Chapter 12

Facade

Zaion’s POV:
On Sunday, things were sweet. Baekhyun made me breakfast in bed and helped me with my sore limbs. He filled my day with kisses and sweet words. Su-Young even came up to my room to read me a story from her book of fairytales. So magically, wonderfully, adorably sweet!

That was really nice and all, but Monday was the day I feared all Tartarus would break loose. That morning I began to feel sick before I even woke up.

“Zaion, get up! Get up! Get up!”

Baekhyun practically yanked me up by my wrists.

“Owie, Baek, that hurt!”

“Mian haeyo. I’m sorry. I just didn’t think this all the way through. Susu’s bus has to come to bring her to school. My parents might be out there.”

He looked seriously worried.

“I’ll take her to the bus.”

“But what if they ask questions?”

I smiled reassuringly.

“I’ll think of something. I don’t know if you know this but I am quick on my feet.”

We all got dressed and ready. Baekhyun looked pale and serious the whole time.

“If you want, we can walk through the back street after she’s on the bus.”

“Okay. Also, we might have to leave school a bit early to get Su-Young. I have a pass but I don’t wanna go alone.”

I nodded and grabbed Su-Young’s hand. Outside, the bright yellow bus was waiting. And so was Mr. Byun.

“Su-Young?” Mr. Byun called as he spotted us.

Su-Young hid behind my leg as her father came rushing toward us.

“Su-Young, don’t hide from appa!”

As he got closer, strong odors came from him. He smelled of alcohol and vomit, a mix I knew all too well. Su-Young gripped my leg tighter and I felt like throwing up, myself.

“Excuse me, what are you doing with my daughter?”

I was being put to the test now. Luckily I was able to quickly rack my brain for a response.

“Babysitting.”

“Why is Baekhyun not here? After all, I am a concerned parent. Is he safe?”

I gave a fake smile and sent Su-Young off on the bus, quickly moving her past her father.

“Well, I was just watching her while Baekhyun was taking care of business and working.”

I was so thankful for the lying technique and skill I developed over the years.

“By any chance could you tell me where he works so that I could pay him a visit?”

I was getting a bad feeling about this, but I didn’t let the bravado falter.

“I’m sorry, but I cannot disclose that information.”

“Well, how often does he use your services?”

This man clearly did not give up.

“I truly am sorry, but I cannot reveal any information by order of your son himself. I fear that I do not know much information anyway.”

Mr. Byun was clearly displeased.

“Listen, Mr. Byun, I have to go.”

Before I could leave, the man grabbed my wrist in a painful grip. He stepped closer, violating my personal space and forcing me to breathe in his awful fumes.

He pressed against me and whispered, “If you get any information, do not hesitate to tell me.”

Mr. Byun walked away back to his house and I ran to mine. I was shaking inside and when I got inside I took a deep breath of non-toxic air. Baekhyun ran over to me.

“Zaion, you okay? You look like you saw a ghost, what happened?”

I lost the words in English.

“Ne appaneun hwanja ibnida!”

That means ‘Your father is a sick man!’

“What happened?”

I told him everything and  he gave me a kiss on my forehead.

“Jeongmal mianhae yeobo. I’m sorry, sweetheart.”

I gave him a small smile and we headed to school, hand in hand, as we walked down the back road. As we neared the school building, my heart thumped in my throat and it felt as if my stomach was in my chest. I was a wreck.

Baekhyun squeezed my hand reassuringly and I felt a bit better a bit more calm. A bit.

When we entered the school doors we were greeted by Principal Greyson. I had almost forgotten about the punishment thing.

Because you turned the punishment into a prize.

“Good morning, Zaion. To you as well, Baekhyun. I would call you into my office but it seems the next meeting can wait”, he said, nodding at mine and Baekhyun’s intertwined fingers.

I looked down sheepishly. Greyson was about to say something but was cut off by a very loud and piercing voice. When I saw who it was, I felt the blood drain from my face.

