RM-ABS 40 - The Ending

Running Man All Boys School

“Are you in yet?” Ji hyo asked in a bored voice. Her attention had been in the laptop before her for the past 12 hours. Considering she hasn’t slept properly for almost a month, it was a wonder that Ji hyo had been able to sit still for so long and not fall asleep. The coffee and sheer will of determination also helped greatly.

 

Ji hyo and Anthony were accessing a very small backdoor in Anthony’s office system for hours. It was easy said the man but very time consuming especially without his customized tech, software and helpers. Ji hyo offered him her best ITs but Anthony refused and said he doesn’t trust anyone else except her. It was heartwarming to hear those words but 12 hours later, Ji hyo was so sick of codes and reading lines of algorithm especially because while she’s decent with a computer she’s still no Bill Gates.

 

“I really don’t understand why you would want me as your assistant. I am not even sure I am assisting you in any way that is remotely helpful.”

“Oh dear, you are the view. The muse to my weary soul.”

“Shut up Park.” Ji hyo said with a murderous glare. Anthony laughed and looked marginally better with a smile on his exhausted face. He was an eyesore to be honest with his unkempt beard, coffee stained shirt and wild scientist hair do. He could have been called raggedly handsome six hours ago but now he has passed the line into mad and insane look.

 

“Joking aside, you are actually better than my lab assistant back in Cali, Ms. Song.”

“I don’t see how that could be true. Unless your assistant is a picture of a busty woman hung on your walls to ‘inspire’ you.”

“Well, not exactly what I have in mind… but you’re correct in a way. My assistant is not of flesh and blood.”

“What could that be? A robot?”

“Ding dong ding!” Anthony sang, tapping along his keyboard loudly. He grinned at Ji hyo and despite his 34 years to Ji hyo’s 26, Anthony looked like a kid who got candy. A hyperactive kid who just got a sack of candy, illegally. “Yep, robots because I am a genius.”

 

“If you always keep crazy hours then they would be the only ones who could both tolerate you without combusting into nothingness.” Ji hyo deadpanned. Anthony winced and looked away leaving Ji hyo feeling guilty.

 

“You’re not bad, Park. But you are certainly an acquired taste.” Ji hyo offered in apology. He didn’t acknowledge her and every second of silence just made Ji hyo feel worst and worst. Anthony was a lonely man despite all his accomplishments. The man probably learned to wear masks and facades just to avoid getting hurt and Ji hyo knew that. Now she felt stupid and a failed human being. It doesn’t matter if the man is an . Ji hyo should still have been the better one.

 

“I have lots of very efficient robots but not in my lab. My first bot was not very successful but he’s a f-fri-- he’s been with me since community college and I never got to fixing or scrapping him for a better bot. I miss my workshop and the kids but until then, I have to abuse your help because I have no one else.” Now Ji hyo felt even tier. As if to drive the nail deeper, the man quietly mumbled, “I’m sorry.” Then he went back into typing furiously as if nothing happened.

 

Ji hyo still shouldn’t trust this man… but he reminds her of Myung soo and sometimes, of Jong kook. Even if Ji hyo has a million reasons to kick out Anthony, he still deserved to be given a chance.

 

“I’m in! We’re in!” Anthony exclaimed and ran to Ji hyo. The two jumped up and down like a pair of kindergartners.  They both have a huge grin on their faces. Ji hyo was thankful that she’s done typing codes and that it seems like she’s forgiven.

.

“Eherm,” A loud cough ended Ji hyo and Anthony’s celebration. They both turned to the door to see Kyungsoo glaring at Anthony. “Dinner is ready. Noona, come on and eat. I asked Ms. Lee and she told me that you spent days here with greasy, unhealthy takeouts and sandwiches of dubious spreads. If Hyung was here, he’d be dying of .” The boy said accusingly, his eyes now boring at the older man.

