RM-ABS 14

Running Man All Boys School

Ji hyo frowned at the empty spot in front of her. For the past few days, she’d been eating dinner alone or with Kyung soo and sometimes with Inguk. Not once did she see the PE teacher during meals. They live and work in the same place but all she had were glimpses of the man. Most often, it even leaves her wondering if it was not her pathetic imagination conjuring hallucinations. Kyung soo definitely noticed but was not very vocal about it. The younger man only sighs and gets silent at odd times. Like he was distracting himself but stops functioning when he remembers his friend. Ji hyo didn’t have the heart to ask him if he knew anything about why Jong kook is always absent.

 

If it was not annoying her to death, she would have actually applauded the man’s effort. How can one be so well versed in avoidance like they had a doctorate in it?

 

She would never admit or examine closely, why she is so curious with the other teacher’s whereabouts. It is normal. They uncovered the culprit, whom they had decided not to expose. Maybe she’s curious about the story behind Myungsoo but then, he is Cheolji’s brother. It was not a meaningless prank but revenge. She should not pry into it and let Jong kook decide if he wanted to tell her. They are not even that close. Even if she helped the jerk and listened to his story -- that no one has ever heard before – the man owes her nothing.

 

But why? Why on earth is Kim Jong kook back into avoiding her like the plague? They are at least colleagues. She was his… his playmate. They had a -- past? -- A… they were… their families were friends. They used to be friends complete with nicknames for each other. Hell, Ji hyo’s still using the name he gave her after so many years that almost everyone doesn’t remember her real name. Even Principal Dongwan honors Song Ji hyo (although, officially it’s Cheon Seung Im in the records). Even her dad who only humors it like a game at her request accepted that his daughter is called Song Ji hyo and her mother approved of it.

 

Ji hyo let out a frustrated sigh. She scooped a big chunk of her porridge and shoved it without preamble into . It was really tasty. Surely, Jong kook would have loved it. His lost!

 

That self-centered jerk! She picked up a carrot stick, figured out she should make an effort to fit into her pants and ate it in one go. The steaming soup smelled delicious. Ji hyo drank it in one shot like she would do to a bowl of makgeoli.

 

He doesn’t deserve this feast. I don’t care if he gets hungry. s don’t get any. The tenderized meat got jabbed almost harshly by the angry female. The empty plate got cleaned up in record time, soon joining the rapidly disappearing bowls of assorted dishes.

 

He probably lives in the gym now with those ridiculous muscles of his. He’s… a spy! A user! The orange juice bottle got emptied within seconds after she set her sights at it.

 

He’s probably okay now… that everything’s alright. He doesn’t need anyone because everything’s fine. He’s… such… a… cowardly bastard! May his muscles grow thick in his throat until he chokes and dies from being overly muscular!

 

A flash of Jong kook swaddling like an overgrown chunk of muscle made Ji hyo giggle. She could almost imagine Jong kook getting so muscular that even his throat is in danger of clogging. He could maybe; eat already without chewing since his throat is hard enough to digest-compress-whatever-it-is-muscles-do-like-snakes-guzzling-their-victims.

 

It is definitely possible if it was the stuck-up PE teacher. Laughing at the mental image, she could almost feel the tears sliding down her cheek.

 

“Um… noona?”

 

Ji hyo snapped awake and realized that she had demolished breakfast for two grown men plus her share. An apology was already at the tip of her tongue when she realized that Kyung soo is gaping at her with a pleased but also horrified expression. While Inguk is plainly gaping with a horrified expression.

 

Also, the cafeteria is already deserted. She could feel her cheeks warm up; growing into a full-scale blush in a matter of seconds… that is even hotter than her burning tongue. Before she could wonder why the appendage is in serious pain, she vaguely remembered drinking scalding hot soup.

 

“Ma’am, you just gave stress-eating another meaning… please don’t be mad… but it is umm, scary. I’m sure glad I’m not the person you were muttering about.” The class president exclaimed with a grin. He bowed and left after leaving Ji hyo a warning that it’s already late and classes will start soon.

