Chapter Thirty Seven

You and Me: We're Dorm Buddies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Do you know why you have been sent to Woollim, Park Niel?”

“He’s deranged. Out of his mind. The headmaster can't see his students' potential. He did tell me, birds of the same feather, flock together. Presuming, by the way he thinks – he has positioned myself as someone without a value, ssem.”

“Without a value?”

“I feel like a trash bag. Not worth the keep.”

“What was it that you wanted to achieve back in Seoul High?”

“I am in no position of sharing it with you. I’m not supposed to tell. Didn’t my headmaster inform you?”

“He didn’t.”

“In that case, I will work harder.”

“Academic wise, you’re doing exceptionally well. The only complaint that I have received is regarding your issue with tardiness. Nonetheless, we have talked about that. Judging by the attendance details provided by your subject teachers, you have taken our constructive criticism, rather well and have developed yourself. Good job. I am proud that you have contributed to the school by helping out with the soccer team. Even though the role as a water boy has constantly been look down upon, always remember that each role is equally important and respected.”

“Are there any loopholes within my review? If there are any - are there ways for me to attain a better review, ssem? Just name it.”

“How about tutoring the students here? The non-academic inclined?” he initiated.

“Who’s failing?” I questioned, somewhat apprehensive.

“Let me check,” the headmaster flipped through the brown file, eyes flicking back and forth within the list. "Here are the lists of students with grades that are slightly below the average.”

I stood up, trying to have a good look at it. “Am I allowed to choose the student who I would offer free tutoring to?”

The headmaster nodded, handing me the list. I flickered a thankful smile. It felt like I was struggling with the whole idea of ‘cleaning up’ the that I have accumulated over the weeks. My mind registered the names, one at a time. Naturally, I was mentally crossing out the names that I have chanced upon.

“Myungsoo?” I widened my eyes, spacing out. “He’s not doing well with his grades, ssem?” Confused, I casted a glance for an explanation.

“Myungsoo was supposed to be enrolled into Seoul High. He came here to work on his dreams. He wanted to play for the school’s soccer team,” the headmaster explained, lightly smiling.  “In Seoul High, you have to excel in both. Myungsoo didn’t want to fare in his academics. That is why, there’s an imbalance.”

“You mean, in Woollim, it’s okay if the students’ academics are screwed?” I implied, staring right through the headmaster’s eyes. “Well, since Myungsoo isn’t exactly exceling in that particular field. I would assume that.”

“We have set a benchmark on the level of ‘how screwed you can go’,” the headmaster stated, taking the list back from my grasp. “You can be screwed but not to the point where you’re beyond hopeless.”

“So, Myungsoo’s beyond hopeless?”

“No! I didn’t mean it that way. Never mind.” The headmaster has grown impatient, hitting the table. “So, are you providing free tutoring or are we just going to work on something else to clean up on the review?”

“Guess, that might work,” I snickered, regaining a bit of hope.

The headmaster nodded his head, scribbling into the paper. “So, what’s the imbalance for you, Park Niel? What made your headmaster send you here, to my institution?”

“I steal potato chips from Seoul High’s vending machines,” I said, uninterested. “Well, yeah.”

“Just don’t do it here, Park Niel.”

“And I wanted to fare in soccer.”

“Soccer?” he said, astounded with the statement. “Are you sure?”

“Definite.”

 


“One week off academics!” Sungyeol flailed his arms in the air, chanting his excitement away. Woohyun and Myungsoo discussed excitedly, mentioning about their plans. “We are even allowed to head out to the malls, streets or whatever that we want. To be back before curfew and we will just need to sign some acknowledgment form and we’re all good to go!” Sungyeol continued, browsing through his laptop.

There were a couple of fanciful and mischievous musings going on in room 143. I was at the corner, arranging and sorting out the pile of mess. The mess created by all of my annoying, dormitory buddies. Clothes were strewn about, soccer balls lurking in every cornered space and leftover food packaging stood out in the most odd places.

“Damn, do you eat while you shave, Woohyun?” I peeled the chocolate wrapper, which has been huddled awkwardly to the electric shaver. “Because this is disgusting and ruins my appetite!”

“Lost lamb, that’s a good idea,” Woohyun smirked, tossing the dirty clothes into a bag.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Myungsoo snarled, throwing in a disgusted look, as he was making everyone’s bed with the newly provided bed-sheets. The school was hospitable enough to cater to the students’ needs by giving a new set for each student, every month.

Sungyeol rolled his eyes, commenting something under his breath.

“Yah, Sungyeol, give us a hand over here!” Woohyun complained, fluffing up the pillows. “Make yourself useful, man.”

“For your information, I am useful. Who knows the way around the streets? Me. Who’s working on our itinerary? Me. Who Google-mapped? Me!” Sungyeol snapped. “We need to have a plan, according to a specific budget. We’re broke. When you’re broke, you can't be freaking choosers.”

“Who says that we’re going to spend all of our free days with you?” Myungsoo snidely replied, earning himself a dirty look. Upon overhearing the conversation, Woohyun, Myungsoo and I burst out laugh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter