Shanghai

Dooley on Tour

Gyu Won bit her lip as she stared at the mirror.

'It looks great!' Bo Eun encouraged. Her best friend smiled weakly back at her, still unconvinced. The dress seemed a little... too basic. Bo Eun shook her head with a grin. When Gyu Won was worried about something, no amount of encouragement from Bo Eun could convince her.

But this time, Gyu Won really needed the encouragement. Yesterday, she'd received several tweets insulting her outfit from the Tokyo concert. 'Too dull', 'You look seventy', 'Get off the stage, grandma' were only the beginning. Gyu Won had tried to keep it together, and so far, she hadn't cried at all but you could tell now, as she stood staring her reflection down, those spiteful comments were the only thoughts in her mind.

Bo Eun sighed. 'Rosie! Got anything to say to Gyu Won?' she asked loudly before she winked twice. Her manager didn't move, still looking up at the ceiling with a pen poised in her hand. Bo Eun sighed again. Wasn't anyone going to listen to her today? 'ROSIE!'

With a jump, Rosie blinked twice to alertness and smiled broadly. 'Gyu Won you look great! Don't listen to those haters!'

Bo Eun glanced at her watch. They had arranged to meet the guys in ten minutes. She grabbed Gyu Won's arm and dragged her towards the counter but little did she know that Gyu Won, in her insecurity, had grabbed a very little black dress on the way.

Five hours later, Gyu Won found herself behind the increasingly familiar black curtain for the last act. She breathed in heavily and closed her eyes. 'Grandma', 'seventy', 'fashion disaster', flashed through her mind. She looked down at her dress. A yellow sunflower maxi. And a cardigan.

'Ten! Nine! Eight!' the backstage crewman called out. Gyu Won sighed. This was her fashion sense. She was supposed to remain true to herself, right?

The crewman continued, 'Seven!', and almost immediately Gyu Won thought '-ty. I look like I'm seventy.' She scrunched her eyes shut and when the curtains seemed to finally open, all Gyu Won could see were the people in crowd who were ready to judge her. A long sunflower dress and a cardigan. What was she thinking?!

Gyu Won shouted sorry to the backstage crew and ran back into the costume room, wiping away the tears she had held back for more than a day. She sat down at the makeup table and furrowed her head into her crossed arms lying on the desk, attempting to muffle her cries. A knock came at the door and Gyu Won looked up.

Before she could see who it was, she spotted her own reflection. Even her makeup was nothing like a normal twenty-two-year-old would wear. The knock sounded again. Gyu Won looked up at the television in the room, showing what was happening on stage. There was Joon and Bo Eun, looking like they were stalling for time.

'Gyu Won?' a small voice said from behind the door. Someone was here to call her back on stage. Gyu Won looked in the mirror again. One look was all she needed. She grabbed the short sparkly dress off the costume rack and walked towards the door, resolved to make a new image to the world.

Twisting the doorknob confidently, she opened the door. It was Shin. He began to speak, but the sparkles on the black dress caught his eye. 'What's this?' he asked, suddenly very serious. Gyu Won's confidence dissipated into the air as she quivered 'Just a dress'.

Shin shook his head and Gyu Won looked expectantly up at him, still quivering slightly. Suddenly, Shin pulled her close and hugged her. 'That dress isn't you,' he whispered.

'I know,' Gyu Won replied, beginning to sob again, 'but the tweets...'

Shin released her from his hug and looked her in the eye. 'The tweets mean nothing. You are beautiful to me, and if anyone wants to insult you about that, I'm going to stand by you.' Gyu Won smiled weakly and Shin looked up at the television.

Bo Eun and Joon were finishing their act.

He pulled Gyu Won in for another hug and kissed her on the forehead. 'Are you ready, Gyu Won?'

She nodded and wiped her tears before dropping the sparkly dress and following her loving boyfriend right up on stage.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hi subscribers, hope you enjoyed this chapter, even though I personally feel it was pretty bad.... sorry! Feedback still welcome in the comments, and thanks for all your support.

yum-mochi