 

Ji hyo turned to Kyung soo who’s now not gaping but still had that pleased, not so horrified but bordering fond expression. She grinned back sheepishly at the boy. “Kyung soo-yah… umm… I’m sorry?” she offered lamely. She wondered if she’d said the whole damn you Jong kook speech aloud but was too embarrassed to ask.

 

“Noona, how can I be mad?” She shrugged and Kyung soo leaned forward with a sincere, warm smile that strangely made Ji hyo feel guilty. “I’m glad that you… at least love my food.” At Ji hyo’s puzzled expression, the boy spoke up again without letting Ji hyo say even a word. “A person get’s motivated through things… having an avid eater, is my cooking heart’s joy and pride. Though I was worried… did you hurt yourself, noona?” the boy reached out to wipe away a grain of rice, but immediately withdrew. “And Noona… whatever you were muttering about… we didn’t really understand.”

 

Ji hyo sighed in relief. Strangely, she didn’t want anyone to know that she’s looking out for the muscular man. “Kyung soo-yah?” Ji hyo took his hand and thanked him. His pleased/fond/a-little-horrified expression was still there. And a little bit of resignation was surprisingly present… but this is a person you would be friends forever so may maybe it’s why Ji hyo felt guilty at the hopelessness in his eyes. “Thank you.” It’s an apology, and a promise. He’s unfortunately very dear to her now and won’t get rid of her that easily.

 

“Eh, it’s okay noona! But you ate a lot… if you don’t want me to buy you pants,” Kyung soo swallowed hard and almost hesitated. But if he is not obviously enough, then won’t it be better to point her to another direction and hope that she’d be happy? “Then why don’t you see the gym for a while after class?” Kyung soo still felt a stab of pain at the suggestion but did not let even a flicker of it to be seen. Yes, Ji hyo wasn’t particularly corrigible at her mutterings, but it was easy enough to guess as to whom it was directed. After all, there is only one person they haven’t seen for a while.

 

Ji hyo’s face lit up at the mention of the gym. For Kyung soo, a smile from her after all the scowling he’s endured for days is worth a little pain. She nodded then stood up for her classes. Before she went upstairs to the quarters, she turned around and smiled warmly at her friend. “Kyung soo?” He gazed up from cleaning the table to look at the pretty lady, a questioning look in his handsome face. “Thank you. Again. I really mean it… thanks a lot chingu-yah.” She said. Kyung soo nodded. If he could have that smile just for him even just from time to time… the little pain is really worth it.

 

---/:::::/---

 

The students of class 2-c were strangely well-behaved that Friday. Usually, everyone couldn’t be bothered to pay attention on a Friday because they’re busy waiting for the classes to end and for the weekends to begin. The sole female RM High teacher was also strangely at peace. Her enthusiasm with history captivated the students. It also inspired another activity that will culminate next week.

 

“Okay class. We will have a play and everyone needs to participate. Before we start, I need a volunteer who will act as director and another one who will be in-charge of production. So… anyone?” Ji hyo asked, hoping but still expecting that the volunteering process will take a long time (until it becomes a votation or forcefully assigning someone).

 

The class fell very silent. Then the murmurs started. The little buzz grew until Ji hyo realized that the class is actually very excited, and that was still an understatement.

 

“I volunteer to take care of the props Ma’am!” Xiumin exclaimed, waving his hand like an overexcited toddler. Ji hyo doubted the idea of props and Xiumin because props don’t equate to buns or food, before she remembered that besides lunch, Xiumin likes Arts and Crafts subject. He was also good in food presentations and garnishing. She only hoped it will reflect in other non-edible things.

 

“I also volunteer!” Changmin blurted when Ji hyo accepted Xiumin. She shrugged and placed Chang min’s name on the list beside Xiumin’s.

 

“So, who’d like to direct the play?”