 

Ji hyo turned at Anthony with a smile -- a gesture Kyungsoo noticed and made him growl low. He really wanted to punch the man’s perfect face, wipe away that charming grin and hit him until he learns not to flirt with everything that moves. Especially his hyung’s girl.

 

“Anthony could we take a break?”

“Sure dear… I just need to uhh, wait a min --- and there we go. This will take a bit. I had installed a virus to mask our presence. Now we could eat while we wait for it to kick in.” Anthony went straight to Kyungsoo and casually draped an arm around Kyungsoo who flinched and jumped behind Ji hyo. “Don’t touch me you dirty old man!”

 

“I am not a dirty old man honey. Come on, I missed your cooking dearly.”

“When was the last time you showered?”

“Umm, maybe I am a bit dirty… but not old and if you’re so concerned with hygiene, you can give me a bath later and scrub my back…” Anthony deflected and even threw Kyungsoo a wink that made the other gag. Ji hyo just laughed at the antics happening but subtly led the group to the kitchens.

 

After dinner Kyungsoo, Ji hyo and Anthony made their way back the makeshift office. Anthony lost his entire jolly demeanor and focused on his task. He gave Ji hyo files to sort out with Kyungsoo. There were terabytes of data pouring in which the three carefully sifted for anything relevant.

 

Sometime during midnight Kyungsoo fell asleep on the couch. Ji hyo made another batch of coffee at 2am but before it was brewed she’s down too, slumped on the island counter just beside her beloved coffee machine. They managed to compile a thick file of suspicious money transfers and dealings but there’s nothing solid that could incriminate Shane yet.

 

Anthony looked at his little team and felt oddly peaceful. Sure, he has thousands of employees, a whole department of geeks and scientists working for him but not with him. It has never felt like what it is to work with Ji hyo and even the grouchy boy who was actually pretty cute despite the permanent scowl on his face and a damned good cook to boot. Anthony would take that boy with him and make him his own personal chef or assistant. And maybe have someone else in the table during meals, or just to banter with. Even Ji hyo… she’s the sister Anthony never had.

 

It was just nice… really nice not to be alone even if he misses his robot companions.

 

At four in the morning Anthony found a way to Shane’s personal computer. At first there was nothing there until he found a little file on Notepad with codes. Initially it looked like an attempt of a very poor programmer to create a simple chat room programming similar to Viber. That was until Anthony erased the junk and came up with an IP address. Anthony carefully threaded the code and stalked the IP which turned out to be a chat program so simple and unassuming yet so complex that it was almost impossible to hack into the messages if you are using a remote device.

 

But Anthony is a desperate genius and determined to give Ji hyo her justice and stop Shane from causing more troubles. A few more hours passed and Anthony finally cracked the codes. He saw the messages and felt a shiver of dread. He already knew Shane betrayed him but to see cold hard proof of it just made it more real and it was very painful.

 

Anthony thought Shane was his friend and family but he has to be stopped now. Anthony would grieve later. He swept the computer once more, snooping for incriminating evidences. Now that Anthony knew where to look -- it was ingenious actually. Shane’s cohorts have developed a program that encrypts transactions into junk and meaningless codes that programmers don’t bother with. If you’re not looking then it’s practically invisible.

 

And then Anthony found the ransom videos. Ji hyo was clearly unconscious but unharmed. Still he couldn’t bring himself to watch. He gathered it together with emails, transaction tracking numbers and the golden ticket -- Shane was smart to gather dirt against the mercenaries he hired but it was also Shane’s key card to jail for the rest of his life. After a few more minutes Anthony has enough evidence to accuse Shane of kidnapping, embezzlement of funds, tampering of records, 2 counts of murder and assisting terrorists.