“Hey, ZZ, miss me?”

Her tone of voice was like the hiss of a snake. Vianey ran at me and trapped me in an embrace of death. Her grip on me was tight and she was truly squeezing the air out of me.

I whimpered in pain and Baekhyun looked about ready to cut somebody.

“Uhm...Vianey, I think she’d had more than enough”, he said sternly.

Vianey glared at him.

“Anyway, see ya later, ZZ high-tops!”

I cringed at my other more embarrassing nickname.

When she walked away, Baekhyun grabbed my hand, half dragging me to my locker. My feet just wouldn’t completely move. I saw Principal Greyson taking in the entire scene. He gave me a questioning look and I avoided it by quickly getting my book for History.

I had History alone so Baekhyun wound up walking to class with some of his friends. I noticed he put on the old appearance that I hadn’t seen in so long. The smiles and happiness that had all once been a cover for something so dark and painful. It truly surprised me that I could see right through it.

The bells rung and the halls were empty. Empty halls were more satisfying than possibly having Vi in my class.

Something is seriously wrong with her.

I  became enveloped in the silence and my thoughts. My mind ventured back to the happiness I once had, the friendship we once shared. It was weird how someone you thought you knew could change so much.

-flashback-

I couldn’t remember the year but we were pretty tiny. I was sitting in the furthest and most secluded table in the cafeteria, alone. I sat there picking at my lunch. This was honestly the worst part of school time. The social scene. I prodded my lunch with the plastic spork when a shadow appeared, blocking the little light that was available.

“Hey, I’m Vianey! What’s your name?”

I looked behind me to make sure she wasn’t talking to anyone else. She wasn’t.

“Uh...”, I smiled, “I-I’m Zaion”

It was barely above a whisper and I couldn’t believe someone was talking to me.

“You’re weird.”

Facepalm!

“I like it, we’ll be great friends.”

A bit forward, aren’t we?

Vianey sat down at my table and from then on, we hung out. We shared laughs, secrets, ideas, complaints, wishes-everything.

-flashback over-

My mind was still wandering when I heard a voice.

“Back to your old habits, I see.”

I jumped a bit and turned. There was Principal Greyson.

“Uhm...do I have to answer or something?”

He chuckled.

“You do know that you’re going to have to face your fears, right?”

“What?”

“I believe you know what I’m talking about.”

I frowned.

“Greyson, if I knew what you were talking about I probably wouldn’t have asked.”

He smiled.

“You do know, deep down inside of you.”

I frowned deeper.

“Can you cut the wise man crap?”

“All I’m saying is that Vianey will probably be the least of your problems.”

“What on earth are you talking about? Maybe I should switch you to decaf.”

“Haha, Zaion, very funny”, he said sarcastically, “Just don’t put too much focus on Vianey no matter what happens. You may lose something special to you.”

Just like that, Principal Greyson walked away.

I wonder if he is as sane as people make him out to be...

“Oh, one more thing.”

Where does he come from?

“I’ve excused you from class, just this once.”

I nodded and made my way to my locker. There was only like three minutes left and next was literature. I actually liked that class, so I was gonna go.

After I grabbed my books, the bell rang and kids filed out into the halls. Baekhyun came running over to me and trapped me in a warm (but tight) hug, lifting me off the ground.

“Who are you and why are you squishing the daylights out of me?”

He laughed cutely and put me down. I looked at him and he was genuinely happy.

“What happened? Did you get a good grade?”

He shook his head.

“Did you get a fun project?”

He looked at me as if to say, ‘Really, Bish, Really?’

“Some guy gave you roses and chocolates, but you turned him down gently and decided to give the wonderful items to me?”

He looked at me like I was crazy.

“WTF?!?!?!”

“Hey, can’t blame a girl for trying!”

He rolled his eyes. I never noticed, but he had eyelashes that I would have killed for (hey, I still would).

“I was gonna be all mushy and romantic and say ‘It’s because I get to see you’ but yeah, that’s fine, too.”

