Chapter 5: Jung Yumi: Memories : Part 2

Criminal Minds

 

 

“Sorry.” He muttered to Yumi one day when she’d arrived home from work, and she stared at him unaware about what he was speaking of.

“For?” He shrugged and grinned, changing the subject to something productive he’d done that day. He began saying sorry so much to the point where she was ready to shut him up. He always mentioned being indebted to her but she had no idea why, finally assuming it was because she’d allowed him to stay with him. She simply returned the smile and shoved off the apology thinking nothing of it. She noticed that he even tried to pay her back in unnecessary ways, such as cleaning the house when she wasn’t around or cooking her dinner for when she’d gotten back home. Also, no matter what he always smiled. Even when she’d had a horrible day at work, she’d come home to his smiling face and somehow she’d forget about what made her so ill in the first place.

“Can I work at your jobs?” She blinked, processing the question in her head.

“Why?”

“I think it’d help out around her—“

“No.”

“Why not?” He asked, staring at her curiously.

“I can handle things by myself. You don’t have to work too.” He pouted.

“But I want to.” She refused and he sighed. Later that day, came home from L’Astrance, the restaurant she worked at before going to club Kane and caught him leaving the building. He grinned and waved before walking away from her. Before she could protest, he was gone and she was near being late. Yumi rushed inside, her uniform already on and clocked in, going through today’s applications. There sat Chanyeol’s. She gaped. He really had applied for the job…

“Yumi!! Stop looking through applications and tell Seongmin to wait on the them!” Her boss pointed to a rather cheeky man and what seemed to be his girlfriend who were heading up the stairs without telling anyone. She nodded and grabbed her co-working, making sure she’d rip Chanyeol’s head off later.

Unfortunately, things worked out opposite her wishes. Chanyeol had actually gotten the job. Correction, Chanyeol had actually gotten all three jobs. Her morning job—a tiny café near a park—her afternoon job—L’Astrance—and her night job—Club Kane. How? She really didn’t know, but she knew that Kwangho definitely didn’t like Chanyeol at all.

 


 

Yumi gasped as she stared at the fallen drink that had spilled all over her customer’s shirt one day, and he glared up at her.

“I think you owe me for this one.” She bowed multiple times.

“I’m sorry! It was an accident!” She’d kill Eunmi for bumping into her. As she bowed the man eyed her chest and down her shirt cautiously, his glare turning into one of mischief.

“I think you can pay me off, if you just removed your shirt.” She was about to protest, when she felt herself being grabbed around the waist and pulled out of attention by strong arms. Chanyeol stood and bowed in her place.

“I’m sorry sir. My co-worker is actually rather clumsy. In payment, I’ll be happy to my shirt off for you.” Before she could protest, Chanyeol had already stripped his shirt revealing everything from his toned chest to his apparent abs. As much as Yumi wanted to get back working, she couldn't help but stare. He was really shirtless…in a club full of men and women…in front of her. She looked at his face. And he was ing grinning?! She watched as Eunmi eyed him from the corner of her eye and scoffed turning away from the whole scene while passing a very pissed off Kwangho.

Later that night she arrived home around two with an energetic Chanyeol.

“Did you really have to go shirtless?” She muttered in disgust. Though truly, she enjoyed it. He was toned much more than she would have thought and it slightly annoyed her that every girl in the club had their eyes on him. She’d never had a more annoying night before.

“Would you have rather done it?” He questioned with a smirk and she playfully punched him shaking her head.

“Honestly, I was going to ask Eunmi to do it. At least she’d enjoy it.” He chuckled and leaned back on the sofa.

“I might have enjoyed it too.” She paused and glared at him.

“Are you serious?! She’s so…ugh! She has the brain of a guppy. She’s far too skinny. She doesn’t even have that much of a chest, and her nose looks weird!” He laughed at her insults and shook his head turning his back to her.

“I’m kidding! But I would have rather her go shirtless than you. I don’t want you on display.” She quieted as she stared at his back in question. Did he just say what she thinks he said?

