His Excessive Favoritism - Be Your Everything Part 3

Excessive Favoritism

Another month has passed since Kris and Seohyun had been very busy with each others’ lives. It meant lesser and lesser time to spend together for the both of them to the point that they have only seen each other twice during that month.

Kris was not also able to keep in touch with Jessica that much since Jessica had to go to California week after another due to her family’s company’s new advertisement. Thus, Kris divulged himself to work and studies. No one says that becoming a doctor is easy; one has to know how to manage his time, mind, and emotion very well.  Good thing he is one, but cannot deny himself that when dead hour strikes, his dongsaeng Seohyun automatically visits his mind.

On the other hand, Seohyun has been very busy with all the charity works in the hospital. It’s her passion to help others, especially kids. She fits to become a Pediatrician though her ultimate dream is to become a trauma surgeon someday. Though her job eats her entire time, Luhan never leaved her side and consistently visits her every afternoon. He goes straight to SNUH right after his work. He’s a new Mandarin teacher in an exclusive girls’ school somewhere in the affluent Gangnam- gu.

‘’Sorry I’m late!’’ Luhan apologized as he rushed inside Seohyun’s consultation room. Seohyun looked at the wall clock across her, it was 6:03pm, then she laughed at her deer-eyed friend and jokingly answered him, ‘’I hate people who are late!’’

‘’Sorry! Sorry! I’m really sorry Seohyun.’’ He was really sorry that he kept bowing to her without noticing that he was still wearing his biker’s helmet.

She kept laughing until his helmet fell off from him. ‘’Silly Luhan-oppa!’’

‘’I’m really sorry, Hyun. I promise I will not do it again…I’ll even be here thirty minutes before six.’’ He was obviously anxious even if he already heard that the latter was laughing at him.

‘’Over! What up with you?  As if you’re one hour late oppa!’’

Then he sat across the seat from where she was and looked at her intently, then he spoke, ‘’A real man doesn’t make a girl wait for her, Hyun. You cannot blame me if I feel bad for being three minutes late.’’

He has a point there, something that made Seohyun think about for a minute. Her Kris-oppa suddenly sprung out her mind again, ‘How is he doing now? No calls, no messages…it has been a month.’

Then a slender hand waved in front of her face beckoning her to get back into trance because she was spacing out so sudden. ‘’Hyun, are you okay? Is there any problem?’’

‘’N-no.’’ she denied, ‘’Nothing Luhan-oppa.’’

‘’Where do you want to eat dinner tonight?’’

‘’Instant Jjajangmyun would do Luhan-oppa, no time for long dinner this night…I need to review for my comprehensive exam tomorrow morning.’’ She heaved a sigh, obviously exhausted.

‘’Even trauma surgeons treat themselves for a good food Hyun. That’s your only reward for yourself.’’   He gently put his index finger on her forehead, and continued reminding her, ‘’…I don’t want a zombie doctor Seo to treat me if I get sick in the future.’’

‘’Don’t underestimate my immune system Lulu-oppa…I survived being an intern in this infectious disease hospital, and now I’m almost done with my first year of clerkship in here.’’

‘’I’m not Hyun, it’s just that I see how you slowly neglect yourself more and more each day.’’

She lowered her head as she thought of Kris again.  Then she began, ‘’Luhan-oppa, only Kris-oppa calls me Hyun.  Please just call me Seohyun, I’m not really used to it if other people aside from Kris-oppa calls me that way.’’

‘’Uh…I-I’m sorry.’’ He was completely thrown aback; he was not expecting that he will encounter such straightforward attitude from her. Hence, he knew his and Kris standing in her life.

It’s still Kris, how frustrating.

He sheepishly smiled and rubbed his nape, he couldn’t deny how awkward he was feeling at that moment, ‘’It-it’s okay SEOhyun. Seohyun, I’ll keep that in mind. So let’s eat?’’

‘’I’m sorry...if I’m not in my best mood today Luhan-oppa.’’ She too apologized when she realized that she might have offended him in a way.

‘’You don’t have to, I understand…it’s obvious that you’re tired.’’ He stood up from his seat, stood behind her and playfully massaged her shoulders, ‘’Dr. Seo should eat well tonight, as in really well. Let’s go?’’

She stood up and grabbed her wallet on the table and went out of the consultation room with him going to the instant Ramyun vendo machine near the end of the hallway of the hospital’s main floor.

Though both of them only ate instant Jjangmyun and Jjampong it did not matter to Luhan, for he’s happy spending alone time with her. Conversely, his presence at least gave her some feeling of ease that someone’s still there to keep her company, though it wasn’t really like how it feels when she’s with Kris.

They were in the middle of their dinner, chatting ,and were heartily laughing together since Luhan’s been telling Seohyun silly joke about his life as an exchange student in Yonsei, when she noticed a familiar tall figure of a man on the opposite side of the seemingly endless blunt hallway walking towards their direction, it was quite dark that she has to intently look at the man.

‘’…and you know what? I think Dongguk goal-keeper is gay he doesn’t block when I ’m the one to strike – ‘’ he stopped when he saw a bright smile that suddenly made her face lit up then he looked to where she was looking.