I giggled and he poked my cheek.

“I have to go to literature and that’s my favorite class! Bye, baby boy!”

He narrowed his eyes at me and I walked away smiling. I was looking down so I couldn’t see what happened when I ran into something hard.

“ZZ, so sorry! Let me help you up, bestie!”

I stared at the cold, hard piece of crap I just ran into.

“You’re delusional”, I spat.

She snarled at me.

“I tried, but if it’s war you want, , it’s war you’ll get!”

I glared and tried to walk away. We were walking in the same direction!!! That thing was in my literature class! We both growled but I’m sure I was more upset, because when we both tried to squeeze into the door, I pushed her to the floor easily. Maybe I’d just gained more muscle. All that running I had to do with Baekhyun, I wouldn’t be surprised.

Literature class was awful. Spitballs, paper airplanes, whispers of nasty names and rumors! All that was going on behind my back. Literally! Vianey chose the seat behind me! When class was over, I jumped into Baekhyun’s arms.

“Errrr......Zaion?”

“Yeeeeeessssss?”

“What are you doing?”

“Nothing much, just tryna get close to my favorite oppa!”

I batted my eyelashes and his eyes widened as if he were mesmerized. He then shook his head vigorously.

“I will not let you do that! No more oppa!”

“But opp-”

He cut me off.

“Opp-”

“Stop!”

“Please, opp-”

“Nooooooo!!!!! Lalala I can’t hear you!”

He couldn’t cover his ears with me in his arms so I leaned closer to his ear.

“Oppa, saranghae”, I whispered seductively.

He cleared his face of all expression and put me down on my feet.

“I think I may cry. Excuse me while I go buy myself a collar that says ‘Property of Zaion’.”

He grabbed his books and went to his next class.

I definitely couldn’t hold in my crazy laughter. I was getting weird looks from guys and glares from other girls.

“What? Y’all never saw a person before?”

They all returned to their business and I set off to my next class...I can’t remember exactly which one... That class and the two after it were nothing special. I got in three good naps!

After that it was lunch so I just chose a table next to a window. Bad food and a window view. At least I got something from it. Baekhyun came over to my table with one of his friends. They brought lunch.

“When did you pack that lunch? Did you pack it last night? Why didn’t you make me one?”

His friend stared at us awkwardly.

“Hey, I’m CL.”

“Oh, hi”, I smiled then turned back to Baekhyun, “Did you?”

“No, this morning, when you brought Su-Young to the bus.”

“Oooooh!”

“Want me to share?”

I smirked.

“I thought you’d never ask.”

“No you didn’t. If I didn’t you were just gonna ask anyway.”

“You know me so well.”

CL smiled.

“It’s like you two are dating.”

I was going to deny everything. After all, if we were we hadn’t made it official. We declared our love for each other but never called ourselves a couple. I opened my mouth, ready to object, but...

“That’s because we are.”

I blinked.

“We are?”

He looked across at me.

“I mean, yeah, we totally are.”

CL frowned. Then he smiled. Then he frowned. Then the wacko smiled again.

“What’s up with your face?” Baekhyun and I asked together.

CL looked at the both of us.

“I was thinking, he’s Korean and you’re black. But then I thought of how great you looked together. I thought Baekhyun would wind up with a cheerleader. But Zaion has a flare and powerful look that no cheerleader could ever rock. Zaion, on the other hand, owns it.”

We both looked at each other.

“He asian?” I asked sounding like a stereotypical black girl.

“She’s brack?” He said mimicking a stereotypical asian accent.

We both laughed, leaving poor old CL in the dust.

We all began to get into a debate on whether or not french fries tasted better when dipped in milkshakes or barbecue sauce, when Vi came and reared her ugly head.

“Whatchu want, swampy ho?”

She rolled her eyes and leaned down to whisper in my ear.

“Friday during the pep-rally, meet me backstage, alone.”

