Sixteen

When Darkness Falls

“Hey, where’s Onew?” Key asked, realizing they were missing a member.

“I don’t know,” Jonghyun replied.  “He was still there in the living room when I got my toy.  Maybe he didn’t get one.”

“No!” Taemin broke in.  “He had to get one!  That wouldn’t be fair!”

“Look around,” Jonghyun said harshly, glaring pointedly at Minho.  “Does any of this seem fair to you?”

Taemin sighed.  “I know; I just can’t believe that Onew’s not going to be here.  I won’t believe it.”

They let the subject drop and sat in silence for a second before Jonghyun spoke up again.  “Okay, I think we need to find a place to put Minho.” 

“How about the office?  I think there’s a couch in there!” Taemin suggested. 

“Good idea Tae,” Key agreed.  “Let’s try and get him up.”

Taemin reached down to shake Minho’s shoulder gently.  “Minho,” he crooned, “Can you hear me?”  There was no response, and he panicked.  “Key, why can’t he talk?!”

Key crouched down and felt for his pulse, replying, “He has a pulse, so he’s alive.  I think he passed out.  He’s probably in a lot of pain.  Let’s find something to carry him on and we can get him onto a couch.” 

After some consideration, they remembered the emergency injury equipment that was stored in the basement in case any of the trainees or idols ever got injured during practice.  Jonghyun set off to find it, leaving Key and Taemin to worry over an unresponsive Minho.  Twenty minutes later, he returned, toting a bulky bag over his shoulder and followed by a familiar figure.

“Onew!” Taemin exclaimed, jumping up and hugging the older boy.

Key noticed Onew cringe at the physical contact, and he frowned. 

“I found him on my way to the basement,” Jonghyun explained briefly as he dropped the bag, ping it to reveal a bunch of emergency equipment.  He removed an expandable stretcher and unfolded it.   “If we can get him onto this, we should be good to go,” Jonghyun speculated, grabbing Minho’s feet.  “Taemin, grab his shoulders, and Key pick up one side of the stretcher.  Onew could you help with the other side?” 

Onew nodded and helped Key pick up the stretcher.  Jonghyun counted to three and him and Taemin lifted Minho’s limp body, carefully maneuvering him over to the stretcher.  They set him down with a grunt and Jonghyun took Key’s side of the stretched from him, asking him to instead carry the bag. 

Key obliged, swinging the bag over his shoulder and following the other three out of the room. 

“So what happened to him anyways?” Onew inquired—a little rudely in Key’s opinion.

“Why don’t we all swap stories once we’ve gotten Minho settled down?  I’m sure you have something to share with us too,” Key replied icily.  He was going to have to have a conversation with him, leader or no leader.  He wasn’t acting like much of one.

The group shuffled to the office—which was thankfully on the same floor—only to find the door locked. 

“Dang,” Jonghyun muttered.  “Key!  See if there’s a needle or something in the first aid kit so we can try and pick the lock.”

Key dug through the bag, removing the first aid box and looking through it.  “There’s a few safety pins; will that work?” 

“Well we’ll find out,” Jonghyun responded, “Give me the biggest one.”

Key found the longest pin and passed it up, crossing his fingers.   Jonghyun stuck the pin in the lock and jiggled a bit. 

Snap!

“Damn,” Jonghyun cursed under his breath.  It had broken.  “Do you have another one?”

Key looked and nodded.  “Yeah here it is.”

This one worked, and the lock clicked open.  They hurried inside and placed Minho down on the long dark leather couch on the side wall.  After sliding the stretcher out from under him, he stirred, muttering something unintelligible.  Taemin gasped and knelt at his side.

Jonghyun grinned a little and backed away.  “I’m going to go look for blankets downstairs,” he told the other two before he left. 

Key saw his change and grabbed Onew’s arm.  “Can we talk?” he whispered to Onew, gesturing towards the door.  Key pulled them into a nearby practice room and spun to face their leader.   His eyes were flashing.  “What’s going on with you, Onew?” he demanded to know.

Onew gave him a look.  “What are you talking about Key?” he sighed, sounding exasperated.

“Something’s not good with you, and I need to make sure you’re not going to do anything that would hurt the group.”

Onew laughed coldly.  “Oh of course.  You wouldn’t want to hurt your little group,” he spat.

“No!  Not my little group.  Your little group, you idiot.  So step up and start acting like a leader!”

Onew’s face fell.  He hadn’t thought about that.  Maybe it was him who was wrong.  Maybe he wasn’t trying enough.  “I’m sorry,” he finally said.  “You’re right Key.  I left a bag downstairs, and it has some food in it.  Let me go grab it; I’ll be back soon.”

Key smiled and nodded gratefully, taking his arm again.  “Thank you for understanding,” he murmured.

Onew left the room with a lighter heart. 

That is…until he heard the voice. 

 


A/N: Duh, duh, DUHHH!!!!

So the poll has a tie for first right now, so if you haven't voted, please do...

And COMMENT to let me know what you think!  I value everyone's opinions!