RM-ABS 37

Running Man All Boys School

Ji hyo let the wind wash over her as she slumped on her bodyguard’s back. This is all she had. A little time to grieve and let her feelings take over. Ji hyo is not yet ready. Might never be ready at all, but she has to face the fact that her dad might not make it. And someday he will leave her just like her mama did.

 

It was two hours away from the hotel where Ji hyo’s search party was staying but the travel felt longer. As soon as Ji hyo reached her room, a physician went to check her up. Water was into her hand. There was a steaming soup presented to her and Ji hyo didn’t even know when she had taken a seat. When the activity around her became too much, she tuned out everyone and focused on getting better first.

 

The doctor left after making sure Ji hyo is fine and that someone would continue giving her water. Her Pa’s head of security entered her room and despite the man’s intimidating bulk, he flashed Ji hyo a kind smile before schooling his face into stoic professionalism. He was already around even before Ji hyo had been born and though he looked older now with flecks of gray in his dark hair, Ji hyo still felt safe around him. He was the kind of man who would give his life to protect the Cheons and has literally taken bullets for them more times than she could count.

 

“What’s our situation, Chief?” Ji hyo asks.

“We were sent to retrieve you madam, which we already accomplished. The Chairman’s aircraft distress signal went off six hours ago. We already have people enroute to the last known location. My most trusted men are sweeping the ranks, we suspect an inside job. Your PR team is preventing any leaks to the public on the situation.” the man dutifully responds, voice void of any emotions but Ji hyo had been around him for years. The Chief was her father’s friend and she knew the man was simmering in anger and regret.

 

“It’s that bad huh, Chief?” The man nods and Ji hyo slumps further into her seat. “I want daily reports. Get me our best detectives; have them wait at the hacienda. I’m going home… and Chief, don’t be so hard on yourself. He wanted you here; you found me, he would be happy.” The Chief nods once and leaves Ji hyo in her room. She knows it’s useless but as soon as she was alone, she calls her dad.

 

“Hey pa… they found me. You found me. I’m going to go home, gonna follow your stupid wish.” Ji hyo was alone so she thought, it was okay to stop stopping the tears. “You told me Pa to hold the fort. I-I don’t like it Pa… but I’m gonna do it. Gonna make you proud.”

 

Ji hyo takes a shuddering breathe, blinks through the tears and closes her eyes, sees her father and flashes of him. How could she live without her amazing dad? “Please come home Pa. I love you so much, but… b-but if you, can’t anymore--

 

“Tell mama… that I said hi. That I love her too.” she whispers, ending the call that went straight to voicemail. How Ji hyo wished it was just a bad dream, that any second now her Papa will call back and reassure her that he’s not gone. She knew if this was just a bad dream, her Papa will insist on coming no matter where he is. That just how her Pa is… he once canceled a meeting in Australia and turned back home as soon as they had landed in the nearest airstrip just because Ji hyo said she needed him.

 

Without really thinking about it, Ji hyo made another call which also went straight to voicemail without even ringing. She took a deep breath, unsure of what to say…

 

“O-oppa, I… you told me, you said you won’t leave again.” More tears flowed, anger despair, loneliness… regret. Intense longing flared followed by dying hope. “Y-you promised you wouldn’t leave!” she shouts in pain.

I think I’m… in love with you.

 

---/:::::/---

 

The flight back to Korea was uneventful. Ji hyo went straight to their house, to her Pa’s office specifically where his assistant was waiting. The woman was impeccable as always but her eyes betrayed her real emotions. The legal team was also there with papers for her to sign which took almost an hour. At that moment, Ji hyo was appointed acting Chairman, to be made permanent if the three month mark passes and her father is still missing.

 

Ji hyo went through the motions in a practiced way, face in a hard mask, not speaking unless necessary. Her father’s assistant took care of the details. After the hoard of legal and formalities was done, Ji hyo called in the security team. “Ms. Lee,” she calls the assistant. “Move the board meeting later this week. Just give me enough time for the Chairman.”

 

“Of course madam.” the secretary smiles, but never left Ji hyo’s side. Men in various states of clothing went in. The detectives were in leather jackets and jeans. The security team in rumpled suits. There were some in full combat gear and her father’s friend, a General in the military was also present. Ji hyo looked them all in the eye and motioned for the people to sit.

