave up.

 

Yixing huffed and began taking ingredients out. He decided on a simple baked lasagna dish his aunt taught him.

 

He walked over to Wufan, slamming a knife down on the table. Wufan looked at him, startled.

 

“If you’re going to stay in here, you’re going to do something.”

 

Wufan quickly picked up the rather large chopping knife and walked to stand in front of the vegetables. Yixing laid out a cutting board, “I swear if you get anything on my counters.”

 

He let the threat hang in the air, watching as Wufan gulped and nodded quickly.

 

They began preparing the food, Wufan cutting precisely and somewhat quickly while Yixing mixed things in a bowl and dumping things in a glass dish.

 

When Wufan finished cutting, Yixing took the chopped vegetables and put them in a steaming pot. Then Yixing slipped the uncooked lasagna into the oven. Wufan watched him.

 

Yixing sat down in the nook, “We wait.”

 

Wufan joined him at the table and they sat and talked about the color theme for Wufan’s apartment. Well, Yixing talked and Wufan just watched him, nodding every so often.

 

“Your living room will be burnt orange and only one wall- the back one- in your dining room will be sienna. The wall in your kitchen where your stove is will also be sienna. The other walls in the kitchen will be burnt orange. Your hallway will also be burnt orange and your room will be both. The TV room will be all sienna and the guest bedroom will be 2/3 burnt orange and 1/3 sienna. The library will also be burnt orange. Any questions?”

 

Wufan had tuned Yixing out somewhere in his spiel and was mentally and groaning about all the work they’d have to do to paint his entire apartment. He snapped out of his pity-party and locked eyes with Yixing, shaking his head.

 

“Oh, uh nope. I’m surprised you have everything planned out already. You’re so invested in this little project. Thank you so much.”

 

Yixing was inwardly smirking, the more investment we put into it, the more you’ll have to stay.

 

Yixing beamed and continued talking about the plans for all the furniture, telling Wufan that they had to go to his storage space because he had a few pieces of furniture that would match Wufan’s theme. Wufan groaned and dropped his head on the table, not ready for another furniture hunt.

 

Yixing laughed and continued  planning. Not too long after, the food was ready.

 

He stood up and took the lasagna out of the oven after turning the stove off. He pulled a set of dishes from a cabinet and began dishing the food on the plates.

 

Wufan was watching him, his mouth watering and stomach growling. He thanked Yixing and they began to eat, vaguely talking about their pasts and sharing funny stories.

 

It was a nice night for the 2 and Wufan helped clean up the kitchen before thanking Yixing again and heading back to his own apartment.

 

They both quickly retired to bed and lay away, thinking about the other. They’d only known each other for a week and yet it felt like they’d been best friends for years.

 

Wufan knew he liked Yixing but he was determined to take it slowly, becoming his friend and then asking him out. It wouldn’t do to scare him off after just a week.

 

Yixing, too, was thinking the same thing. He didn’t want to rush into things with Wufan because there were a lot of things that could go wrong. Yixing his side, vowing to take his time in getting to know Wufan.