Eleven

When Darkness Falls

“Where’s Taemin?” Minho growled, wearing a groove in the carpet from his anxious pacing.  “He’s been gone for hours.”

Onew rolled his eyes from the couch.  “Shut up Minho,” he retorted, “Since when did you become so worried about him?”

Minho whirled on him.  “Since when did you become such an ?!” he shouted, taking a huge stride towards the couch. 

Onew shot to his feet.  “Bring it on ‘Lover Boy’.”  He lunged towards the taller boy, arms outstretched. 

Jonghyun ran into the room, pushing his way between the two boys.  “Guys!  Get a grip!” he broke in.  “Come on, stop!”  He managed to shove Onew back, grabbing Minho’s arms and restraining his wrists.  “Guys, what is wrong with you?!”  Once they’d both backed away, Onew with his jaw clenched and Minho breathing hard through his nose, Jonghyun continued, “Minho, why don’t you take some time to cool off?  Go look for Taemin.” 

Minho nodded and grunted, yanking his arms out of Jonghyun’s grip.  He stomped to the door, slamming it shut behind him, causing it to rattle in the frame.  Jonghyun winced and turned to Onew, glaring at him.  “Now.  What the heck is wrong with you?”  

Onew glared right back, his eyes shooting daggers.  “Nothing,” he spat, turning and marching down to the bedroom.  Slam! 

Jonghyun sighed. 

Meanwhile, Minho was striding furiously through the halls, muttering incoherent curses under his breath.   “Taemin!” he called, his voice echoing back at him in the emptiness.  “Taemin!”   He brought up his fist and slammed it into the wall.  “Screw this.”

He was about to turn around when he saw something out of the corner of his eye.  “What the--?” he gasped, leaning down to get a better look.  Suddenly, he froze.   There was a light on.  Underneath the door in front of him was a thin crack of light.  He narrowed his eyes and straightened up, placing a hand on the doorknob.  He turned the handle warily, pushing the door in slowly when he saw it wasn’t locked. 

“Hello?” he called softly, poking his head in first.  When no one responded, he opened the door wider, stepping inside the room. 

He couldn’t believe his eyes.  The room was empty—no furniture or pictures, just a light fixture—but something was lying in the middle of the floor.  That something happened to have a connection to Minho’s childhood.  It was his favorite stuffed animal, a purple octopus with plastic eyeballs. 

“Octo?” he muttered aloud.  “How did you get here?” 

The toy simply stared back at him, the large eyes slightly unnerving Minho.  It was almost as if his hand moved on its own, like he was just a spectator watching someone else’s hand reach for the plush animal.  His fingers had barely grazed it before the floor started to disappear.  Minho stood frozen, one hand on the toy, as the room disintegrated around him, the walls crumbling and the floor dropping out, plunging him into a swirling, suffocating darkness. 

 

 

Jonghyun couldn’t believe it.  First Taemin and now Minho!  Almost half of their group had disappeared without a trace!  It’s like they’d vanished into thin air! 

He ran a hand through his hair, sighing as he made his way down a hallway, calling out their names.  “Taemin!  Minho!” 

No response. 

“Taemin!  Minho!”

Again, nothing.

Jonghyun stopped, leaning against the wall and rubbing his eyes.  What the heck is happening?

When he opened his eyes, his brow furrowed.  Something caught his eye at the end of the hallway.  There was a small object lying on the carpet, carefully illuminated by a circle of yellow light.  Cautiously, Jonghyun approached, looking around in case this was some sort of trap, placed there to lure him in. 

When he got closer, he could make out the details of the object.  It was some sort of…teddy bear!  It was brown and fluffy, with a red bow tied around his neck.    There was a tag hanging from the ribbon.  Jonghyun bent down, reaching out to angle the tag so he could read it. 

“To my wonderful son Kibum after his surgery.  His name is oo, in honor of all you've been through.” 

Jonghyun’s jaw dropped.  First of all, when did Key have surgery?  Second of all, how the crap did this bear get here

He picked up the toy and stood up.  He had to bring this back to the others.  

 


A/N: Short update to honor my promise! :D More to come quite soon!! Thank you to my new subscribers!  I hope you enjoy reading!