 

Anthony looked over at Ji hyo who was sleeping peacefully, if albeit uncomfortably, on the island counter. He was filled with joy at the prospect of going home and getting back his company but looking at her… Anthony couldn’t help the crashing guilt. If not for him Cheon Sanggu and Jong kook would be here. Shane would have found a way to get to Anthony but in America Anthony has no one who could be used as leverage against him unlike here. If Anthony didn’t try to reach out to his roots… Ji hyo wouldn’t have lost so much

 

And it was surprisingly painful to think of leaving. Anthony would miss Ji hyo’s quiet strength and snarky remarks despite knowing her for less than a week. He would even miss Kyungsoo who mistrusted and twisted all of Anthony’s words bitterly. The feelings were very foreign to Anthony who hasn’t really called anyone a friend in decades.

 

---/:::::/---

 

When Ji hyo woke up it was to the sight of Anthony inhaling a pot of coffee, a stack of papers in front of him and the remains of war… the room looks worst than before she went to sleep. It is now filled with papers, markers and all sorts of office supply in every nook and cranny.

 

“Anthony? What happened?” Ji hyo yawned and stretched, accidentally kicking Kyungsoo who woke with a start and fell down on the floor.

 

“Morning sweetie and honey pie!”

“You’re too loud ajusshi!” the boy grumbled while Ji hyo laughed at the look on Anthony’s face. She used the distraction and stole the pot of coffee and drank straight from the container.

 

“What happened, Anthony? Did you even sleep? Your grin is creeping me out and I think your face is already stuck like that…” Ji hyo said with a big yawn, only marginally awake and still craving coffee.

 

Anthony just smiled at them sweetly. “What happened indeed, or rather, what I found instead?” Anthony dramatically spread out copies of the evidences. The stack of printouts Ji hyo and Kyungsoo were sorting turned out to be records of accounting discrepancies that would back up the digital information Anthony dug up. Shane tried to kill Cheon Sanggu. It was really him and Ji hyo was torn between being happy and angry. Happy to see justice served but angry at the fact that this had to happen. And sad that she is still not sure if her Pa and Jong kook survived.

 

“He killed my remaining family. Anthony I need this man in prison forever or have him thrown in the cold arctic waters tied into an anchor.” The Running Man High teacher mumbled through gritted teeth. Anthony stood up and faced Ji hyo. He slowly got closer and awkwardly hugged her. “Dear, don’t worry. I will make sure he pays double. He will live to enjoy his punishment and I will make sure he will regret everything.”

“Thanks… for coming here, Anthony.”

“No Ji hyo… thank you for trusting me enough to help.” Anthony said sincerely. Kyung soo crept up to them and in an instant the youngest was wrapped tightly around his noona.

I’m truly sorry too Song Ji hyo…

 

---/:::::/---

 

Anthony Park was standing straight, eyes scanning the horizons of Seoul one last time. It was very unnoticeable with a posture so stiff and straight but Ji hyo could tell that the man was relaxed and at peace.

 

“Are you going to be a stranger then, Anthony?” Ji hyo asked, standing beside her new friend.

“What do I have to do to make you call me Anton? Or even Tonton?” The man answers back with a grin. “And you know that I can’t just disappear in the wind after what you did for me Song Ji hyo. I owe you big time but I won’t be coming back for a long while.”

“What are your plans then?”

 

Anthony sighed, his gaze returning to the wide expanse of the blue skies. It was a good day and Ji hyo sincerely hoped she wouldn’t be saying goodbye permanently to yet another friend. The man could be an to be honest, but Ji hyo also knew he was a loyal who has her back, debt or not.

 

“You know with my reputation, I am surprised you aren’t running away yet. It almost seems like you don’t want me to leave.”

“You are a friend Anthony. And yes your reputation is so scary but I am brave.”

“You are a friend to me too Ms. Cheon even if you are a fool… I guess I will go back to the US and repair the damages Shane’s done. I plan to compress stuff. I would clean up, let go those who are likely to betray me, give up on my assets that I don’t really like. I mean what would a tech innovative company do with a pencil factory?” he jokes but with a dash of excitement. Ji hyo was truly happy to see Anthony dream.