 

“Gentlemen, and women, you all know why you are all here. Mr. Cheon Sanggu was reported missing two days ago. The last known contact was a distress signal sent at 10am that day. It was believed to be the time when the aircraft crashed. People were deployed and they saw parts of the aircraft, exploded. And signs that it was deliberate. My people will continue to search but I need more to explore nearby islands. Even reefs, anything where people can stay. We are looking for a PE teacher, Kim Jong kook and my father, Cheon Sanggu.” At Ji hyo’s statement, the security nodded.

 

“Mr. Park, Mr. Bo, I need your team to find the moles. My security team will help you. I was kidnapped five days ago at Running Man High, start there. I have suspicions that whoever did this wanted my father dead, and I was just bait. The details of my kidnapping are with the Chief, he will tell you more.”

 

“Of course Ma’am, we will report to you everything we could find. We will make sure these guys are caught.” The older detective said, giving Ji hyo a gentle fatherly smile which Ji hyo appreciated.

 

“Ji hyo-yah,” the general started, walking closer and giving Ji hyo a small hug. It’s one of her father’s oldest friends. People said the General got help to reach his position but Ji hyo knew they were all lies. “I will send some men to look and turn over all the rocks until they find Sanggu. I still have some clout I could use for that and tons of leave.”

“Won’t that be dangerous for your career Uncle?”

 

The general shook his head and smiled. “You know Ji hyo-yah, your father is a good man. There are Special Forces personnel who will look for him even without my permission. Because your dad has many friends and even in the military, there’s a lot who owe him their whole career. So no worries, it will be a quiet operation. We will bring him home.” The general said, mentioning a Captain Si Yoon fellow. He gave her another hug then left. The others also offered reassurances then went to their tasks. Until only the Chief and her Pa’s secretary was in the room with the young heir.

 

“I could feel that he’s just lost somewhere.” Ji hyo murmurs, “What are the chances of finding him?”

“Madam, we have so little hope but we have the best men looking, even locals. I also looked into Mr. Kim’s background. He would know how to respond to crisis. He was trained for it, like you when you were young and he was a calamity response member once.”

“So you think they will come home?” Ji hyo asks unsurely.

“Yes madam. I believe we can find them.”

 

Ji hyo knew it was just words, but she felt oddly comforted, even hopeful. She turned to Ms. Lee with a curt smile. “What’s the most urgent thing I that needs my attention, Ms. Lee?”

The woman smiles back, and gave her a folder on her father’s latest dealings.

 

---/:::::/---

Day 1:

Ji hyo didn’t know how bad exhaustion could get. She had training but not the experience to run a multi-billion empire, plus the stress of the events was getting to her. She still listened to hourly updates, met with the board member and reassured them all with a vague reason for the Chairman’s absence. The internal team decided to declare the Chairman under a little stress and was ordered by the doctor to take some vacation. Deliberate rumors were also spreading that this was the older Cheon’s way to train his heir and to ease Ji hyo to the position.

 

After the longest day of Ji hyo’s life, she was finally ushered out of the office by a mad Ms. Lee and was told to rest. For a while Ji hyo just stood there, looking confused. “Where?” she murmurs… she’s just so tired. The house is too empty even with teams of people camping on the first floor that was tuned into temporary base of operations. The school was too far and it’s already so late but it would be nice to have Kyung soo near, and to see her kids too.

 

“Noona!” A familiar voice calls and Ji hyo thought she’s now hallucinating so badly. Must be the exhaustion she thought. “Hey, noona?” not Kyungie says. It just felt so real and she wished it was. “I’m really here Ji hyo noona. I’m Kyung soo. Your big bad body guard took me here, told me you were back and I gave them an earful for not telling me sooner. I am so glad you’re here now you know… shh, it’s okay noona. I know hyung… he will be back.” Kyung soo whispered over and over again and Ji hyo just let him talk let the familiar voice wash over her as she clung tight to her friend. And before she knew it she was sobbing, was being dragged to her room. Then she couldn’t remember anymore.

 

She just knew she’s not alone and it was enough to lull her to sleep.

 

---/:::::/---

 

“Hey good morning!” Kyung soo smiled brightly, holding a tray full of Ji hyo’s favorite food. Ji hyo’s stomach greeted the offering with a loud growl. Without a word, she dug in to the feast. If not for the place, it was obviously not the dorms, it could’ve been just another day.

