Happiness

Viral Interaction

 

“What’s your name?” asked the assistant working for TS Entertainment.

Daehyun hadn’t heard him; he was staring down at the list of people who planned to audition that day. He wasn’t good at math but he knew it was a couple hundred people. There was no guarantee that someone from his school would be signed along with TS but everyone was willing to try.

He could even hear the sounds of nervous chatter in the next room which only unsettled his nerves even further.

“Hey,” the assistant called out again as he waved a hand in front of Daehyun’s face, “What’s your name? I have to tick you off the list.”

“Jung Daehyun,” he replied sounding as if sandpaper had rubbed his throat dry.

The assistant quickly flicked through the list of names until he came across Daehyun’s. He grabbed a sticker and scribbled on Daehyun’s name with a thick black marker underneath the printed words TS Entertainment Audition 101. The assistant handed Daehyun the name tag and told him, “Stick it on your chest or on your thigh so it’s visible for the judges to see. Just head off to the auditorium and just wait for everyone else to be sorted. It shouldn’t take too long. Good luck.”

Daehyun could tell that the assistant was tired from working all morning but he thanked him anyway and scurried over to the school auditorium. He had been there many times for school assemblies but this time he found himself worrying about if he would get lost. Thankfully he didn’t at sat himself as far from everyone else as he could.

He saw the judgemental eyes of his fellow students as they snickered amongst themselves. They were probably questioning why Daehyun would turn up to audition for TS. No one knew he could sing, in fact no one really knew him at all. Even his friends at school weren’t aware that he was auditioning until he didn’t show up to his morning classes.

Those that were auditioning could take the whole day off school and Daehyun was thankful that none of his friends at school were going to audition. He really didn’t want to talk to anyone, in fear that he might see his breakfast for the second time that day.

The chatter dispersed throughout the room, emphasizing the nervous buzz within the room. Daehyun recognised some of the talented students who usually sang at school functions and began to wonder if he could ever beat them. He wasn’t like them, he wasn’t confident with his appearance, he wasn’t confident in his voice, he was only there really because of Youngjae. Because Youngjae was so determined that Daehyun could beat everyone.

Dressed in black skinny jeans, simple t-shirt, thick glasses and rather placid hair, he was no match compared to the girls with their flawless make up and designer dresses. Even the other males who wanted to audition were far better dressed than him, they had all come dressed semi-formal. Daehyun just wanted to go home or at least get this moment over and done with.

 

After what felt like hours the school principal waltzed on stage and the whole room fell in silence.

“Good morning everyone…well afternoon by the look of things,” he greeted in his usual fashion, “I’m sure many of you are sitting here ready to sing your hearts out. But before we do, let us give a warm welcome to the representatives of TS Entertainment who have come all the way from Seoul.”

The room broke out in applause as Daehyun tried to get a peek at the TS representative but couldn’t see much since he decided to sit at the back.  

“I’m sorry about the delay of things, we never expected so many students wanting to audition today. Now I shouldn’t waste any more of your time, let the auditioning begin!”

Again the room applauded and the anxiety in Daehyun grew. The panic and unsettled nerves left a foul taste in his mouth. All he wanted to do was get up and leave. He wanted to get out of that place as soon as possible.

He watched a couple dozen of his fellow students sing and in all of them, he could not find a single fault. Slowly he could see the room of students diminish as time went by and the need to escape clawed at his chest. He needed a way to get out of the situation and yet he stayed. He stayed simply because he couldn’t face Youngjae again and tell him that he decided to run. Youngjae was looking forward to Daehyun’s recount of his day and as a friend, he was determined to do it for him.

“Number 100” called out the TS assistant who had found a seat beside the representative.

Daehyun watched the girl hop up from her seat and approach the stage with ease. He couldn’t do that; he would trip over his own shoes. What if Daehyun tripped and the whole room saw? He couldn’t live with himself.  

He plucked his phone from his pocket and called for Youngjae. He was probably sleeping since he was meant to get another dose of his chemo that day but Daehyun was too nervous to care and he wouldn’t get mad at him if he woke him up.

One ear was listening to the girl sing and the other waited for Youngjae to pick up. But by the time the girl had finished performing and the room broke out in claps, Youngjae still hadn’t picked up. If he was nervous before, the feeling he felt in that moment was murderous. The butterflies in his stomach had turned to bricks and he could feel his throat suddenly tighten.

“Can number 101 come on stage please?” the assistant called.

Daehyun didn’t move, he couldn’t move.

“101, it’s your turn to audition.”  

Miraculously Daehyun rose to his feet and stuffed his phone into his pocket. The room watched his every move as he descended down the stairs. He was careful to look down at his feet to make sure that he wouldn’t foolishly stumble over anything.

The next thing he knew, he was standing on stage, facing the crowd with their watchful eyes and in front of the TS representative, the man who would either make or break his musical career. The man’s dark eyes moved up from his paper and over at Daehyun.

Daehyun hadn’t really paid attention to the other students so he wasn’t sure on what he should do. He merely stood there in his awkwardly in his plain attire and geeky glasses.

“So, Jung Daehyun, you think you can make it to TS?” he asked in a rather professional manner, free from biasness or any emotions at all.

Daehyun his dry lips which seemed to only make them even drier and replied in a rather small voice, “No.”

The slightest raise of a brow was all the representative did as he asked, “Then why are you here?”

“A friend told me I should audition,” he replied honestly.

The man let out something that looked like a snicker but had nothing to add. “Well then, let’s see if that friend of yours is really a friend or merely a tease.”

Daehyun cleared his throat or at least he attempted to clear his throat since the hoarseness was still there. The music began to play and his eyes fell upon the crowd. There weren’t as many people as there were previously but it was still enough to frighten him. All eyes were on him now and already he had missed the start. The nerves had gotten to him, he missed his intro and there was only one more count left before he would fail completely.

To calm himself he tore his gaze away from the crowd and shut his eyes, just like Youngjae said. He pictured himself in his room, on the phone singing to Youngjae. He imagined himself beside his friend, away from all his fears and his lips as he mentally counted himself in.

For the briefest of moments he thought he heard the TS representative open his mouth but was quickly silenced by Daehyun’s voice.

He sang with passion and he sang with his heart. He ignored everything in that room and simply enjoyed the moment of bliss as he sang for Youngjae.

When he finished he opened his eyes and was shocked to see some people in the crowd wipe a couple tears away from their faces. He blinked over at the TS representative and the slightest of smiles cracked upon his lips.

“Well,” the representative heaved, “It seems that your friend is not a tease at all. You have a very good friend Jung Daehyun.”

A beaming smile flashed across Daehyun’s face. Of course Youngjae was a good friend, he wouldn’t dare tell him to do something unless he was certain.

“Thank you for that, we’ll keep in contact with you if you’ve made it into the next stage in Seoul,” informed the assistant but beside him Daehyun could see the representative nod with a definite smile across his hard face.

Daehyun bowed deeply and scurried off stage and dashed out of the auditorium. The moment the doors shut behind him he let out a cry of joy. He couldn’t wait to tell Youngjae of his accomplishment and best of all he couldn’t wait to tell him that he was going to Seoul. He would finally see his friend in person. He would finally see him face to face and not over a screen or over the phone.

For the first time in Daehyun’s life he was completely and utterly happy.