 

“How about Korea then? What happened to your plans of expanding bases?” Ji hyo teased.

“I already learned that if I am away the mouse is happily playing at home. I had always liked creating stuff and exploring new venues… I have this loyal staff that sent me what I needed to learn of Shane’s crimes, I think she will make a good CEO. Then I can play wherever I want and Korea is creating good technology… I might take up your offer of partnership one day Ji hyo.”

“You old fool, just visit when you can and I will keep an eye on your investments while you are away. And call, you have a family here now. I bet even Kyung soo would want to hear from you.” Ji hyo tugged Anthony closer and hugged him completely. The next flight to New York broadcasted loudly and Ji hyo let go of the other. She would miss this one despite the short time they’d known each other.

 

“Thank you Ji hyo… for everything and I know we all have a lot on our plate right now but you should call me up too. Your father is very proud of you… and no matter what happens…” the words were drowned by silence but Ji hyo understood and nodded. “Good, Ji hyo… don’t lose hope because I know your father is a tough guy and Jong kook is a Kim. We could be s but we are also tough. Just hold on okay? I need to leave but… I would have stayed --”

“No Anthony, Shane should be stopped. Give my Dad the justice he deserves, Tons and be careful.” The two leaders hugged quickly and said their goodbyes once more. Then Ji hyo walked away, somehow more at peace than she had been ever since her kidnapping.

 

---/:::::/---

 

Jong kook grits his teeth and ignored the pain at his side. He pushed himself up higher into the tree, reaching out for the coconut. He tried not to think of death or the possibility of it. He just needs to take care of the Chairman until someone finds them.

 

He knew they wouldn’t stop looking. If Ji hyo was found already she wouldn’t just give up on them because that’s just how she is. She never accepts defeat even if Jong kook has already surrendered. Just like how the old man wasn’t giving up for his daughter.

 

 

“You should eat too Jong kook-ah.” Sanggu said, refusing the fruit that Jong kook kept on insisting to him.

“You need it more sir and I could just get more… there’s a lot of them out there.”

The man shakes his head and smiles at Jong kook wisely. “Son, I am old. You have more chances of--”

“Don’t! Please… sir, we can get out of here… someone will come. And I wouldn’t be explaining to Ji hyo why her dad is, why you are… so please d-don’t. We will survive and go home sir.”

“You know… last month I was the one who was holding your hand and telling you to stop being a coward. Funny how it all changes in a blink. But you should know this Jong kook, I haven’t given up. I am fighting but you should fight too. We both know that I am eating more while you do all the work. The fever is gone and you are doing a good job keeping this place warm so no, I am not in danger of suddenly dying. Now we both need to return to her so go on and eat. Give the two of us equal opportunities to go home to her.”

 

Jong kook looked up the man and just like that his resolve snapped and he cried. Ugly burning tears just flowing without control. “I thought I would lose you! I thought we were both gonna die and all I could think of was Ji hyo. Is she well? Is she free? Did she even know what happened to us? What if she’s still out there wondering why we haven’t come to save her? I know they would look for us and for her… but what if she goes home and has no one anymore? I-I… I’m sorry… but I was so scared I was just--”

“Hush… now Jong kook I know. I am afraid too… I don’t know where she is or if she is well but I know she is doing her best and we should too. One thing you should know about Ji hyo is that she has the most wonderful mother and that woman is more than all I could ever be and Ji hyo is the daughter of that woman. I could feel it in my heart… maybe I am not a mother but I could feel that my child is safe.”

 

“I failed her before. If I listened and didn’t go far away she wouldn’t have fallen and we wouldn’t be stuck on that cave… I knew you must have hated me. I did it before and I will fail again--”

“No young man, I will not hear such lies. You were kids. I love my daughter but she’s wild and a lover of adventures. I was thankful you where there with her. If you didn’t keep her warm enough I would have lost her to the cold. And now you are saving me. We owe you a lot Jong kook and it’s true. Listen to me and believe it. Ji hyo would’ve have wandered around sooner or later but she was okay because you were there and she learned her lesson well.” Sanggu explained kindly, sad to learn that Jong kook has never forgiven himself. “She’s never blamed you or thought of you any less. That daughter of mine loves you so much even when you were just kids.”