 

“Hey noona, I don’t know what to do. But a person once told me, she doesn’t know how to help but if she could, if there’s anything she could do, all I have to do is say something. I want you to know noona, so would I. Just tell me, anything.” Kyung soo said his eyes full of anguish and worry though his smile was still there. Ji hyo could feel her eyes warming but all she could do was squeeze Kyung soo’s hand, the unsaid gratefulness hovering in the air around them.

 

“The kids are okay noona. Chef volunteered to take over for as long as I’m needed here and I will stay noona. Even if it’s only to make sure you eat and I’m pretty good at managing stuff. You got a wonderful secretary and I already have some tasks from her. I’ll organize the reports, see if there’s something. A fresh eye might help you know…”

“Thank you Kyungie.”

“Aww, noona. You are my best friend, and so is hyung. Of course I will do anything to help bring him home.”

 

The day passed in the same manner like yesterday. Ji hyo was swamped with meetings, which was thankfully held in video conferences. She didn’t really fancy going out. At lunch Kyung soo served everyone his specialties lifting their spirits greatly. Ji hyo ate with the detectives and the security team. The General were on radio silence, taking some leave to search for her dad so she knew that end is as good as it could get. The detectives are following leads, but there’s nothing concrete yet.

 

At the end of their lunch, Ji hyo was nowhere as close as to finding her father or catching those responsible but it still felt something.

 

After everyone was out, Ji hyo picked up the envelope Ms. Lee gave her yesterday. It was on their gas company that was previously owned by Jong kook’s family. It was now theirs but the people running it was still there, only the ownership changed. Suddenly, Ji hyo felt like this is one missing piece. Jong kook… or rather, someone connected to him might have the answer.

 

“Ms Lee?” she said to the intercom. “Can you give me a list of all properties and companies we acquired from the late Kim Mo Hyun? He was a mogul--- yeah, that one. Please bring it as soon as you can. Thanks.”

 

Ji hyo had watched a lot of dramas and she knew it doesn’t happen in real life. But when you have nothing at all… even if it feels so unreal, what choice does she have but grasp anything, any leads at all. Even if… her Pa don’t make it, at least Ji hyo vows, she will make sure justice will be served.

 

After an hour, Lee brought her a list. Kyung soo was her sounding board, his eyes going wide when he was handed a copy of the list.

 

The gas company was under a buy-out deal. A certain Mr. Park is trying to buy it from the Cheon Empire but the deal doesn’t look promising. The reason listed by those in favor not to sell was they will earn more in continuing the operations compared to selling. Ji hyo reviewed the others in the list. Her family acquired around 18 properties from the Kim’s after their financial collapse. Some properties were sold to them at low rates even during the heydays of the Kims. It was around the time that Ji hyo knew Jong kook’s parents were having gambling problems.

 

Someone was buying the properties of the Kims back. The gas station was the last one that they haven’t sold yet. But it didn’t make any sense. It was just a gas company and it’s not even doing so well. It was not yet denied for selling. Ji hyo didn’t even know that they owned the family manor of the Kims or the… Ji hyo’s eyes widened at the last item in the list that she didn’t notice at first glance.

 

Running Man All Boy’s School lands was previously owned by the Kims. It was being bought but was denied, no records of negotiation, just a flat out denial.

 

“Kyung soo… someone wants to see us fall.” Ji hyo says in shock, dropping the papers to flutter to the floor. And Ji hyo could see it now. It felt like a hard punch to the guts. This is what happened to Jong kook. He lost his family, lost their company, lost everything and now, it’s happening to Ji hyo.

 

She could see it. Without her Pa, it would be so easy for people to topple her over. Ji hyo will do her best… but she couldn’t help but remember how Kim Mo hyun looked when he lost his son and when his family’s hard-earned business collapse one by one. Ji hyo knew if she looked in the mirror, she will have the same expression like the older Kim.

 


I know it's late update gosh, I'm real sorry (hides) but I guess we'll end at chapter 40. I will do my best to finish this real soon. And I noticed I've been here for 4 years, it's my anniversary today of writing and reading fics.

Anyways, Happy Reading and Thank You! :-)