Yesterday

A Loaded Smile
Please log in to read the full chapter

Something toxic lingered in the air; something that made everybody either nervous or angry beyond reason. People waiting in the intersection were mentally throwing insults while a handful of them kept their briefcases and purses closer to their chest. It didn’t matter what kind of agitated emotion they were experiencing. In the end, all the creatures in Seoul pulsated at the same rapid pace and heavily breathed their wishes for a better week ahead. The concrete jungle wouldn’t rest until all of its population vanished.

The same sensation lurked around Ga-In and Narsha. The scent of freshly brewed coffee didn’t calm Ga-In’s blank expression or Narsha’s watchful eyes.

“We need to get into the Sun HQ tonight,” Ga-In started her speech with only her lips moving “no matter what.”

She ended and stole Narsha’s cup. The coffee soon disappeared down Ga-In’s throat, thankful for its lack of warmth and extra bitterness. Narsha didn’t oppose Ga-In’s attics, nor did she question her. Not that time. While she and Joon were having their little discussion, Narsha knew the man had to be put down like a wild animal. She prepared something to help him sleep until the two Jupiter agents revised everything that happened. Two hours passed since Joon’s figure hit the extra bed hid in one of the annexes directly connected to the main hall. His silenced figure made Narsha proud of the effectiveness of her new medicine. If only Ga-In was as easy to cool. The first thing the Jupiter General did once she saw her precious nephew drift to dreamland was to train an hour at the gym incorporated underground. Narsha had to replace two punching bags and dodge every single furious attack directed at her. Then Ga-In took a half–an-hour shower, only to find the coffee ready. None touched it as both exchanged everything that happened and Ga-In learned of the events surrounding Hong Ki’s death. And she wasn’t pleased.

“That’s impossible. It will take days to hack into their system.”

Narsha knew her way around every single security flaw of every single Recovery Agency in South and North Korea. The problem with the Sun Legion persisted in their extra measurements of safety. When Narsha first got a glimpse of their network, she’d been spotted in a matter of seconds before catapulted outside with a virus redirected towards Jupiter. Luckily, she was fast enough to raise all the firewalls, effectively stopping any infection. Ever since then, Narsha had been trying hard to penetrate every single code the Sun Legion had written over the course of two years. The Moon Legion was her first successful attack when Ga-In told her to delay them in order to aid a on-the-run Joon. Naively, Narsha thought that would also affect a part of the Sun Legion. She was mistaken. Ever since then, she mastered her skills. She was ready to break the Sun Legion from the inside. Even so, it would take her time, something that Ga-In didn't have. Her request was unrealistic.

“I’m positive Doojoon worked under Adam. There’s no mistake. And if Adam knows that Joon met with Hong Ki, he knows Joon’s closing in on him. That’s why we need to get into the Sun Legion before Adam does and find those files.”

Narsha avoided Ga-In’s gaze when she spoke the former Moon General’s name. Something in the bold tone Ga-In’s voice always captured when mentioning any of her former Fleur-de-lis comrades made anybody rethink their approach. Narsha didn’t know them well. When she arrived under the care of Ga-In, she was nothing more than a child ready to take down governments at the click of a button. Rebellious and with a cause, Ga-In taught her there was something more to the world than anarchy. That was the pre-Recovery Agency era. Narsha never could have imagined that she’d end up with mountains of information stuck in her head like a mantra. It gave her nightmares after nightmares and soon, her personality was constructed around control; control and functionality, of course. Ga-In’s breakdown and war-prone mood contrasted that of an analytical Narsha.

“You could...” the Secretary’s response had been postponed for five minutes “kick some agent asses and steal their entrance cards.” She didn’t politely put the whole situation in a basket of goods. Ga-In’s smirk proved that Narsha’s words hit a chord.

“I could, huh? Pity Junsu took our Master Key two years ago.”

When the Agencies were created, they didn’t bother much with who came in and out. Not until after something that Ga-In never spoke about forced each Legion into high-security mode. Unfortunately for them, the bicker between Ga-In and Junsu became intense. Enough for their Master Key, the one every General and Secretary carried, to be banned from ever entering the Sun or Moon Legions.

The sound of a door opening made both women turn from their chairs towards the noise. Almost three hours passed and the sun was near setting on the outer video images. Joon’s confused expression came into light as he approached them. He grabbed Ga-In’s coffee and spit it back.

“Ugh, what’s this?” he complained while placing the cup on the table. The seat near Ga-In’s figure embraced his body. Joon grabbed into his shoulder and rotated his numb arm. “We have a Master Key.”

His sudden affirmation earned him an annoyed look from Ga-In’s side.

“What are you talking about?”

Narsha casually poured in a clean cup some warm coffee along with two cubes of sugar. She spun until the sugar melted and handed him the dark brown liquid with care. Joon took a fast sip before answering.

“Remember when I was framed? Hyosung gave me something. Turns out it was her Master Key. She probably figured I’ll return to the Moon Legion undetected with it.”

“Do you still have it?” Ga-In butted in and wouldn’t let Joon finish his drink. She grabbed his cup and pulled it away.

“No, but I left it somewhere safe.”

“Tell me where. I’ll go there, take the files and---”

“We are going there.”

“What?”

Ga-In couldn’t believe her ears. After Joon criticized his whole life and the general activity of the Legions, was he still able to carry on? Ga-In wasn’t sure of that and it angered her so much, she could slap Joon all day long without feeling sorry or any pain in her hands.

“I’m sorry,” he stared, aware of the thick atmosphere built between him and his aunt “but I need to do this one last mission.”

“Are you thinking of revenge?” Ga-In put immense pressure on each and every agent when it came to retribution. No Jupiter agent was allowed to go on a vendetta spree. It damaged them beyond repair.

“No. I want things to end. If bringing Adam down means the beginning, then I want to be part of that.” Joon shyly smiled. Ga-In’s eyes softened enough to quiet his heart.

“As a Moon?”

“No, as a Jupiter.” Joon stood up and placed his palm on top of his chest. “We are here to honor those fallen before and after us, to be their steady bridge in the cluster of knowledge and an immovable mountain in the face of peril, for we are the mighties

Please log in to read the full chapter