“Why?” He turned around with a grin and wrapped his arms around her shoulders puling her towards him and snuggling with her playfully.

“Because I want Yumi all to myself!” He said between laughs as he cutened his voice for her and she scoffed, pretending to gag under her grasp until she broke away and walked back to their room.

“Ugh. I think it’s time for me to go to bed. I think I just dreamt of you doing aegyo.” He laughed and called to her.

“Dream of me Yumi!!!” He chuckled as she threw back another gag noise and sighed, leaning back on the small couch. ‘If only you knew I really meant that.’

 


 

The next day, Chanyeol announced that he’d be the one to restock them on milk, eggs, and kimchi—which they’d quickly ran out of—for the home instead of her and she nodded, all right with staying home alone. It’d been nearly half a year since the report of her neighbor and she was finally over that. Quickly, he stopped at a small marker next to their apartment complex. However, while he was there, he had a strange feeling in his gut telling him to go back to the apartments. He knew they needed those, but he’d go back just to check on her then return to get them. So he left the groceries there and hurried back where her noticed their apartment door open and whimpering inside along with hushed whispers.

Glaring, he stepped inside quietly avoiding the creaky floor board and entered the kitchen to see Yumi frozen in the corner next to her stove which was burning with all kinds of paper on top and a man holding a jug of gasoline.

“WHERE IS IT?! THE MONEY?! YOU’RE THE LAST HEIR TO THE JUNG RESIDENCE!! YIOU HAVE TO HAVE BELONGINGS SOMEWHERE! WHERE IS IT?! NOW BEFORE I BURN YOU ALIVE!!!” Chanyeol approached the man without a second thought pulling him back in a choke hold right arm before taking his left elbow and targeting his temple instantly knocking the guy out. Her looked at Yumi who was still frozen in the corner her eyes fearfully watching the fire that was burning in front of her. Her cabinets had started to burn as well and shook her.

“Yumi? Yumi! YUMI! Wake up!!” It was nearly as if she didn’t hear him, her eyes remaining on the fire. Chanyeol could feel the heat and smoke building and her cursed under his breath as he dragged her out of the apartment and sat her far enough before rushing back in, trying to pack as many of her clothes as he could, careless about his own. He almost wanted to stay. He loved fire. He wanted to watch the flames engulf anything and everything, but there was something outside this apartment waiting for him that was more important than anything else. He quickly left in time just before part of the wall came crashing down.

Still, Yumi sat in the same place he’d left her paralyzed at the sight. He frowned before pulling her closed to him, pressing her head into his chest while lightly rocking her forth.

“Calmd own. Everything’s alright. Breathe. You’re okay. No one got hurt except that man. You’re safe now. You’re safe.” Slowly, she began to respond until she wrapped her arms around his torso tightly, while crying into his shirt. To her, everything had so easily felt like that day two years ago. She couldn’t control herself in the presence of fire anymore. It scared her more than anything. And Chanyeol knew that was his fault.

 


 

A week later, they combined their wages enough to buy a bigger apartment with two bedrooms and kitchen. Still, they slept in the same room, separating seeming awkward after all that time together. Yumi returned to her normal self and Chanyeol found himself smiling again. He hadn’t asked her about that day and she didn’t bring it up. Yet, the two had grown comfortable with each other, and even Kwangho had backed off easily. After that night, she had no problem with him touching her, though it still annoyed when others did. At the same time, she’d grown curious about him.

“Chanyeol?”

“Hm?” He glanced down at her, who was leaning against his body, his arm protectively around her shoulders.

“What was your family like?” He turned to her curious as to why she asked. “I just wanted to know.” He smiled and nodded.

“Well. I don’t have parents. But I grew up with five other brothers. Most of the time stupid and childish, even our oldest, but we are able to take care of each other no matter what. We can’t ever let one another fall, but recently only we had to split and one of my brothers has gone missing.” He said grinning as he remembered Kai, Sehun, Baekhyun, Suho, and D.O. She nodded. “I wish they could meet you. I want to tell them how amazing you are.” He said fearlessly with a triumphant grin. She stared back flattered.

