Meeting

Viral Interaction

 

Daehyun was just like any boy his age; he would go to school every morning and return home after a long tiring day. He had his classmates and acted friendly to all of them but would consider none of them to be a friend. Daehyun wasn’t good at many things but one thing he seemed to have gotten a knack for was distancing himself from others. He didn’t like the idea of getting close to people. No one would ever understand him and his ways. He was too weird, too strange but he didn’t mind. He liked being different, it made him unique.

Day in and day out, he would go to school, get lectured by teachers, pretend to learn something new and then return home. Once home, he would be ignored by his parents unless they decided to nag him. Following that would be a couple hours spent aimlessly on his laptop and then sleep, only to wake up again to repeat the same routine.

Daehyun was getting tired of life. Everything was so unfulfilling. Even his love for music was beginning to dwindle. He had tried to fill his empty void with hobbies. He had tried watching movies, reading books, attempt to play an instrument but he got bored of the movies, he got confused with the books and he grew frustrated with the instruments. He needed something to brighten up his dull world.

Some people may have called it a coincidence, some may call it fate but Daehyun’s life would never be the same again after innocent surf through the World Wide Web.

 

He was sitting on his murky grey seat as his fingers tapped away on his laptop. He was meant to be searching for a topic for his assignment but what he and many other students did, he procrastinated. Daehyun found himself on Tumblr, lost in a sea of reblogs and posts. He had made an account on a whim but didn’t dare do anything on his blog as he feared of others mocking him of his insufficient knowledge on the site.

He had logged in and for the first time ever he had received an inbox notification. It was strange for him since the only thing he did on Tumblr was follow a couple blogs and skim through their blogs, being as inconspicuous as possible.

With great curiosity he stared at the red icon with a white ‘1’ written in the middle. The scarlet square seemed to almost shine into his eyes as he finally composed himself enough to click on it. It was probably some kind of spam mail, nothing to get excited about. But much to his surprise, someone called youngjeppblackman had inboxed him.

Hiya! Thanks for following me ^_^ Even though your blog is kinda …empty, I know you have awesome taste. You’re following me because I reblog Jepp Blackman’s stuff right? We should be friends, feel free to spam my inbox!

Daehyun read the message a thousand times as he tried to determine if this youngjeppblackman was being serious or if he was just kidding around. He never communicated with anyone on Tumblr before; no one had ever reached out to him. He was perfectly fine with being alone, watching from the corner of his room but now everything changed.

He typed, deleted and retyped his message a couple times before he was satisfied with his reply.

Hi, no problem at all. Jepp Blackman is such a talented rapper.

Without any further thought he sent the message and immediately regretted the last sentence. Only then did he realize how awkward he sounded but there was no going back now. He didn’t expect to get a reply back, youngjeppblackman was probably thinking about how much of a freak Daehyun was. He couldn’t help but shrug at himself; of course he would send an awkward message.

As he refreshed his page his inbox had a single message waiting for him. Daehyun didn’t wait as he opened his inbox to see that youngjeppblackman had decided to send him another message.

HE IS! KJASHDJKASDHAKSJD I LOVE HIM TO BITS! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN HIM PERFORM LIVE? SO MUCH ING SWAG THAT IT HURTS

A smile crept up along Daehyun’s lips as he attempted to read the jibberish youngjeppblackman had decided to send him. The random letters, the caps lock, Daehyun didn’t understand but still he found himself smiling at the stupid act. But how would he reply to such a message? He decided to type with the first thing that popped into his mind and sent it straight away.

Lol no I haven’t. Have you?

Daehyun found himself wanting to smack his head against a brick wall. He replied too quickly. Youngjeppblackman would probably freak out and wonder why this person was so eager with wanting to talk to him. Daehyun sighed at himself since he couldn’t do much anymore and began scrolling through tumblr. He was actually looking forward to what the person had to say. Daehyun didn’t even know anything about them and yet he was getting excited at the mere fact that this person would reply with something with their crazy passion splattered all over the keyboard.

I saw him once but AHSDJKAHSDKJASD HE WAS SO AMAZING. I DIDN’T THINK I COULD EVER SEE HIM LIVE BUT I DID. YOU HAVE TO SEE HIM ONE DAY. I PROBABLY SOUND LIKE IM BOASTING BUT IM NOT TRYING TO GUH SO MANY FEELS I CANT ANYMORE

Daehyun read the last sentence with a smile as he knew that it wasn’t simply cut off at the end. Youngjeppblackman was screaming so hard that they couldn’t possibly form the right words. Daehyun had never felt that way towards anything before, if he had to be completely honest he simply enjoyed Jepp Blackman’s work but he never considered actually seeing him perform live. He only really followed blogs that reblogged about Jepp Blackman simply because he enjoyed the vibe the rapper emitted. He was so cool and overflowing with confidence on stage yet if you were to see images of him off stage he was nothing more than a man. Daehyun had always found it intriguing that someone with such charisma was simple a man, just like himself.

Hahahaha no, it’s fine. He must have been great to see live. Wait, doesn’t he only perform in Korea? Are you from Korea?

He didn’t know why he asked questions, Daehyun just found himself being curious. If this youngjeppblackman wanted to talk to Daehyun then a conversation they shall have.

I am :D I’m from Seoul. I mean, I know Jepp performs in Seoul all the time but my parents actually let me see him. FINALLY OMFG I CANT BELIEVE IT STILL OH wait. I should have said this first. I’m Youngjae, nice to meet you

Daehyun read over the name carefully and concluded that Youngjae was in fact male. His fingers seemed to have almost fly over the keyboard as he typed up his reply, not too worried about his grammar at all since clearly Youngjae didn’t care.

Your parents don’t let you go out to concerts? Oh Seoul, I haven’t been there. I’m stuck here in Busan. I’m Daehyun :)

Unlike the couple times before, this time Youngjae seemed to have taken his time to reply to Daehyun’s message. At first he thought that this Youngjae had abandoned him and found better people to talk to but no, he replied all the same.

My parents are a little overprotective about me but it’s okay though. Busan? I’ve always wanted to go to the beaches there. Oh Daehyun, I have to go right now but tomorrow night will you be on? OH just add me on facebook, I’m always online there. Search Yuu Youngjae NIGHT NIGHT ^_^

Daehyun checked the time, it seemed a little too early for someone to hop off for bed. Perhaps Youngjae had chores or homework to do and had to leave. Either way, it didn’t matter to Daehyun. Now he was stuck with the option of adding Youngjae on facebook or simply pretend that he didn’t have one at all. But Daehyun decided to do it anyway; it was about time he tried to do something different for once. Maybe he wouldn’t be so socially awkward over the internet, after all so far he seemed to be doing well; even though Youngjae did most of the talking.

He found himself on Youngjae’s Facebook wall, looking through his profile photos. From what he could see in the images, Youngjae seemed to be around his age and really didn’t seem to go out much at all. Nearly all of his display photos consisted of him simply in his room, pulling faces at the camera. Daehyun couldn’t really judge him since he too was the same, only he never changed his display picture for what seemed like an eternity. At least Youngjae seemed to be a cheerful person, always pulling faces at the camera with dazzling smiles and his puffy cheeks the centre of attention.

As Daehyun skimmed through his wall he noticed at the immense amounts of wall posts. Most of them were from someone by the name of Kim Himchan, a man with a display picture of himself looking as if he had a pole riding up his but Daehyun wasn’t there to judge. In fact, why was he there in the first place? Daehyun didn’t know what he was doing, his curiosity lead one thing to another and by the time he turned off his laptop for the night it was in fact the early hours of the morning.