Six

When Darkness Falls

 

 

The morning started off just like every other morning.  Key rose first, prepared some breakfast with the help of Onew, and the smell of whatever it was that was cooking generally woke the other three.  Usually though, they’d eat together and laugh and talk about the events of the previous day.   Today, yesterday’s events didn’t seem all that laughable.  The tone of the meal overall was more somber, each of the boys staring into their bowls in thought.

“So,” Onew began awkwardly in an attempt to ease the tension.  “How’d everyone sleep?”

“You mean after Taemin woke us all up because of some silly dream?” Minho replied rudely, pushing his oatmeal around with his spoon.

Taemin’s eyes immediately filled with tears, and Minho cringed at the harshness of his words.  Taemin began to cry, and he pushed his chair back and ran out of the room.  A few seconds later they heard the bedroom door slam shut.

Key glared at Minho.  “You better go apologize to my baby,” he spat.  “Or you can make your own meals from now on.”  He stood too, snatching his bowl from the table and stomping to the sink.

Minho looked at Onew, silently asking his opinion.  Onew frowned at him and nodded, so Minho sighed and rose from the table.  “Fine, I’m going,” he muttered.  “Happy, Key?”

“Hmph,” Key grunted from the sink as he started the dishes. 

Minho sighed again and left the room, following Taemin to the bedroom.  “Taemin?” he called softly, rapping his knuckles on the closed door.  “Can I come in?”

He heard only muted crying on the other side, so he took that as a “yes”.  He swung the door slowly inward to reveal a shaking Taemin hugging his pillow to his chest and wrapped in blankets.  Hearing him enter, Taemin looked up and collapsed into fresh sobs. 

At the sight, Minho felt guilt prick at his conscience.  “Hey.  I’m sorry about what I said.  That was really mean of me,” Minho apologized, approaching Taemin and crouching down beside him.

The younger met his gaze and Minho’s face softened.  He reached out his arms and pulled the boy in for a hug. 

“I’m sorry for waking you up,” Taemin sniffled.

Minho slowly reached up to Taemin’s hair and replied, “It’s not a big deal.  I’m just a little on edge because of all that’s happening.  It’s a lot to take in, but it was unfair for me to take it out on you.  Forgive me?”

He felt Taemin nod.  “Of course Minho.”  After a pauses, he added, “Can I tell you something?”

It was Minho’s turn to nod.  “Of course, Taemin,” he responded.

He felt Taemin’s hands fist his shirt, and he snuggled closer.  Minho could feel the wetness of Taemin’s tears seep through the fabric. 

“I’m scared hyung,” Taemin murmured into his chest. 

Minho felt his heart squeeze painfully at the boy’s honest words.  He pulled him gently back by the shoulders, so he could look into his brown eyes.  “I promise that everything’s going to be alright.  I’ll always protect you.  Okay, Taemin?”

Taemin nodded and smiled through his tears.  Minho pulled him in for another hug, knowing he’d meant every word.

 

*  *  *

 

Key cleared the table slowly, beginning to clean each dish mechanically.  He was so tired he could barely think straight.  The night before he hadn’t gotten much sleep, and not just because of Taemin’s little freak out.  When he had managed to fall asleep, he’d been plagued by nightmares of the band’s future now.

He shivered just thinking about it.  Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he jerked back to reality at the pressure of Jonghyun’s hand on his shoulder. 

“Key, I’ll do the dishes.  You look tired; why don’t you go back to bed?” Jonghyun suggested.

“I’m fine.  Maybe if you’d leave me alone I could actually get these done,” Key snapped, gesturing to the dishes.

Jonghyun held up his hands in surrender.  “Geez, Key.  I’m just trying to help!”

Key looked at the sincerity in his friend’s eyes and sighed wearily.  “Yeah, you’re right.  I didn’t get much sleep last night, and it’s messing with my head.”

Jonghyun grinned.  “It’s okay.  Everyone’s a little wired today.  Things are weird,” he assured him.  Reaching over, he took the towel from Key’s hands.   “Here, let me take over for you.  You go lay down on the couch for a bit.”

Key smiled gratefully at him and nodded.  His hand lingered in Jonghyun’s as he left the kitchen.  Lying down on the couch, he shut his eyes, hoping that sleep would come easier now than it had the previous night.

 

*  *  *

 

Meanwhile, Onew sat alone at the table, eavesdropping on Key and Jonghyun’s conversation.  He could only imagine what Minho was saying to Taemin, but he was sure it was just as mushy.  

He sighed and buried his head in his hands.  Of course it had to be him.

He felt like he was stuck in the middle of some nasty, gooey, romantic fan fiction.  He curled his lip. 

He’d do anything to get out of it. 

 

A/N: Haha GOOOEY :) Don't worry, it's all important! Thanks everyone for all your support! I love you guys! <3