RM-ABS 19

Running Man All Boys School

The end.

 

The huge screen serving as an interactive background flashed the words brightly before fading into a dim gray and there was only silence. Too quiet.  No applause. Not even the sound of breathing echoed in the dark, jam packed auditorium.

 

Ji hyo numbly walked out of the hidden corner station. What greeted her explained why it was deathly silent. Everyone in the auditorium is standing, closed fists proudly raised in the Running Man High Cheer. On the stage, King Sado’s (Inguk) face was twisted into an ugly determination, eyes closed and just a shadow. A remnant of when he was alive. His son, Yisan (Joongki) stood up proudly in front of him, a yellowed parchment half hangs from the table. The word Father written neatly in red to depict blood.

 

Of the three major short skits they have presented, the death of Sado was their darkest and most liberated. The students went for another interpretation that would make Historians raise arms and drop their pens but made Sado more than just the crown prince who was claimed insane and was executed by his own father.

 

Then the cheers exploded. Ji hyo momentarily thought a bomb went off before her brain processed what she was hearing. Then some people were crying and clapping so hard one would wonder if their hands aren’t bleeding yet.

 

On the stage, her students for The King’s Shadow have lined up, bowing deeply with surprised expression in their faces. They looked too surprised that Ji hyo felt a sudden urge to shake them and tell them that they were so perfectly good and that they are not allowed to think otherwise. The other groups for the first and second skit also joined and when Ji hyo thought the sound couldn’t get any louder, she was proven wrong. Especially when Gwangsoo comically stumbled on stage in a jester’s outfit along with the cast of Revolution of Puppets. Followed by Myungsoo and Taemin’s group of Cupid was Born Before Goryeo.

 

Ji hyo proudly grinned up the stage to watch her young charges sing along the group song Gary composed with no other than Kim Jong kook. They wouldn’t allow her anywhere near it saying it was a surprise and she was, indeed surprised. And she couldn’t shake the thoughts of him as she listened to the simple but very heartfelt song, ignoring the twinge of pain in her chest region. The skits were sad. They did not choose the happy stories after all… it really has nothing to do with the boy she’s reminded of, filling her mind with thoughts of loneliness and fear.

 

“Ms. Song.” Ji hyo would have jumped a mile at the sudden intrusion if she was not already pinned in the corner. She nervously looked at the newcomer and wondered if she was going to be fired. “I’m glad to see you here, sir.” She greeted her superior with a nervous smile -- which was surprisingly returned with another one, though much more confident and curt.

 

“Your students were very creative with the script.”

 

Ji hyo took a deep breath and shrugged, figuring out that it’s not like she could deny anything after the show. Besides, her kids did something to be proud of and she is, very proud of them. “It is certainly a unique interpretation because I challenged them to be their characters. To ponder and show us the very human side of the figureheads we are so familiar with. I didn’t want them to use their textbooks as script.”

 

“So… you are teaching nonfiction in your class Ms. Song?”

 

“I teach the kids facts, sir. We follow the curriculum strictly. But I don’t want them to memorize dates and names. I want them to know the significance of the date and names, to think of the cause before the effect and how it has affected them… because there’s so much more to learn in people’s motivation than the results alone.” And it was back to that deathly stillness once again. Ji hyo could feel the anger seeping in that could result in things that shouldn’t so she forced herself to calm down and focus on the kids and the positive reaction of the audience.

 

Finally Dongwan broke the tension with a laugh -- of all things -- extending a hand towards Ji hyo. “Welcome to Running Man High Ms. Song. I will forever deny saying this… but you have to know, I worry less about these kids now because you’re here.” Ji hyo accepted the offered hand with gaping open. She’s almost sure she’d be waking any minute now to that horrible alarm tune at the dorms.

 

“And Ms. Song, the drama coach would be retiring next year. I’d appreciate it if you would accept the position of assistant drama coach and learn as much as you can from the man. This auditorium almost emptied the coffers of the school and I’d like to see it put into good use.” He smiled one last time and removed his hand from Ji hyo’s which she is still shamefully clutching.

 

“Of course sir! Thank you sir!” she croaked. It took Ji hyo minutes just to relearn breathing and feel like she’s not due for the hospital anymore. Then she heard the chanting and the manhunt for her.