“Me? What have I done?” Chanyeol smiled. Looking up at the ceiling in thought.

“After all those years without family you managed to keep you head high and keep going. You even work at a nightclub—that’s not easy. Even when bad things happen, you still keep pushing forward. It’s amazing. And as for me, I owe you so much more than you can imagine.” She smiled leaned in closer.

“You don’t.”

"But I do." He mumbled under his breath as he neared her. She shook her head not understanding what was going as he came closer his eyes meeting hers and keeping hers from tearing away. She scooted back as far on the sofa as she could, but it was no use as he was hovering over her,  something glistening in his eyes that she hadn't seen in him before. His eyes easily landed on her lips while he pressed his hand gently against her cheek, and he smiled proudly as she didn't flinch as she usually did with others. She'd grown accustomed to by now. She wanted to move, but at the same time she wasn't sure what she'd do if she did move, and feared that if she really did move, she'd get doubtful and leave her spot right then and there. And oddly, the possibility of her doing that killed her. She was tired of shying away from people, but then again, no one hit her like Chanyeol did. Everything he did was pure perfection, and he'd done something that many haven't.

He was there for her in a time of need. 

If she ruined this chance because of her doubt, she'd regret it. 

"You're beautiful..." He rasped his eyes not even needing to look at anything more than her face to make such a statement. Everything he wanted was in his sight. he didn't want her body, he wanted her, and for her his deep whisper was enough to send in her into fantasies and beyond with no less contact than a touch of her cheek. Slowly, she lifted her own slender hand and rested it on his shoulder. He stared at her through furrowed eyebrows. "Don't let me do this.." 

"Why not?"

"I might not be able to control myself." He muttered. She blinked.

"Don't try." As she finished her statement, it was only second before his lips came crashing down on her own, his body now fully against her own, leaving little space between his chest and her own. All her wore was light wash jean jacket that was ubutton revealing his skin underneath with white jeans. His arm wrapped around her waist pulling her closer to himself as his lips left her own and placed themselves on her neck. As he laced his hands in her own, Yumi found that it was as if he already knew her body perfectly well. He nipped on her neck and within seconds he already had her writhing under her grasp. She slung a hand around his neck and pulled him closer, leading his lips back to her own while another stayed firmly against his chest.

She inhaled as he pulled away to press light kissed up her jaw to her forehead, down to the tip of her nose and one lastly on her lips. Once against each found the other staring into their eyes.

Somehow, she just knew that this was what she'd been missing all this time. Everything about him seemed dangerous and opposite of her, yet somewhere, she'd found to accept his mishaps (even if he rarely had any).

"See. You could control yourself." He chuckled and rested his head on her shoulder before pressing a kiss to her collarbone then her shoulder.

"I could. What about you?"

"It's was rather hard with the way you were--" 

"Sorry." Chanyeol sighed deeply into her ear, barely even talking about what had happened moments before. He wanted her to understand everything. Everything that he'd done before that affected her now. He wanted to her know that it was him and he was sorry, but no matter how many times he'd tell her one, one hundred, one thousand. He knew she wouldn't understand. But somehow, even after everything he'd done. He was okay with her obliviously accepting even when she didn't know what it was about.

"What's with you and sorry?" He chuckled and grinned with a shrug.

"Habit."

 

 


 

Things continued normally. Chanyeol was actually getting used to living without the rest of his brothers and with Yumi. She still had a fear of fire, but he’d gotten her to the point where she wouldn’t freeze in sight of it. The still worked the same shifts and he took care of anyone who tried to approach her in a manner he disliked. Things seemed normal…they seemed fine..until one day.

Yumi heard her phone ringing constantly.

“You aren’t going to answer it?” Chanyeol questioned and she shook her head.

“It’s probably just Eunmi wanting me to take her shift. NOT happening.” He smiled and shook his head grabbing the phone.