‘’Hyun.’’ It was Kris, who was coolly walking towards their direction. His hands were in his lab coat’s pockets, and were also brightly smiling for seeing her, though it was also evident from his eyes that he was likewise restless.

‘’My favorite dongsaeng. How are you doing now?’’ Kris automatically brushed her long wavy hair with his fingers.  

‘’Luhan-oppa and I are having dinner together. We’re almost done but you can still join us. I’ll eat another one so you won’t feel lonely.’’ Her mood was obviously boosted up.

‘’Small dark circles, big dark circles…Hyun, tell me. Do you still sleep these days?’’ the tall young physician noticed Seohyun’s tired eyes.

Then she suddenly trailed her fingers around Kris’ eyes, and imitated him, ‘’Small dark circles, big dark circles…Kris-oppa, tell me. Do you still know what sleep is?’’ then she childishly stuck her tongue out.

‘’You just missed me, don’t you?’’ the tall physician suddenly pulled her to his side and wrapped his arm around her shoulders and began ruffling her hair nonstop.

‘’Who said that? Dreamer!’’ she playfully .

‘’Hyun is too obvious…that’s why it’s too easy to notice.’’

The deer-eyed gentleman purposely scoffed to get the other two’s attention; he was being set-aside because of Kris. ‘’Dr. Kris, what’s up? It’s been a a month since we last saw each other.’’

‘’Yeah, It has been a month Luhan…’’ his spoke with his voice trailing off remembering the last conversation they had a month ago about Luhan courting Seohyun. And it was obviously off to see Seohyun with him in the evening.

‘’It’s good that you’ve visited Hyun tonight.’’ He placed a bill in the Ramyun vendo machine’s bill collector, ‘’…I’ve been busy these days. The ward that I am currently assigned in is very demanding, patients comes in nonstop and case presentations really takes my life in the evening.’’

‘’I’m directly going here after work for a month now…actually.’’ The deer-eyed gentleman admitted.

Kris gave a confirming look to Seohyun, then she answered timidly, ‘’N-neh Kris-oppa.’’

He never expected that Luhan would seriously make his own move on his own.  Knowing this made him feel the real pressure. He couldn’t bear his imagination of Seohyun being close to another person. Though it’s selfish, and though it’s still unknown to everyone, he wants her for himself. He loves her more than just a friend.

‘’Ah…’’ he felt suddenly anxious and jealous that couldn’t say a word about it.

‘’Kris-oppa, why did you never visited me even once?’’

He withdrawn his arm that was wrapping around her shoulders, and briefly thought about his answer to her before answering her, ‘’Oppa is just too pre-occupied these days…I’m just like Hyun.’’ He lied, sliding his hands inside his lab coat’s pockets

 ‘’Will you visit me this week?’’

This time Kris looked at Luhan before he answers her, he wanted to say yes but the way how Luhan blankly stares at him beckoning him that he should hold back. But it’s still up to her if he’s going to visit his dongsaeng or not.

‘’Let’s see each other, when we see each other, Hyun. I’m sorry but Oppa is kind of busy now.’’  Then he swiftly excused himself and leaves the two.

There meeting was so brief that Seohyun find it really weird. She knows that no matter how busy her Kris-oppa is, he would make time for her.

Perhaps I’ve been expecting a little too much from him, aren’t I?

 

 

 

 

During the weekend of the same week, Luhan intentionally visited the hospital earlier than usual. He wanted to keep his promise to Seohyun, and he wanted to have a one-on-one conversation with Kris.

Kris was in the middle of his afternoon rounds in the Tetanus ward when Luhan came and approached him. ‘’Dr. Wu…’’ he held on the taller gentleman’s shoulder, ‘’…let’s talk after that.’’

By just hearing his tone, Kris knew that Luhan’s concern was something about Seohyun again. He finds Luhan dumb, he’s being busy is already an advantage for the deer-eyed gentleman. In his point-of-view, he should be making the most of it while his rival is pre-occupied with some other matters, but Luhan was not.

When he finally finished doing his afternoon rounds, both of them headed to the hospital’s café. On their way, Kris did not say a word nor make a sound which made Luhan a little annoyed to him.

‘’Aren’t you going to say a word to me?’’

‘’ I would sound gay if I ask how have you been doing, besides I really don’t have anything to say to you Luhan-ssi.’’ they got their orders in the counter, then they walked to a table for two adjacent to the glass wall of the coffee shop.

‘’You, you’re just in the same hospital with Seohyun…how come that you’re not seeing her every once in a while?’’  The deer-eyed gentleman asked as they sat across each other.

Kris took a sip of his hot green tea and answered him, ‘’…We are too pre-occupied with our own commitments Luhan, even if I and Seohyun are close to each other doesn’t mean that we have the same schedule.’’

He couldn’t look straight to Luhan, since he was making an excuse. He’s been trying to avoid Seohyun, he’s been taking advantage of his blockbuster schedule in order to excuse himself. And being with his rival was really a pain in the neck..

