Three

When Darkness Falls

 

 

The five boys stared at each other.

Jonghyun spoke the question on all of their minds, “What the heck was that?”

Onew shrugged, eyes wide, and Minho looked like he was frozen in shock.  Taemin was blinking rapidly, trying to process.  Key was in denial. 

He ran to the doors and pressed against the handles with no avail.  The doors wouldn’t open.  Every time he tried though, the voice would sound again.  “Uh-uh-uh!”  It sounded as if it was wagging its finger at them, mocking them.  Key grunted and banged his fist against the glass in defeat. 

“Key, come on,” Jonghyun told him gently, moving him away from the doors, “That’s not going to help anything.”

Key sighed.  “I know.”

They stood around in silence for the next few minutes, each member trying to deal internally with the realization that someone had basically imprisoned them…in another dimension.  None of them really got it, and they definitely didn’t understand the gravity of their situation. 

Onew suggested that they move back to their room and discuss their next move there.  Everyone agreed and started for the elevator.  Minho, Onew, and Taemin entered, but before Jonghyun and Key could, the doors began to close.  Minho pressed the “door open” button, and it lit up but didn’t do anything.  The doors slid closed and the elevator shuddered to a start while the three looked on in confusion. 

Key and Jonghyun were left in the lobby, looking around warily.  “This day just keeps getting weirder and weirder,” Jonghyun muttered, half to himself.   Key nodded slowly but didn’t speak.

Suddenly, the voice was back. 

“Hi again.  I’m sure you’d like to know why you’re here,” it stated.  Without receiving a reply from the startled boys, it continued, “I’ve always liked you two.  JongKey.  It’s just too cute, even if it is just pure fan service.  But I’m willing to make you an offer right now.   What do you say?”

Jonghyun and Key met eyes, and Jonghyun asked slowly, “What kind of offer?” 

The voice seemed happy that he had asked.  “If you agree to it, I will end this right now.  I will allow both of you to live.”

Key broke in angrily, “How is that an offer we’d want to take?!”

“Because I’d be letting two of you live!  Instead of just one?  Or are you just in this for the ultimate prize, Kibum?  Do you just want everyone else out of your way?”

“Why you little-“ Key started, eyes practically glowing with hatred.  He looked up, as if he was searching for the source of the voice so he could strangle it right then and there.

“Stop Key!” Jonghyun commanded, swinging his arms around his friend to stop him.  To the voice, he said, “We’re not interested.  It’s either all of us or nothing.” 

“Fine,” the voice replied shortly. 

After that, a haunting silence echoed.  And then, a sharp click.  Jonghyun and Key looked over to see the door to the stairwell had opened, but no one was there.  Jonghyun glanced back at the elevator and sighed.  The light showed that it was still on their dorm’s floor.  “It looks like we’re taking the stairs,” he told Key. 

The pair started the climb to the fourth floor slowly.  For a while it was silent.  Key obviously did not want to talk about what had just happened, but Jonghyun felt that it was necessary. 

“Key,” he started, breaking the uncomfortable silence, “Are we going to tell the others about this?”

Key thought about it, stopping his climb to stare at the step below him.  “I…I don’t know.  Do you think we should?” he asked quietly, bringing his eyes up to meet Jonghyun’s.

Jonghyun considered it before replying, “No.  I don’t think we should.  It might freak them out even more.”

Key nodded, and- so quietly that Jonghyun thought he might have been mistaken when he heard it- he murmured, “Or it will turn us all against each other.”

“What was that Key?”

Key paused, and when he opened his eyes they were filled with tears.  “I don’t want to die Jonghyun!” he cried.  Jonghyun wrapped his friend in a comforting hug, and he sobbed on his shoulder.  “I don’t want to die,” he repeated.

Jonghyun smoothed Key’s hair and said quietly, “No one’s going to die Key.  As long as we stick together, we can find a way out of this.”

Key looked up at him.  “But that’s just it,” he pressed, “This…thing is going to try and drive us apart.  What if it succeeds?  What if we all turn on each other?  What if-?”  He broke off into another sob that made Jonghyun cringe. 

“Key, look at me,” he said, pulling the younger one back to look into his eyes.  “I promise you, we will stick together.  We’re SHINee!  We can do this.  You just have to believe me, okay?”

Key nodded and let the subject drop.  Jonghyun took his hand, and they continued to climb. 

From somewhere far, far above, the one behind it all watched the pair in silence.  Finally, it smiled. 

Oh, this was going to be so easy.

 

A/N: Hey! Look at this!  Another update!  And it didn't even take me too long to write! :) YAY!  Also, I have 9 subscribers!! WOO!! If we can get to 11 from this update, this is what I'll do when I see it...

Key, SHINee GIF
 

Yeah...it just got real.  Haha well I hope you guys enjoyed this!! BTW: Since you've probably noticed, I'll just tell you.  I'm starting to ship JongKey soo hard... :O 

Well, until next time!! :D