 

“There she is!” her boys rushed to their teacher in big grins and everyone was ushering her onto the stage. She was roped into the party and spent forever taking pictures with students, parents and colleagues. But it was okay even if she didn’t really like the crowd too much… because of the happy expressions in everyone’s faces. Then she accidentally tripped, blinded by a flash, and would have gone right off the stage if not for the two strong arms pulling her close.

 

“Teacher Song, Teacher Kim! Say cheese!” Another camera went off and the two teachers didn’t even have time to wipe the shocked expression in their faces that certainly could win the year’s award for deer caught in the headlight expression. Jong kook immediately let go of the female teacher and got lost in the sea of students. Ji hyo also fumbled for an excuse to go without really knowing why she needs to leave.

 

But her eyes caught another person’s. Eyes with the same shape and color as hers. Pa…

 

She blinked rapidly but there he was, her father smiling and clapping down the stage. The crowd is thinning and she could feel Jong kook’s presence beside her. She knew without a doubt, he was also looking at the Chairman.

 

“Hey, your dad’s here… everyone’s going down Ji hyo.” The other teacher whispered, his warm breath tickling the sensitive shell of her ear. Ji hyo flushed furiously. Normally her reaction is to fly into the older man’s arms whenever she sees him but now… what is she feeling? Guilt? As if she did something she shouldn’t…

 

Ji hyo let herself be led down the stage. Her eyes never left her father’s. When he was right in front of her with his arms open, Ji hyo’s love for the older man won and she bounced excitedly into the older Cheon. She buried her face in his coat and inhaled the scent of home. Her brain conflicted for a while because dorms were home too and she realizes that she doesn’t miss the hacienda that much, she just misses her old man. “I’m sorry pa. I haven’t called or visited home for a while.” She whispered, feeling the rumble of her father’s chest as he chuckled.

 

“I missed you too so much. I admit I was sulking at home, wondering why you don’t call anymore… but if this is why you’re so busy, I think I don’t mind it much.” They released each other with eerie similar grins. The chairman patted his daughter proudly and whispered, “Ji hyo-yah, the play is beyond words. I’m still not too happy being tossed out of your priorities, but you know how petty I could be daughter mine but it would never affect how much I love you.”

 

“Of course pa, I know and I’m sorry. But what are you doing here? I haven’t told you about the play…” Ji hyo winced and made a mental note to message or call her father at least every other day.

 

“Never mind now, tour me around. Show me why you’re so happy in this place. There must be something that I’ve missed.”

 

“Eyy, getting surrounded with kids makes one feel younger. Their energies alone Pa’s very contagious, but they are brilliant. Just look at the play. I still can’t believe it though.”

 

The older man looked around the crowd, noticing that boys were curiously looking at them. Some teachers were also whispering to each other while they usher the audience out. He nodded towards the curious bystanders and gave his only child an affectionate squeeze. “I think I’ll have to reschedule the tour and the chat you owe me Ji hyo-yah. I’ve forgotten that it’s still working hours… you should go back to work now.” His daughter gave him the sweetest smile that reminded him too much of his wife before tiptoeing to give him a kiss on the cheek. With whispered thanks, she bounced away happily towards some parents and students.

 

“Joongki! You were inspirational, and also you Gwangsoo -- you two made me cry so much!”

 

“I was a jester teacher! You were supposed to laugh!” the tallest boy whined to the laughter of everyone.

 

“Yeah, it’s so funny that I ended up crying instead. But wow, Inguk you gave me goose bumps, Yunho, Jae wow, you guys were very convincing as a couple! I never saw that during rehearsals.”

 

“Because they are. A. Couple, ma’am...”

 

“Oh, but it’s still very good. Your songs are epic Gary! Haha, I didn’t know you could be serious for a minute. Taemin, Jokwon, you are very elegantly beautiful as queens. Hoya, the blockings and that little choreography you did was so clean and blended so well with the concepts…” Ji hyo took a deep breath and continued to point out the little things she noticed, never leaving a name unmentioned. A few parents came and congratulated her while their boys shyly tried to act like it was nothing.

