Gig

Viral Interaction

 

Jongup sighed as Daehyun slipped into his jacket, “You sure you want to skip out on dinner? We’re going to have your favourite.”

Daehyun checked his pockets to make sure he had everything ready as he replied with a warming smile, “I’m sure. I’ve bailed out on Youngjae too much and his been looking forward to this gig for ages.”

“Ah, okay,” Jongup said and added cautiously, “Does he know that you’re leaving to tour with the seniors?”

Daehyun didn’t answer until he reached the front door. He had been meaning to tell Youngjae the moment he found out but he couldn’t do it or whenever he wanted to bring it up Youngjae would be laughing again. He didn’t want to crush something so precious. The first thing he wanted to do was tell Youngjae but after seeing that infectious smile, he couldn’t do it. He would wait until the moment was right.

 He looked over at Jongup who was one of his closest friends in the dorm and shrugged, “He knows that I’m working on stage with the seniors.”

“Does he know that we’re going away for a couple months?” Jongup questioned.

Daehyun added simply, “I guess I’ll tell him tonight.”

“We’re leaving in a couple days, he ought to know.”

“Yeah, I know,” Daehyun muttered as he left the dorm.

“Stay safe Daehyun,” Jongup called out but he had already left.

 

Daehyun found himself standing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of people he didn’t know. If it wasn’t for the fact that Youngjae was there with him, he would have wormed his way through the crowd and leave the entire vicinity. Being squashed amongst complete strangers wasn’t exactly his idea of fun but he had to admit the vibe of everyone’s buzzing energy was invigorating. He hoped that one day perhaps he too could walk on stage with a sea of people just as enthusiastic and lively.

He felt a pair of hands squeeze his shoulders and turned to see Youngjae’s bright smile. He had been smiles throughout the whole entire night. Daehyun was suspecting that his cheeks were beginning to hurt but it didn’t seem to bother Youngjae who kept on beaming.

“How are you feeling?” Youngjae practically screamed out to be heard over the boisterous crowd.

Daehyun laughed, “Shouldn’t I be asking you that?”

Youngjae leaned forward and rested his chin on his shoulder and teased into his ear, “I’m not the one who looks like he’s going to pass out.”

Daehyun gave him an unamused face and replied, “I’m fine, I’m just getting restless; that’s all.”

Just as Youngjae opened his mouth to say something, the lights dimmed down and the crowd began to grow more and more erratic. But when the music that had been playing in the background had faded away, the crowd did the same, leaving behind an eerie silence.

“Wassap?!” roared a deep voice coming from somewhere on the dark stage.

Almost instantly after the outburst the crowd cheered fiercely. Daehyun could feel Youngjae’s fingers dig into his shoulders as he jumped up and down out of anticipation and excitement. If Daehyun had ever thought that Youngjae’s voice was loud, it was at least a billion times louder when he was cheering for Jepp. He looked up upon the stage where smoggy lights flashed across the stage as Jepp Blackman entered the stage in his usual baggy gear and cap.

Daehyun watched the man on the stage, ignoring the craziness of the fans; he took note on how Jepp owned the stage. Jepp had simply said one word and that one word was enough to send everyone into a complete frenzy. His confidence and charisma was practically oozing off from him and had the entire crowd wrapped around his finger.

“You enjoying the night so far?” he asked the crowd who replied with a hoard of cries.

“I can’t hear you,” Jepp mocked with a devilish grin across his infamous thick lips, “Come on, make some noise!”

The crowd screamed even louder when Jepp turned his back on the audience momentarily. He pointed over at the DJ who was hiding at the very corner of the stage and at Jepp’s control; the DJ began playing the rhythmic beat of one of Jepp’s most known tracks.

Daehyun stared up at the man who was living his dream. He didn’t want to rap but he wanted to perform, he wanted to be up there on stage. Daehyun wanted to know what it was like to be singing in front of a sea of fans who sat on the edge of their seats or in this case, stood on the very tips of their toes to get a mere glimpse of him. This was why Daehyun had so painstakingly spent endless hours practising how to dance, mastering his vocals and cramming in his studies so he wouldn’t disappoint his parents.

One day Daehyun would be up there on stage and all eyes would be on him but for now he was just going to enjoy the show. Or at least attempt to enjoy the show as Youngjae continued digging his fingers into his shoulders.