 

“I volunteer for the position of director Teacher. Since this class couldn’t really function without me ordering them around”   Inguk said with a fondness Ji hyo didn’t expect and no one contradicted. His classmates even seemed to be agreeable. Then he added, “If it’s okay, can I ask Hoya to be my assistant?” he looked at the silent boy seating behind him. Ji hyo wondered if she only imagined it... but it felt like an intimate moment. Hoya’s face lit up then flushed red. “Hoya is… talented. A good dancer and choreographer. This play will be very graceful and perfect with his skills.” Inguk looked dreamy while the class gagged. Ji hyo thought it was romantic.

 

“Well, Inguk that’s okay. Hoya?” Ji hyo snapped her fingers until the shy boy came back into the present. “Are you game?” she asked. Hoya nodded shyly at her but smiled when he looked at Inguk then nodded fiercely as if Inguk Just proposed and he’s saying yes to it.

 

“I will write the script… if it’s okay? Maybe make it a musical since everyone here likes to sing… and everyone just sounds awesome.” Another volunteered. Ji hyo looked around and was glad to see Gary volunteering. She had noticed that the boy liked to write lyrics. She knew that any script he’d do will be fantastic. “Of course Gary, we’d love to have you as our script writer. And if this is a musical, you’d have to help the director coach and choose people for the roles. Or you could customize the songs for them.”

“Done teacher, thank you!”

“Then I’ll help with the facts and historical accuracies. But not with the singing…”

“Thank you too, Joongki.” Gary replied to the resident genius.

 

After a hectic hour, a plan has been made. Everyone was excited and Ji hyo gave them the rest of History time, library time and study time to work on the project. She supervised the kids but almost did not interfere.

 

She was getting excited too. At the end of the day the main actor was chosen. Even the late-absent boyfriends Jae and Yunho volunteered to be King Sejong’s parents. Jo kwon claimed the role of the queen while Taemin became Dongyi. Ji hyo couldn’t believe Jokwon’s fierceness… even Taemin looked like he’s going to cry after some rehearsal.

 

A rough draft was produced. The line-up was finalized. Ji hyo called a friend in film prods and borrowed costumes. The other’s costume would be scrounged up by the whole class. Everyone suddenly became a history expert and practiced the famous parts even without the detailed script yet. Joongki looked very pleased to share information his classmates would usually ignore.

 

The female teacher felt accomplished and peaceful when she returned to the dorms. She still has two hours before dinner and has a goal that cannot wait so before she could change her mind, she changed into a sweatshirt, reasonable length shorts and trainers.

 

Ji hyo waved at Kyung soo on her way out then headed down. Some students greeted, but otherwise, no one really bothered her. She headed into familiar brick path. Walking slowly while she breathed the sunset air.

 

Reaching the first clearing to the greenhouse, Ji hyo stopped to do some stretching. After she was satisfied that she’d done everything to lessen the soreness she’d feel tomorrow, the teacher started a slow jog. Ji hyo planned her path and directed it towards the forest. She would circle the greenhouse and finish the run with a little hiking that will take her to the back of the gym.

 

The exercise felt good. The burn of her muscles and cool evening air cleared her thoughts. For a while, she didn’t think, but focused on the sensations. She also didn’t let the past rule her. They were just kids. Her father didn’t know of the bond she had with her childhood friend or the promise they made with each other so if her dad didn’t help her find the boy… it wasn’t his fault. She had been so young and everything had been just some vague memory with some parts of it in HD. While Jong kook… Ji hyo groaned and refocused on the path ahead. She’s now running hard and sweating furiously despite the chill. The greenhouse loomed in the distance but she decided to change the course of her exercise and turned at another rarely used trail.

 

Ji hyo ended up in the forest that leads to the little village near the school.  The path was not how it used to be but it was really beautiful. She had always looked forward into going to the little village on those paths with her mother. And Ji hyo loved the village and the kind people living there. She always gets plenty of cakes and pastries from the ajummas. Ajusshi’s praise her little antics and the kids knew a lot of fun games. Though she was still too small to participate, she remembered that it was full of life and colors.

 

A gust of wind passed by, leaving Ji hyo shivering. She ran back to the school grounds before she lose herself. Then she realized that she ended up panting and in desperate need to rest at the clearing where Jong kook first found her on her first day as a teacher in RM High. That man has always found her… when she was young and lost, and when she was an adult who got a little disoriented despite the familiar place.