“Hello?”

“Who…May I please speak to Jung Yumi?” Chanyeol frowned at the unfamiliar voice but handed Yumi the phone with a shrug.

 


 

Yumi answered it cautiously.

“Hello?”

“Yumi. It’s Dr.Lee.” Without a glance at Chanyeol, she left the room and locked herself in the bathroom.

“What’s wrong? Has oppa woken up yet?” There was slight silence before shuffling on the other end.

“He’s gotten worse. You might want to come down and say any last words. We’re not sure if he’ll make it.” Yumi stared at the wall for the longest time disbelieving. Her brother had to leave. He couldn’t leave her. Not yet. He’d fought through that coma all this time. He couldn’t leave her. She nodded, wiping the tears that started to brim her eyes.

“Okay. I’ll be there.” She left the bathroom, grabbed her purse, and made way for the door alerting Chanyeol who jumped up to accompany her, but she convinced him to stay as she went out to the hospital leaving him worried.

As the door shut, another phone rang in the house and Chanyeol froze in place. He was sure that Yumi only had one phone, as he surely didn’t have one. But it continuously rang until he followed the sound into the empty room that neither used. He stared around under he lifted the bed mattress finding it stuffed under it. Pulling it out, he realized he missed the call but stared at the phone it wonder. Where had it come from. Knowing he shouldn’t have, he went through the contacts finding numbers to people he never would have through she’d have. Several CEO’s numbers lied in the contact list—he recognized from years of business with half of them. He went until he froze on one. Suho’s number was listed there. He shook his head and continued down finding other numbers he was familiar and unfamiliar with. Then it began to ring again.

The number on it was unknown and cautiously he answered it.

“Hello?”

“Ah, Chanyeol. It’s nice to hear your voice again, isn’t it? How is it there? Nice, comfortable, warm?”

“Who is this?!” Chanyeol growled into the speaker.

“Your worst nightmare. You don’t know me, but you remember D.O? I know exactly where he is—“

“Leave him alone. He doesn’t even—“

“I can’t do that now. But I’ll tell you what you can do. You either leave her or I’ll have to permanently make her leave you. I know where she is right now. Do you?”

“Don’t. Even. Touch. Her.”

“Oh you really don’t know where she is! How nice. She’s keeping secrets. So leave. Or I’ll kill her. Right now. Don’t worry. Your other members will be on contact with you soon enough. Trust me. I have eyes on you. If you don’t leave, I’ll—“

“Fine. I’m leaving” Chanyeol growled exiting the apartment and Yumi’s life for who knows how long.

“Keep the phone. You’ll need it.”


Yumi came home to an empty house, but had assume Chanyeolw ent to acttually go pick up the rest of the groceries he never bought all that time ago plus more. Since thenhe'd been to reluctant to leave the house without her, but now that she'd left without telling him where she'd went, she was fine. 

An hour passed.

Two.

Four.

She frowned. He couldn't call her, and she couldn't call him either because of his stubborn refusal to get a cell phone. She yawned as she looked at the darkened sky and decided that she'd go to sleep hoping he'd be there wehn he woke up.  After doing the usual clean-yourself-up routine, she  pulled herself into bed and grabbed his pillow, hugging it tightly as she inhaled his scent.

crunch

She stared bewilidered before hugging ti again.

crunch 

She put her hand under the pillow finding a sheet of papaer inside. Quickly, her eyes scanned it, confusion swirling in her thoughts.

 

"If only you knew what I truly did.

If only you knew what I have done with my two hands alone...

Would you still love me? That's a silly question, isn't it? No one in their right mind would.

Forgive me, Yumi. I should have never loved you. It's all my fault. I'm sorry for the truth. 

I'm sorry for the lies. I'm sorry I can never fully repay my debt to you so we could truly be equals. What I have done... is something that can never be forgiven.

As much as I want to be by your side, I can't. I love you."  

 


 

 

Guys, take a poll for a bit?