Unsaid

A Loaded Smile
Please log in to read the full chapter

Joon’s hand pressed harder over her ear, forcing most sounds out of Hyuna’s reach. Due to not fully being awake, all had a dreamlike atmosphere. Hyuna heard noises resembling fallen bookcases. She no longer could see what was happening, pictures of light novels spinning around the axis of their bodies. Pages were being ripped apart. Feathers made of paper covered both of them in a heavenly image of justice. If only that had been reality. Hyuna’s fingers twitched around Joon’s clothes. She took in his scent, sweat forcing to open wide in need of fresh air. Her heart was racing, pumping more and more blood. Adrenaline had tensed her body, ready to take over any challenge.  If only Joon had wings made of steel to protect them from danger. Chingu’s barks were becoming stronger.

Voices filled the room. Hyuna was growing more desperate. Even if her eyes were blind due to Joon’s tight embrace, she could still feel the thick atmosphere. She wished to put all the pieces together and understand the result. Joon was trembling. Sniffing his clothes, she could sense a second, sweeter, fragrance. It made her slightly light-headed. Her confusion faded once Joon started moving. He tried to hurry his pace. Hyuna could see one of his legs bleeding and a gun hanging from his hand. The unidentified sound had found its master. She would never erase it from her head, growing stronger and stronger from her skull, shrouding her. She managed to take a deep breath of air away from Joon’s chest.

That was the first time she had seen Joon’s eyes turn colder than ice in the middle of winter, piercing her soul with such force it made her heart stop for a fraction of second, cutting off her air and blood supply. She suffocated from the look she has never seen plastered on her lover’s face. Joon didn't let go of her, losing the blanket in the process of escaping. Hyuna, in spite of the shock, continued to follow him. She could not pull away from his piercing gaze that has focused its attention towards the exit.

Step by step, Joon only watched their way forward, never trying to make sure those behind were actually following them or not. He flew down the stairs and almost landed flat on his face if not for years of experience. His shaking hand almost let the gun vanish into darkness. His other arm was steady, his fingers going deeper and deeper inside Hyuna’s exposed skin. Hyuna could not figure out what was happening. So many questions, not enough answers.

 

 

As Joon and Hyuna disappeared, avoiding the invaders, their last hope was Chingu. The dog distracted the intruders with its low growls and loud barks. Both of them pointed their guns at the animal, ready to shoot if it attacked them.

 

 

“Wait... Joon, wait!” Hyuna suddenly hit clarity after reaching the parking lot underneath the apartment complex.

“There’s no time!”

“But... Chingu! The dog! We need to---”

“THERE’S NO TIME!” Joon pulled Hyuna with such force she almost hit one of the parked cars. Instead, she fell on Joon’s chest once more, her voice muffled with one of Joon’s rough hands.

He was suspicious of everything - men talking to their mobile phones, engines running, lights going on and off; as if the whole world turned its attention upon them, watching, waiting and continuously planning ahead of them. Hyuna struggling wasn’t helping him at all. He had no time explaining things and couldn’t wisely choose his words. He used all of his remaining strength to keep Hyuna tight in his arms, hidden from danger. He would become her human shield if necessary.

The men talking at their phones decided their pretend play was useless. They headed towards the cornered couple.

 

 

Hyosung was on the black list. Nobody trusted her in capturing the traitor. She was regarded incapable of concentrating on her duties. She was accused of being in partnership with the one codenamed Lee Joon. He had to be taken down and confined for the rest of his life. Worst, Hyosung would be forced to take Joon’s life. Everybody knew she wouldn’t do it. It’s not that she wasn’t capable of cutting someone’s throat - she has proven that more than once – she didn’t want to end her friend’s life. And no matter how many times Hyosung tried to turn sides, they always rejected her pleads.

Hyosung no longer was part of the recovery mission. That pissed her off and her Secretary position has also been compromised. Stares and whispers were all she heard ever since she let Joon escape. Junsu’s reflection was keeping a close watch on her back as she closed the door behind her. She hated every time he did it. She considered that man had a weird habit in using mirrors as part of his strategies. She rushed to the dull elevator.

The music inside changed to TVXQ’s Balloons. She hated that song because Joon loved it too much. She saw Joon’s sincere smile for the last time when the song popped up that day. Her mood brightened up. He had that power upon her. These days, she could only stretch her lips and do something that resembled a smile, something that irked her facial muscles.

Please log in to read the full chapter