Out of Sight, Out of Mind?

Tutor Me

 

The weekend finally came around and Minseok had returned somewhat to his usual self.  He had been dedicating more time to his studies recently but I understood - he had an exam coming up next week and finals were only two months away. In fact, I would have to follow suit soon, a thought that made me heave a great sigh. Not too long until it was over, I supposed.

I got changed into my work clothes with a grin for once, excited to finally hang out with Minseok again after work, seeing as it had been quite a while. His odd behaviour earlier in the week just went by unspoken of, like it had never happened and I was quite confused, to say the least.

My 6PM-10PM shift at the restaurant that was a two-minute bus ride away from the apartment seemed to drag on, though. My glances at the clock failed to make time speed up like I prayed it would. Although relatively agitated this shift, it wasn’t overly strenuous, despite it being prime time for the evening meal.

 

I was managing just fine, perfectly fine, up until 8:57PM. With just over an hour until I was free, I was on my toes, notably more on-edge than I had been previously. The wind was nearly knocked out of me, though, when he walked in, at 8:57PM, with three friends of his.

It was Sehun.

Shown to their seats, the big-eyed dark-haired boy, the extremely tanned brown-haired boy, the handsome guy with a prominent nose and cheekbones and Sehun began chatting as they glanced over their menus.

 

He was in my area, at the front of the restaurant. It was my responsibility to serve them and I just couldn’t do it. I couldn’t face Sehun in this way, it seemed too…  awkward? I didn’t know, I just couldn’t handle that kind of situation, especially since I didn’t even know if Sehun and I were friends or not yet. Our relationship was far from strictly professional but I’d hardly seen him outside of our tutoring sessions, how was I supposed to act around him, in this kind of situation?

Ugh, he’s always had the upper hand. Life was getting pretty stingy in regards to its lemons lately.

 

Changmin, who had shown them in, smirked as he strode up to me from where I stood near the counter, half-hidden by a pot plant. “They’re all yours now.”

“No, please, hyung.” I begged. Changmin’s brow rose in question, so I elaborated. “I need you to take that table.”

“Why?” He asked, sighing as he planted a hand on his hip, making it clear he didn’t actually care to know the reason.

“I know one of them, it’d be too weird. Please, hyung, please!”

He shrugged his shoulders, unconvinced. “Sorry buddy, no can do. I’m swamped.” He strutted off.

Ugh. More like he was too lazy for it.

 

I glanced around in desperation, spotting Tiffany-noona, I sighed in relief, knowing she’d help me out.

“Noona~!” I called, heading in her direction.

“Yes, Lu Han?” She asked as she piled a tray with an order, cheerful as always. I took the tray from her with a smile.

“Could you look after the front end for me, please? I’ll take the back, I just really need you to do this for me. Please.” I gave her my best wide-eyed puppy-dog look, just to be sure.

“Sure!” she grinned, her eyes smiling as well.

I sighed in relief. “Thank you so much, noona! I owe you, big time!”

"Anything for you, Lu Han!” She giggled as she pinched my right cheek and headed towards Sehun’s table.

Crisis avoided, I tried to lay low for the rest of my shift, alternating between serving tables at the far end of the restaurant - away from Sehun’s table, hiding behind fake orchids and taking refuge in the staff room on my 15-minute break.

 

From my glances, though, it appeared Sehun wasn't really taken by Tiffany. It was weird, you could tell the other three boys had shown at least some interest in the attractive young girl but Sehun seemed indifferent. He wouldn't happen to be-? Maybe? Wait, why did it even matter?! I shook my head of such thoughts and got back to work.

There was a dangerously close call - when Sehun headed to the restroom - and I practically had heart palpitations as I hid behind the life-saving plastic orchids once again. I managed to go unnoticed by Sehun on his way through the restaurant to the bathrooms at the back. It was 9:58PM when he left his seat, though, and I was finally off-duty by the time he’d returned to his seat.

 

My relief palpable, I tugged my phone out of my pants pocket and headed towards the bus stop, calling Minseok. “Hello?” He shouted over the loud background noise from his end.

“Hey, Baozi! I'm just finished, you're good to pick me up in fifteen, right?” I half-yelled so he’d hear me as I got onto the bus.

“Yeah, don’t worry, I'll be there.”

“Okay, I-” I broke off as I spied a pair of eyes glancing back. Sehun and his friends must have just left the restaurant and were heading towards the parking lot. For whatever god-forsaken reason, Sehun had glimpsed back, meeting my eyes.

His eyes had widened in surprise and, despite being unable to hear, I could tell from the movement of his mouth he’d exclaimed, “Oh! It’s Lu Han!”

“Hello?! Lu Han?!”

I shook my head, returning to my phone call with Minseok as the bus roared into motion, leaving Sehun behind, both physically and figuratively - albeit temporarily. "Out of sight, out of mind" was how it went, right?

 

 

---

 

 

Agh, the intervals between each update are getting pretty loooong ._. I'll do my best to write more often!

Not to be a tease or anything, but the next few chapters are some of my favourites heheh ;D /bricked.

Thanks for reading and any shows of interest, it's all very much appreciated!! Especially those who voted for this silly old fic! I'm such a no0b I didn't even notice at first but thank youuuuu!! <3