Empty

A Loaded Smile
Please log in to read the full chapter

Junsu was nicknamed Louis XIV. A few minutes before, he had many in common with the French ruler. They both installed an absolute monarchy and lavished themselves with glamour. Even then, he had his leopard print jacket, tight black pants and black shirt with numerous piercings in his ear, a wide belt and a long necklace with a golden medallion shaped as a fleur-de-lis. Junsu’s iron fist gained him the reputation of a dictator. He smirked and merely told them that only those with power could bath in the Sun’s rays. Junsu also fought many wars and won them. Unfortunately, that day, a battle had been too difficult to conquer. In spite of everything else, Junsu was human.

That day, the Junsu they all knew died. He was nothing more than a living corpse.

“Sir?” one of the guards tried to grab his attention. Junsu had a blank look on his face and his hand trembled on the knife’s handle.

“Close the building down,” his voice was close to a whisper “Do not let anyone come in or out.”

He dropped the weapon and left his office.

He could pretend all he wanted. He could continue to smile in front of everybody and say there was nothing more annoying than to see flies try to disturb him. He could continue with his snarky remarks and bring fear as the only acceptable form of ruling. He wouldn't.

Junsu’s leaned over the pristine wall. The guards were watching his every move, unsure of the recent events.

“Close the building down, haven’t you heard me?!” Junsu's yell alarmed the guards. One tried to contact the main system, while the other leaned over the fallen agent.

Junsu took his hand away, leaving behind a bloody imprint.

Before everything else, he had been human once.

That day, Junsu only had one thought in his mind: not even monsters had gone as low as him.

 

 

“We can’t take her with us,” Ga-In argued as she found herself surrounded by the lovebirds and a redhead “And who in the world are you?” who never said a word. He was a stranger among strangers for all she cared, but her position indicated she was not in the mood for a confrontation. If the one staring at both Hyuna and Joon was another agent they would have to deal with, Ga-In was officially pissed.

“Time is running out, don’t waste it.” She heard Narsha’s voice in her headset and wondered why it was so difficult for Joon to make up his mind. She saw absolutely no other option. The girl had to stay behind.

“Hyunseung,” Hyuna answered before the detective had a chance to present himself “I owe him my life. He saved me and Chingu, look...” she kneeled at the dog’s side “Chingu is alright, isn’t that great?”

No one was fooled by Hyuna. She was clearly shaken by everything that had happened and she knew her time with Joon was cut short. It didn’t matter anymore for her what the other dealt with. She wished for everything to end and for them to settle somewhere else where past mistakes won’t haunt them. At the same time, it was near impossible to act as before.

Joon stood by Hyuna's side. It offered Hyunseung enough space to have a private conversation with the brunette

“I assume you are agent Son,” Hyunseung rummaged through his coat’s pockets “I can help you if you help me.”

“Again, who are you?” Ga-In snorted. It was getting ridiculous. Why were they even still standing there with nothing else to do than to exchange words?

“I’m detective Jang,” he pulled out a folded piece of paper and handed it to Ga-In “and I think there are several people there you might recognize.”

Ga-In could break mountains right there with her fist. The only thing that stopped her from crashing a couple of insults on Hyunseung’s head was her curiosity. She took the paper and unfolded it in order to reveal a list. Several names were highlighted and true to Hyunseung’s words, she did recognize them.

“They are all agents,” Ga-In flipped the paper backwards “agents that were labeled as missing.”

“They’re dead,” Hyunseung handed her another piece of paper with the morgue’s stamp and the same list “and the morgue doesn’t know how. They are still investigating. It wasn’t passed down to the police because of their affiliation with the Recovery Agencies.”

“The Moon General,” Ga-In mumbled as she eyed one particular person “He’s been missing for a couple of days now. Nobody could contact him.”

“I want to find out what happened.”

“What’s in it for you?”

“Nothing. I’m just doing my job.”

“How fast can you get a warrant?” Ga-In suddenly asked as she gave back the lists.

“In a few hours,” Hyunseung answered, not sure what Ga-In was implying “What for?”

“Get it faster or get some police force in front of the Sun Legion’s building.”

“I don’t---”

“Just do it.”

Hyunseung never trusted

Please log in to read the full chapter