 

She felt droplets of rain kiss her face but instead of heading back, Ji hyo sat down on the same bench she sat on a few weeks ago. She sighed and asked herself, not why is Jong kook avoiding her, because only the man could answer that. The big question was… why is she bothered?

 

Why is she hurt that he was avoiding her?

 

The realization and admittance sent Ji hyo into a more confusing musing. It couldn’t be because she hasn’t forgiven him for the omission that he was the prince or that he was collaborating with her dad. She knew her appa… and how do you introduce yourself to a grown woman you haven’t seen for a few decades?

 

Tell her: hi, it’s me, your prince!

 

Ji hyo might have laughed or would probably be disappointed that she lost her mysterious prince oppa and his puzzles. Now that she’s old enough to decipher things, she wouldn’t mind a few more clues. Or a few more puzzles. She wouldn’t mind knowing a bit more or getting anything and everything she could.

 

She understands, she really does and she isn’t angry… but after those, after the incident… why is it bothering her that Jong kook is back into the man she had first met in this school?

 

The droplets are becoming insistent but the female teacher paid it no attention. She was just staring ahead in frustration.

 

“Yah! Song Ji hyo, are you nuts?”

 

A mad, red face and huffing Jong kook with an uncharacteristically big and orange umbrella stepped up in Ji hyo’s view. He walked closer until Ji hyo couldn’t feel the droplets anymore. It was then that she felt the cold and shivered.

 

“You’re still like…” he paused. Ji hyo could guess what he was about to say and it has something to do when she had been a kid. “You’re still getting lost.” With a sigh, Jong kook took off his jacket and wrapped up Ji hyo like a big spring roll. He handed her a hanky which she timidly accepted. She tried to glare at him although the shivering was sadly taking away its intensity.

 

For a while they just stayed there in silence. Ji hyo -- a wet mess but trying hard to glare at the PE teacher. While Jong kook looked pained as he stood in front of Ji hyo holding out an outrageously colored umbrella. When it was clear that Ji hyo wouldn’t talk or budge, Jong kook took her hand. His palm is warm against Ji hyo’s. And he’s being too gentle and careful that Ji hyo couldn’t even yank her hand away. “You can’t get sick… please.” And any thoughts of pettiness went flying out the proverbial window at the pain in his voice. Surely, Jong kook can’t still be blaming himself for that incident, right?

 

She allowed herself to be dragged away, unconsciously leaning close to the warm body. All she could see was the man’s back. She had been dragged and carried before by the same back, though it was thinner and smaller back then. She followed him everywhere but the truth was, it was him who always followed her. He just stayed in front to make sure the road is not a danger to her. Living in a sprawling forest estate isn’t exactly child proof despite all the grass that can catch your rolls and falls.

 

Until now he keeps on finding her, keeps on being in her mind. She missed him. She doesn’t know him anymore but he’s still familiar. What he’s doing felt like it already happened before. And it was very safe and left her warm from the inside…

 

Why?

 

Why?

 

She halted in her steps, squeezing his hand. “Prince oppa?” he didn’t turn to look at her, but it was better because Ji hyo didn’t know if she could ask and watch his face at the same time, “why were you avoiding me?” So… why did you look for me?

 

The only indication that the muscled man heard was the stiffness and tension in his broad shoulders. He squeezed her hand back. (Safe, secure, warm promises) Ji hyo is very confused but it was all those emotions making her believe even in just a little squeeze. “We’d talk Ji hyo… but not here. I promise my p-prin…” he sighed and continued to walk towards the dorms, “we’d talk Ms. Song, I promise.”

 

Ji hyo couldn’t help but smile as she allowed the man to pull her away again. If her steps have been lighter than before or if they are still holding hands even if they’re now walking side by side willingly, no one spoke nor did they let go of each other’s hand.


I got a new job... and I got my weekends back. I'm very happy with the changes and I feel more confident in my new work... so I will do my best to finish my stories here one by one. I hope you enjoy reading. Thank you so much and sorry for the long wait ^^