 

Jong kook was numb with so much emotions but his mind and body was just too weak to over think Sanggu's words. The older one seemed to believe those things and maybe Jong kook should too. So Kim Jong kook nodded and desperately held onto the older Cheon’s words. Praying fervently for it to be really true.

 

 

 

Ever since Jong kook and Sanggu ended up in the godforsaken island, Jong kook slept less and less. He was afraid that a rescue plane would pass by while he was sleeping and miss their chance to be rescued. At night he would keep the fire burning hoping that someone would see it and they would sleep close to it for warmth. Every night that comes and goes, the fire becomes smaller and smaller with the supply of firewood dwindling. In the mornings Jong kook dared not sleep. He climbed the highest trees he could find and tied scraps that would reflect light in case something passes by. Jong kook also spelled out SOS in various parts of the island he could reach.

 

Days passed but only the noise of waves came. If Jong kook survives, he knew that he won’t ever be able to hear the sea again without spiraling into madness.

 

It was their sixth day already and Jong kook fell asleep due to exhaustion in the middle of the day. Sanggu was awake and surprisingly alert. As if the older man knew something was going to happen. But Jong kook was too exhausted to ask... and hungry too. Though he knew he should forage food before nightfall, it was just too hard to resist the comfort slumber offers -- no hunger or thinking even for just a while.

 

Jong kook knew he was dreaming. Or maybe it was a hallucination? He didn’t care much. It was a nice dream… there was cool, fresh water being pressed to his rough lips. He was being hauled, into a rough, but softer material than the ground, bed (?).

 

And there was another sound besides the cursed waves. Radio crackling, rotors spinning -- helicopter? -- boots, footsteps of more than three men. He should really open his eyes but he doesn’t want to wake up from the dream.

 

Then there was that smell of home and love… how he missed Ji hyo and if he could, he’d offer anything to see her once more even if it’s just a dream.

“Jong kook oppa… please, please! Oppa…”

 

Jong kook smiles. He might never see her again but at least he gets to hear her voice and get a whiff of her scent one last time. Jong kook knew it was just a dream but then it suddenly ends and he spirals deeper into unconsciousness where dreams and pains couldn’t touch him anymore.

 

 

 

When Jong kook opens his eyes, his first thought was that he died and heaven was surprisingly bland. He closed his eyes again and smiled. At least it’s cooler than the island and he’s not hurting anymore. So Jong kook ceased analyzing his situation and slept again.

 

…should be awake.

…why… if there’s no complication?

He doesn’t want to… we are sorry… but his body is refusing to wake up.

Jong kook oppa? Please! Can you hear me?

Ms. Song!

Song!

Ji

Hyo…

 

Jong kook continues to sleep. And soon the voices went away. That was good, more than fine. It was heartbreaking to hear such pain anyway. Sleep was good. Darkness is okay… once more he surrendered to the nothingness.

 

 

Warm. It was truly warm and comfortable. He could also recognize a faint sound of piano playing a piece his mom used to love. It was very comfortable and soft. And the most amazing part is that he’s pain free and it felt like he is home.

 

He must be in real heaven now.

 

“Jong kook oppa?” a scared, hesitant voice called out and Jong kook wondered how his name could sound like a million questions and a multitude of emotions that was too much for him to name let alone recognize. But it was clear. Not muffled like when he was succumbing to darkness.

 

Jong kook opens his eyes abruptly and screams as torrents of memories, pain, emotions, fear floods his memory. He expected to be pulled back into darkness, almost expecting the nurses to sedate him because he was having a bad panic attack and he couldn’t breathe. He shouldn’t breathe because the water -- icy cold and dark -- will drown him. And no one will come because they couldn’t hear him screaming. No one, alone, darkness -- death.

