Sounds Reasonable

Tutor Me

I sighed in frustration, flinging my pen at my mind-muddling Korean History textbook and slamming into the back of the chair.

“What’s wrong, Luhannie?” Minseok asked, looking at me over his reading glasses, pausing in his revision of his Neurology notes.

“Absolutely none of this is sinking in,” I groaned. “I am so screwed come finals.”

“Hmm.” Minseok hummed, thinking for a second as he chewed on the insides of his chubby cheeks.

“What is it, Baozi?” I asked, using the nickname I’d affectionately given him after his plump cheeks, much to his own distaste.

He scowled. “I had a thought.” Placing his pen down, he furrowed his brows a moment before a smile budded on his lips. “I think it could work.” He nodded.

“What is it?” I repeated, sceptical.

“How about a tutor?” Minseok suggested.

“No. Absolutely not.” I shook my head viciously, crossing my arms over my chest.

“Lu Han-” He began to nag.

“No. I won’t,” I began packing up my things, preparing to leave. “Forget it.”

 “It’s our finals, you need to do well,” Minseok reminded me and I paused. “I’d love to volunteer, but I’m absolutely swamped. You understand, don’t you?”

I sighed. “Minseok, I really don’t want-“

“We all eventually have to do things we don’t want to. It’s a part of life, of growing up.” He cut me off, delivering his usual blast of cold, unrelenting truth.

“Don’t talk to me about growing up, you still look like you’re ten.” I muttered, crossing my arms.

“At least I don’t act it.” Minseok shot me a look as if to say ‘yeah, I went there’ before shaking his head as though to clear it. “That’s not the point, though. The point is, you need help and you can get it, so why not?”

“I don’t know, Minseok. I just don’t want someone looking down on me because they know something I don’t.”

“Don’t worry, Lu Han, their job is to help you and make sure there isn’t anything about the topic you don’t know.” He grinned. “Besides, I know just the boy, he’s brilliant for his age but he’s shy and keeps to himself. No judgement from him. I promise.”

I sighed, tapping my fingernails on the table as I considered Minseok’s proposition. I really do need to do well in these finals since they were my last and I had not struggled my way through this entire year to be let down right at the end. “I’ll give it a try, I suppose.” I said finally.

Minseok looked thrilled. “Great! I’ll give you his number,” he began scrolling through his phone. “But just hang on ‘til I’ve let him know what’s happening, okay?” I nodded and he read out the number for me as I entered it into my own phone.

“Okay,” My finger hovered over the touch screen as I bit my bottom lip. “So what’s this boy’s name?”

“Sehun,” Minseok’s lip upcurved in a smirk. “Oh Sehun.”

I entered the name in before putting my phone away.

“I’ve gotta go now,” I announced, packing my things into my bag once again. “So let me know when you’ve talked to this guy, okay?” The older boy nodded, pushing his glasses back up to the bridge of his nose and returning to his notes. “Thanks, by the way.” He hummed in acknowledgement and I strode out of the library, shaking my head as I considered what I was getting myself into.

Making my way to the room my next English class would be held in, I pushed all thoughts of this tutor aside. I could deal with that later and needed all the focus I could muster.

 

The bus home was exactly on time, to my delight, but was jam-packed with people. Crammed between a mass of bodies, I wondered if this was an ominous sign or otherwise.

I got off at the bus stop beside the apartment I rented with a friend, clutching my books to my chest as I entered the busy building. My Korean History issue sprung back to my mind and I groaned as I entered the elevator.

Maybe Kris will know what to do. I thought, pressing the button for the 12th floor.

 

“Lu Han?” Kris called from the kitchen the moment I walked through the door.

“You’re cooking?!” I asked, surprised. I hadn’t realised how hungry I was until I’d entered our apartment and the scent of food wafted in my direction, making my mouth water. “You never cook!”

“Hey! I’ve cooked before!” Kris protested.

“Yeah, once.” I replied, heading to shower before dinner.

With half my head and an elbow inside my shirt, my phone began ringing. Great. I fumbled like an idiot, – my arm now stuck in the sleeve – for the device before hanging up, seeing it was Minseok. I one-handedly texted him a sloppy reply.

5:47PM ME: Sooty I cane talk right now do text me pokey?

Finally getting my shirt on fully, I checked my phone, cursing autocorrect to the fiery pits of hell. Minseok, however, was clever enough – thank heavens – to unscramble my nonsense.

5:51PM BAOZI: 1. What the hell? 2. I figured you wanted me to text you, so I did. 3.Spoke to Sehun this afternoon, he’s willing to help. He’d prefer if you’d text, though.

Text?! Oh sweet dumplings, why would you want that?! It could be over within seconds, why prolong the awkward?!

5:52PM ME: Sorry, autocorrect just never learns. Okay, I’ll text him then.

 

“Xiao Lu!” Kris called from the kitchen and I threw my phone on the bed, dying for a good feed.

“Didn’t I tell you to stop calling me that, what is it now, four years ago?” I asked sarcastically as Kris handed me a bowl.

“No,” Kris replied after mocking thinking about it. “I don’t think you did.” He sat at the breakfast bar and began eating.

I chuckled and shook my head but wrinkled my nose as I eyed the noodle dish.

“Problem?” Kris spoke through his mouthful, graceful as ever.

“I was more in the mood for beef, not pork…” I trailed off, serving myself a portion nonetheless.

“I was supposed to know this how…?” Kris said, unfazed by my childish behaviour.

My lip upturned in a half-smile as I sat beside Kris, beginning to eat. “It’s delicious, though, thanks.”

Kris hummed in response, unable to speak around the food in his mouth.

 

“So,” he began once he’d swallowed. “What’s worrying you?”

I paused, my next bite halfway on its way to my mouth. “How’d you know something’s worrying me?”

“How long have I known you?” He turned to face me. “I could tell as soon as you walked in.”

I sighed. “Well, I’m really struggling with Korean History,” Kris and I both wrinkled our noses in distaste. “So Minseok suggested I get a tutor.”

“Sounds reasonable.” He nodded.

“Yeah,” I agreed. “But I don’t know if I want one.”

“Why not?” He tilted his head in curiosity and slight confusion.

“I don’t know,” I thought about it as I chewed. “I’ve always found the idea… intimidating. Someone so proficient, with enough confidence, that they can teach others.  It’s daunting, I suppose.”

Kris hummed once again, mulling it over before he finally spoke, his voice firm. “It’s be tutored or tutor yourself.”

I nodded, realising he was right; having no hope of understanding this topic myself, I had no other option. Time to swallow my pride and grab the outreaching hand.