Fleurs-de-lis

A Loaded Smile
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The skyline grew heavier with each minute. He inhaled as much air as he could before he took his chance. The agent kept following him without a single missed step. If only he could run away from everything, forget and forgive. They have been feeding off his decaying corpse. What has he done wrong? Joon never stole the God’s precious fire, in his case, any of Junsu’s assets or popularity points. He couldn’t count his car into the equation as that was Ga-In’s maneuver. Joon exhaled. All those pathetic cases exhausted him. The Moon Legion was nothing more than a place for the Sun Legion to step upon. He vaguely remembered one of his first cases upon entering as a newly established Moon Agent. Jupiter took care of him dearly, not because of Ga-In, but because they always collected valuable information and were in no way going to lose it all if one of their agents either went rogue or died on the job. They didn’t care about the individual, just what they were holding into, which was reasonable enough with Joon. They weren’t baby sitters. The Sun Legion on the other hand couldn’t care less. If a job needs to be done, they shall do it, regardless of the consequences. That’s why, when Joon was first told to murder some high profile murderer, he had done so. The memory of the man’s eyes looking into his will haunt him for the rest of his life. There was something about the throbbing in those eyeballs that made Joon’s lungs stop functioning for a split second. He had seen death each time he passed the window of a magazine or a puddle after the heavy rain. It stared back at him.

That’s why, in the moments following a calm he hadn’t experience beforehand, he ran.

He ran away, as far as he could. The agent’s voice was nowhere near him, as he had taken his chance without caring about the consequences. They wouldn’t kill Hyuna. He was so sure of that, he ran and ran and ran until his whole being knew what kind of trash he had become. Killing for justice? What an absurd idea he had been brought up to believe. For once, the crappy government and bastard police forces were right: they were nothing more than punks enlisting their own laws upon a society fed up with regulations.

With every step and the approaching danger, with every agent calling for back-up and tracing back his whereabouts, Joon wished harder and harder to live. Not like another puppet on strings, no. He wished to live like a human being. He had to live like a human being. He had to find Hyuna and save her before it was too late.

Not soon after, his thoughts assembled and tried to create the perfect picture to gaze upon, the agents on his trail were no longer in the background. Joon slowed down and turned around the corner. He hadn’t fully recovered from whatever struck him during the car chase as his hand shot to his chest. His breathing was heavy. His heart tumbled under his palm like a marching band’s loudest performance.

“...” he mumbled low, peeking behind. There was no sign of anybody following him, yet his senses screamed to pay attention to his surroundings. Caution hadn’t been his strongest point in those last days and he wasn’t about to fall in another trap. He had to go back and investigate. No, he wasn’t an idiot! There was no way he was going to win the “Moron Agent Award of the Year”.

“Hey sugar, who are you looking for?” Joon was startled from the sudden voice coming right next to him. Ready to punch the living soul out of that person, Ga-In swiftly grabbed his arm tight and wrapped it around Joon’s back.

“, Ga-In!” he shouted as the woman let go of the other and laughed.

“I took them down, now come.” Without analyzing the risk, Joon followed her as they disappeared inside a brick building. Ga-In removed the oval carpet covering the only room’s floor. She pulled up the hidden door and climbed down the stairs. Joon was hot on her tail, completely oblivious to his surroundings.

“Where are we going?” he stopped for a second to lean against the wall, another pain inflicted upon his head. “!” Ga-In rushed to his side, placed his arm around her shoulders and forced Joon to step-up through the dark tunnel.

“Shut up, they might have bugged you.” Indeed, Joon hadn’t properly checked the exchange clothes he was given. He had no weapon and nothing in his hair, but other than that, there was no knowing what other devices got stuck to his clothes.

Minutes passed. Joon couldn’t figure out for how long they had been walking. The tunnel seemed endless and no light on the other end awaited them, until Ga-In came to a halt and her eyes scrolled down the walls. “We’re close, undress.”

“What?!” he exclaimed and released himself from Ga-In’s embrace. “No way! This is the second time, you hear me?”

“Then? You’re going to us all because you’re too shy?” Ga-In retorted as her hands already flew at his shirt. Joon stopped her and motioned for the woman to turn her back. She rolled her eyes. It wasn’t like she had never seen him in Adam’s costume. Yet, if Joon demanded privacy, she respected that. She pulled her coat off and she threw it to the ground for Joon to later pick and hide his bare body. As much as she’d love to enter the hideout with a gorgeous half- man, they weren’t alone in there and her heart had been stained by another a long time ago. Also, her feelings were never of that towards Joon. She just cannot love another.

“Now what?” their hands connected as Ga-In continued the road. It was becoming difficult to see in the musky place, the rarified air giving her troubles as well. Not soon after, Joon caught a glimpse of something or someone glowing from afar. They had finally reached their destination. Ga-In moved forward and brushed the dust away from a small control panel. Her fingers irked from the cobweb she involuntarily touched.

“ing spiders.” Sounds of buttons being pressed filled the void between her and Joon. He smirked and came closer to the brunette.

“Didn’t you like spider lilies?” Joon remarked while the flashing blue letters on the screen confirmed the code. Ga-In placed her hand over the wall and pushed. It slid without effort, reminiscent of Ali Baba’s adventures, to reveal an elevator. Joon knew in that very moment where he was. The Jupiter symbol shone brightly inside.

“It’s not the same.” Ga-In punched the floor number.

“Is this an abandoned hide-out?”

“No, it’s our new headquarters.”

“Our?”

“Oh, yeah, about that...” she proudly grinned as the elevator halted “I

Please log in to read the full chapter