 

Darkness did not come but Ji hyo did.

 

“You’re safe now oppa. Pa is still in the hospital but you did well. He was as healthy as he could be despite your conditions. We found you…. I joined the search team last Friday.

I had help from a friend who analyzed the weather that day, where the waves were strongest to extrapolate your possible location and last Sunday we finally found you. The rescue helicopter picked up faint signals from that radio you tried to fix.

 

Then while passing by I noticed weird metal reflections that shouldn’t be on top of trees. We thought it was from the plane crash but I felt this indescribable hope that you were alive and near… then we found you. Just on time.

You held on enough for us to save you. You have a terrible infection but you should have woken up but you just wouldn’t so I took you home when the doctor cleared you. You are here in the hacienda, safe, home and with me my love.” Ji hyo explained, whispering comfort and holding Jong kook. The oxygen and dextrose was hurting a bit but Jong kook focused on Ji hyo.

 

Home, alive, love, Ji hyo… princess…

 

Jong kook cried and tried to cling to Ji hyo despite his strength failing him. He was home. He’s a coward, he’s sobbing like a baby but it doesn’t matter. Ji hyo is here and he’s home with her. They are safe.

 

He worked his protesting throat, whispering, needing to say it now so badly, “J-Ji… I-I lo, love…” he mumbled brokenly. But it was okay because Ji hyo is nodding and crying too. He tried to smile, hold her, make her know what he feels but despite failing to do more than whimper and mumble, Ji hyo smiled. And it took his barely there, breath.

 

“I love you too Jong kook-ah.”

 

At that point in time, it doesn’t matter to Jong kook anymore if he still feels inadequate for Ji hyo.

Jong kook survived a jump on a plane, swam to the nearest island after said plane exploded, and he lived to tell the tale.

Sometimes he would be afraid and the doubts will never leave, but it's okay. Ji hyo is strong. When he couldn't be strong enough, there's two of them now...

And if they are scared, then it’s okay… it’s okay to be scared and sad sometimes. He’ll just make sure there are more things to be happy about.

He’s not a prince but she’d say she’s no princess either. Ji hyo won’t even need a crown because Jong kook will always treat her as his queen. And Jong kook doesn’t need royal titles to have his happily ever after ending because fairy tales are not the only ones who get to have that. Sometimes normal people like him get one too.

She loves him, what more could he ask for?

They are safe and home. That’s already too much…

And that look she's giving him -- like he was God's greatest gift, so full of love -- how could he ever let go of something that precious and rare?

He's found his forever now and Ji hyo mirrors the same realization in those beautiful brown orbs twinkling with promises.

Jong kook is home and he's never going to leave again.

 

I love you my Princess…

 


Finally, finally done! \^u^/ I will probably post snippets or timestamps about Ji hyo’s kids back in the school, Papa Sanggu, Kyungsoo and part time CEO Song Ji hyo – she had to help the old man anyway and train too because she’s the heir. I accidentally gave Anthony and Kyungsoo a cute bromance… err if anyone had noticed it, Anthony Park is based from someone famous *wink wink* I am planning a lot of cute stuff to be added to this story so I am not marking it complete yet but technically this is the end and it’s all done (finally! After two or three years I think).

Thank you for enduring this story despite this lazy author’s slow update. Thank you so much and I know I would feel bad for this but can I hear from you guys? I mean, it’s the last one anyway… what do you think?

Anyways… this is a very long Author’s Rant. Just wanna say thanks, thanks and Salamat po.

Disclaimer: Everything here is made up, please don't ever think what I wrote in this series can be used as a fact, because it's more of "". I know nothing about computer programming or medical science and my detective, search and rescue knowledge are based from unrealistic Dramas. So yeah... it might sound ok but no it's not! thanks!