Bubble Tea

Tutor Me

 

 

For the next month, I fell into a form of routine regarding college life and tutoring. I noticed considerable improvement in my Korean History results but I still wasn’t satisfied and I could tell Sehun wasn’t either.

“Okay.” He began as he approached me at our usual table in the library on a Monday, taking a seat. “Maybe we’re going about this the wrong way.”

I raised a brow in question, wondering what ideas he’d been formulating in his mind.

“You’d be getting almost full marks by now if it weren’t for the damned personality study.”

“Yeah, I know,” I sighed. “How else would we approach it though?” 

Sehun had spent hours trying to drill in the facts I needed to know and I could memorise them perfectly well, I just couldn’t seem to apply the facts to the question. It was a frustrating process, for the both of us.

“This may seem weird,” Sehun’s cheeks tinted a tad pinker. “But I’m going to tell you a story and I just want you to listen. You can close your eyes if you want, I guess.”

I nodded, closed my eyes and folded my arms, leaning against the table as Sehun began speaking. I wasn’t prepared, however, for the change in his usually softly-spoken voice that sent shivers up my spine as his voice gained a confident and enchanting tone.

 

“Taejong was a mighty and fearsome king with four sons of his own…”

I was amazed as I just sat and listened, suddenly able to envision the experiences and great triumphs of the heroic king. More than memorising or knowing vaguely about the facts and events of his life, I was able to understand, to feel and empathise with the words flowing from Sehun’s mouth and their meaning. I was in a trance-like state, losing track of time.

 

Sehun finished speaking and cleared his throat. I opened my eyes, sitting upright once again.

“Wow,” my eyes were wide and my imagination was active. “That was amazing.”

“Yeah?” He looked pleased with himself.

I nodded. “I think… I think I really understand now.”

The grin on Sehun’s face was almost contagious as his eyes formed cresent-shaped curves of joy. I returned to my poker-face, though, not wanting to show anything, especially not after the weird things I’d been experiencing this whole past month, no matter how hard I’d tried to dismiss them.

 

The week after I’d first met Sehun, I was fine. We were cool, we were over the awkwardness of the first meeting and everything was fine.

Not even a week later, on the second Wednesday since I’d met Sehun, he laughed when I’d jokingly cursed the entire subject to hell where it could be stepped on, puked on, spat on and…you get the idea. His laugh, though, had sent my heart a-flutter. I’d dismissed it as a random spasm of my vital organ, though.

Then, when his hand brushed mine on the Monday after that, a jolt of electricity seemed to race through my body, awakening my mind and enhancing all my senses so that I was better able to breathe in Sehun’s distinct scent. I figured it must have just been something to do with the carpet and static electricity or something.

The weekend before today’s lesson I’d been so eagerly waiting for today to come around, despite it being a Monday. I’d reasoned that the sooner today would come, the sooner it would be over.

I was startled out of my reverie when I spied something odd on the other side of the library.

 

“Hey,” I whispered, leaning across the table, motioning at Sehun to do the same, to get a better look at what I’d spotted.

“What is it?” He whispered back.

“That is Minseok, right?” I pointed with a nod of my head in the direction of the table where a boy who seemed to be Minseok was studying – or at least attempting to – but there was a boy leaning against his table, seemingly whining and complaining to the other boy.

“It looks like him, I’ve never seen the other guy before, though.” Sehun’s brow furrowed in confusion.

“I know right?! I don’t think he goes here. It’s weird, though, they seem pretty close but Minseok’s never introduced me to him.” As I spoke, the boy who had been leaning against the table sat in the seat opposite Minseok and began to look at him with questioning eyes. “Uh, they’re awfully close. You don’t think they’re-?”

 

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Sehun turn to look at me and I met his gaze. He was giving me an odd look, as though to say ‘Really, Lu Han?’ I shot back a questioning glance and he widened his eyes significantly.

It was then that I realised what he’d been meaning. I blushed slightly as I registered how close we were. 

I laughed. “You’re right, that’s ridiculous. Maybe it’s not even Minseok.” I shrugged, leaning back in my chair once again.

“Yeah, maybe.” Sehun shook his head before leaning back in his chair and getting back on track with a slight smile.

 

“Lu Han?” Sehun called as I had begun to walk in the other direction from the library.

“Yeah?” I turned to face him.

“Do you… Uh, would it be okay if we hung out now? Maybe grab a bite to eat, or a coffee?” His face flushed, seemingly out of nervousness and I couldn’t help but smile.

“Sure. How does bubble tea sound?”

“Great!” Sehun grinned.

 

We sat inside the chilled and calming café, Sehun with his milk bubble tea and I with my strawberry one.

An involuntary smile grew on my face as I took a sip.

“You really love bubble tea, don’t you?” Sehun asked, his head tilted.

I nodded in reply. “Always have. My parents called me ‘Boba’ for a few years of my life.” We both laughed at that. “Do you like it?” I asked, worried I’d chosen something Sehun hadn’t even liked.

He swirled a mouthful around several times, tilting his head as he did so, as though to test and think about whether or not he enjoyed the beverage.

I was slightly confused as I watched him – wouldn’t he have already known this by now? He’d taken several sips already!

Swallowing, he nodded. “It’s nice.”

I nodded slowly. “Yeah, it is.” I was convinced he was honestly insane.

 

“So, uh, you’re pretty young to be in college, or at least, to be a senior?” I gave voice to my observation, phrasing it more as a question than statement, though.

Sehun’s eyes darkened slightly as his eyebrows furrowed. He nodded.

I thought that’d be all he’s say on the subject but he added, “Since I was thirteen.” He fiddled with his bubble tea with both hands, his eyes watching his hands. “I was thirteen when they sent me three grades ahead.”

“Three grades?!” I exclaimed. “That’s crazy!”

Sehun cracked a smile. “Yeah,” He looked up at me. “Yeah, it was. From the age of thirteen, I was working, thinking and understanding at levels that were at least three years beyond that of people my age.”

“Wow. That’s… That’s impressive.”

“I guess.” He shrugged. “It was pretty hard adjusting, though. Being labelled a ‘child prodigy’ did no good to change my social outcast status.”

“That , Sehun.” I felt sorry for the boy, being able to empathise with him. “Kids are stupid, don’t worry.”

A soft smile appeared on Sehun’s face as he nodded. “You’re right. Enough about me, anyway.” He let out a laugh. “What about you? When did you come to Korea?”

 

I was taken aback by the sudden question. “How’d you know I’m not from here?”

“Uh, your name, your lack of knowledge about one of the most significant people in Korean history, your skills in Hanja, need I go on?” Sehun smirked.

I chuckled. “I was sent out here when I was 8.”

“Sent out?”

“It’s a long story.”

“I see.”

It really was a long story, one I hadn’t told anyone, ever. Kris and his parents were the only ones who knew of it. They hadn’t heard it from me, though. It was something I hated to even think about.

 

“Well,” I began after having checked the time on my phone. “I’d better be going.” I got up from my seat opposite Sehun, picking up my bag from beside my feet.

“Yeah, same.” Sehun also got up.

“So, I’ll see you Wednesday?”

Sehun nodded in reply. “See you.” He turned and began to leave.

“Sehun!” I called after him.

“Yeah?” He turned to face me, his eyes round and bright.

“Your jacket.” I handed him the garment.

“Right. Thanks.” He giggled before waving and turning to leave once again.

 

 

---

Really sorry about the long intervals between updates! Hopefully I'll soon be back to posting more regularly! Thanks for the support! <3