{7th Summer}

Summers with Hae (I remember…)

 

{7th Summer}

 

I remember when I gave you my sketchpad and you gave me something out of the beach.

 

I can’t wait to see you my best friend.

 

---

 

We are in the wooden dock on the beach, near my grandparent’s house. Donghae has been sick with flu that’s why we put off on going around town this summer and we spent time either at his house or mine. Sometimes he would be fine and then after awhile he would tire and get sick.

 

We were seated on the edge with our legs dangling, feet on water. We just finished a pizza and few hotdogs for dinner and we are just waiting for his father to fetch him, he’s not in the right condition to ride his bike.

 

He doesn’t want to ruin the summer because of his flu. Even though I said it was fine and we could just stay indoors he still insisted.

 

Yesterday we went to the mall and watch a movie and visited his mom’s grave. I finally met his mother, well sort of. It was nice, the feeling I mean, I can’t put a finger on it but I was glad that Hae made me visit with him. We cleaned the surrounding and put flowers on the tomb.

 

After offering our silent prayers we head back home and just sat on the dock watching the sun set.

 

“This will be my last summer here Hae.” I said after a long silence between us.

 

“I know” He said, and hugged himself rubbing his hands on his arms as if his jacket wasn’t enough shield on the cold night. He smiled at me.

 

“I’ll be back in four years” I promised, more to myself that for him. “Or maybe I’ll get lucky and can go visit for thanksgiving or Christmas”

 

“My summers won’t be the same anymore Kyu” He said

 

“I know, mine too” I sighed, he makes me feel worse for not choosing to study in town but I was accepted at a prestigious university and I can’t turn it down, not with our business being on the rocks and my mother being pregnant. “Hey don’t sound like we are not going to see each other again. We can still send letters, or call each other or we can use the internet”

 

“You’re right” He said but he doesn’t feel relieved or cheered by the thought of the means of communication.

 

“Cheer up. This will not be the last of us Donghae” I said. I don’t really get him sometimes.

 

“Just do well in college, make us proud” He said and I just nodded because there’s nothing left to say to that. We just stared at the setting sun.

 

“Hae, I have something for you” I said after a while

 

“What is it?” He asked but I know he knows what it was. I carry it almost every time I’m with him.

 

“A sketch pad” and I chuckled at his expression.

 

“But I can’t draw” He whined.

 

“It’s not for you to draw in; I have filled it with sketches so you will remember” I explained and he started flipping through the pages, smiling.

 

“Oh, Thanks. I have something for you too” Hae handed me a simple box with a blue ribbon on it. I didn’t even notice he was hiding it on his jacket.

 

“What is this?” I yanked the bow and ribbon out and opened the box. Inside was a simple wooden frame about eight inches in height, 6 inches in width and the frame was thick. The smooth wood reminds me of the sand, and I know by the looks of it it’s hand crafted. What’s inside the frame is sand, white fine sand with different shells. Imagine a snow globe but its square and no water in it. It was lovely, and it instantly reminds me of the beach and Donghae, which made me miss him already.

 

“This is wonderful Hae! Now I feel awful for just giving you my sketchpad”

 

“Don’t be such a dickhead, your gift is better. I wish I could draw” He said and we laughed. We tell some jokes and planned for what is yet to come. I told him we should plan ahead so when I get back our schedule will be packed. It was like time stopped but then we heard a honk and it was Officer Lee’s cruiser and it was time to go.