Friendship's a Two-Way Street

Tutor Me

 

Within fifteen minutes, I was delightedly disturbed from the awfully horrid drama I had resorted to watching by a knock on the door.

“Minseok!” I cried, surprising him as I let him in.

“What, no Baozi?” He asked, stepping inside.

“I knew you loved being called Baozi!" I winked, grinning as I playfully whacked his arm. "I knew itttttttttt!”

We both plonked down onto the couch, munching on some potato chips.

 

“So, Yixing was here today.” I began, attempting to sound nonchalant.

“Oh?” It still caught Minseok’s attention.

“Yeah, Kris brought him round.” I paused, tilting my head. “I knew Kris had been acting weird, actually, it just never clicked that something would be happening. Last night he made dinner and this morning he made me breakfast.”

“Are you serious?!” He exclaimed, in as much disbelief as I had been.

I nodded. “Anyway, so he was acting really weird, like… too nice and he was chirpier, too. And then he brought Yixing round and… and they tell me they’re dating.”

“Whaaaaaaaaaat?!” Minseok’s mouth formed an O-shape.

“I don’t know how long – I don’t think it’s been that long, Kris can’t keep secrets that well – but I just couldn’t believe it.”

“Wow, that’s crazy.” The older boy shook his head.

“To top it off, Yixing says he misses me and that we should hang out. We’re going out to lunch tomorrow.”

“And how do you feel about all of this?”

“I don’t know, Minseok. At first I was so mad – you know how much I hate being kept in the dark – but then Kris explained and apologised and now I see the logic in it... In being friends with Yixing again. There’re just a few things I need to speak with Yixing about, though.”

 

It was quiet for a bit as Minseok nodded, thinking as he munched on a chip. “How do you feel about Yixing?”

“I’m pissed off at him, to put it bluntly.” We both chuckled. “I don’t feel anything…romantic for him anymore, though. I’ve had enough time to get that out of my system.”

Humming, Minseok nodded again. “It’s good if you feel that way,” he gave me an odd look before adding, “it’s okay if you don’t, though.”

I shrugged. “I won’t know for sure, will I? At least, not until I speak to him tomorrow. I hope he’s ready for the earful I’m going to give him.”

Chortling, Minseok and I were distracted by the television program, laying the conversation to rest.

 

Yixing was on time, smiling as I opened the door for him. His eyes widened, though, at my glare as I locked the apartment and headed out with him.

The drive was silent, bar the crappy pop songs on the radio. I changed the station repeatedly, never quite satisfied with what was on.

Yixing chuckled as he drove. “Same old Lu Han.”

“No, not the same.” I crossed my arms, irritated that Yixing assumed he knew all about me just because of one tiny habit I’ve kept. What would he know about the Lu Han I am now?!

 

Shaking his head, Yixing continued to drive to the cosy café we’d agreed upon, both of us remaining silent until we arrived.

 

Taking a seat and placing our orders, I finally turned to Yixing, eyes narrowed.

He audibly gulped.

“What the hell is wrong with you?! How could you just throw something at me like that yesterday?!”

“I- I’m sorry, Lu Han, you just-” He began, stuttering.

“I’m not done.” I cut him off, not at all concerned with his explanation at this point. “Then you have the audacity to tell me you miss me. Who the hell do you think you are? Who do you think I am? I’m not some stupid puppy you can shower in love, abandon and then come back to with open arms and expect it to forget everything.

“Also, I see the way you’ve made Kris think I was the only one who didn’t want us to be friends again but you know what? I heard nothing from you for months. Nothing at all. Friendship’s a two-way street and you weren’t doing your bit so don’t make me out to be such a little coward when you could’ve done more. Or rather, you could’ve done something.” I crossed my arms as the waiter delivered our food to our table, as though on cue.

 

“Please enjoy your meal.” The awkwardly thin and tall, brown-eyed waiter said before returning behind the counter. Had I been in a better mood, I probably would’ve cracked a smile at his cute lisp.

“Lu Han, it was difficult. I didn’t know if you wanted to see me or not. You were so upset when I ended things, I wasn’t sure-”

“Sitting at home is not going to confirm any of that.”

“I’ve been busy, Lu Han. I’ve been so tired from dancing and training all day, every day. Why can’t you understand?”

I sighed. “I understand. I’m sorry, Yixing. I’m just so mad about all of this.” I paused. “The worst thing was how you and Kris just expected me to be like ‘oh, yep, great! Can’t wait for all of us to be the best of friends!’ and to just pick up where we left off or something. I didn’t even have the chance to talk anything through with you.”

“I’m sorry, Lu Han.” He scratched the back of his neck. “I didn’t think, really. We went about this the wrong way and I’m sorry but I genuinely want to be friends again. It doesn’t have to be so awkward between us.”

I smiled, nodding. “I just hope you realise it probably won’t be smooth sailing right back into friendship.”

“Of course.” Yixing smiled back and we both began eating.

 

Rant off my chest, I felt much lighter and more comfortable, able to keep the conversation flowing and avoid painfully awkward silences, no matter how dangerously close we came to them.

I lost track of time and exclaimed when I realised it was almost 3PM and I had to meet Sehun in the library at 4. “Oh, crap! I’m sorry Yixing, could you take me home now? I’ve got tutoring soon.” I rolled my eyes at that last part.

“Sure!” Yixing beamed.

---

 

 

I'm back! ^_^ Thanks for being patient <3