Just like that she walked away.

“What was that about?” Baekhyun asked.

“Who’s the cutie?” CL was an idiot. He was lucky he was so chill or I woulda slapped him already.

“Nothing. Nothing I can’t handle. She just wants to meet me backstage at the pep-rally on Friday. Alone.”

“You call that nothing?”

Both guys stared at me questioningly.

“Relax guys. I’m gonna work out a plan.”



I’m gonna cut to the chase. It was our final period and Baekhyun and I had to leave half way through to go get Su-Young from school. The walk there was long and my feet began to hurt.

“Baekhyunnie, my feet hurt. Can I have a piggyback ride?”

He looked me up and down and started laughing.

“I already know you can carry me, I know you’re strong enough.”

“Fine, fine.”

I hopped on his back and he walked without a struggle or complaint.

“Awh, my oppa’s so strong.”

By this point, I had him blushing like mad.

“Oh, hey, Baekhyun, Baekhyun, Baek-”

“You are not a broken record, speak your mind.”

“Mkay. Know how you wanted a collar that said Property of Zaion?”

“I was joking.”

This was his face: -____-

“Well then I made this for nothing?!?!”

He laughed and I pulled it out. The collar was black with silver studs and ‘Property of Zaion’ in bold black letters on a silver plate.

“You took me seriously? When did you make it?”

“Yes and during third period.”

He looked teary eyed.

“Awh, I love it, jagi, but instead of calling it a collar can we call it a choker? That way it’s less emasculating.”

I laughed at him.

“Don’t lie you don’t want it.”

“Not true.”

‘Oh well I was just gonna say we should get a puppy but I guess you can wear it to school tomorrow.”

“No, no. I like the puppy idea....wait but it says Property of Zaion!!!”

I pretended to examine it.

“What do you know, it does.”

We laughed.

“I’m just kidding. A puppy is not property and I didn’t really want to give this to you. I was gonna put it on some random person while they were sleeping and claim them as my own.”

I was on his back but I could tell he was confused as to why I would do that.

When we got to Su-Young’s school, Baekhyun stopped dead in his tracks and I hopped off his back.

“What’s wrong?”

He pointed and it was then I saw Mr. Byun making a B-line for the school doors. Baekhyun ran so fast I could have sworn Kid Flash died a little inside. Of course he dragged me along with him. He pushed me in the door  and blocked the entrance. Su-Young ran over to me and I took her around the back while Baekhyun ran to catch up.

I started running much earlier than he did and he still made it there before we did.

As we walked to my house, we took the route that lead to the back door of my house. You won’t believe who I saw on the way there. The Braum’s cashier biotch. She waved at Baekhyun and flipped me off. Of course when she saw Su-Young, she must have assumed something, but she looked at us two then at Su-Young and put on a look of...hmmm...guilt!

When we got home, Su-Young fell asleep in the extra bed in my room. Baekhyun and I were awake and downstairs. I was laying upside-down on the sofa and he was on a giant pillow on the floor.

“Lay next to me.”

“Why? I just got comfortable being upside-down.”

“Too much blood to the brain is not good.”

“They say a lot of candy is not good either but that doesn’t stop me from possessing two boxes full of candy that are each half my height.”

He gasped.

“Where. Is. The. Candy?”

I grinned in an almost sadistic way.

I went in the little room under the stairs and pulled out the boxes.

Long story short, he and I went through a whole half of a box and had the biggest sugar rushes ever. We were all over the place. We laid in (and jumped) in every bed. We played in all the sinks and we ran all around playing with toys and all that good stuff. By morning, we came crashing down from our highs. We couldn’t go to school like that so we stayed home. We let Su-Young stay too.








A/N:  I apologize in advance if the weirdness was just too much XD!!! I had so many ideas bouncing around inside my head so yeah... Anyway, Things are actually gonna get heated but that’s only before I end this...the story is almost over, darlings. Either way, I want you to comment. I apologize for any disappointment!