 

After a while of chatting with everyone, Kyung soo slid beside Ji hyo and placed an arm around her. “Hey, I prepared a little feast at the dorms. That’s your dad noona? Go invite him to eat with us. I’ll herd out the children.” She nodded gratefully at her friend and slipped away from the crowd to find her Pa. She navigated the auditorium, greeting and shaking hands, accepting commentaries and telling everyone that it was her students’ talent that made the play successful. Then she saw her old man… and Jong kook chatting away in a corner. Their backs were facing her and she couldn’t even begin to guess what they are talking about.

 

Ji hyo worried her bottom lip as she thought of bits and pieces about the connection between her Pa and Jong kook. She never really asked either man about it. But if given a chance, she wasn’t really sure how to voice out her curiosity. Ji hyo just knew Jong kook ended up in Running Man High because he has nowhere else to go with everyone refusing to accept a teacher with a record like his. Her father must have known who Jong kook was. The chairman even asked the man to be her baby sitter… and she hated to think that maybe, Jong kook was only humoring her because he owed her Pa.

 

“Pa? Teacher Kim…” the two men turned around. Her Pa had a small tight smile in his face. Jong kook was blank and he refused to really look at her. “It’s nice to catch up with you sir… Ms. Song, congratulations again. See you at the dorms.” Jong kook said awkwardly then he left with some flimsy excuse about missing a notebook. When he was gone, she looked at her Pa, brows raised in suspicion.

 

The man rolled his eyes, making Ji hyo choke back a laugh which is hard when you’re trying to look stern. She still regrets the day she showed her father that one. “Pa, come on… what’s up with Jong kook?” she asked, pulling her father towards the dorms, choosing the longest path possible to buy them more time and privacy.

 

“Hey, my darling Baby, I love you.”

“I know pa. I love you too. What were you two talking about?”

“Do you like him?”

“Papaaa” she elongated the syllable in a childish whine and looked away. “Of course I don’t!”

 

“Oh, you aren’t friends with him? Is he bad to you? I thought living together makes people close.” The older man teased in an innocent tone that would fool anyone but Ji hyo and the unspoken question of is-he-the-reason-why-I’m-being-ignored hang heavily in the air

 

“Oh… yeah, err, he’s okay. I like him as my friend… he’s a good friend.” Ji hyo forced the blush down but she could still feel her ears warming. “But yah, Pa, you are avoiding my question!” she whined with a deathly pout. “He looked a bit uncomfortable earlier.”

 

Mr. Cheon swallowed, debating with himself how much he should say. He is not blind but he is also not entirely sure how the two kids feel about each other. It’s just so easy to see that somehow, the lad is close with Ji hyo in his own way and Jong kook really took his wish seriously -- to take care of his daughter. “I’m not so sure what made him uncomfortable... I think Mr. Kim doesn’t like me too much.”

 

“But why?”

 

“You should ask him, dear. Things would make more sense coming from him rather than me, and then we can have this talk.” The director sighed kneading his daughter’s brows until it smoothen out. “Not all people, my child, like their past. So naturally, we also automatically don’t like being reminded.”

 

JI hyo’s steps slowed down. She was so curious and a little frustrated, not knowing anything and now she’s just sad. She used to be angry that he avoided her, told her nothing… but never had she thought of things that way. She never thought that maybe she was a reminder to a past that her prince-oppa has so desperately tried to bury. Maybe it’s why he never visited again and chose to forget the promise they’d made to find each other again.

 

Her father matched Ji hyo’s steps, taking in the view of the place his dearest wife has loved so much. He felt a dull ache in his chest seeing how much it has changed. It was still a beautiful place… but not like when she was still alive. And just like Ji hyo’s friend, her Pa is also the sort of person who’s good at avoiding things that reminds him of the past -- not because he wants to forget and escape…it just matters too much that years couldn’t even begin to erase the pain. He feels that maybe it’s time that all of them face their ghosts and start to move forward. And yes, including Ji hyo… and that boy.

 

“Ji hyo-yah, how do you find the idea of your Pa making the school my temporary office base?” he asks softly and watches in amusement as different emotions flash on his beautiful daughter’s face.

 


I have a better Christmas this year than last year and I love the Avenger stuff everyone got me. Now I have enough Avenger shirts to wear every wash day at the office for the whole year. I hope you guys had a great Christmas and advance Happy New Year to all :-) Thanks for reading!