Two

When Darkness Falls

 

               Jonghyun opened his eyes lazily. 

                “What the…?” he thought, looking around.  “I could have sworn I was up already.”

                He sat up slowly, disturbing Minho as he rose.  Wait…they were all still in bed.  He had been certain they had been up.  Or at least awake.

                Minho mumbled incoherently as he yawned.  He blinked tiredly at Jonghyun. “What time is it?”

                “I don’t know,” Jonghyun grunted as he pushed himself up onto his feet.  Minho rubbed his eyes as he watched his friend stumble towards the door.  Jonghyun tripped and stepped on Key’s arm, causing him to shoot up.

                “Ow!  What the heck?!” Key cried angrily, his voice husky from sleep.

                “Oh.  Sorry…” Jonghyun trailed off as he opened the door, hurrying down the hallway without looking back to see if Key was okay. 

                Now quite awake, Key watched the older boy exit, a little confused himself.  Suddenly, he looked around too, blinking rapidly and shaking his head.  Why was he still in bed?  He vividly remembered waking up and going to the kitchen to get a glass of water.  “Well,” he considered, “I guess it could have been a dream…”  However, he couldn’t get Jonghyun’s troubled expression out of his head, so he stood and followed.

                Key’s outburst had awakened another SHINee member, Onew.  He rolled over and stretched, coming up to a sitting position.  Just like the other two before him, Onew freaked out, jumping to his feet.  However, he did it for a completely different reason. 

                “Wake up guys!” he called, “We’re going to be late for practice!”

                At this, Minho reached over to shake Taemin’s shoulder.  “Wake up Minnie,” he told the boy, “Onew says it’s almost time for us to leave.”

                Taemin brushed his hand away, whining, “It’s too early!  Five more minutes hyung!”

                “Nope!” Minho said, “If I have to wake up, so do you.”  He grabbed Taemin under the stomach and rolled him over, getting him tangled in the blankets. 

                “Hyung!” Taemin complained, trying to free himself from the fabric’s clutches.   

                Meanwhile, Onew and Key had reached Jonghyun in the kitchen.  Onew stopped abruptly, almost running into Key’s back.  “Guys, what are you doing?”

                Key rested a hand on Jonghyun’s shoulder.  “Jjong?” he asked, “Do you see what I’m seeing?”

                Jonghyun didn’t answer.  It was as if he was frozen in shock.   Onew followed their gazes out the window, and he gasped.  “What the-?” 

                It was like there was nothing beyond their window.  It was pitch black, almost like…space.  Like nothingness. 

                “Did someone put something over our window?” Onew sputtered.

                “Maybe…” Key murmured, still staring at the glass in thought. 

                After a few seconds of contemplative silence, Onew added, “Come on guys, we’ll figure it out.  Let’s go get ready.  We don’t want to be late for practice.”

                Key nodded and grabbed Jonghyun’s arm, tugging him away.  He followed half-heartedly.  “Key,” he said, “Don’t you feel weird about all this?”

                Key gave him a strange look.  “Yeah…a little bit.  Why do you ask?”

                Jonghyun narrowed his eyes in thought before replying slowly, “I’m not sure. I just feel like something’s…off.”

                Key didn’t respond, just nodded his head, lost in his own thoughts.  He busied himself with getting dressed and ready for practice though, and before long it was time to leave.  All five boys gathered in the living room, prepared to leave. 

                “Alright, Minho,” Onew called, “Lead the way.”

                Minho smiled and grabbed Taemin, pulling him down the hall towards the elevators.  Taemin was the first one to bring it up.  “Hey guys, where’s Mrs. Kim?  She always comes out to say good morning!”

                Jonghyun felt a sudden pressure on his hand, and he looked down to see Key slip his hand into his.  They shared a meaningful glance; this was exactly what they had been talking about. 

                Onew shook his head and ushered them into the elevator.  “Come on guys, we don’t want to be late,” he repeated for probably the fifth time that morning alone.  Taemin and Minho chuckled.

                When the elevator dinged, telling them they had reached the ground floor, Jonghyun and Key led the way out.  Just as they feared, the glass doors were the same as their window had been.  Beyond those doors, there was nothing.  Just swirling blackness that seemed to swallow all light. 

                Taemin gasped, and Minho’s eyes widened. 

                “What the heck is going on?” Key cried.

                “Hello members of SHINee.  I’m glad you asked, Key,” a voice sounded from somewhere above them.  They all turned, looking for the source.  “Don’t bother looking, you’ll never see me.  I’m here to tell you not to fear.  You are not dead.  You have been transported into another dimension.  I sent you there.  Isn’t it beautiful?”   

                “It’s female,” Jonghyun whispered to Key.  Key nodded. 

                Minho burst out, “Why are we here?  What do you want with us?!”

                “Oh, Choi Minho.  It’s simple.  I’m looking for the best of the best.  Look at it like a competition.  The last man standing is the best.  SHINee’s always been my favorite.  And now I decided that although I like all of you, there can only be one who wins.”

                “What if we refuse?” Onew spoke up.

                “I’m afraid that’s impossible.  You see, the competition is within the five of you.  You must eliminate the other four in order to survive.  So, in the end, there will only be one.  And he will be the one who wins.”

                “What do you mean ‘win’?” Taemin broke in, nervous at what the response would be.

                “Life, of course.  Life with me for eternity.” At this, the voice giggled softly.  “Now that you all understand the game, I think it’s time.  Let the games begin!” 

 

 

A/N: Sorry guys, I don't really like this.  Unfortunately, with both this story and Sherlock, I've been suffering from some writer's block...So I decided I should just push through and write something, and this was the outcome.  I hope it was somewhat enjoyable though.... Yes?  No?!  :( Sad day....

Taemin sad

Well at least Taemin's sad with me... But seriously, I might rewrite this, but for now it'll have to do!! :)