‘’Should I consider that as the lamest excuse? I know you Kris, you’ll make time for Seohyun by hook-or-by-crook.’’

‘’No, you should be thankful that I’m busy.’’

‘’Really?’’ Luhan chuckled, as he hastily put down his cup of coffee frapped on the wooden table. ‘’Seohyun has kept on whining that night. She’s been complaining that she feels neglected by you for the first time.’’

‘’You’re jealous that my dongsaeng keeps looking for me.’’ Kris’ statement was sharp as a dagger, really converse from the calm tone that he used.

‘’Why are you doing this?’’ Luhan furiously strikes the table. ‘’…you’re already hurting someone’s feelings.’’

‘’Can’t you see the favor I’m doing for you?’’ the taller gentleman took another sip of his green tea, ‘’…you should be thanking me now. I’m giving way to you. Can’t you see that my absence is more convenient than helping you court her?’’

The deer-eyed gentleman remembered the moment when he asked the latter to help him court the young lady. Kris indeed got into his nerves that time since his favor was badly declined. But Kris paving way for him was really unexpected.

‘’I am a man and I see that you also like her Kris. I’m sport enough to compete with a rival equally. So why are you doing this?’’

‘’Hyun isn’t open to relationships yet. I consider her more than my own feelings. So if you’re thinking that I’m neglecting her. I’m not.’’

Kris’ mobile phone suddenly beeped, it was Seohyun: Oppa, I’ve finished my rounds early. I’m on my way to SNUH Coffee Shop. Do you have time?

He did not reply and put his mobile phone back to his lab coat’s pocket. Then Luhan’s mobile phone beeped this time, the message was also from Seohyun, ‘I’m on my way to SNUH coffee shop.’

‘’She replied on my message, she said that she’s on her way here. Aren’t you planning to stay a little longer?’’

‘’There’s no need.’’ He stood up and grabbed his cup of green tea then left Luhan alone. ‘’I still have things to do.’’

But before he could leave the coffee shop he met Seohyun in front of the glass door entrance, ‘’Oppa, I’ve messaged you. Why are you not rep –‘’

She was cut when Kris suddenly pecked her forehead and handed her his cup of green tea.’’ I just want you to know that Oppa really misses you a lot.’’ Then he left.

Seohyun got stuck in front of the café’s glass door entrance, looking still at the almost full cup of hot green tea he just gave her. Remembering how Kris purposely leaves his drinks just for her made her feel nostalgic.

‘’Seohyun!’’ she heard a familiar voice calling her name, Luhan was waving his hand beckoning her to go to where he was. So she walked her way toward his direction and sat on the seat across him.

‘’How’s your day?’’ he randomly asked not wanting to add up to the tension that Kris obviously did.

It took her a moment before answering, and as if she did not hear his question she replied, ‘’ Kris-oppa still leaves his drinks for me, but I will be happier if he will be able to spend a little time with us.’’

‘’Seohyun, do you miss Kris that much\?’’

She nodded. Obviously upset.

‘’I see that you’re too fond being with Kris.’’ He sighed as he stretches his arm in the air trying his best to look cool as he could, ‘’…it will be really difficult for your other admirers. You with Kris…it seems like there’s no space for another person.’’

He was jesting, but he wanted to see how the latter would react to his statement.

‘’It’s not that…I’m just used being with Kris-oppa. But these days he’s really acting weird.’’ She took a sip of her warm green tea.

‘’But what if he stays like that? What if he stays pre-occupied with other stuffs? Will you just be waiting?’’

The young lady did not answer him as she kept staring at the cup of green tea she was holding.

‘’Will you let another friend be close to you?’’ he asked her again.

‘’It doesn’t really matter Lulu-oppa…’’ she pasued for a second and watched the sunset from the glass window wall of the café.’’…I’m friends with anyone here in the hospital.’’

Obviously, she did not get what he exactly meant.

‘’…I mean be close to another person like with Kris, like Me.’’

‘’Huh?’’ she was surprised with his tone, he sounded so serious.

His hands started shaking under the table, but he chose to be brave and confessed, ‘’Look Seohyun, I-I like you. I just want to be honest with my motives to you.’’

As if a lump got stuck in she was not able to respond to him properly.

He looked at her intently and wrapped his hands with his, ‘’I’ve always liked you all along…I’ve started liking you just when you were just an intern here. It has been long enough, and i’m not planning to hide this from you forever. So, will you be my girlfriend?’’

She stared at him blankly, not understanding a word nor a sound that he said. She was pre-occupied with her thoughts of Kris

It was just when Luhan waved his hand in front of her, she did got back in trance, ‘’Yes?’’

‘’Yes? As in Yes? Yes!’’ Luhan suddenly stood up rejoicing as he pumped his fist in the air. ‘’thank you Hyun!’’ he suddenly embraced her. ‘’…I almost thought that this day will never come.’’

She could not exactly get what he meant by his words, and why was he suddenly too overjoyed, and most especially why did he address her Hyun again. She did not want to bother about it.

Little did she know she created a misunderstanding.