Prologue/One

When Darkness Falls

 

 

“Boys!” SHINee’s manager yelled, pounding on the door with a closed fist.  He tapped his foot and tossed his head in impatience.  When no one answered, he banged again.  “Boys! Open this door right now!”

Suddenly, the force of his hammering caused the door to swing inward slowly.  It hadn’t been locked in the first place.

Ignoring the worried thoughts poking their way into his head, the man pushed forward angrily.  “I can’t believe this!  You’re late!” he called, rushing through the living room.  He paused in the hallway.  Silence pressed in on him from all sides, and it was a little…unnerving.  Why wasn’t anyone responding?

Just then, he heard something fall in the kitchen.

The man sighed and rolled his eyes.  They were probably hiding from him.  Sometimes those boys could be so immature. 

He walked into the kitchen while he said, “Practice started two hours ago!  Where have you-?” He cut off, his eyes wide and jaw dropped.   The sight in front of him made him freeze in horror.  “K- Key?”

Key was standing stock still, eyes glued open, staring at nothing.  His eyes were glazed and unfocused, and his hands were held out in front of him.  He had been holding a glass full of water, but his fist was squeezed so tightly that the glass had shattered, some shards sticking out of his skin.  The floor below him was wet with the water and broken glass.  And the blood. 

Key’s blood was dripping down his hands, landing on the floor.

Drip. 

Drip. 

Drip.

The manager finally broke his gaze away, his face horrified.  He backpedaled, almost losing his balance and falling on his .  He regained control and running towards their bedroom. 

Taemin and Minho were still in bed, the covers tossed haphazardly across the mattresses.  They were like Key.  Like two statues.  They were lying on their backs, staring up at the ceiling, eyes blank.  Taemin’s mouth was open, frozen in a yawn. 

“Taemin!  Minho!” the manager called, rushing over to wave his hand in front of Taemin’s face.  “Wake up!”

There was no response.  No movement to show they’d heard. 

The man strained his ears for any type of noise, and he picked up the sound of running water.  The bathroom!

He sprinted across to the bathroom, throwing open the door.  Jonghyun was standing in front of the mirror, still posed like he was looking intently at his reflection, hand raised to fix his hair.  His eyes stared expressionless at the reflective surface though, showing that he wasn’t seeing himself.  He wasn’t seeing anything at all.

The shower was running! 

That thought broke the manager away from Jonghyun and away from the panic threatening to take over his brain. 

He pulled back the shower curtain, willing to risk exposure to parts of the boys he never wanted to see.  He just needed to find one of them. 

It was Onew.  Onew was standing under the running water, frozen just like the rest of them.  The water ran down his shoulders in an endless stream, but Onew didn’t feel any of it. 

SHINee’s manager couldn’t hold it back any longer.  The dams broke, and the flood of terror and panic rushed in.  He finally screamed, but the five boys didn’t hear a thing. 

 

A/N: What do you think? A little creepy? GOOD! XD There's more to come...